• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Namco Bandai Q1 profits up 200 per cent [SC5 - 1.38 mil, Naruto Ultimate NSG - 1 mil]

Pranay

Japanese publisher resurgent as Soul Calibur V hits lifetime sales of 1.38 million

Namco Bandai
www.bandainamco.co.jp/en/
Namco Bandai's return to profitability continued apace with a 200 per cent year-on-year increase in the first quarter.

For the quarter ending June 30 2012, the company posted revenues of ¥108.7 billion ($1.39b/£894m), up 23.2 per cent from ¥88.2 billion last year - ¥91.5 billion of that revenue came from the Japanese market. Net profits were ¥10.2 billion ($130m/£83m), an increase of 214.8 per cent from ¥3.2 billion in the same quarter last year.

Namco Bandai's Content division, which contains its video games business, was its most profitable during the quarter, posting a 60 per cent year-on-year increase in revenue to ¥56.9 billion. The division's operating income was ¥12.4 billion, a huge increase over the prior year quarter's ¥519 million.

In total, the company sold just over 4 million home video games during the quarter: 2.66 million on console and 1.36 million on portable devices.

The top-selling game was Soul Calibur V, which sold 680,000 units to take its lifetime total to 1.38 million. Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm Generations also passed the 1 million milestone after adding 440,000 sales.

www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-08-03-namco-bandai-q1-profits-up-200-per-cent

Videoneon

I'd seen mention of Soul Calibur passing 1million mark elsewhere, but I had no idea things were going so well for them on the whole.

It's good to be Namco Bandai.

What's interesting is that this means that either their Japanese sales figures for Soulcalibur V are massively under-reported, or the unbelievable majority of copies of that game are sold overseas at this point. The last reported figure for SC5 in Japan was in the neighborhood of 150k.

Anyway, nice to see SC5 doing good. Now hopefully they'll address the issues it had (mostly with the story mode) in either an ultimate edition of SC5 or in 6!

Doomshine

It seemed like they had to fight to make SCV so I hope this means we get to see more Soul Calibur, whether it's an update to 5 or a sequel.

Currently my favorite publisher. EuroGAF here. :)

First the Demon's Souls Black Phantom Edition, then Dark Souls, The Witcher 2, Tales of Graces f/Xillia, Ni No Kuni, ...
As an avid RPG gamer, I'm more than happy with their work. Keep it up! \o/

Orayn

Glad to see SCV do well as it would have been so easy for it to fall by the wayside.

That said, funnel some of this into From Software's budget for the next Souls game. I want to see Miyazaki carried to the office on a palanquin hefted by a dozen profesisonal mocap actors!

I'm surprised to hear SCV actually sold well considering how Namco just recently killed off all future CAS DLC despite having a bunch of stuff created and just awaiting release.

What's interesting is that this means that either their Japanese sales figures for Soulcalibur V are massively under-reported, or the unbelievable majority of copies of that game are sold overseas at this point. The last reported figure for SC5 in Japan was in the neighborhood of 150k.

Anyway, nice to see SC5 doing good. Now hopefully they'll address the issues it had (mostly with the story mode) in either an ultimate edition of SC5 or in 6!

I'm doubtful as well concerning Soul Calibur V numbers. It sold between 220k and 330k in the first month in the US (closer to 220k I think) and it did not perform nicely in PAL charts. Well, good for Namco.

It's not some unusual. The Soul series has become more popular overseas as it's domestic performance dwindled. Fighters don't sell that much in Japan compared to some RPG and adventure titles.

Bruno MB

It had sold in Japan 64,217 units (PS3 version) as of end of June.

It's very surprising that they managed to ship in this last quarter so many copies worldwide.

Alx

Good for SC5. One of the fighting games I enjoyed the most this generation, and best episode since the first one. :)
I was getting tired of most other licenses, even including Virtua Fighter, but the way they managed to change SC is promising for its future.

What's this about?
Basically someone trawled through the files in the Cepheus compatibility packs and found that Project Soul put in icons for content that was due in later packs. Because of that everyone knew what item packs were on the horizon, it was just a case of when they came out.

When Daishi announced there would be no more DLC, there was still a large amount of unreleased DLC that we'd seen the icons for. The biggest casualties were the next few SC5 equipment packs, which contained parts of the basic costumes for Viola, Siegfried, Maxi, Nightmare, Yoshimitsu, Raphael, Edge Master, Mitsurugi, Killik, Hilde and Astaroth. It's particularly annoying since the first pack sold well and all the CAS creators were eagerly awaiting those few packs.

This image shows all the DLC that didn't get released:
KDNMg.jpg

That is awesome for Naruto. Storm Generations was quite fun with playing with the part 1 versions of characters. Hopefully Shippuden Storm 3 will bring them back and more as it looks and sounds to be pretty awesome.

Too bad its so hard to convince irl friends to pick up Storm Generations though.

jvm

Gamasutra.
So I have a tangentially related question. If generally think this would make a good standalone topic, I'd be happy to start a separate thread.

Why do Japanese companies usually report video game sub-segment sales in software units instead of revenue, while US/EU companies report it in terms of revenue and not units?

For example, see the PDF from Namco-Bandai:
http://www.bandainamco.co.jp/en/ir/financial/pdf_bnh/en_20120802_2.pdf

Go down to page 3, and you can see per-platform sales reported as units, not revenue.

On the other hand, if you go to page 6 of the corresponding quarterly PDF for Activision Blizzard:
http://files.shareholder.com/downlo...eab7dec/Earnings Release Financial Tables.pdf

You'll see per-platform sales reported in terms of revenue, but not units.

Is this a cultural difference? Or something required by law in certain regions? I'm trying to understand why the disparity exists.

demidar

So I have a tangentially related question. If generally think this would make a good standalone topic, I'd be happy to start a separate thread.

Why do Japanese companies usually report video game sub-segment sales in software units instead of revenue, while US/EU companies report it in terms of revenue and not units?

For example, see the PDF from Namco-Bandai:
http://www.bandainamco.co.jp/en/ir/financial/pdf_bnh/en_20120802_2.pdf

Go down to page 3, and you can see per-platform sales reported as units, not revenue.

On the other hand, if you go to page 6 of the corresponding quarterly PDF for Activision Blizzard:
http://files.shareholder.com/downlo...eab7dec/Earnings Release Financial Tables.pdf

You'll see per-platform sales reported in terms of revenue, but not units.

Is this a cultural difference? Or something required by law in certain regions? I'm trying to understand why the disparity exists.

To hide that most of their sales were in sales? There's probably some kind of law for western companies to report revenue to keep the shareholders in-the-know which is more lax in Japan. Just a shot in the dark.

scosher

Good to see. I have bought more Namco published games over the past 8 or so months than any other publisher, including Dark Souls, SCV, Tales of Graces F, and soon to include Tekken Tag 2.

Gradivus

My friends play those Naruto games to death ( I hate Naruto in general), pretty surprising that it has done so well.

muu

http://www.bandainamco.co.jp/files/2012201Q20E8A39CE8B6B3E8B387E69699EFBC88EnglishEFB.pdf

Looking at the operating income by region they'd be making more money if they holed up and just sold shit within Japan.

They specifically mention 'social games' on the Japanese IR report, likely much of the Japanese profits is from there (decent sales, extreme profitability). When you think about it 500K sales is a drop in the bucket for a company that size, so this trend is likely to continue.

Currently my favorite publisher. EuroGAF here. :)

First the Demon's Souls Black Phantom Edition, then Dark Souls, The Witcher 2, Tales of Graces f/Xillia, Ni No Kuni, ...
As an avid RPG gamer, I'm more than happy with their work. Keep it up! o/
Same feelings here, one of the publisher that have really outdone themselves, they are doing a great job.
Too bad, they are bias to certain parts of Europe though. The lack of One Piece Pirate Warriors CE for the UK =, but sort of understandable with the lack of the anime/presences here.

I would think that was one of the better Tales game on a PlayStation console in the US.
It's not, I believe it's actually the worst besides Radiant Mythology PSP.

From what I understand no Tales game has ever sold more in Europe than America either, so we could very easily be looking at ~100k total for the west for Graces f. It's a colossal bomba, and actually comes in as Namco Bandai's worst selling console RPG in America this gen.

Truth be told, Namco probably should've localized Graces as a Wii exclusive a year earlier, then recalibrated to get Xillia localized in Graces f's place. I think both releases would've decently outperformed what Graces f managed.

Good to see mid-sized games with mid-sized budgets do well. Especially now.

Speaking generally about the industry, expect this to become a worrying fucking theme in the future.

It's a dark temptation, a musical chairs game with far fewer seats than aspiring participants (in a generation FILLED with situations like this).

Speaking generally about the industry, expect this to become a worrying fucking theme in the future.
Hopefully the shift to digital can help mitigate the risks with western localization going forward, even if to the exclusion of retail. I think a case like One Piece PW PSN is preferable to no release at all.

Never again will people have to wait fucking forever for a new SoulCal.

LOL jk it's namco they'll do whatever the fuck they want

It's kinda funny that people always talk about death of Japanese gaming when Japanese publishers are pretty much only ones that constantly make money in the industry.

It's not, I believe it's actually the worst besides Radiant Mythology PSP.

From what I understand no Tales game has ever sold more in Europe than America either, so we could very easily be looking at ~100k total for the west for Graces f. It's a colossal bomba, and actually comes in as Namco Bandai's worst selling console RPG in America this gen.

Truth be told, Namco probably should've localized Graces as a Wii exclusive a year earlier, then recalibrated to get Xillia localized in Graces f's place. I think both releases would've decently outperformed what Graces f managed.

Yet in their statement of bringing Tales of Xillia west, they cited positive Graces F sales as the reason they were bringing over Xillia

NamcoBandai said:
SAN JOSE, Calif., (July 6, 2012) – Leading video game publisher and developer NAMCO BANDAI Games America Inc. today announced that it will be bringing the Tales of Xillia™ brand to North America exclusively for the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system. The latest in the acclaimed Tales of Japanese role-playing game franchise, Tales of Xillia lets players enter the world of Rieze Maxia in a tale of unwavering convictions. Tales of Xillia will be available throughout North America in 2013.

“The recent success for this year’s releases of Tales of the Abyss® and Tales of Graces™ f has helped make localizing Tales of Xillia for North America one of the easiest decisions we have ever made,” said Carlson Choi, VP of Marketing for NAMCO BANDAI Games America Inc. “The latest game in this prolific series gives gamers a brand new world and cast of characters to get lost in along with its celebrated battle system that has yet to be rivaled by other Japanese RPGs.”

Tales of Xillia follows Jude Mathis, a clever medical student attending school in the capital city, and Milla Maxwell, a mysterious woman accompanied by four unseen beings. Players will be able to choose either Milla or Jude at the outset of their adventure through the world of Rieze Maxia, where humans and spirits live together in harmony. The kingdom of Rashugal has been experimenting with a powerful device that has been draining the mana from the world. Realizing the harm it is inflicting on the world, Milla and Jude set off on a journey to destroy it and restore the mana back to the world. Over the course of the game their lives will intersect with a vast ensemble of characters that will teach them the strength of unwavering conviction.

Players will engage enemies with the critically acclaimed Linear Motion Battle System that the Tales of series is famous for. The system allows for real-time movement and attacks, giving the player a more tactile role in the midst of fights. The battle system in Tales of Xillia has been upgraded to Double Raid Linear Motion Battle System to let two characters combine their attacks to utilize devastating dual-character attack, letting fans strategize the best party setup for their style of play.

Tales of Xillia will be available in 2013 for North America on the PlayStation 3 system. Please visit http://www.facebook.com/tales and http://www.namcobandaigames.com for more information about Tales of Xillia and the Tales of franchise.

Yet in their statement of bringing Tales of Xillia west, they cited positive Graces F sales as the reason they were bringing over Xillia

Yeah, unless they're bluffing and they punched out 250,000 copies of the damn thing or something (that phase of Scamco having insane sales goals for their titles is history, right?)

inner-G

Banned
Good for them. They make fantastic games and it's good to see Japanese games succeeding.

They stick to their guns and it pays off, scamco DLC stuff aside.

CC2s Naruto games are probably the best Anime games ever, and it's good to see them making 'traditional' tales games without feeling the need to Westernize the gameplay.

Top Bottom