• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dungeon Fighter Live: Fall of Hendon Myre (XBLA) July 13th

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
BoxArt-219x300.jpg

Dungeon Fighting Begins July 13th!

Breaking news via the PlayXBLA blog.
Their blog doesn't state it, but at E3, the game was stated to be releasing for 800msp.

Achievements: 20 for 400 points

Now you can experience the game already loved by over 200 million players on XBLA! Dungeon Fighter LIVE features:4-Player Co-op, Offline or via Xbox LIVE!

That’s right, now you can team up to clear dungeons with 3 other players on the same console or via Xbox LIVE.

Unique Dungeons and Legions of Monsters
Each dungeon you explore offers unique challenges and requires a different strategy.
The deeper you delve into the dungeons, the more monsters you’ll have to defeat.

Hundreds of Items
Create and enchant items to defeat stronger enemies and collect even more items!
Trade items with other players for more customization options, and to help a fellow fighter, of course.

Story-Based Campaign
Delivered in dynamic comic style, this dramatic storyline will drive your Dungeon Fighter to the limit!

New HD Graphics
See the world of the Dungeon Fighter like you never have before.

E3 Trailer

ScreenShot01.jpg

ScreenShot02.jpg

ScreenShot03.jpg

ScreenShot04.jpg

ScreenShot05.jpg

ScreenShot06.jpg

DFO on PC always felt like Capcom's D&D as an MMO-like game, so now we get to see the MMO-Like truly become a full Capcom D&D clone!

Wile first it was thought that this would be a straight port of the PC game, this seems to have become it's own thing. Looking forward to seeing how a focused game from this world works, have always enjoyed the art of the game...

I lament the loss of the other classes just like any old DFO/D&F vet would (DLC?), but I hope this turns out well!

Love beat em ups, so I'll probably go for it. DFO was actually not bad, just has that awful grind and repetition around it. Distilled into a solid campaign this could be pretty awesome.

$10? I'll probably pick it up. Thankfully there's not a high chance of my Xbox Live account being hacked and I lose all my items like what happened with DFO.

Is there any microtransactions in DFO? I'm interested in this but probably less so if I'll be encouraged to spend actual money to avoid a mega-slow grind.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Wasn't this originally supposed to be the same game as DFO on the PC?

Also where's the loli mage?

Assumed it'd be the same, but was never said to be. As more news came out, it became more obvious it was it's own thing, and the info from the E3 mini-conference solidified that notion.

The Loli mage is hanging out with the new Shota Male mage in PC DFO, which apparently just got upgraded today.

So uh I thought this was going to be one of xbox live's first F2P games, now it costs a flat out 800 msp?

Eh.

See above. Yeah, it was just speculation by people who knew what DFO / DNF was. It was never stated officially as such, just assumptions.

Is there any microtransactions in DFO? I'm interested in this but probably less so if I'll be encouraged to spend actual money to avoid a mega-slow grind.

On PC? Sure, it's a F2P that's full of item-buying micro-transcations.
On Xbox? It'll have them, it seems. The E3 info seemed to suggest you could buy lifecoins and cosmetic items in a premium shop in game, but that there was also extensive in-game cash shops, and actual USEFUL stuff (like weapons, armor, etc) seems to be tied to that shop, and the in-game crafting / upgrade systems.

I spent more on the PC cash shop than I'll probably ever have to spend on this version, haha. Especially if the items aren't RANDOMLY SELECTED like they were on PC (not sure if this changed since then...)

LordAlu

I always wanted to play DFO, signed up for it only to then find buried somewhere under pages of forums that you needed to be in the US, and after spending 4 hours wondering why I couldn't play I could not be bothered to do any proxy stuff.

It was really great of Nexon to not to actually state before download that you needed to be in the US. :/

Is this getting released on the EU XBLA as well? Gonna at least try the demo.

Raide

Will get this day one if/when it arrives EU side. I wonder if they will be adding the other classes and content progressively or not?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Well, the game was translated into 8 languages, so this should have a pretty worldwide release.

(English, Korean, Chinese, French, Spanish, Italian, German, and Japanese)

Don't get your hopes up too much for the additional classes as DLC yet, as mention on XBLA fans comments section:

Nick Santangelo said:
It sounded like they it's pretty much set with the three. We were told that it would release as a complete game and there are no DLC plans as of now.

I'd love to see this get a quaterly stream of expansions and stuff personally, but I guess it has to, y'know, SELL well in the first place, haha.

I think, overall, Nexon views this game as a companion piece to the PC game, and not a full-on-replacement. I believe it's mentioned buying the XBLA version will even get you special items for the PC game, though I've only seen this mentioned in one place...

I've played Dungeon Fighter Online on and off and have actually just got back into it since it was added to Steam. Since Live is more its own game I may check this out.

Ultratech

I spent more on the PC cash shop than I'll probably ever have to spend on this version, haha. Especially if the items aren't RANDOMLY SELECTED like they were on PC (not sure if this changed since then...)

You mean Avatars? That got changed over a year ago, for better or worse. (Mostly cause it jacked up the economy when Avatars were dirt cheap on the AH, and then got VERY expensive when that change was made.)

Hmm I don't know...
Some of the bosses (like the giant octopi) have really frustrating and cheap hit-boxes. It kinda soured me on the whole thing.

Plus yeah it's a massive grind, especially when the random drops needed for quests starting having ridiculous rates just to extend playing-time.

Really looking forward to this. I had a blast with the original but yeah, it was super grindy. Can't wait to grab a copy at release.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
You mean Avatars? That got changed over a year ago, for better or worse. (Mostly cause it jacked up the economy when Avatars were dirt cheap on the AH, and then got VERY expensive when that change was made.)

Yeah, I got back into it to try out the mail mage, and I kinda like the avatar changes. It's a shame they're not to easy to buy with in game cash, but at least it's not a random capsule system anymore...

Hmm I don't know...
Some of the bosses (like the giant octopi) have really frustrating and cheap hit-boxes. It kinda soured me on the whole thing.

Plus yeah it's a massive grind, especially when the random drops needed for quests starting having ridiculous rates just to extend playing-time.

Eh, I dunno, the hitboxes never bothered me much. Especially as an online game.
And it's nowhere near as grindy as it used to be. Of course, I came from playing RO. The increased EXP for quest they added really helped the game feel like it kept it's pace much better, and quest drops never bothered me much, save for maybe 1 in sky tower back in the day...

Can this be played with an arcade stick? Does it have fighter stick motions?

I'd assume it should play well with a stick. The game DOES use fighter style motions on PC, I'd assume it'll do the same here. Down-Up+special, down-forward, back-forward, down-down, forward-forwards... You can even purchase move-cancels that allow the specific specials to be canceled into from normal attacks.

Also quick-rise and backdash cancelling, even grapples, holds, and moves with chain-enders... It's a brawler with a fighting game's soul, to be sure.

Decado

Not into grinding, but if it is a solid beat 'em up with local coop, I'm in. Is there a gameplay video of the XBLA version somewhere?

Tempted. Where is my Priest? =(

So how is leveling and loot gonna work? I wanna customize the hell of my character. Is there any of the pvp modes?

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
This looks interesting. What do you guys mean by "It's its own game now"?

Acosta

US only? I don't remember if Nexon did release the PC one in Europe, I just remember being quite pissed at them.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
This looks interesting. What do you guys mean by "It's its own game now"?

Everyone thought this would be a straight port of the MMO-like PC game. It appears this is more of a re-imagining of that MMO game, into a more straightforward arcade experience. It has a new last boss, changed controls, an apparently more fleshed out story, and it's own stage progression and town systems.

Can't even expect the characters to be straight ports, at this rate. We've seen little to suggest that, say, the Fighter has the same Grappler, Brawler, Nen Master, and Striker Sub-class trees. Does this game even HAVE sub classes? Could they have condensed it all into one class? Will our XBLA fighter be a "best of!" version of those subclasses moves, or did they just stretch out the core fighters abilities to make their own character blend, unique to this version?

There's not enough info out there to TELL, yet. Very odd, for a game so close to release :/

US only? I don't remember if Nexon did release the PC one in Europe, I just remember being quite pissed at them.

From the beginning, the game has been announced to being translated into these languages: (English, Korean, Chinese, French, Spanish, Italian, German, and Japanese). They seem to be targeting as wide a release as possible.

I just realized that this is releasing on a Friday, any idea why?

It's happened a lot this year. Fez and Mini-Ninja adventures released on Fridays, too, for example. It just seems like XBLA is so full of released this year, that they've shifted some to fridays, to try and get as many out by certain quaters, as they can.

Funny enough, I just started playing DFO after it appeared on steam. Seems pretty fun, wish they explained all the crafting/cubes/etc systems better. UI is also hella clunky.

I do kinda wish the 'hd visuals' of this game will somehow appear on the pc one. Didn't the head honcho mention DF would NEVER get HD visuals lol.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Well, it appears someone captured some gameplay from DFL from the E3 presentation:

As seen on Pandora.tv

So we can at least learn that the game has Avatar items in it, and they're using a wider range of skills than the previous previews have shown off. They also show off the Cut-in finishing attack stuff a bit, and you can see some redone effects (such as the style of afterimages on back-hops).

Funny enough, I just started playing DFO after it appeared on steam. Seems pretty fun, wish they explained all the crafting/cubes/etc systems better. UI is also hella clunky.

I do kinda wish the 'hd visuals' of this game will somehow appear on the pc one. Didn't the head honcho mention DF would NEVER get HD visuals lol.

The UI worked as well as I expect anything on PC to, I'm just glad the gameplay fits so well with a controller; really appreciate the special move commands, and not NEEDING to use Function keys and multiple shortcut windows.

Since the HD of this game seems to be from the outside dev they worked with to produce this version... I doubt they'd come to regular DFO.

It'd probably take ages for them to upgrade that whole game, which might be more trouble than it's worth. Also probably part of the reason the have limited classes and such in this XBLA version; some of it is genuinely redrawn / HD traced, and there's a LOT of content in DFO, especially when you consider all the avatar items and weapons have to fit all these animations...

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
NP :) The stream is on now, for those who might care, link is above in my previous post.

So far, we've seen that the Guy with the hat from the trailers was playable for the prologue section (he's a slayer)

The cinematics are motion comic style, with some limited animation and sound effects.

Town is basically menu driven. Snapping from option to option, while mixing it up with the NPCs on screen. (this is probably pretty smart for online play.)

The "Cut in" animation occurs when you land a finishing blow on the final opponent of the room. It's semi-detailed, in that it shows what you used to hit them (A special kick, an uppercut), and then a closeup of the character (that seems to change). Kinda like landing a super in a fighter.

Item names for dropped items actually scroll now, I believe they're just straight, LONG names on PC. This is a nice bonus.

There's 5 avatar awards (for you live avatar) in the game. The first was a Goblin Mask. Didn't see what the others where.

It SEEMS like the character subclasses are there. WHen viewing the fighter skill learning box (taught by GSD), there were 4 list to scroll, which look to have the expected Nen, Grappler, Fighter, and Brawler tabs at top.

Option for DLC (Every game has this...) and a Gallery (yay, enjoying the art) on the main screen.

There are 5 spots for you to save character to, it looks like. This was seen while they were starting a multiplayer game. You can decide which profile's story to work off of to, or at least if the player hasn't completed the tutorial...

The controls seem to work mostly the same, face buttons for default attack and jump and such. However, you can now hold trigger + button combinations to call up special moves, or use items. (I hope the special move motions are still there, but I haven't noticed anything saying one or the other...)

Mentions on a loading screen that you can only keep 999 items at one time. If you get more, can't carry anything else!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
does this have a good single or do you pretty much need xbl gold to play it?

Up to 4 player offline (note that online is available too, but that's Gold...). The game is built like a 90's arcade game, even moreso in this XBLA version, as it has a more focused story, and cutscenes. If you have friends, buying this for offline play would be like buying a longer, weightier version of something like Streets of Rage or the Capcom D&D games. Each character you create seems to level seperately, and it'll take quite a few hours to max each one (out of the 3).

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Stream Archive is up: http://www.twitch.tv/xboxlivearcade/b/324477876

Any hope of this coming to PSN?

From what I've heard, part of why this is coming to XBLA is because Microsoft handled a lot of the multi-region translation duties... So it's not likely, just yet? Microsoft is publishing it on Live, so there's normally some exclusivity with that, but it's not impossible to see some kind of port.

So unlikely so far, to find out any more, you'd have to ask Nexon / Neople, and anyone else involved with this versions development.

Top Bottom