• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

5th Cell CEO (GAF's own Jackson): Wii U is "definitely more powerful than PS3 & 360"

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Because people are looking for new experiences. Last gen experiences have already been experienced.

Right, because better shaders and other shit will make that next gen Uncharted clone a new experience.

I love how the console with a totally unique controller is the one that can't provide new experiences.

Dan Yo

Banned
Next gen. console more powerful then last gen. consoles? GASP!
Did we already forget about the Wii? Doesn't seem like a big stretch when some are suggesting the Wii U will be more on par with 360/PS3 than it will be with other next gen consoles. In fact, judging by what Nintendo has shown so far, and comments by various developers, it seems pretty solid that this is the case.

Ryoku

PS3/360 gen experiences have already been experienced with GC/PS2/Xbox.

But Kinect and Move! No, really. PS360 experiences have been experienced since PS1/N64 days. Just better graphics and different games. EDIT: Which isn't inherently bad, either. Just pointing it out.

At this point,and with what we hear, the real concern is not how powerfull it is regarding the actual consoles (i was always certain that it would be a Nintendo usual case of more with less, always).

The thing we know, that can be a concern, is that making beautiful, or impressive things on the hardware will need dedicated and specific effort. Everything right now tends to show that.

That means... Gamecube.
The dream of seeing PS4/XBX8 ports is pretty dead, if there isn't real quick some good tools to facilitate it, and real good ports of next gen engines.

This is pretty simple. Most editors of a certain genre aren't that crazy about porting their game on a Nintendo console already. If it gives them problems, it's pretty dead.

Everything points to Wii U being technologically capable of receiving down-ports of aw power reasons.

Sid

PS3/360 gen experiences have already been experienced with GC/PS2/Xbox.
what ps2/xbox were you playing?it never had games like assassin's creed,demon's souls,dark souls or the online infrastructure we have now used in games like battlefield,cod etc.

Ryoku

what ps2/xbox were you playing?it never had games like assassin's creed,demon's souls,dark souls or the online infrastructure we have now used in games like battlefield,cod etc.

I think he meant, aside from Kinect/Move, the general experience of the game. In Nintendo's words, how you play the game. It isn't necessarily a bad thing, though.

My last post in this thread since the crazies are coming but, if it was so gasp why do threads like these have more than 20 pages?
http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=468841
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=469109

When good news come, people shun it with all their might. With bad news, they turn a blind eye. =/

Anonymous sources, nonetheless!

goomba

Banned
Just randomly noticed that on Nintendo.com, the Wii U tab goes to a "not found" page error...

Wii U cancelled or new pages being put up?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I think that the recent sentences (like the confirmation of UE4 and this clear statement) should make a lot of people happy. Like if, you know, the web would be a normal place.

Sid

I think he meant, aside from Kinect/Move, the general experience of the game. In Nintendo's words, how you play the game. It isn't necessarily a bad thing, though.

Huh?so according to that logic we've been playing the same games since the atari 2600 as that used a controller without a screen too.....

Ryoku

Huh?so according to that logic we've been playing the same games since the atari 2600 as that used a controller without a screen too.....

No. He specifically stated back until the PS2/GC/Xbox generation, to which I suggested that it was more like back until PS1/N64 era. Controls haven't changed much since PS1 (hello, PS3 controller). Controls have definitely changed since Atari 2600, so I don't know why you brought that up. That said, I suggest we move off of this topic, as it is itself off-topic.

Dan Yo

Banned
Right, because better shaders and other shit will make that next gen Uncharted clone a new experience.

I love how the console with a totally unique controller is the one that can't provide new experiences.
No, but better physics, AI, more objects and NPCs on screen at once, larger environments with larger draw distances, large-scale multiplayer games with huge player counts, etc. are things that offer bigger and better experiences.

I couldn't experience something like Red Dead Redemption or Skyrim on a Wii. Instead, I played a lot of games that looked and felt like PS2/gamecube games with different controls.

Some of us want the next big thing. What will be the Skyrim-level jump on next gen platforms? We'll see, but we won't see that on platforms where the hardware is still playing fiddle with the older platforms.

daakusedo

We kind of begin to know it.
What is crazy is how you've got every time a diferent person in this type of thread telling you nothing happened. Rationality was nowhere to be seen.

TUROK

Do you (or most people throwing terminology around) actually understand what it means for a CPU to support out of order execution? If anything, it should be easier to port to (and extract reasonable performance out of) an OOE platform.
This. The person you quoted definitely did not know what he/she was talking about. In-order execution is antiquated in the realm of laptops and desktops nowadays.

Margalis

Banned
do you (or most people throwing terminology around) actually understand what it means for a CPU to support out of order execution? If anything, it should be easier to port to (and extract reasonable performance out of) an OOE platform.

I think the implication here is that these game being ported are highly optimized for in-order execution and thus don't benefit much from out of order execution.

At least in theory that could be the case. If you wrote something that required completely serial execution it would not benefit at all from an OOE architecture, and all the efficiency that provides would be wasted.

Now in practice I have no idea if that is what's happening, but I could see it being the case for at least some inner loops / low-level library stuff.

jerd

Thank you.

So the answer is none, then.

Edit: One pending XBLA title. Cool.

They have one XBLA game in development.

That is it.

Well fortunately Microsoft and Sony have made their specs public... so there's that.

Because people are looking for new experiences. Last gen experiences have already been experienced.

:p

No, but better physics, AI, more objects and NPCs on screen at once, larger environments with larger draw distances, large-scale multiplayer games with huge player counts, etc. are things that offer bigger and better experiences.

I couldn't experience something like Red Dead Redemption or Skyrim on a Wii. Instead, I played a lot of games that looked and felt like PS2/gamecube games with different controls.

Some of us want the next big thing. What will be the Skyrim-level jump on next gen platforms? We'll see, but we won't see that on platforms where the hardware is still playing fiddle with the older platforms.

The issue I believe everyone is having trouble wrapping their head around is the fact that Nintendo is selling experiences. Graphically, they are not going to blow anything PS360 out of the water, but it will be better. More importantly, it will offer experiences not possible on those consoles. Because the controller is part of the hardware, I don't see them playing any fiddles with anyone (great expression by the way). They're not going to get into a "Let's see who can lose more money per console sold" war with the other companies because they know a) they can still make first-party games that can compete graphically/artistically with more powerful hardware and b) people will buy their consoles regardless.

Ryoku

It's not entirely because it's out of order (though I'll admit that I don't know how much of a difference that would make). Although we're sure that an out-of-order execution CPU is in there, the portability issue is more likely due to lower clock speed, and the lack of optimized code (where devs probably haven't utilized the audio dsp and I/O processor, which should free up a significant amount of the CPU) and the persistent hints about heavy focus on gpgpu functions, to which the code is most likely not tweaked for (which would also decrease CPU load by a lot).

Jackpot

Banned
It's very bad that whether N's next-gen console is more powerful than its 7 year old competitors is even a question.

Durante

I think the implication here is that these game being ported are highly optimized for in-order execution and thus don't benefit much from out of order execution.

At least in theory that could be the case. If you wrote something that required completely serial execution it would not benefit at all from an OOE architecture, and all the efficiency that provides would be wasted.

Now in practice I have no idea if that is what's happening, but I could see it being the case for at least some inner loops / low-level library stuff.
It's possible I guess, but in my experience, when you optimize code to run faster on an in-order platform it also gets faster on an OOE one, just not nearly to the same extent. OOE architectures are much more "resilient" towards bad code. If you have bad instruction scheduling or superflous branching on a modern OOE CPU it may make your code slower by 20% or so, while on an in-order chip it could be 10x slower.

Although we're sure that an out-of-order execution CPU is in there, the portability issue is more likely due to lower clock speed, and the lack of optimized code (where devs probably haven't utilized the audio dsp and I/O processor, which should free up a significant amount of the CPU) and the persistent hints about heavy focus on gpgpu functions, to which the code is most likely not tweaked for (which would also decrease CPU load by a lot).
I wouldn't refer to using GPGPU as "tweaking". More like "entirely rewriting". At least until something like OpenACC actually works for real-world code.

Ryoku

I wouldn't refer to using GPGPU as "tweaking". More like "entirely rewriting". At least until something like OpenACC actually works for real-world code.
Lol, I actually had it as "rewritten" before I changed my mind for some reason :/

jerd

The're only developing an iPad Port for the Wii U, so imo his opinion isn't that valuable....

Yeah only he doesn't really word it as an opinion... and it is kind of a black and white thing. Either it is more powerful, or it isn't, and he uses the word definitely. I'm sure it will have a more modern feature set so raw power should be all that is left.

Margalis

Banned
I'd be surprised if any next-gen console regularly output at 1080, given that a lot of displays are still 720. Really not worth it when only half of customers will see any difference at all vs something like higher FPS which is apparent to everyone. Even if the console has the RAM and such to support it I'd see game makers doing more of being able to render at 1080 with some stuff downgraded rather than targeting 1080 as a baseline.

I'd be surprised if any next-gen console regularly output at 1080, given that a lot of displays are still 720. Really not worth it when only half of customers will see any difference at all vs something like higher FPS which is apparent to everyone. Even if the console has the RAM and such to support it I'd see game makers doing more of being able to render at 1080 with some stuff downgraded rather than targeting 1080 as a baseline.

Well I think you will be surprised then.

JoeInky

If you ask developers whether they'd rather increase the framerate and resolution, or keep it at 720p and 30fps so you can use the saved resources to make your screenshots look prettier I'm sure most would go for the latter option.

There'll be a few obviously, but I really don't expect it to be standard.

The majority of the market doesn't give a shit about 1080p or 60fps.

Ryoku

Considering trends this gen, devs next gen will most likely opt for better effects, eyecandy, and IQ over resolution and 60 FPS. Especially when the vast majority of the audience doesn't notice 720p vs 1080p on their televisions. Many don't even know what frame rate means.

MS, Sony and third parties took a far larger risk when they decided to move towards HD game development. The start of this generation had tons of people who had not even made the switch to an LCD yet.

I think 720p will probably rule the roost for another generation though.

ugoo18

So now that's Crytek, Valve, Gearbox and 5th Cell that have all said the same thing. Yet will be ignored once any dev has the slightest issue with any aspect of porting their game to the WiiU.

Top Bottom