• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seriously, who ever used the N64 controller properly?

Shahadan

Even in google images I only find things like this :

VeaK3.jpg

As opposed to the right way, with your left hand in the middle.

I never used it the way I was supposed to either btw.

So? Denounce yourselves.

Vinci

Danish
Even in google images I only find things like this :

As opposed to the right way, with you left hand in the middle.

I never used it the way I was supposed to either btw.

So? Denounce yourselves.

Define 'properly.' That was the first Nintendo console I didn't own because I couldn't stand the Rubik's Cube that was its controller.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I've only ever seen people holding it with the left hand on the middle handle and the right hand on the right handle.

I always used it with left hand in the middle. Almost every game I played had the controller set up that way, and I never had a problem using the controller.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I could never work out how to hold that controller. Holding the left handle made me unable to reach the analogue stick with my thumb, and holding the middle handle just felt uncomfortable. Hated the N64 controller.

PKrockin

How the fuck is that even playable? How do you hit Z? Why the fuck would anyone do this?

This.

Can we somehow capture and interrogate the people who did this? What possible thought process could result in holding the controller like that?

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I think I touched the left prong about 10 times in the 4 years I owned an N64. What sort of monsters didn't hold the middle prong when using the stick?

I held the left handle for about 30 seconds when I first touched the controller.

Then I held the middle part for the next 6 years because I wasn't crazy.

Seriously, like 5 games actually used the L button and D-Pad. It was for all intents and purposes a 2 pronged controller like any other with a growth on the left.

Eusis

My dad did it even though I used it properly, but he never did play it that much anyway. I can't imagine anyone putting serious time into it continuing to hold it that way.

I only knew one kid who used it like in that picture and that was because he was a hard headed idiot. Everyone else used it the right way.

Jaroof

I held it like the picture in the OP.
Comfortably, at that.
I guess I just have a knack for holding controllers in weird way and making it comfortable in my own way..
My brother always tells me I hold the 360 controller weird, too.

It wasn't until after the Wii released that I found out you weren't supposed to hold the left handle when playing games that used the analog stick.

Derrick01

Banned
I used to play it with my left hand on top of it and I used my thumb and index finger on the stick. Only years later did I find out that I "was doing it wrong". Even if I was able to play everything well. That controller was by far the most uncomfortable one I've ever had to use though.

Eiolon

I could never hold it properly. I used it exactly like in the OP's photo. I could control the sensitivity of the analog stick better that way.

Dipswitch

How in blue blazes did people play games using it as shown in the OP? I guess I fall into the "right way" camp then.

Everyone else is crazy.

Koyuga

I was like, 12 when I got an N64. There's no way my hands were monstrously large enough to hold the controller like that.

edit: Hell, I can't even reach the stick that way now!

Tucah

you speak so well
I have never, ever seen anyone holding the controller as shown in the OP. Left hand in the middle is the only way that makes sense, especially with the Z button.

Top Bottom