• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls and Dark Souls: What's the coolest BOSS?

Eh, he's got his (slow) AoE, (fast) charge and his combo that he can do immediately after his charge. It's an amazing boss, that's not an opinion.

The AoE takes a long time to charge and can be cancelled by hitting him once and the charge move is not hard to evade. But still, it's a great boss.

Probably. I was also going for as much towards plat as possible, so I was like SL230 or something.

Not really, I fought him at around level 50 and the soulsucker move didn't kill me. Armour matters more than level.

Belenos

Banned
I found him pretty fucking dumb. At mid range he doesn't really do anything. He's super easy for ranged since he doesn't pursue like a lot of the other bosses

I agree. Flamelurker and the Maneaters are way way worse. Still a great fight though.

Eh, he's got his (slow) AoE, (fast) charge and his combo that he can do immediately after his charge. It's an amazing boss, that's not an opinion.

Maybe I would have felt differently if I was playing another class. I didn't really have to go toe to toe with him which I guess where most of the thrill came from. The prelude to the fight was great, just found it anti-climactic given all the hype

I think the biggest issue with Gaping Dragon is heavy vs. light armor. That fight is a joke if you can run quickly.
Pretty sure I was a clunking heavy armoured chap, hmmmm.

Ash Lake ought to have a boss. I love that zone.
I stumbled upon that place too early I think, before I faced Queelag. The Hydra was more than enough boss for me at that point, and then of course after finally slaying it I had to travel back through the embodiment of fear itself, the land of the Basilisks/Fume Frogs!

One more boss I'm going to point out, Crossbreed Priscilla, this one was interesting for me because the first time I reached her and she told me to please leave I actually did just leave, then later on when missing the last of the necessary boss souls I figured she had to be on the kill list for some reason (i'd forgotten about the Four Kings). So I went back and reluctantly killed her only to find out that I never had to kill her, I felt pretty bad if i'm honest.
The fight itself wasn't much to talk about but it left a lasting impression on me anyway, you guys can take your Sif, this is the fight that made me sorrowful.

laika09

Pretty sure I was a clunking heavy armoured chap, hmmmm.

My first playthrough with heavy armor I got destroyed by the corrosive spew. Second playthrough, at the 25% weight breakpoint, I didn't take any damage whatsoever. This game is so deep though, there's an infinite number of variables that could make it easy or hard for someone, I suppose.

BeeDog

In terms of scariness, I honestly find the Four Kings the absolute worst. It's the concept of fighting them in a void that frightens me, and having them off in the distance and 'growing' exponentially when you close in on them. The lack of perspective/no way to anchor their position/size is what throws me off and scares me.

Funnily enough, this is essentially the same reason the thought of swimming around in the ocean and having a MASSIVE creature (e.g. a blue whale) show up beneath you scares the living shit out of me, ugh.

But anyway, the best boss fight hass to be O&S (Dark Souls) or Old King (Demon's Souls). I'd say Demon's Souls has the overall better boss fights though.

As an aside, I'm thinking about getting Dark Souls. Could anyone tell me what the multiplayer side of it is like on PS3? And is it way better than Demons? Thanks :)

What do you mean by way better? Online works the same way, you can summon/be summoned for one area and are sent back once you beat the boss, and you can invade other players to kill them.
The game itself is quite a bit bigger than Demon's, and it's one big, seamless world instead of the hub-level design of Demon's. If you liked Demon's Dark is a must buy IMO.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
The AoE takes a long time to charge and can be cancelled by hitting him once and the charge move is not hard to evade. But still, it's a great boss.
Mmhmm, it's a perfectly balanced fight. A boss without the intentions of trying to cheese you. Just a straight up battle to death.

What do you mean by way better? Online works the same way, you can summon/be summoned for one area and are sent back once you beat the boss, and you can invade other players to kill them.
The game itself is quite a bit bigger than Demon's, and it's one big, seamless world instead of the hub-level design of Demon's. If you liked Demon's Dark is a must buy IMO.

I was just wondering what they'd improved upon from Demons gameplay wise etc..
The only issue I had with Demons multiplayer was how awkward it was to play with friends, and some lag issues, but that may have been a problem at my end.
I probably will buy though, at £20 it'd be worth it either way.

dyergram

There's nothing more awesome than being stuck on a boss and summoning two bad asses who murder everyone for you. Or the feeling of responsibility when you realise you have to be the bad ass for someone else. What was the name of the boss you fight on the church roof love that fight.

Hellix

Garl Vinland

USJyb.jpg

The main city hub in Demon's Souls. It has claimed many lives.

Hahaha, so much of this. The amount of times I ran off the higher landing when I wasn't paying attention is unreal. A lot of them happened as I was retrieving my corpse from the previous foolish death too.

KorrZ

I think for me personally it has to be Tower Knight. It's near the beginning of the game, and you're still trying to adapt to the game and just how much it kicks your ass. Finally making it past the dragon bridge, all the archers, black knights thinking you've finally made it after a million deaths and then boom.

1800739-tumblr_l24g9jz59u1qbzf0vo1_500.jpg

This motherfucker comes out at you. He's just such an immediately intimidating boss, in a game as unforgiving as Demon's Souls my first thought was there is no way I'm ever going to kill this guy. He's too big, how do you even begin to approach him? Thinking about this boss just makes me nostalgic for my first day playing Demon's Souls.

patsu

There's nothing more awesome than being stuck on a boss and summoning two bad asses who murder everyone for you. Or the feeling of responsibility when you realise you have to be the bad ass for someone else. What was the name of the boss you fight on the church roof love that fight.

The Gargoyles.

I was stuck in Anor Londo in NG+ for 2 nights. Reached the inner bonfire (The one in a room). From there, got invaded countless times and died before I could reach O&S. And the few times I made it to O&S, I didn't have enough spells to take down both of them. Most of the time, I died soon after entering the fog door. For some reason, I couldn't find any summon at all. So I spent 6 hours straight running, swinging and dying repeatedly. 8^(

Eventually, I decided to disconnect from the net. And practice, practice, and practice until I could beat the giant Smorgh with just melee.

When O&S fell, I was so bitter/mad that I immediately dropped my blue stone in Anor Londo to assist other players. I did it for a full week until I didn't get summoned anymore. Then I moved on to finish the game. ^_^

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
If it's easier for ranged builds then it's not a perfectly balanced fight.
It's just as "easy" for ranged as it is for melee. Just like 90% of all other bosses in DS.

cj_iwakura

Demon's Souls: The False King.
No words, just epic throwdown.

Dark Souls: Yep, S&O. It's epic no matter how it goes, all the more so if you do it 2v2.

Venfayth

I cannot remember her name, but the invisible woman who walks around at you was a cool as fuck boss fight. The backstory made me really sad to kill her, but it was a fun fight too.

9X9nM.png

I still feel sad for killing this beautiful woman

Absolutely no contest. Astraea and Vinland. Not only is it surprising that they're still human, but the arena, the music, the doubt about what you're even doing at this point. And she is supposedly the most impure of all the Demon's Souls.

Demons Souls - Penetrator
Dark Souls - S&O, Gwyn (best boss battle music ever)

Those are some manly boss fights. Just straight up sword dueling. No bullshit.

And as far as NPCs/regular enemies goes, Dark Souls is unparalleled.

6209453088_a099fc305c.jpg

d634a14176e6b94e1afb953ece757cf3.jpg

Img0031.jpg

Look at these badasses. Just look at them.

Actually Havel is the first guy in the game who truly scared the shit out of me. I'm just walking down the spiral stairs not knowing what the hell is at the bottom and reading messages telling me that whatever it is, it's going to demolish me. I get to the bottom level and just barely make out some giant knight looking guy with some ridiculous looking weapon full on sprinting towards me. That's when I say "nope" and turn the fuck around. I mustered up some courage later and tried to engage him. He kills me in one hit. Even while I'm blocking with my shield. This dude still scares me to this day.

Nito really deserved better for his crazy, genius design.

I agree with Smough and Ornstein being the flat out best though. I found myself helping people with that fight just to have a reason to repeat it.

Yo Gotti

Banned
So we've seen talk about both, but of the two, who do you guys think was the better last boss?

The False King Allant
Or
The "God" of the Sun, Gwyn

I've gotta go with Gwyn, from the way he was built up throughout the game to damn being near mythical status, to the point that you finally meet the tragically broken reality. He's not a giant, and he doesn't use any insane powers to beat you, just kickass skills with his sword. Still as a shell of his former self, he was still a goddamn monster and bitch to defeat without cheesing. That fight is so much more memorable to me than the Allant fight.

Allant was tough, but I don't think I've died to him more than twice. His patterns are much easier, and he doesn't hit nearly as hard. You can afford to make a few mistakes fighting Allant, while Gwyn can be instant death on your first mistake.

cj_iwakura

So we've seen talk about both, but of the two, who do you guys think was the better last boss?

The False King Allant
Or
The "God" of the Sun, Gwyn

I've gotta go with Gwyn, from the way he was built up throughout the game to damn being near mythical status, to the point that you finally meet the tragically broken reality. He's not a giant, and he doesn't use any insane powers to beat you, just kickass skills with his sword. Still as a shell of his former self, he was still a goddamn monster and bitch to defeat without cheesing. That fight is so much more memorable to me than the Allant fight.

Allant was tough, but I don't think I've died to him more than twice. His patterns are much easier, and he doesn't hit nearly as hard. You can afford to make a few mistakes fighting Allant, while Gwyn can be instant death on your first mistake.

Me and a friend did a Level 1 run, and took on Allant 2v1. One of us had to distract him while the other got the occasional hit in.

Intense doesn't begin to describe it.

And we melee'd him.

dosh

Old Monk, purely for the absolute mindfuck he delivers.

But both Souls games are full of "the most _____ boss". Most epic: S&O; most memorable and symbolic of the whole game: The Tower Knight; most unfair: Maneater; most "and how the fuck am I supposed to kill THAT?": first encounter with Vanguard; most "looks a lot like that other boss, but is fantastic in its own right": Iron Golem; cutest: Sif; etc.

From has created one of the most glorious bosses collection this generation.

Kard8p3

Dark Souls: Smough & Ornstein

When I fought these douchebags I didn't have access to XBL, so I had to solo them. Took like 4 hours..

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I swear I must be the only dude who beat maneaters the first time in a single attempt. Then again holy builds are stupid.

What I always do in the soul games is run around the area of the boss fight first and find a good spot to fight. If you fought man eaters where you first come in at I could see them being hard. But there was that circle platform that literally blocked off one of their attacks and let you focus on one at a time. I can't think of a single hard fight in Demons Souls outside of fighting flamelurker with melee and not abusing the pillars

My favorite fight hands down is

Smough & Ornstein

Soma

The False King Allant
Or
The "God" of the Sun, Gwyn.

I was pretty disappointed with Gwyn in terms of presentation and challenge.

With Allant you had this crazy build-up before going up to meet him. The fact that the 'final' boss fight takes place in Boletaria Palace, the very first world where you truly begin the game, had a pretty big impact as well. The fight itself is literally one of the most intense moments I've had in gaming. It's one of those moments where the gameplay system really shines. I died many times before defeating him but it was never a thing where you had to level up in order to beat him, you had to get used to his tactics and make the necessary adjustments to overcome him. He had a wide range of attacks and he literally keeps you on your toes through the entire fight. Definitely one of the most memorable fights I've ever encountered in a video game.

Gwyn, on the other hand, wasn't as great in my opinion. For one thing, his name is mentioned repeatedly but for a final boss, he doesn't even get his own cutscene. It might seem kinda petty but for the last boss fight in a game like this, I feel like they should really go all out for this. I dunno, maybe that's just me. The fight also takes place in a relatively random place instead of somewhere that's been established through out the game. The area looks pretty cool though. I wasn't a huge fan of the fight itself since it pretty much just came down to learning how to block+parry his attacks in order to win. At least that's how it was for me. It didn't feel as satisfying.

I honestly enjoyed Dark Souls more than Demon's Souls (just barely) but I was just pretty disappointed with the final boss.

KSai

Fool's Idol is my favorite boss from Demon's Souls. The chapel and the whole Tower of Latria had such a nice atmosphere. As for Dark Souls, I build characters solely for fighting the Four Kings. That's such an awesome fight. It saddens me to be able to kill them so fast.

I think the black phantom enemies from Demon's Souls were pretty awesome. That swamp woman with the Meat Cleaver, she was so devastating I had to copy her.

9X9nM.png

I still feel sad for killing this beautiful woman

Yes! The mood is so greatly different from the rest of the game and it does it in such a way that's just fucking awesome. The things she tells you as you slowly make your way towards her voice are very curious and suspect. And the loyal 'fallen' knight, Garl Vinland... my God. You know how people wish they could abolish all memory of a single game to experience it again? Well, I wouldn't do that with Demon's Souls because the game is a course through hell. HOWEVER, I'd love to re-experience this fight for the first time.

That theme: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-rNVnrFQDg

llaannccee

I think for me personally it has to be Tower Knight. It's near the beginning of the game, and you're still trying to adapt to the game and just how much it kicks your ass. Finally making it past the dragon bridge, all the archers, black knights thinking you've finally made it after a million deaths and then boom.

1800739-tumblr_l24g9jz59u1qbzf0vo1_500.jpg

This motherfucker comes out at you. He's just such an immediately intimidating boss, in a game as unforgiving as Demon's Souls my first thought was there is no way I'm ever going to kill this guy. He's too big, how do you even begin to approach him? Thinking about this boss just makes me nostalgic for my first day playing Demon's Souls.

Don't forget the daunting music.

sixghost

Nito really deserved better for his crazy, genius design.

I agree with Smough and Ornstein being the flat out best though. I found myself helping people with that fight just to have a reason to repeat it.
The end of Anor Londo and S&O is the absolute peak of Dark Souls. It's too bad the last third of the game couldn't reach the same heights.

That boss fight might be the most memorable thing I've ever done in a game. It took me so many tries to even beat the first phase of that fight.

Oh, yeah, Penetrator definitely deserves a mention. I 1on1'd it, but I heard you can have NPC companions during the fight so your mileage may vary. One of the best bosses and very underrated for me.

cj_iwakura

Yeesh, Tower Knight.

I remember thinking it had to be a cutscene with all the archers and then HIM showing up.

By the time I picked my jaw up off the floor, I was dead.

LaB_NL

The first time I met King Allant was kind of awesome. I didn't expect that kind of a boss and the path leading to him is beatiful imho.

Top Bottom