• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania LOS: Mirror of Fate screens

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...of-fate-screens-show-off-magic-and-menus.aspx
8eG4j.jpg

no7MX.jpg

kZRZo.jpg

RtJ1N.jpg

dtgdo.jpg

Ocbyv.jpg

WJKAG.jpg

9ZOQ4.jpg

8X7ft.jpg

SCpzf.jpg

awMbQ.jpg

QMW4N.jpg

Blablurn

all i can see is game informer

... but seriously. pictures are not that impressive. but im sure it looks great in motion.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
do we know yet if this game is going to be metroid-like ? that's all i really want to know :(

They've already said that it's not.

The screens are not flattering in the slight bit, but I'm very excited for the game. I love how they're trying to get Trevor and Simon into the game to create this condensed reimagining of the last 20 years of CV.

I'm sure some people won't like that, but I do like that they're trying to check all the boxes, story-wise, that people associate with Castlevania.

Beth Cyra

Mirror honestly looks like crap to me in still shots.

I don't really want to, but I will buy the game to support Alucard but unless it looks way better in motion it's not the least bit impressive to me.

Mirror honestly looks like crap to me in still shots.

I don't really want to, but I will buy the game to support Alucard but unless it looks way better in motion it's not the least bit impressive to me.

It does look way better in motion also because the 3DS screens even on the XL aren't that big.
They've already said that it's not.

Pretty sure they've confirmed there are metroidvania aspects

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Guys, when menus too are a bit pixelated, you know there's something wrong in the size of the images themselves.

x3sphere

all i can see is game informer

... but seriously. pictures are not that impressive. but im sure it looks great in motion.

Compared to these screens? Sure. It's not a good looking game though. The build at E3 anyway had noticeable jaggies with or without 3D on and frame rate was terrible.

Unless it was a really old build, I wouldn't expect much improvement in the final release.

sphinx

the piano man
was it ever clear whether we are going to play as alucard at some point or not??

at first I thought this was going to be alucard's entry in the LOS saga/timeline but the main guy seems like a regular gabriel.

what gives?

FoneBone

was it ever clear whether we are going to play as alucard at some point or not??

at first I thought this was going to be alucard's entry in the LOS saga/timeline but the main guy seems like a regular gabriel.

what gives?

There are 4 playable characters, Alucard is one of them.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Compared to these screens? Sure. It's not a good looking game though. The build at E3 anyway had noticeable jaggies with or without 3D on and frame rate was terrible.

Unless it was a really old build, I wouldn't expect much improvement in the final release.

This does not give me hope for the technical quality in Lords of Shadow 2.

I am starting to wonder if David Cox understands what playable frame rate means.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Actually, they've said that it is.

I was under the impression that they said "there is back tracking and incentive to back to old areas, but no, it's not a metroidvania".

Backtracking doesn't make it a metroidvania. By that logic, LoS is a metroidvania.

Beth Cyra

what gives?

There was a trailer that showed Alucard's image and him talking to his Father. Then it was said that he and Gabriel were the 3rd and 4th playable characters.

Despite seeing him (Alucard) in the Trailer for LoS2 though, we are playing Gabriel.

FoneBone

I was under the impression that they said "there is back tracking and incentive to back to old areas, but no, it's not a metroidvania".

Backtracking doesn't make it a metroidvania. By that logic, LoS is a metroidvania.
He asked if it was "metroid-like". You said no, Mercury Steam says otherwise.

Game Guru

The screens are not flattering in the slight bit, but I'm very excited for the game. I love how they're trying to get Trevor and Simon into the game to create this condensed reimagining of the last 20 years of CV.

Not really, this game is so far just treading the ground of the NES games (and technically Super Castlevania IV and Castlevania Chronicles by virtue of them being remakes of Castlevania 1).

Though I suppose with the appearance of Alucard in Lords of Shadow 2, that game will be the Coxvania version of Rondo of Blood & Symphony of the Night, thus touching upon the most essential games from the old continuity.

thetrin

Not really, this game is so far just treading the ground of the NES games (and technically Super Castlevania IV and Castlevania Chronicles by virtue of them being remakes of Castlevania 1).

Though I suppose with the appearance of Alucard in Lords of Shadow 2, that game will be the Coxvania version of Rondo of Blood & Symphony of the Night, thus touching upon the most essential games from the old continuity.

Alucard is in MoF. Richter and Maria are not in, sure, but to me, the three most prominent protagonists in the mythos are in.

FoneBone said:
He asked if it was "metroid-like". You said no, Mercury Steam says otherwise.

This is what Cox said:

We didn’t want to do a Metroidvania because one of the things about the Metroidvania series is the games start out bloody hard because you haven’t gotten anything. By the end of the game, you have everything and are super powerful. We really want to have a game that starts out really easy and gets tougher, tougher, and tougher. Exploration has been beefed up for sure, but we don’t want to have a game where you run around collecting loads of things. We want to tell a story. We want players to enjoy the adventure.

Doesn't get more clear than that.

This game looks really bad to me. I hope this doesn't mean the end of the Castlevanias we saw on DS and GBA. From what I hear and have seen the gameplay seems really bland along with the art style and level design.

Dascu

If anyone from Mercury Steam is reading this: Please please please add in some kind of difficulty setting or slider, that allows the player to adjust enemy life and attack strength.

I would rather find enemies that can kill you in just a few hits, but also die in a few hits themselves, than have to do a bunch of combos against even the most common of foes. It's like two lines of code, please add this.

FoneBone

I don't fucking know what to believe, then, because they said the exact opposite before.

That quote doesn't really contradict what you quoted at all. It admittedly does get a little confusing, but it can have Metroid-like elements and still not play like the Igavanias.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I don't fucking know what to believe, then, because they said the exact opposite before.

Cox is explaining it poorly at times but I get the impression that:

1. It's an interconnected world map.

2. However, it doesn't strive for the same 'grindy' character progression of Symphony of the Night, where you start out weak and in danger, and can end up overpowered. There's not a lot of loot and gear to collect.

So it's metroidvania in terms of world layout but not like the SotN-derived games in terms of character building and the philosophy behind the difficulty curve.

Takuan

Would've preferred a classic Metroidvania with this engine. Some of the camera angles going on in the images are confusing from a gameplay perspective (particularly the one where he's semi-facing the player, about to attack a skeleton). Still, despite the blown-up screens, it looks pretty good. Better than MH4, imo.

Yeah that's pretty rough looking.

Still the game that I will pick up 1st when I get a 3DS.

Same here.

Would've preferred a classic Metroidvania with this engine. Some of the camera angles going on in the images are confusing from a gameplay perspective (particularly the one where he's semi-facing the player, about to attack a skeleton). Still, despite the blown-up screens, it looks pretty good. Better than MH4, imo.

It's not a Metroidvania?

Top Bottom