• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ShopTo claim Nintendo lose out (and more!) in UK consumer habits survey

Develop has the story.

key points
  • the average UK gamer spent £334 last year on their
  • 35% of gamers spending more times playing smart phone games than with their consoles
  • 9000 gamers surveyed ±7% error
  • average gamer purchased 16 games last year
  • 80% own two consoles

“Gamers are changing their gaming device of choice with more getting their casual gaming fix from Android and iOS devices,” said Igor Cipolletta, Founder and CEO of ShopTo.
“Interestingly, we are seeing game sales on the Nintendo consoles losing out as the casual games market on portable devices continues to grow.”
Nintendo has been particularly hard hit by the mobile trend, and the survey found that although 65 percent owned a Wii, only four percent of Wii owners had bought a game for the console in the past year.
This may change with the release of the Wii U and other next generation consoles.
“The fact is consumers have more gaming devices than ever before, with thousands of games being published every week and this, coupled with the lack of new hardware from Sony or Microsoft, is seeing consumers move to mobile devices as their platform of choice,” said Cipolletta.
“We believe this trend will reverse when the next generation of consoles are released beginning with the Wii U this Christmas.”
I have to question that 4% statistic with a Zelda game so recently out.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Not a shock considering Nintendo pretty much abandoned the system last year.

Captain Obvious - survey analysis.

Games on smartphones are a growing industry (with bad revenue- and earn-margins at the moment), while Nintendo abandoned the Wii for known reasons.

Carl

Nice, basing results for the whole country from a survey of 9,000 people

Not only that, but 9,000 people who use ShopTo, which is relatively little known. Only well-known amongst forum-goers. Which swings the results a lot

Nice, basing results for the whole country from a survey of 9,000 people

Not only that, but 9,000 people who use ShopTo, which is relatively little known. Only well-known amongst forum-goers. Which swings the results a lot
I think 9000 is a pretty decent size for a survey that ran two days. Yes the website caters to core gamers very well. But it should also be noted that they're one of the largest players in games behind the giants like Amazon, Tesco and Play (who wouldn't give out this kind of data even if they had it). I'm not an expert on the markets shares but It's certainly not some mom and pop operation.

These results aren't enormously surprising, but let's not pretend that ShopTo is any kind of representative slice of the population.

Carl

I think 9000 is a pretty decent size for a survey that ran two days. Yes the website caters to core gamers very well. But it should also be noted that they're one of the largest players in games behind the giants like Amazon, Tesco and Play (who wouldn't give out this kind of data even if they had it). I'm not an expert on the markets shares but It's certainly not some mom and pop operation.

Oh no, of course not. But i'd imagine the vast majority of people who use it are "core gamers" (i hate that phrase). Almost all people i point towards the website in real life have never heard of it.

Top Bottom