• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls and Dark Souls: What's the coolest BOSS?

Neiteio

Though I only own (and have barely scratched) Demon's Souls, I've been watching some Dark Souls media in anticipation of the PC release, and I quite like the Gaping Dragon. The deceiving appearance of a curious lizard when it peeks its head over the ledge, and then the massive six-legged, four-winged body that follows, with a spine-filled maw running down its chest -- so cool! Stuff like that makes the dark fantasy of the Souls series leagues beyond the generic medieval trappings they appear to channel at first glance (skeletons in armor and all that shit).

As I'm not familiar with most of the bosses in this series, I'd like to hear you guys share some of your favorites. Seems like there's quite an impressive array of beasties to slay here! Also, let me just add that the white-furred "chimera" they're adding in the Prepare to Die Edition and DLC is gorgeous.

Santiako

Smough and Ornstein, no doubt.
ornstein-and-smough.png

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
How is this not Maneater? Everything about that battle scares the shit out of you-- heights, darkness, appearance, challenge....then ANOTHER ONE shows up at the last minute.

In terms of design, Vagina Dragon.

Challenge, Ornstein and Smough.

"holy fuck how do I do this" is Tower Knight or Flamelurker.

Lamest boss is the butterfly.

Das coo, man is Sif. I love doggies.

:( is Maiden Astraea.

Shaffield

Playing against an actual human player (well, not always, buy fairly often) makes the Old Monk or whatever it was called at the end of the Tower of Latria probably the coolest idea for a boss in the two games.

As far as style and lore significance and other stuff like that, I would say its a tie between Astrea and Gwyndolin

How is this not Maneater? Everything about that battle scares the shit out of you-- heights, darkness, appearance, challenge....then ANOTHER ONE shows up at the last minute.

I let the second Maneater kill me. The first time a single player game has broken my will like that outside of games where you can start from pretty much the point where you died. I had about a third of my health bar left, and the battle was too intense for me to get the time needed to use a crescent moongrass. I got the first down to about a tenth of his bar, and just needed enough room to launch 2 or 3 soul rays at him. Next thing I know, I've got another one flying in from the side, and I've given up.

mxgt

Banned
Four Kings is another fight that succeeds in tension and atmosphere, I was shitting bricks.

But the design is kind of flawed and easy to exploit

Clevinger

Heh. I was just thinking about replaying Demon's Souls, but I forgot all about the Maneaters. Fuck that shit.

patsu

Das coo, man is Sif. I love doggies.

:( is Maiden Astraea.

lol. so true this.

Old monk and invaders are the wild cards. Old monk, especially, has the coolest boss trick.

Y2Kev

Four Kings is another fight that succeeds in tension and atmosphere, I was shitting bricks.

But the design is kind of flawed and easy to exploit

A lot of Dark Souls' bosses are kinda garbagio. Demon's and Dark both have tons of cheesery and camera glitching, but the Four Kings, Nito, Ceaseless Discharge...crapola.

Maybe I'm being harsher because they are fresher in my memory.

joe2187

Banned
Priscilla the crossbreed - I loved the fight with her, She's the only boss you encounter that gives you a choice to leave rather than fight her. Even then the fight with her is pretty fucking cool, It's kind of like fighting The Predator, not to mention that the Painted World is one of my favorite levels in the game.

Sif - The giant grey wolf, The music, the atmosphere of the arena, and when you wittle him down to his last 20% of health. :'(

Ornstein and Smough - One of the most amazing boss fights I've ever played, even better is playing co-op against these guys

Gwyn is my favorite. The music, Gwyn's overall appearance, and the stress of fighting Gwyn without a shield and without exploiting the parrying system is so fun. After that it's probably Penetrator without knight bro. He's a little more predictable than Gwyn, but it's fun trying to predict his attacks and working your way behind him so you can't get a few shots in.

Boss Man

False King (fucking hard), Flamelurker (fun), or Old Monk (genius).

I think I have to go with Old Monk at the end of the day.

Y2Kev

False King is hard as balls. I think I cheesed him using poison cloud.

That boss felt like a Castlevania boss.

Flamelurker is a really great and close fight until you get him down to %25-20 health, then he turns to the biggest asshole there is.

batbeg

The Old Monk is the most insane boss I've ever fought, its just so fucking brilliant.

I haven't beaten Dark Souls yet but the biggest holy shit moment for me was using the master key to get to the forest early only to see a fucking hydra.

laika09

Never played Demon's Souls, but Sif was the coolest by far in Dark Souls.
Smough and Ornstein took me like 15 tries :|

Sadly I didn't figure out where he was on my first visit to Darkroot so I ended up destroying him at like level 60.

Boss Man

It's telling that everyone has to spit out multiple encounters, especially since some people probably haven't even played both. These games are incredible.

Luigi87

Considered Sif, but I think I gotta say Smough and Ornstein.
What happens when one dies is just "Aww, hell."

Design-wise, I like Nito the most.

As for gameplay and challenge (not just difficulty, but actual fun in coming up with a viable strategy), it's gotta be Ornstein & Smough.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Tower Knight made a really good impression. In terms of 'fun', the False King and Maneater boss battles were nicely designed. And yeah, The Old Monk battle was great too.
I remember that fight took me over 1 hour as I didn't realize I was actually fighting an online opponent. I did manage to defeat him in the end, felt pretty good.

Dark Souls' bosses were just underwhelming and too easy. I don't really have any favorites, but that Sif guy was a real pain.

Yo Gotti

Banned
Demon's Souls - Flamelurker. He kicked my ass so many times, this is a fight that keeps you on your toes the entire time. His lore is pretty cool too
possibly the dad of the blacksmiths?
Dark Souls - Sif. Such a badass boss, and his back-story makes him not only my favorite boss in the series but probably my favorite character.

Honorable mentions:
- Iron Golem. The first time I fought him was epic, he gets really easy once you figure out his weakness though. Love his armor set too.
- Garl Vinland. Sparring off against this guy is always fun.
- Capra Demon >:D, just for how many stories I've read of him kicking noob ass. Extra points for the fact that
he's not even a boss!

I'm surprised. The only bosses I died to were Flamelurker and Leechmonger, and that's because they are VERY devastating if you don't know what you're doing. I even killed False King first try, granted I used a lot of items.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Dark Souls Sif ( I felt bad for the MF)
Demon's Soul Flame Lurker. (I almost shit my pants with that one)

Boss Man

Tower Knight made a really good impression. In terms of 'fun', the False King and Maneater boss battles were nicely designed. And yeah, The Old Monk battle was great too. I remember that fight took me over 1 hour as I didn't realize I was actually fighting an online opponent. I did manage to defeat him in the end, felt pretty good.

Dark Souls' bosses were just underwhelming and too easy. I don't really have any favorites, but that Sif guy was a real pain.
Spoilerz man!

I wouldn't say you're in the wrong for posting it here, but I'm willing to bet a lot of people (including the OP all the way through) haven't played Demon's Souls yet.

Neiteio

Spoilerz man!

I wouldn't say you're in the wrong for posting it here, but I'm willing to bet a lot of people (including the OP completely yet) haven't played Demon's Souls.
Um, I'm the OP and I said -in- the OP that I own and have played Demon's Souls. BUT, I haven't got that far. Still, I don't care, spoil away. :)

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Demon's Souls: Tower Knight, Allant, Flame Lurker, Dragon God, Maneater, Old Monk, Vinland + Astrea.

Dark Souls: O&S, Four Kings, Gwyn.

Top Bottom