• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

5th Cell CEO (GAF's own Jackson): Wii U is "definitely more powerful than PS3 & 360"

dc89

Jeremiah Slaczka, the CEO of Scribblenauts developer 5th Cell, has stated that the Wii U is "definitely more powerful than Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3," adding that he finds the argument over the console's capabilities "frustrating".

Speaking in the latest issue of Game Informer, Slaczka said that the Wii U is "definitely more powerful than Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. It's kind of frustrating to see the rumours and speculation of people going back and forth saying it's weaker or more powerful. It's definitely more powerful."

More at the source: http://www.videogamer.com/wiiu/scri...erful_than_360_and_ps3_scribblenauts_dev.html

Who are we to believe?!

Durante

Well yeah, I don't think there ever were any reasonable people doubting that it's more powerful than those 7 year old systems overall.

The recent doubts are about the CPU only, which this doesn't address.

beje

Banned
I'd rather believe devs that will actually develop on it than those that will not.

The CPU stuff is because Wii U is using an Out-Of-Order CPU, which is pretty powerful on itself but might seem weak when directly porting stuff from other consoles, which is what most western devs are currently doing.

JordanN

Banned
A real game developer vs anonymous janitors whose only contact with Wii U was by sweeping the floor beneath it?

I think the answer is clear.

Also, in before massive amounts of ignorance.

The M.O.B

Well yeah, I don't think there ever were any reasonable people doubting that it's more powerful than those 7 year old systems overall.

We get this same response in every thread.......

beje

Banned
But then they have an financial incentive to sell the thing. So they're actually less trustworthy than those who don't develop on it.

You have to take into account that those that won't develop for Nintendo, have a very well known history of dissing their platforms because they damage their bussiness model of bigger-prettier-faster over any other thing so they're not afraid of spreading FUD every way they can.

ZeroGravity

But then they have an financial incentive to sell the thing. So they're actually less trustworthy than those who don't develop on it.
Scribblenauts isn't exactly the kind of game that depends on this statement being true or not, nor does it really appeal to the kind of audience that would care.

Durante

We get this same response in every thread.......
Truly? Good to see that people are discussing the issue in a reasonable and objective manner then.

You have to take into account that those that won't develop for Nintendo, have a very well known history of dissing their platforms because they damage their bussiness model of bigger-prettier-faster over any other thing so they're not afraid of spreading FUD every way they can.
When you decide to go ad hominem you also have to take into account that so far 5th Cell has almost exclusively released mobile games and games on Nintendo platforms.

ElyrionX

It's sad that people can even have legit arguments about whether a new console is more powerful than the current 7-year old ones. Looks like I will remain Nintendo-less for another gen.

Yagharek

It's sad that people can even have legit arguments about whether a new console is more powerful than the current 7-year old ones. Looks like I will remain Nintendo-less for another gen.

Why wouldn't you wait and see what games it has before deciding?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Of course its more powerful.
Some people expect WiiU to be sold for less than 250 $ but have no problem shelling out 400$ for a Kinect or Halo 4 360 bundle.

SmokyDave

Did anyone actually argue that the unit overall was less powerful than the PS3 / 360?

I saw much mention of the CPU, but not the console as a whole.

Durante

The CPU stuff is because Wii U is using an Out-Of-Order CPU, which is pretty powerful on itself but might seem weak when directly porting stuff from other consoles, which is what most western devs are currently doing.
Do you (or most people throwing terminology around) actually understand what it means for a CPU to support out of order execution? If anything, it should be easier to port to (and extract reasonable performance out of) an OOE platform.

SmokyDave

Pretty much every Wii U thread has had many such people making those claims.

I doubt it. Certainly nobody would argue that more RAM is a bad thing and I can't see anyone arguing that the GFX hardware in the Wii-U is weaker. It's only the CPU that has been consistently described as 'weaker'.

The question / argument isn't whether the Wii-U is more powerful, it's how much more powerful.

DrWong

I doubt it. Certainly nobody would argue that more RAM is a bad thing and I can't see anyone arguing that the GFX hardware in the Wii-U is weaker. It's only the CPU that has been consistently described as 'weaker'.

The question / argument isn't whether the Wii-U is more powerful, it's how much more powerful.
Who said the CPwiiU was weaker?

I'd rather believe devs that will actually develop on it than those that will not.

How do you know any of this?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I don't see why the shades of grey in this discussion even matter, especially when the competition will be on a completely different level. If it's close enough to the 360/PS3 for this discussion to be entertained, for all practical purposes this conversation seems totally pointless. Games aren't going to look leaps and bounds better, but there will be some improvements here and there, whereas the next Xbox and Playstation will exist in a whole other world. I don't see why this is so controversial.

I would argue and it has been argued in previous threads that claim you referenced is rarely made around here.
I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that Jackson wasn't talking exclusively about GAF in this instance. There's a lot of ignorant fanboys on the web but what else is new.

Edit: probably should've quoted SmokyDave instead but I'm too lazy to change this on my mobile

Sid

With so much skepticism as to how powerful the system really is why doesn't nintendo just detail the specs?sure they'll most likely look poor when compared to ps4/nextbox but the gap won't be nearly as big as the wii-ps3 was......

orioto

Good Art™
At this point,and with what we hear, the real concern is not how powerfull it is regarding the actual consoles (i was always certain that it would be a Nintendo usual case of more with less, always).

The thing we know, that can be a concern, is that making beautiful, or impressive things on the hardware will need dedicated and specific effort. Everything right now tends to show that.

That means... Gamecube.
The dream of seeing PS4/XBX8 ports is pretty dead, if there isn't real quick some good tools to facilitate it, and real good ports of next gen engines.

This is pretty simple. Most editors of a certain genre aren't that crazy about porting their game on a Nintendo console already. If it gives them problems, it's pretty dead.

Top Bottom