• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian development experiencing technical difficulties, says Sony

Sony's much-anticipated The Last Guardian was not shown during Sony's E3 press conference earlier this week due to "technical difficulties," Sony Worldwide president Shuhei Yoshida has said.

Talking to Eurogamer, Yoshida explained, "The team is back in Tokyo working hard, and there are some technical difficulties that the team is focused on right now. That's why we don't have an update."

When asked whether the game will definitely be released at some point for PlayStation 3, he responded, "When we have confidence in saying that, we will talk about it. But today, we are working through some engineering effort."

This is the latest hiccup in a string of delays, staff changes and publicity mishaps for the game. Last year Sony said that it was delaying the title, while retailer GameStop mistakenly told its customers that the game was cancelled.

However, multiple Sony studios are now working to get the project out the door as quickly as possible.

source: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...campaign=Feed:+GamasutraNews+(Gamasutra+News)

hpxJg.gif

glaurung

TLG confirmed for PS4? Technical difficulties as in the new console isn't completely ready yet so the team has to adjust the game architecture to match the new machine.

How long has it been now for TLG?

Sax_Man

Banned
This is just really embarrassing. They should just shut up if they don't have anything new to show or say. These statements are just laughable at this point.

Gomu Gomu

However, multiple Sony studios are now working to get the project out the door as quickly as possible
Uh oh, this is the first time I'm really concerned about the quality of this title.

Haunted

Next generation launch title please.

This is just really embarrassing. They should just shut up if they don't have anything new to show or say. These statements are just laughable at this point.
Well, he did get asked about it.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
"Sorry, we forgot how to make a videogame for 7 years".

I'd have "technical difficulties" with taking an entire team out back and shooting them behind the sheds for this sham of a development too. Its what makes us human.

Kanguro

Neo Member
Team ICO is dead. They had so much potential to deliver unique gaming experiences in a medium where it's often sorely lacking. I was honestly expecting a long PIXAR like career with 5-10 unique masterpieces. Instead after just 2 games they seem like a flash in the pan.

RIP

:Sadface

2San

I think it's nice to have a status update every now and then. At least we know it isn't abandoned yet.
Team ICO is dead. They had so much potential to deliver unique gaming experiences in a medium where it's often sorely lacking. I was honestly expecting a long PIXAR like career with 5-10 unique masterpieces. Instead after just 2 games they seem like a flash in the pan.
They should've been switched over to handheld development. Hindsight is 20/20 though.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Well, Japan as a whole has had trouble with software development this gen, so you can't say this is unexpected.

Biggzy

It's perfectly feasible that Team Ico can go an entire generation without releasing a game. The team really have fucked up.

Sounds like it was over engineered

Its probably good they bring in other expertise. Team Ico is a very small studio

Still, why has no Japanese dev managed to do it right this gen?

Atomski

If they are having trouble developing for the ps3 I doubt making them develop for another even more complex system will help much.

orioto

Good Art™
When you think about it, if Sony can put some exclusive last guardian and FF Versus on PS4 for launch period, that would be pretty awesome.

I wonder if Sony will just close the studio down after this debacle is done with. Team Ico doesn't make profitable enough games to be worth this kind of hassle.

pargonta

I'm starting to feel like they should close this down sadly.

I want it, but this is a downward spiral like no other.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
6 frames per second.

In a single part of a game that can be skipped and miss nothing of importance and is getting a pc version release? Oh and even if you went that way you could just run past everything in less than 5 minutes? kay! :D Sure that one part sucks, doesnt make the whole game suck. So yeah I guess SotC was pretty shitty too going by that example

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Well, at least we had that trailer a couple of years ago! Right guys? Right?

That's probably the only thing that exists at this point. They should really just can this failed venture, and either shut down Team Ico or transfer them to other parts of SCEJ.

This really is sad. I really hope they do just delay it until PS4 now, otherwise it will get left in the next-gen launch rubble.

Chaser

Unsurprising, but still disappointing to hear.

I still believe this game is going to be an incredible experience - Ueda is too gifted a designer for it not to be - but they clearly went in over their heads with the scope and look of the game. I was perfectly content with a long development process because of this, but 'technical difficulties' comes off as a bit worse than that. In any case, I hope we finally get to play this relatively soon, and I especially hope Ueda continues to work on games in some capacity in looking past TLG.

Top Bottom