• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 6 @ E3 2012 - All Footage discussion

Xpliskin

AI_ResidentEvil6.jpg

Alright.
Instead of making multiple threads, I thought it'd be neat to have 1 thread where we could discuss everything Resident Evil 6 @ E3 '12.
More importantly, the three 10 minute demos showing the 3 different types of gameplay.

They've just demoed LEON gameplay on the capcom unity stream.
Update: Capcom Unity chris and Jake footage up

Footage
-Gameplay montage
-Microsoft Conference
-Capcom Unity Leon gameplay (footage starts at 3:20) (credits to Grim Reaper)
-Capcom Unity Chris gameplay (footage starts at 3:50)
-Capcom Unity Jake gameplay (footage starts at 2:40)
-E3 2012 Story trailer [WARNING: Contains MAJOR SPOILERS]
-IGN Video Preview (A lot of gameplay footage from the 3 campaigns)
-GTTV Jake Gameplay (Jake & Sherry co-op)
-Showfloor Chris gameplay shakycam footage (credits to alrightstart)

Capcom Unity Leon demo
After watching the leon demo, it's safe to say the Microsoft Conference footage is not representative of how the Leon campaign plays.

The reason is, when you only have 5 minutes to showcase a game you need to put a lot of dynamic elements in it to amaze the crowd. I won't be surprised if that segment is very different in the release version.

Beth Cyra

While I was saying it was very possible that Leon's gameplay would be different in Tall Oaks I don't know if it really matters at this point.

I mean I'm personally super excited and besides it running a little rough it's still my overall most wanted game.

Curufinwe

I think he has a flashlight mounted to his ear or something.

I'm still going to get it but impressions like these are very disheartening.

http://www.gamespot.com/features/gameplay-is-dead-long-live-gameplay-6380559/

Following 2011's trends of turret sequences, quick-time events, and cinematic set pieces, E3 2012 has showcased its own share of quick-time events and cinematic set pieces. On one hand, this is a sensible marketing approach. The more movie-like the showing, the easier it is for the publisher to control the pace and content we see. They want us to see explosions, carnage, and dudes in heavy armor shouting words like "delta" and "bro" and "Go! Go! Go!" The alpha male audience responds with fist pumps and high fives at highly controlled scenarios that may or may not reflect the gameplay at large. Even more standard gameplay can look remarkably cinematic on these stages: the developer playing the game has spent hours practicing and preparing so that we see exactly what they want us to see. It can be hard to tell what events are organic to the game, and what events are scripted and impossible to avoid.

And thus my biggest disappointments were the games that stuck so closely to the script, and Resident Evil 5 may be at the top of the list. It was all button prompts, explosions, corridors, quick-time events--and a tiny bit of zombie shooting. In other words, it was all the tired Western game cliches in a game I hoped would avoid them.

raven777

AI_ResidentEvil6.jpg

Alright.
Instead of making multiple threads, I thought it'd be neat to have 1 thread where we could discuss everything Resident Evil 6 @ E3 '12.
More importantly, the three 10 minute demos showing the 3 different types of gameplay.

They've just demoed LEON gameplay on the capcom unity stream.

Footage
-Gameplay montage
-Microsoft Conference
-Capcom Unity Leon gameplay (Footage starts at 3:14)
-Capcom Unity Chris gameplay (Wednesday 12 pm)
-Capcom Unity Jake gameplay (Wednesday 3 pm)
-E3 2012 Story trailer [WARNING: Contains MAJOR SPOILERS]

Capcom Unity Leon demo
After watching the leon demo, it's safe to say the Microsoft Conference footage is not representative of how the Leon campaign plays.

The reason is, when you only have 5 minutes to showcase a game you need to put a lot of dynamic elements in it to amaze the crowd. I won't be surprised if that segment is very different in the release version.

edit: nvm I got it to work. :)

Carbonox

I think he has a flashlight mounted to his ear or something.

I'm still going to get it but impressions like these are very disheartening.

http://www.gamespot.com/features/gameplay-is-dead-long-live-gameplay-6380559/

I don't expect much drooling when the writer is a supposed lifelong RPG fan and the site chooses to highlight this very fact in his bio. I'd like to read feedback from more unbiased sources.

However, what he said isn't 100% incorrect despite the over-exaggeration. There's a lot of SHOOTBANG and BOOM in Resident Evil 6. However, it's to be expected.

I wouldn't as disappointed with this if the action looked good....

...but it doesn't. Shooting, running, taking cover, animation, enemy reactions, etc. etc. all look way beneath previous games. Doesn't have that RE4 or even RE5 polish to the combat. Very choppy. I do like the new melee moves and slide/prone stuff they've given to you that was displayed in the Leon preview.

RPGCrazied

Looks good. Bring on October! Though I really don't like the forced coop. The AI for Shiva was really bad, so I have to look forward to that again, other than that I can't wait.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Capcom Unity just streamed some Leon gameplay, and I thought it looked great. I especially love how, despite greater maneuverability, you will actually stumble if you run over bodies on the ground.

All my fears from yesterday are gone. All the new gameplay footage I have seen shows one hell of an action game. It has incredible boss battles, well thought out co-op moments and so much variety in gameplay. GOTY.

Did you guys not see the Jake gameplay on GTTV, amazing!

This IGN video preview, godly! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbjT1XVsB9g

Beth Cyra

My only real problem with 6 is Chris feels so out of place.

Unlike some, this isn't because I don't want him here but simply how he is presented. I love Chris, and hopefully his demo will make me think differently but so far when we get each new peice of media I keep thinking Chris is here just to say he is.

Curufinwe

I don't expect much drooling when the writer is a supposed lifelong RPG fan and the site chooses to highlight this very fact in his bio. I'd like to read feedback from more unbiased sources.

However, what he said isn't 100% incorrect despite the over-exaggeration. There's a lot of SHOOTBANG and BOOM in Resident Evil 6. However, it's to be expected.

Well the author also loves a pure action game like Vanquish, so I wouldn't worry too much about him also liking RPGs.

You know the combat seems good, but it looks so janky. The camera, the animations and enemies are even more stupid and useless than in the past RE games...

There's a fundation for a great action game but somehow looks off. Clearly needs way more polish.

Didn't see the Tall Oaks Leon footage before. Gameplay looks a LOT better than in the China video.

I like the stumbling over bodies aspect, and will get used to the ground-dive move.

BUT DAMMIT IDIOTS OF COURSE SHES INFECTED YOU DON'T TAKE HER INTO A DARK TIGHT AREA. GAWD!

Sectus

I'm happy with how the game looks. I was worried they'd move away from the style of gameplay which made RE4/RE5 great but it seems the core mechanics are similar but with an even bigger emphasis on melee moves.

I think I might stop looking at footage at this point though, I feel like I'm getting enough stuff spoiled for me and I'm already convinced this is something I'll get day one.

Beth Cyra

All my fears from yesterday are gone. All the new gameplay footage I have seen shows one hell of an action game. It has incredible boss battles, well thought out co-op moments and so much variety in gameplay. GOTY.

Did you guys not see the Jake gameplay on GTTV, amazing!

This IGN video preview, godly! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbjT1XVsB9g

WTH at the Chris bit? That was both Spoiler heavy and not at the same time.

Chris is drinking? To drown himself in something? This man has saved the world multipletimes, killed thousands of monsters. Unless Jill or Claire is dead this just doesn't make sense.

Curufinwe

Yup that unity footage made a much better impression on me, still wish Leon was solo though.

Have we seen if you have to micro manage the co-op partner like in RE 5?

I was hoping for a more Uncharted-style system where a CPU controlled character was invincible and stayed out of the way.

Carbonox

WTH at the Chris bit? That was both Spoiler heavy and not at the same time.

Chris is drinking? To drown himself in something? This man has saved the world multipletimes, killed thousands of monsters. Unless Jill or Claire is dead this just doesn't make sense.

It was revealed when the game was announced that 6 months before Resident Evil 6, something happened in Chris's life that changed him. I guess at the beginning of Resident Evil 6, he became an alcoholic because of this event (no one knows what it is yet but I reckon it's something to do with Jill or Claire too). Then Piers gets him back in to the military fray as per what was said in the video. Chris stays a cunt in the game, everyone's happy.

Sectus

Have we seen if you have to micro manage the co-op partner like in RE 5?

I was hoping for a more Uncharted-style system where a CPU controlled character was invincible and stayed out of the way.

I think that's the system the game is using. There's been no signs of AI commands or managing your partner's inventory.

Beth Cyra

It was revealed that 6 months before Resident Evil 6, something happened in Chris's life that changed him. I guess at the beginning of Resident Evil 6, he became an alcoholic because of this event (no one knows what it is yet but I reckon it's something to do with Jill or Claire too). Then Piers gets him back in to the fray. Chris stays a cunt, everyone's happy.

We knew Chirs changed.

However until this, I had never heard that it took that direction. Chris has never shown any thing that would lead me to think he would take this particular turn. Chris was generally a nice, if socially awkward fellow, so the turn to both Rage and this seems a bit much.

Sectus

It was revealed when the game was announced that 6 months before Resident Evil 6, something happened in Chris's life that changed him. I guess at the beginning of Resident Evil 6, he became an alcoholic because of this event (no one knows what it is yet but I reckon it's something to do with Jill or Claire too). Then Piers gets him back in to the military fray as per what was said in the video. Chris stays a cunt in the game, everyone's happy.

Thinking back to RE5, they had a marketing campaign for the game with live action ads with Chris not handling the events of RE5 after it was over. That might be related. I kinda hope not as it would be bad to have a very cheesy marketing campaign affect the storyline.

Carbonox

We knew Chirs changed.

However until this, I had never heard that it took that direction. Chris has never shown any thing that would lead me to think he would take this particular turn. Chris was generally a nice, if socially awkward fellow, so the turn to both Rage and this seems a bit much.

Might result in a more interesting character though if pulled off correctly. I'm down for character progression. Leon's still your typical reserved US agent geezer though. Maybe the events in this game, especially with Ada hovering around, change him too.

Thinking back to RE5, they had a marketing campaign for the game with live action ads with Chris not handling the events of RE5 after it was over. That might be related. I kinda hope not as it would be bad to have a very cheesy marketing campaign affect the storyline.

Well the love of his life is dead after all. RIP Albert.

Beth Cyra

Might result in a more interesting character though if pulled off correctly. I'm down for character progression. Leon's still your typical reserved US agent geezer though. Maybe the events in this game, especially with Ada hovering around, change him too.

Given I was the guy who said years ago he thought it would be awesome to have Chris either die or turn out Gay I wouldn't complain.

Just not a change I had been expecting. Him screaming at the woman (though he does seem to calm down really fast with Leon) always had me think he was having rage related issues. Had no idea about the abuse or leaving the BSAA.

I never laughed so hard at Leon diving to slide on the ground then flopping on a dime to flip over. I mean, what IS that?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
there's something about the visuals in this game that I really don't like at all. I remember liking the looks of RE5 a lot more, even if it was technically less impressive, or something.

soultron

Banned
I'm pretty sure the ground TPS gameplay will be emulated in a lot of games from now on.

It seems really fun.

Max Payne 3 really could've benefited from a prone system like the one in RE6. The roll and slide functions look great.

The MS conference worried me, even as a casual RE fan. The bit with Leon and Elena wandering around with the guy looking for his daughter was great, but I'm worried there won't be many great moments like that in the game. Still have to wait and see.

The one thing that bothers me though is that the game seems to be going for 3 different styles of gameplay. Jake is more melee-focused (GodHand? Please be true!), Chris is RE5, and Leon is attempting to be the most "classic" RE of the bunch. My problem is that I feel at least one of those will be disappointing.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Looks really nice visually. Hopefully you can turn off the crosshair and just have the laser sight. It looks really weird having both.

I can't put my finger on it, but something about the gameplay just feels... off.

I don't know if it's the janky running, the way zombies don't really react to getting shot, or the fact that it just looks unpolished.

I dunno man, I just to be super excited about new Resi's, but this one doesn't do it for me.

Salsa

This is my all footage discussion: all footage looked like shit.

But i'll play it, and I still hope there's more RE4 oriented stuff in Leon's part.

Vamphuntr

Leon's demo footage is so much better than the awful bit from the MS conference. Animations still look poor unfortunately. I'll still wait on that DD demo to make an opinion for myself.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Looks really nice visually. Hopefully you can turn off the crosshair and just have the laser sight. It looks really weird having both.

The IGN video shows no crosshair.

The E3 presentation was really underwhelming, but the IGN video looks much better.

Top Bottom