• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry - Black Ops 2 and the 60fps Challenge

NBtoaster

An analysis of the released Black Ops 2 footage.
There are some notable changes since Treyarch's last game. It also raises the question at just how much the engine can improve before the almost-60fps fluidity is lost.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-black-ops-2-60fps-challenge

Based on analysis of trailer footage (which seems to be from Xbox 360), the series' 1024x600 native resolution also sees a slight bump too - in one axis at least - now rendering at 880x720 with 2x multi-sampling anti-aliasing (MSAA).

In its marketing to date, Treyarch also talks about "bounce lighting" and ambient occlusion as new additions to the Infinity Ward engine. Based on what we've seen thus far, these appear to be "baked" into the levels (pre-rendered in other words) and the AO in particular is not present where we would expect to see it as a real-time screen-space effect - on downed opponents for example. We'll need to get a closer look at the game to see a better view of other new additions to the engine; intersecting shadows, self-shadows and "reveal mapping" (some kind of texture-blending technology we're not entirely clear on) have also been added to the mix.

Treyarch's intent seems to have been to target something approaching the visual richness we see in top-tier 30 frames per second shooters while retaining Call of Duty's trademark 60Hz update. While the overall sophistication of aspects such as physics, particle effects, texture quality and lighting might not be quite up to the standards of Battlefield 3, the overall level of presentation we see just from this slice of Black Ops 2 gameplay is impressive. Unfortunately, in common with the original Black Ops there is a clear hit to frame-rate and perhaps a sense of over-ambition in the design that is actively impeding performance.

Yes, the E3 code is obviously not final and we'd hope to see an optimisation push in the lead up to the product shipping, but the concern is that Black Ops 2 could break that perceptual 60FPS barrier - especially when the end segment of the demo, including the airborne section actually appeared to be running at a locked 30FPS. For what it's worth, video of the multiplayer mode shown on Spike TV (not taken from a live console in the studio, but direct-feed nonetheless) appeared to show a significantly higher frame-rate - not quite as solid as Modern Warfare 3 performance, but well within the perceptual 60FPS threshold. Arguably, maintaining that frame-rate is more crucial to the online game, where players running at a lower frame-rate - even momentarily - would be disadvantaged compared to those who aren't.

Sethos

Banned
880x720? What the hell kind of resolution is that? It's not anywhere near the aspect ratio of 16:9 or 16:10.

Don't worry, once you upscale it and the TV post-processes that image into a big blob smear, no non-IQ savvy person will notice.

HD gaming? HD gaming. Mostly play PC games so I wasn't aware of the fact that these sub-HD resolutions still existed in console gaming. Thought it was just a launch thing.

GHG

Gold Member
And its resolutions like that which are the reason i game almost exclusively on the pc now with the odd exception for exclusive games on the ps3 or games that never make it to the pc like dragons dogma

Raide

And its resolutions like that which are the reason i game almost exclusively on the pc now with the odd exception for exclusive games on the ps3 or games that never make it to the pc like dragons dogma

And yet, the vast majority of the millions and millions that will buy the game really don't care. God I hope they get a new engine for next-gen.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Don't worry, once you upscale it and the TV post-processes that image into a big blob smear, no non-IQ savvy person will notice.

Don't hate on my cinematic experience mate.

Who needs new consoles?

I'm glad that I'm not a PC gamer and don't really care about those little details.

I'm glad that I'm not a _ and don't really care about those _.

Let me get this going.

I'm glad I'm not a music listener and don't really care about those little instruments.

I once read that you don't perceive upscaling as much when it affects the horizontal resolution, so their new res is probably better.
I'm personally fine with some 30 fps segments in single player, as long as they do something new with the visuals.

Gaogaogao

Don't hate on my cinematic experience mate.

Who needs new consoles?

I'm glad that I'm not a _ and don't really care about those _.

Let me get this going.

I'm glad I'm not a music listener and don't really care about those little instruments.

on the flip side, I am a music listener, but im not an audiophile concerned with super high bit-rates.

Erasus

I'm glad that I'm not a PC gamer and don't really care about those little details.

These are not "little details", framerate and resolution matters in games. Even when I was a ps3 only gamer I cared about the stuff DF wrote. I do notice it more after getting a pc, but subHD games look kinda shit, and framerate drops like in Enslaved/RE5 actually disrupts gameplay.

So yea, dont generalise like that please, you are just justifying your own ignorance

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
on the flip side, I am a music listener, but im not an audiophile concerned with super high bit-rates.

Touché but the difference between 2560x1440 and whatever that 880x720 monstrosity is, is infinitely more discernible between say 320kbs and flac or w/e.

880x720?!?

OMFG... I just can't believe it. That kind of a budget, those sales and obviously no fucking technical know-how how to make a god damn game engine. It's 2012. people... 880? Seriously?
CoD fan, btw...

DonMigs85

GT5 renders at 1280x1080 then it's stretched horizontally.
The worst offender on PS3 is probably Midnight Club LA - it's full 720p on the 360 but a mere 960x720 on PS3, so it's noticeably blurrier.

mxgt

Banned
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

Erasus

Noob question but, why does that resolution look incredible on a TV and much less on a monitor?

TVs, and plasmas in partucilar, handle non-native resolutions better. But a PC monitor is designed to be run at its native resolution, in my case 1920x1080, so I dont think monitor makers bother to put a good scaler ship in a monitor, but on a HDTV where people watch SD stuff/DVD still (why.jpg) a good scaler is needed.

I have also heard that LCD is worse at handling upscaling than plasmas, but someone else has to confirm this

Nibel

They talk about all these enhancements and it still looks like to be on par with the last few games.

BlazinAm

Is there a way to figure out what the the original resolution is? As far as I know multisampling is a way to render a higher image then downsample for the output render image.

880x720?!?

OMFG... I just can't believe it. That kind of a budget, those sales and obviously no fucking technical know-how how to make a god damn game engine. It's 2012. people... 880? Seriously?
CoD fan, btw...

I think your statement is more OMFG... sigh.

Erasus

880x720?!?

CoD fan, btw...

They need to keep 60fps. (-ish)

Games like BF3, Killzone and Uncharted look amazing but are 30fps.

60fps has become a part of the CoD experience on consoles, they take it away and people would complain its "not as smooth/fluid"

adelante

880x720?!?

CoD fan, btw...
Did you not get the part they're targeting 60fps, like you know, every COD console game this gen?

These are not "little details", framerate and resolution matters in games. Even when I was a ps3 only gamer I cared about the stuff DF wrote. I do notice it more after getting a pc, but subHD games look kinda shit, and framerate drops like in Enslaved/RE5 actually disrupts gameplay.

So yea, dont generalise like that please, you are just justifying your own ignorance

Hey hey I'm not generalising anything. I said I'm glad I'm not a PC gamer and I do not care about these things. I didn't say I'm glad I'm not a PC gamer so I do not care about the details.

And yes, I'm ignorant to those kind of specs, I just play what I found fun.

TUROK

880x720?!?

CoD fan, btw...
That explains your ignorance.

You obviously have no idea how goddamn hard it is to maintain such a high framerate with so many enemies, particles, and scripted crap happening all around you. The CoD engine is one of the most efficient around. They even upped the pixel density from the previous games on ancient hardware, for fuck's sake.

Is there a way to figure out what the the original resolution is? As far as I know multisampling is a way to render a higher image then downsample for the output render image.
That's not what multisampling, you're thinking of supersampling.

I think your statement is more OMFG... sigh.

They need to keep 60fps. (-ish)

Games like BF3, Killzone and Uncharted look amazing but are 30fps.
60fps has become a part of the CoD experience on consoles, they take it away and people would complain its "not as smooth/fluid"
Did you not get the part they're targeting 60fps, like you know, every COD console game this gen?
Ok, stop.
Let me say something:

Is it not weird to you folks that a company like ATVI with that much money (primarily from CoD sales) and studios like Treyarch, IW, SG, ... isn't capable to make a brand new, 60fps game engine for those games? Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed BO and MW1-2-3 on my X360 and thought they looked and played great but to see them drop the resolution so much for a game that's supposed to be the "biggest CoD yet" is just absurd.
60fps can be achieved with great visuals (Rage and Bayonetta come to mind) and even if you factor in network play, I'm baffled that they can't figure out how to make a 60fps (which btw is perceptual 60fps, not a locked 60fps) with that much money and support. But obviously they don't have the tech know how. I can't see it other way.
Again, I love CoD games, I play them (not a diehard fan, but I get my share of fun) and this is just plain silly to me.

edit:
That explains your ignorance.
Don't insult me. I know a thing or two about game engines and how they're made and I feel perfectly OK expressing my opinion.

Ok, stop.
Let me say something:

Is it not weird to you folks that a company like ATVI with that much money (primarily from CoD sales) and studios like Treyarch, IW, SG, ... isn't capable to make a brand new, 60fps game engine for those games? Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed BO and MW1-2-3 on my X360 and thought they looked and played great but to see them drop the resolution so much for a game that's supposed to be the "biggest CoD yet" is just absurd.
60fps can be achieved with great visuals (Rage and Bayonetta come to mind) and even if you factor in network play, I'm baffled that they can't figure out how to make a 60fps (which btw is perceptual 60fps, not a locked 60fps) with that much of money and support. But obviously they don't have the tech know how. I can't see it other way.
Again, I love CoD games, I play them (not a diehard fan, but I get my share of fun) and this is just plain silly to me.

of course they CAN, but that would mean diverting resources from making their annual games to making a new engine. Activision doesn't do that, if you aren't making games, you're getting laid off or fired.

TUROK

I'm baffled that they can't figure out how to make a 60fps (which btw is perceptual 60fps, not a locked 60fps) with that much of money and support. But obviously they don't have the tech know how. I can't see it other way.

Don't insult me. I know a thing or two about game engines and how they're made and I feel perfectly OK expressing my opinion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZg8ebaARmY

No, you don't know jack shit. Stop pretending you do. Bayonetta is not 60 FPS locked on either console, and Rage has no dynamic lighting and uses a dynamic framebuffer to keep it at 60 FPS, so instead of dropping frames, it drops pixels.

They can definite change their engine to stay at 60 FPS most, or all the time, but that would require trade-offs in other areas, tradeoffs Treyarch is obviously not going to take, given the crap they take from people complaining about the graphics.
I enjoyed BO and MW1-2-3 on my X360 and thought they looked and played great but to see them drop the resolution so much for a game that's supposed to be the "biggest CoD yet" is just absurd.
880x720 has a higher pixel density than 1024x600.

880x720?!?

CoD fan, btw...

None of the years between 2005 and 2012 gave the Xbox 360 more EDRAM. Although with post-aa you could fit it all.

(As a point of comparison, the only other major 60fps console game I'm aware of (Rage) chose to not have AA at all *and* drop the resolution dynamically rather than use a fixed framebuffer size with AA.)

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed BO and MW1-2-3 on my X360 and thought they looked and played great but to see them drop the resolution so much for a game that's supposed to be the "biggest CoD yet" is just absurd.

It's an increase in resolution.

Atruvius

Damn! If 360 isn't holding 60 fps and isn't even HD, I wonder how bad the PS3 will be... This will affect my buying decision, if it's as shitty port as Blops then no sale.

Damn! If 360 isn't holding 60 fps and isn't even HD, I wonder how bad the PS3 will be... This will affect my buying decision, if it's as shitty port as Blops then no sale.

To be fair, the previous 360 versions were the same way. They weren't locked at 60fps and they didn't run in HD. Not that it means that the PS3 version is safe. It's Treyarch, so you never know what you're going to get after the job that they did on Black Ops.

adelante

Ok, stop.
Let me say something:

60fps can be achieved with great visuals (Rage and Bayonetta come to mind) and even if you factor in network play, I'm baffled that they can't figure out how to make a 60fps (which btw is perceptual 60fps, not a locked 60fps) with that much money and support. But obviously they don't have the tech know how. I can't see it other way.

edit:

Seriously? For starters, the environments in the Call of Duty games casts real-time shadows, as opposed to Rage's baked in lighting. If your teammates walk past any spotlights or lamps in those COD multiplayer maps, you'll see their shadows on nearby walls too. And lets not forget that the character models have self-shadowing as well, something Bayonetta doesn't.

Top Bottom