• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil VILLAGE: Winter's Expansion | Review Thread

Draugoth

Gold Member
fcb9b3ff-07b5-4689-b40d-f0241ad5c975.jpeg

Game Information

Game Title: Resident Evil Village: Shadows of Rose

Platforms:

• Xbox Series X/S (Oct 28, 2022)
  • PlayStation 5 (Oct 28, 2022)
  • PC (Oct 28, 2022)
  • Xbox One (Oct 28, 2022)
  • PlayStation 4 (Oct 28, 2022)
Trailers:

Developer: CAPCOM

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 75 average - 55% recommended - 24 reviews

LIPWTWz.jpg

Metacritic - 72 average - 17 critics

fRmHmZo.jpg

Critic Reviews
Atomix - Sebastian Quiroz - Spanish - 85 / 100
The story of Ethan Winters comes to an end. Resident Evil Village Shadows of Rose is the perfect epilogue to this game. The big expansion of the title manages to meet our expectations, although it is not without errors.

Bazimag - Bahram Bigharaz - Persian - 9 / 10
Shadow of Rose is not only one of the best expansion packs released during the entire series, but in many ways, it is a better title than the original Village. A title that focuses heavily on fear and survival and has succeeded well in achieving its goals. Although in terms of story, the audience is not provided with a new point, but in terms of gameplay, we are dealing with a very high-quality work that is faithful to the classic versions and RE7.

Destructoid - Chris Carter - 7 / 10
Solid and definitely have an audience. There could be some hard-to-ignore faults, but the experience is fun.

Dexerto - Sam Smith - 7 / 10
The Resident Evil Village: Shadow of Rose expansion provides lots of reasons to jump back into the game. The third-person mode alone gave us many more hours of fun in one of our favorite horror playgrounds in recent years. From a technical point of view, the Shadow of Rose story chapter is more Resi goodness with some fun new gimmicks to change things up. The little chapter sits neatly alongside other bitesize Resident Evil stories, but those who were hoping for the third and final chapter in the Winters family saga may be left feeling slightly shortchanged.

Everyeye.it - Giuseppe Carrabba - Italian - 8.5 / 10
Resident Evil Village Gold Edition boasts a really wide range of content, and able to satisfy the tastes of a wide range of fans. Fans of the iterations of the series in the third person will find a good reason to relive the exploits of Ethan Winters once again, while those who do not hold the tension too well could take advantage of the new view to better manage it, so as to recover an adventure with some ideas less in focus but with an enveloping atmosphere, a playful substrate of level and a visual presentation of great caliber.

Everyeye.it - Giuseppe Carrabba - Italian - 7.5 / 10
The missing piece of the great mosaic of the Winters family, whose vicissitudes have played a central role in the last iterations of the series, is a pleasant addition to the now wide offer within Resident Evil Village, although not without structural ups and downs or missed opportunities.

Fextralife - Yuria - 8 / 10
Resident Evil Village invites players back into the fray with a new protagonist to follow. As Rose you will have different way to combat enemies and a ton of puzzles to solve. The expansion is described to be around 4 hours long but you can easily spend more in order to be more thorough and it will also depend on the difficulty mode you play. If you're a fan of the main title, this will give you another fun ride while revisiting some familiar places as well as more character options for the arcade styled Mercenaries Additional Orders. Ideally for those who want to extend their Village experience and see the finale of the Winters' tale.

GameGrin - Erin McAllister - 9.5 / 10
The Winters' Expansion is a beautiful extension of what Village already has, offering plenty of new ways to have fun, whether that means making the base game easier or getting to punch everyone in the face as Chris Redfield. But the real tour de force here is Shadows of Rose, a storyline that offers a more psychological style of horror than the franchise usually plays in and is worth every penny.

GamePro - Samara Summer - German - 85 / 100
Successful horror with a refreshing protagonist and varied mechanics, but unfortunately without new areas.

GameSkinny - Thomas Wilde - 7 / 10
The Winters' Expansion doesn't add content to Resident Evil Village so much as it seasons it. There's some fun to be had here, but as a whole, it's a little insubstantial.

GameSpew - Richard Seagrave - 8 / 10
For those who enjoyed Resident Evil Village and want to spend more time with it, perhaps also getting a hint as to where the series the heading next, the Winters’ Expansion should be considered a must-have. Shadows of Rose offers an enjoyable shot of true horror, Additional Orders invigorates Mercenaries mode with new life, and third-person mode gives players another way to experience two campaigns. For the modest asking price, why wouldn’t you want to make your copy of Resident Evil Village feel definitive?

GameSpot - Richard Wakeling - 6 / 10
New additions to The Mercenaries make the Winters' Expansion for Resident Evil Village worthwhile, but Shadows of Rose is a fleeting slice of forgettable story DLC.

God is a Geek - Chris White - 7.5 / 10
Resident Evil Village: Winters Expansion offers new ways to play the original, and Shadows of Rose is pretty good, but is quite short and didn't leave me satisfied by the time the credits rolled.

Hobby Consolas - Alberto Lloret - Spanish - 88 / 100
The expansion of the Winters is an interesting addition, although it pales in comparison to what Capcom did with Resident Evil 7. It includes much less content, less varied and surprising. And it's a shame, because Capcom had enough to take from to tell new stories or focus on other characters, starting with Lady Dimitrescu.

Metro GameCentral - Adam Starkey - 5 / 10
An uninspired retread of Resident Evil Village's best moments, which squanders the opportunity to experiment or provide a hint about the franchise's future.

PSX Brasil - Ivan Nikolai Barkow Castilho - Portuguese - 80 / 100
Shadows of Rose is a nice addition to the Resident Evil Village story, bringing new puzzles with new gameplay mechanics. However, it uses the same enviroment as the base game and its ending is disappointing. The Third Person Mode is interesting and should please those who avoided the title for being in first person. Finally, the new characters in The Mercenaries are valid additions, but needing to unlock them is unnecessary and because of this it is possible that many players will not even see them.

PlayStation Universe - Michael Harradence - 8 / 10
Resident Evil Village: The Winters' Expansion is packed full of great content and definitely worth putting down the cash for. While Shadows of Rose feels cut a little short in terms of potential, it's still a great narrative-based DLC and a unique look at some familiar areas, while the third-person view and extra Mercenaries content is the icing on the cake.

Polygon - Kazuma Hashimoto - Unscored
Shadows of Rose isn’t a spectacular DLC, and it doesn’t necessarily do or say anything meaningful. It feels like a B-tier horror film, which isn’t out of place for Resident Evil, though its sometimes self-serious tone can become tiring, especially after two whole games in the decidedly grim saga of the Winters family. Those invested in their narrative will find something to chew on, and the addition of the third-person perspective makes returning to the base game an exciting possibility. But it doesn’t do anything to further the narrative. Much like Rose herself, it feels less like a stepping stone in the franchise — a gentle nudge toward more plot points that will potentially remain unresolved for years to come.

Push Square - Liam Croft - 8 / 10
Shadows of Rose makes up for its short runtime by ensuring every minute of it is quality. With some incredibly inventive sequences, enjoyable puzzles, and the usual Resident Evil gameplay loop, Capcom sends the story of the Winters family out on a high.

Saudi Gamer - Arabic - 8 / 10
An enjoyable short experience mainly because it is based on an excellent foundation, but in itself doesn't offer anything new or exciting.

Spaziogames - Domenico Musicò - Italian - Unscored
The expansion of Resident Evil: Village uses the most cunning of premises to recycle a couple of areas of the main adventure, reworking them to make them somehow different to go through. We find it to be the quickest way to complete a lazy and uninspired job, both in terms of gameplay and in terms of history. Although the saga of the Winters family has been given the right conclusion, the end result smacks of potential gone to waste.

TheGamer - Eric Switzer - 2 / 5
Shadows of Rose is a shorter, worse version of Resident Evil Village. It’s so committed to recreating a micro-version of Village and following it beat-for-beat that it even copies its major flaws. It concludes in the same location with the same info-dump of lore that quickly wraps up all the loose threads. It ends with the same boss fight (somehow even clunkier and more frustrating this time), and unbelievably, also ends with the exact same cutscene. The scene where Rose visits her father’s grave at the end of Village isn’t the start of Shadows of Rose - it’s the end of it. There’s no new context that makes this scene more meaningful, and in fact, that weird line where the driver calls her Eveline is an even more bizarre thing to say after these events. Capcom is quickly running out of Resident Evil games to remake, and this expansion didn’t give me a lot of hope for the future.

Twinfinite - Joel Tapia - 4.5 / 5
When all is said and done, Resident Evil Village: Winters’ Expansion is DLC done right. The expansion manages to expand upon things and give me modes and features I didn’t even realize I wanted until I had it. Not to mention that the real star of the show, Shadows of Rose, is Resident Evil storytelling at its absolute best. While I may have a few gripes in the execution, I had such a fun, yet terrifying experience playing this game that I believe the DLC is well worth it for everyone, especially those who played the game a year and a half ago.

VGChartz - Evan Norris - 6 / 10
It suffers from clichéd situations, recycled environments, and overly-guided gameplay. That said, it's a fairly good DLC that wraps up some loose ends, provides closure, and introduces some interesting mechanics and monsters.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
With over 25 year's of gaming I think I'll wait for my review.
which squanders the opportunity to experiment or provide a hint about the franchise's future.
Shadow of Rose focuses more on fear and survival with a more psychological horror style and a first for the protagonist to have Supernatural abilities.
And this douche says it doesn't experiment....
Tom Cruise What GIF

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
im just interested in the shadow of rose DLC, need a closure.

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
Preordered the expansion a few weeks ago, was only £15.99, I'm looking forward too it, dlc length appears to be nearly half the length off the main game.

fcb9b3ff-07b5-4689-b40d-f0241ad5c975.jpeg

Game Information

Game Title: Resident Evil Village: Shadows of Rose

Platforms:

• Xbox Series X/S (Oct 28, 2022)
  • PlayStation 5 (Oct 28, 2022)
  • PC (Oct 28, 2022)
  • Xbox One (Oct 28, 2022)
  • PlayStation 4 (Oct 28, 2022)
Trailers:

Developer: CAPCOM

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 75 average - 55% recommended - 24 reviews

LIPWTWz.jpg

Metacritic - 72 average - 17 critics

fRmHmZo.jpg

Critic Reviews
Atomix - Sebastian Quiroz - Spanish - 85 / 100

Bazimag - Bahram Bigharaz - Persian - 9 / 10

Destructoid - Chris Carter - 7 / 10

Dexerto - Sam Smith - 7 / 10

Everyeye.it - Giuseppe Carrabba - Italian - 8.5 / 10

Everyeye.it - Giuseppe Carrabba - Italian - 7.5 / 10

Fextralife - Yuria - 8 / 10

GameGrin - Erin McAllister - 9.5 / 10

GamePro - Samara Summer - German - 85 / 100

GameSkinny - Thomas Wilde - 7 / 10

GameSpew - Richard Seagrave - 8 / 10

GameSpot - Richard Wakeling - 6 / 10

God is a Geek - Chris White - 7.5 / 10

Hobby Consolas - Alberto Lloret - Spanish - 88 / 100

Metro GameCentral - Adam Starkey - 5 / 10

PSX Brasil - Ivan Nikolai Barkow Castilho - Portuguese - 80 / 100

PlayStation Universe - Michael Harradence - 8 / 10

Polygon - Kazuma Hashimoto - Unscored

Push Square - Liam Croft - 8 / 10

Saudi Gamer - Arabic - 8 / 10

Spaziogames - Domenico Musicò - Italian - Unscored

TheGamer - Eric Switzer - 2 / 5

Twinfinite - Joel Tapia - 4.5 / 5

VGChartz - Evan Norris - 6 / 10
Can you uncap the framerate to 120?

dDoc

Sounds like a dud tbh.

Didn't care much for RE8 unfortunately. Not a bad game, but far from Remake2 tier.

Last edited:

zokie

years ago , despite me having motion sickness i still bought REVII at launch but capcom decided to have gold edition made me feel sad

thus i skipped vanilla RE Village cos its entirely FPS and it will take me ages to complete it as similar to REVII

long story short , REV Gold Edition is a bonus for me cos its entirely 3rd person and i can play it to my hearts content and i will be getting it on day 1

Last edited:

Matt_Fox

Hmm, exploring new environments are a highlight of Resi and it's a bit deflating to hear it takes place in the same as the main game. Probably wait on this one.

The biggest thing that stood out to me in any of these blurbs is that it does absolutely nothing to further the plot or even give Rose a story or leave a cliffhanger for 9. That sounds annoying as fuck.

Mephisto40

The biggest thing that stood out to me in any of these blurbs is that it does absolutely nothing to further the plot or even give Rose a story or leave a cliffhanger for 9. That sounds annoying as fuck.
I assume that's coming in the second DLC, I'm sure they said they'd be 2 DLC's for this game

MiguelItUp

I can't wait until the RE:Verse reviews come in.
Popcorn GIF by WWE
Honestly, I think the best way I can describe it is "dumb fun", lol. I mean, no one asked for a Resident Evil deathmatch experience, but, what's there works surprisingly well, and is mindless fun. It's come pretty far from the first playtests. Not even gonna lie, I think I'll be enjoying that more than anything else the DLC has to offer, lol.

It even has a roadmap!
ReVerse-Roadmap.jpg

So, they're putting time into it, just crazy to think about. But hey, as someone that grew up with and adored deathmatch, it's just nice to have it again in some shape or form from a "AAA" dev, lol.

For the Rose stuff, I don't feel too surprised. I'll play it, but hey whatever. I thought Village was a fine experience, but I personally didn't get the praise a lot of people had for it. But I don't regret buying this DLC for $10-$15.

Last edited:

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Does the 3rd person perspective work well or does it feel tacked on?

Kinda tacked on, I mean, it sure as hell doesn't feel like the "normal" 3rd person RE's, in fact, after playing the new demo I lost all interest I had for the DLC - firstly 'cause...I didn't find RE8 to be anything special to begin with (or even enjoyable - and i've completed it on my xsx) and second, because the 3rd person mode really is... not good, that's my take anyway.
Maybe I'll get this a couple of months /years down the line when it'll be dirt cheap.

Last edited:

SCB3

Honestly, I think the best way I can describe it is "dumb fun", lol. I mean, no one asked for a Resident Evil deathmatch experience, but, what's there works surprisingly well, and is mindless fun. It's come pretty far from the first playtests. Not even gonna lie, I think I'll be enjoying that more than anything else the DLC has to offer, lol.

It even has a roadmap!
ReVerse-Roadmap.jpg

So, they're putting time into it, just crazy to think about. But hey, as someone that grew up with and adored deathmatch, it's just nice to have it again in some shape or form from a "AAA" dev, lol.

For the Rose stuff, I don't feel too surprised. I'll play it, but hey whatever. I thought Village was a fine experience, but I personally didn't get the praise a lot of people had for it. But I don't regret buying this DLC for $10-$15.

You know whats the most annoying thing, RE as a MP co op game can work, if its like Outbreak and not some weird PvP game that most people will never touch

If it was me in charge, I'd have outbreak like scenarios like Back for Blood or Left 4 Dead and randomise item and enemy placement, add in classic costumes and maybe characters and thats all you'd need, suport it with further scenarios down the line

Isn't this supposed to be the end of the Winters saga, I wonder if they pulled back on doing Rose for RE9 and instead maybe finishing off Chris' Story or going back to Leon or Jill?

Nautilus

Banned
Seems bizarre if true, given that they clearly like money and have made games and DLC before.
I'm too lazy right now to search, but I'm 95% confident that they said that RE8 never had any plans for a DLC, and that they changed their mind because of how well RE8 performed. There is a reason this DLC took almost 2 years to make, while most stuff for RE 7 was done in one year.

Edit: The game came with Reverse for free, so I guess they thought that Reverse was enough to bring the extra revenue that an expansion would normally bring. And well, Reverse was crapped to the end of times and I guess that made them change their minds.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

You know whats the most annoying thing, RE as a MP co op game can work, if its like Outbreak and not some weird PvP game that most people will never touch

If it was me in charge, I'd have outbreak like scenarios like Back for Blood or Left 4 Dead and randomise item and enemy placement, add in classic costumes and maybe characters and thats all you'd need, suport it with further scenarios down the line
Oh yeah, definitely. It's a shame because I feel like the RE fanbase has been clamoring for a PVE experience like Outbreak for YEARS. But, it keeps falling on deaf ears...

That being said, I was always making fun of Re:Verse cause it was easy to do so. I'm just surprised it's as decent as it is. They even added cross-platform, lol. I had no idea they were going to put so much work into it.

Last edited:

SCB3

I'm too lazy right now to search, but I'm 95% confident that they said that RE8 never had any plans for a DLC, and that they changed their mind because of how well RE8 performed. There is a reason this DLC took almost 2 years to make, while most stuff for RE 7 was done in one year.
Yea I remember that being the case that there were no plans for Village DLC at all

Northeastmonk

Gold Member

Edit: The game came with Reverse for free, so I guess they thought that Reverse was enough to bring the extra revenue that an expansion would normally bring. And well, Reverse was crapped to the end of times and I guess that made them change their minds.
Judging by Capcom’s showcase. The team likes RE7 a lot. I thought 2 of the DLC for 7 was good. I liked End of Zoe more than Not a Hero even when Not a Hero was suppose to be the throwback DLC. I had a feeling like Capcom answered the call when they announced Village DLC. It sold well and it was probably requested by the fans. I think they played it safe.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I mentioned it before about not being to fond of the new 3rd person mode. Were others here also not too pleased with it? I feel like I’m a lot of the tight areas, if I hadn’t played and beaten it a couple of times, I might not have noticed certain items or places to go. Or was it just me?

Side note, I prefer third person to first person. But this felt like a Bethesda type handling of third person.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Would my vanilla game saved with all my stuff unlocked work with this gold version? I might be more interested in 3rd person if my unlimited ammo stuff was usable. I originally rented the game from GameFly.

Isn't this supposed to be the end of the Winters saga, I wonder if they pulled back on doing Rose for RE9 and instead maybe finishing off Chris' Story or going back to Leon or Jill?
It is the end of the "Winters Saga", but having absolutely nothing plot wise about anything regarding the future of the games, which is what the blurbs made it sound like, sounds annoying. I guess 9 can just do what 4 did and write off everything that came before it in a sentence as an afterthought.

I guess it doesn't matter much. The RE plot is such convoluted nonsense anyway. You could tell me it's part of Star Wars canon at this point and I'd just say "yeah sure that checks out."

Top Bottom