• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dungeon Fighter Live: Fall of Hendon Myre (XBLA) July 13th

Raide

I have been pretty hyped for this game, plus I love loot games and dungeon crawlers. After watching the GB Quick Look, I am now really torn. DFO looked pretty awesome but the XBLA version looks really clunky with really poor animation and controls. Are they likely to sort this kind of stuff out or should I skip it? UK based, so playing the PC version is not possible.

orion434

Is there any other way to get Ressurection Stones besides paying Microsoft Points? I spent my "account bound" 10 Stones on Legacy weapons... seems like I made a huge mistake.

Labadal

I wasn't impressed with the demo. I got to play the same dungeon over and over again. And it didn't look very good. i might still buy it since graphics isn't a top priority. I like this type of game so I'll probably pick it up once my backlog is trimmed down.

Is there any other way to get Ressurection Stones besides paying Microsoft Points? I spent my "account bound" 10 Stones on Legacy weapons... seems like I made a huge mistake.

I'm level 10 and haven't seen any drop ever. I'm positive an NPC told me they are rare drops though...

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Got this and tried it briefly- wish I'd downloaded the demo first. :\ DFO is a little too "RPG" for my tastes and plays like a slow, stiff beat-em-up and the animation is awful. The first sets of enemies just stand there until you approach them and start attacking.

Back to Max Anarchy.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Got this and tried it briefly- wish I'd downloaded the demo first. :\ DFO is a little too "RPG" for my tastes and plays like a slow, stiff beat-em-up and the animation is awful. The first sets of enemies just stand there until you approach them and start attacking.

Back to Max Anarchy.

The game gets faster as you equip the right armor, and level up. And it is more stiff than the PC release, but the game really isn't truly stiff at all; it just has a pretty solid set of rules, and you have to adhere by them.

The animation is a funny issue, because it's actualy solid for what they go for (characters that have loads of different clothing, hair, weapon, and accessory pieces and designs, all which need to be seperately animated), but that's not a factor in this version yet, so it comes off pretty oddly.

DF's animation actually always impressed me, given it's scale. If there were less unique design elements, I'd expect better, but the tradeoff of animation VS style here isn't any worse than your average ASW game. And I'm kinda happy it's not tweeny-flashy looking, as most HD upgrades of Spritework games end up looking. It's got a nice unique looking going on, that's all it's own.

Maybe they'll look into improving the ferocity of the enemey AI in the demo in the future... I'm surprised how much this bothers people. First enemies are always fodder. But I'm always happy to reiterate, they're nothing like that in the full game. If anything, they're more aggro than the PC versions are, in these stages, and attack much faster and frequently.

So for those of you who have tried both, do you prefer the PC version of this or the XBLA version?

Still working through the XBLA version, but I'd have to say I prefer the PC version so far. There's a bunch of mechanical changes that seem to make the combat less interesting. I'm level 10 right now.

Obviously the PC version has it's own drawbacks, and I still plan to play through the XBLA version, but for the moment, I'd go with the PC version.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
So for those of you who have tried both, do you prefer the PC version of this or the XBLA version?

I prefer my beat em ups on console, and with Couch Co-Op. I went through DNF on PC with a variety of computers, and when one would hang or lag, all the rest connected would do. I love the fact we're all on the same hardware in this case.

The volume of content on PC is great, of course, and it offers more than enough to be a "full game" + DLC, as long as it's been alive.

If you could only play 1, and want to play a game that'll actually END, I'd say the XBLA version is a solid choice. But, if you love the genre, love the idea of leveling, and wanna see the crazy stuff the game transforms into at higher levels, then PC.

If you have no such restrictions, play both! I'm loving the art and presentation of the console game, and prefer it's agressive enemies in a way, but really miss the complexity of my PC Grappler, and raising my newbie Glacial Master...

HyperHip

I don't like the slower pace of the game, nor how frequent missing attacks are (feels worse than DFO). Replaying stages at least 2-3 times before advancing is also lame, and sadly Grand Flores stages are boring as hell and look the same.

Overall I see this game more as a DFO initiation game. So far the advantages I see for console is the option to play with friends locally and online who wouldn't touch the game because they won't bother with PC. I suspect that those who get addicted to DNL will want to venture into DFO.

orion434

I'm level 10 and haven't seen any drop ever. I'm positive an NPC told me they are rare drops though...

I'm lv 20 and 1/2 way through King's Road and I have yet to see a Ressurection Stone drop. I've read that you can sell Legacy weapons to obtain Ressurection Stones but I've tried to sell at least 1 to each vendor and all I get is gold? I DO NOT want to spend M$ points to get them... and the final Achievement doesn't let you use potions :/

Nose Master

Is it just me, or did they completely fuck up this port? It feels so god damn slow and clunky compared to the (free) PC version.

Xander51

Is it just me, or did they completely fuck up this port? It feels so god damn slow and clunky compared to the (free) PC version.

It's less a port and more a total reworking of some content from the PC game. I agree it's a little slower, but I'm still really enjoying it.

orion434

Unfortunate, was hoping for a rez stone. Suppose there's not much else to do with them though.

I'm basically at the end game now and I have yet to figure out a way to obtain Ressurection Stones outside of spending Microsoft points. If there is a Dungeon Fighter 2 I'll be sure to NOT pick it up.

jtrov

Had no idea this was out until I saw the GB Quick Look. Was very interested in the game when it was announced, but the QL made it look not so flattering. However, after trying the demo for myself, I was immediately having fun with the game. I unlocked the full version soon after and I got no regrets so far.

Overall I'm having a great time playing Dungeon Fighter Live. I'm having a lot of fun dungeon crawling and loot hunting and there seems to be quite a bit of content for a Beat'em Up. The animation does seem a little jarring at first, but that changed quickly as I progressed and the action got more intense.

So does anyone know what is on the table as far as DLC goes? New Dungeons, characters, skins, etc...?

Also if anyone wants to co-op some time during the week, let me know. My GT is jtrov.

Top Bottom