• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Activision Q4: WoW Sub Rev Down 10%, CoD:E=1.5M, Sky Toys=20M, $99M Profit

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Call: http://www.shareholder.com/visitors...key=5d6f01c554f5f897f0e14dda82a97f92&player=3

Update:

WoW sub revenue is down 10% due to the Diablo 3 bundle, since they're removing the lost revenue equally across all the related products.

Subs are only down 100K though.

Bloomberg said:
Activision Fourth-Quarter Profit Tops Estimates While Forecast Falls Short
By Cliff Edwards - Feb 9, 2012 3:17 PM CT

Activision Blizzard Inc. (ATVI), the largest video-game publisher, posted fourth-quarter profit that exceeded analysts’ estimates on sales of “Call of Duty.” The company’s forecast for this quarter fell short of projections.

Net income totaled $99 million, or 8 cents a share, compared with a loss of $233 million, or 20 cents, a year earlier, Santa Monica, California-based Activision said today in a statement. Revenue fell 1.4 percent to $1.41 billion.

Profit excluding some items totaled 62 cents a share, topping the 56-cent average of 19 analysts’ estimates compiled by Bloomberg. Adjusted sales, excluding changes in deferred revenue, were $2.41 billion, beating estimates of $2.2 billion.

This quarter, Activision sees profit of 3 cents a share, excluding items, below the 15-cent average of eight analysts’ estimates. Adjusted revenue will be $525 million, less than estimates of $787.6 million. The company has no major packaged good titles set for release before March, Bobby Kotick, chief executive officer, said in an interview. The first-quarter forecast also doesn’t incorporate a new Blizzard release.

Activision rose 0.9 percent to $12.66 at the close in New York and has gained 2.8 percent this year.

Through December, Activision sold 21.5 million units of its “Call of Duty” shooter franchise, the company said in an e- mail, citing data from NPD Group, Charttrack and GfK.

Activision stabilized subscriber defections from the Blizzard unit’s “World of Warcraft” online multiplayer games, after losing almost 1 million the previous quarter. The number of paying subscribers fell to 10.2 million from 10.3 million in October.

New Online Titles

The online multiplayer unit plans to release two new titles this year, Kotick said. He declined to provide the dates.

“They are hard at work at making sure they’re going to deliver things that are going to satisfy their audience,” Kotick said.

Activision hasn’t followed other traditional game companies in developing games for social platforms such as Facebook Inc.

The company is trying to boost sales with digital downloads of new game levels and an online subscription service for its core “Call of Duty” franchise. As of Jan. 31, it had 1.5 million people paying $49.99 annually for strategy guides and other content.

“You’re seeing shifts in platforms, shifts in places people are consuming interactive entertainment and stratification to very high-quality experiences,” Kotick said.

Digital revenue accounted for more than 34 percent of total sales for the year, the company said in the statement.

For all of 2012, Activision forecasts profit of 94 cents a share excluding items, on adjusted sales of $4.5 billion. Analysts project 97 cents on revenue of $4.55 billion.
Source: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-...es-while-forecast-falls-short.html?cmpid=yhoo

Original:

Results said:
For calendar year 2011, Activision Blizzard's GAAP net revenues were $4.76 billion, as compared with $4.45 billion for 2010. On a non-GAAP basis, the company's net revenues were $4.49 billion, as compared with $4.80 billion for 2010. The company delivered record calendar year GAAP and non-GAAP net revenues from digital channels,(1) accounting for a record of more than 34% of the company's total net revenues.

For calendar year 2011, Activision Blizzard's GAAP earnings per diluted share increased to $0.92, as compared with $0.33 per diluted share for 2010. On a non-GAAP basis, the company's earnings per diluted share grew 18% to a record $0.93, as compared with $0.79 per diluted share for 2010.

For the quarter ended December 31, 2011, the company delivered GAAP net revenues of $1.41 billion, as compared with $1.43 billion for the fourth quarter of 2010. On a non-GAAP basis, the company's net revenues were $2.41 billion, as compared with $2.55 billion for the fourth quarter of 2010.

For the quarter ended December 31, 2011, Activision Blizzard's GAAP earnings per diluted share were $0.08, as compared with a loss per share of $0.20 for the fourth quarter of 2010. On a non-GAAP basis, the company's earnings per diluted share were $0.62, as compared with $0.53 for the fourth quarter of 2010.

The company reports results on both a GAAP and a non-GAAP basis. Please refer to the tables at the back of this press release for a reconciliation of the company's GAAP and non-GAAP results.

Bobby Kotick, Chief Executive Officer, Activision Blizzard, said, "As we continue to strengthen our leadership position in interactive entertainment, our proven management team and talented employees delivered another extraordinary year of outperformance. With better than expected net revenues, record earnings, record operating margins, and having generated nearly $1 billion in operating cash flow, Activision Blizzard continues to set the industry success bar."

Kotick continued, "Blizzard Entertainment's World of Warcraft® maintained its leadership position as the #1 subscription-based MMORPG around the world(2) and Activision Publishing's Call of Duty®: Modern Warfare 3® was the #1-selling game.(3) Skylanders Spyro's Adventure™ was the biggest new IP launch in Activision's history and it is on track to become an important and sustainable franchise. We launched our online service, Call of Duty Elite, which is one of the fastest growing premium online services ever created."

Kotick added, "Our extraordinary employees around the world are focused on making 2012 another great year for our audience and stakeholders. Blizzard Entertainment plans to have multiple highly-anticipated titles to release, including Diablo® III, and Activision Publishing expects to release a new Call of Duty game. In addition, Activision Publishing expects to continue to grow Call of Duty Elite and launch Skylanders Giants™."

Selected Business Highlights:

-Activision Publishing was the #1 console and handheld publisher in the U.S. and Europe for the fourth quarter of 2011 and the #1 console and handheld publisher in the U.S. for the calendar year.(3)
-For the calendar year, in aggregate across all platforms in the U.S. and Europe, Activision Publishing's Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 was the #1 best-selling title in dollars, and Call of Duty: Black Ops was the #5 best-selling title in dollars.(3)
-In November 2011, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 became the first video game ever to surpass $775 million in retail sales in its first five days of release and the only entertainment property to cross the $1 billion mark in 16-days, eclipsing "Avatar's" 17-day record.(4)
-As of January 31, 2012, more than seven million gamers have registered for Call of Duty Elite, including more than 1.5 million premium annual memberships the company has sold for the online service.(2)

-Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 players logged more than 639 million hours of online gameplay through December 31, 2011.(5)
-Total unique online gamers playing Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 were more than 12% greater than the total unique online gamers who played Call of Duty: Black Ops during the first two months after each game's release.(5)
-In North America and Europe, including accessory packs and figures, Skylanders Spyro's Adventure was the #8 best-selling game in dollars for the fourth quarter of 2011 and #1 selling kids' title in dollars in the calendar year.(3) Additionally, in North America, including accessory packs and figures, Skylanders Spyro's Adventure was the #10 best-selling title in dollars.(6)

-For the calendar year, Blizzard Entertainment had two top-10 PC games in North America and Europe with StarCraft® II: Wings of Liberty® and World of Warcraft: Cataclysm®.(3)
-Activision Blizzard purchased an aggregate of 61 million shares of its common stock for approximately $692 million in 2011.

Company Outlook
In March 2012, Activision Publishing expects to release the first Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Content Collection, a compilation of content previously released to Call of Duty Elite premium members, on the Xbox 360 video game and entertainment system from Microsoft.

The company's first quarter 2012 outlook does not incorporate a new release from Blizzard Entertainment, but its calendar year 2012 outlook anticipates two releases from Blizzard Entertainment. In addition, the company's full year revenue outlook is expected to be impacted by a reduction of about $130 million in revenues from the company's lower margin distribution and affiliate title businesses and a negative year-over-year foreign exchange planning assumption of approximately $200 million.
Source: http://investor.activision.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=647732

Activision Blizzard Announces Record Fourth Quarter and Calendar Year 2011 Earnings
FINANCIAL HIGHLIGHTS
- CY 2011 EPS Grows by More than 17% Establishing New Company Record
- Company Achieves Record GAAP and Non-GAAP Operating Margins of 28% and 30%
- Company Generates Nearly $1 Billion in Operating Cash Flow
- Company Announces new $1 Billion Stock Repurchase Program
- Company Announces 9% Increase in Cash Dividend to $0.18 per Common Share
- Company Expects 2012 GAAP EPS of $0.63 and Non-GAAP EPS of $0.94
BUSINESS HIGHLIGHTS
- #1 Third-Party Interactive Entertainment Digital Publisher in U.S. and Europe in 2011
- Digital Revenues of $1.6 Billion Accounted for More than 34% of Total Revenues in 2011
- Call of Duty®: Modern Warfare® 3 was #1 Best-Selling Game for 2011
- Skylanders Spyro's Adventure™ was #1 Kids Video Game for 2011 with 20+ Million Toys Sold
- Call of Duty Elite Has 7+ Million Registered Users Including 1.5+ Million Annual Premium Members as of 1/31/12
- Blizzard Entertainment's World of Warcraft® Remains #1 Subscription-based MMORPG with Approximately 10.2 Million Subscribers as of 12/31/11

codactiveusersi9x3v.png

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
No WoW sub numbers or am I blind?

Not yet.

I'm listening to the call to see if they give them.

Edit:

I'm blind:

Activision Blizzard Announces Record Fourth Quarter and Calendar Year 2011 Earnings
FINANCIAL HIGHLIGHTS
- CY 2011 EPS Grows by More than 17% Establishing New Company Record
- Company Achieves Record GAAP and Non-GAAP Operating Margins of 28% and 30%
- Company Generates Nearly $1 Billion in Operating Cash Flow
- Company Announces new $1 Billion Stock Repurchase Program
- Company Announces 9% Increase in Cash Dividend to $0.18 per Common Share
- Company Expects 2012 GAAP EPS of $0.63 and Non-GAAP EPS of $0.94
BUSINESS HIGHLIGHTS
- #1 Third-Party Interactive Entertainment Digital Publisher in U.S. and Europe in 2011
- Digital Revenues of $1.6 Billion Accounted for More than 34% of Total Revenues in 2011
- Call of Duty®: Modern Warfare® 3 was #1 Best-Selling Game for 2011
- Skylanders Spyro's Adventure™ was #1 Kids Video Game for 2011 with 20+ Million Toys Sold
- Call of Duty Elite Has 7+ Million Registered Users Including 1.5+ Million Annual Premium Members as of 1/31/12
- Blizzard Entertainment's World of Warcraft® Remains #1 Subscription-based MMORPG with Approximately 10.2 Million Subscribers as of 12/31/11

Hixx

Diablo and Pandaria?

Yep. No way will MoP not launch this year.

WoW has lost another 100k subs in the last quarter which is much less than it lost in the previous one but with 4.3 launching and the Annual Pass, kind of surprising for me.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Yep. No way will MoP not launch this year.

WoW has lost another 100k subs in the last quarter which is much less than it lost in the previous one but with 4.3 launching and the Annual Pass, kind of surprising for me.

If it's only 100k, that isn't bad at all.

Q1 2011 - 600,000 subscribers lost
Q2 2011 - 300,000 subscribers lost
Q3 2011 - 800,000 subscribers lost

FLEABttn

Banned
Annual pass seemed to stem player loss...so are they going to give away a new game every year? Cause people did this for "free" diablo 3, not a mount or beta access for MoP.

Given that there is almost no info on Pandaria, and they still need to do Beta, most likely D3 will be out same time as SC2 - July, and Pandaria as always Q4.

Aeris130

So either Diablo 3 won't come out in 2012, or it'll be an entire year more with WoL, or I'll be stuck raiding Dragonsoul for 11 more months? Shoot me now.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
CoD numbers.

Bloomberg said:
Activision Fourth-Quarter Profit Tops Estimates While Forecast Falls Short
By Cliff Edwards - Feb 9, 2012 3:17 PM CT

Activision Blizzard Inc. (ATVI), the largest video-game publisher, posted fourth-quarter profit that exceeded analysts’ estimates on sales of “Call of Duty.” The company’s forecast for this quarter fell short of projections.

Net income totaled $99 million, or 8 cents a share, compared with a loss of $233 million, or 20 cents, a year earlier, Santa Monica, California-based Activision said today in a statement. Revenue fell 1.4 percent to $1.41 billion.

Profit excluding some items totaled 62 cents a share, topping the 56-cent average of 19 analysts’ estimates compiled by Bloomberg. Adjusted sales, excluding changes in deferred revenue, were $2.41 billion, beating estimates of $2.2 billion.

This quarter, Activision sees profit of 3 cents a share, excluding items, below the 15-cent average of eight analysts’ estimates. Adjusted revenue will be $525 million, less than estimates of $787.6 million. The company has no major packaged good titles set for release before March, Bobby Kotick, chief executive officer, said in an interview. The first-quarter forecast also doesn’t incorporate a new Blizzard release.

Activision rose 0.9 percent to $12.66 at the close in New York and has gained 2.8 percent this year.

Through December, Activision sold 21.5 million units of its “Call of Duty” shooter franchise, the company said in an e- mail, citing data from NPD Group, Charttrack and GfK.

Activision stabilized subscriber defections from the Blizzard unit’s “World of Warcraft” online multiplayer games, after losing almost 1 million the previous quarter. The number of paying subscribers fell to 10.2 million from 10.3 million in October.

New Online Titles

The online multiplayer unit plans to release two new titles this year, Kotick said. He declined to provide the dates.

“They are hard at work at making sure they’re going to deliver things that are going to satisfy their audience,” Kotick said.

Activision hasn’t followed other traditional game companies in developing games for social platforms such as Facebook Inc.

The company is trying to boost sales with digital downloads of new game levels and an online subscription service for its core “Call of Duty” franchise. As of Jan. 31, it had 1.5 million people paying $49.99 annually for strategy guides and other content.

“You’re seeing shifts in platforms, shifts in places people are consuming interactive entertainment and stratification to very high-quality experiences,” Kotick said.

Digital revenue accounted for more than 34 percent of total sales for the year, the company said in the statement.

For all of 2012, Activision forecasts profit of 94 cents a share excluding items, on adjusted sales of $4.5 billion. Analysts project 97 cents on revenue of $4.55 billion.
Source: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-...es-while-forecast-falls-short.html?cmpid=yhoo

So either Diablo 3 won't come out in 2012, or it'll be an entire year more with WoL, or I'll be stuck raiding Dragonsoul for 11 more months? Shoot me now.

HoS is the least pressing issue here, they really need to get D3 out and Pandaria.

EDIT: How can they have so little income? WoW takes nothing, and profits are huge.

Krilekk

Banned
I wonder what you have to do to your books to come up with only $99 million profit when you just sold 21.5 million CoDs, 2 million CoD Elite subs, got loads of money from WoW and Spyro Skylander. Seems to me like Activision can be creative, just not with their games.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So, for our follow up on BF3 vs. CoD8, we have CoD8 at 21.5M CoD franchise at 21.5 million sold through and BF3 at 11M sold through.

So they ended at about half against the entire franchise's sales in this year, and the shooter industry grew pretty astronomically.

foladar

Seems to me like they're planning Diablo 3 and MoP being released in 2012, and a possibility of HoTS coming out in 2012. They did say "at least" two titles.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I wonder what you have to do to your books to come up with only $99 million profit when you just sold 21.5 million CoDs, 2 million CoD Elite subs, got loads of money from WoW and Spyro Skylander. Seems to me like Activision can be creative, just not with their games.

Deferred revenue.

It's the same reason EA lost $200 million last quarter, but expects ~$450-550 million in profit next quarter.

It's why I stopped reporting quarterly profit in thread titles. :lol

I can do it for laughs though so people come in and learn about deferred revenue.

TheExodu5

Banned
How the heck have they made so little money?

Deferred revenue.

It's the same reason EA lost $200 million last quarter, but expects ~$450-550 million in profit next quarter.

Ah. That's weird that they're allowed to do that...does that mean they only pay taxes later?

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I assume there will be a Q&A session in conjunction with the presentation. While the numbers are moderately interesting, I'm finding specific questions regarding next generation initiatives (most prominently Wii U) more exciting. I don't expect anything this close to Game Developers Conference, but it would be nice to be given at least a few hints.

Deferred revenue.

I can do it for laughs though so people come in and learn about deferred revenue.

That doesn't make sense. Where will you get deferred revenue in a videogame industry? They are collecting all these WoW subs and cashing out once a year? On what exactly do they have deferred revenue?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
How the heck have they made so little money?

Ah. That's weird that they're allowed to do that...does that mean they only pay taxes later?

Nah, they're forced to do it by general accounting practices.

You see, retailers don't pay them for the games they sold until 3-6 months later, so Activision actually hasn't received the money they made for all the copies of Call of Duty and Skylanders they sold.

That doesn't make sense. Where will you get deferred revenue in a videogame industry? They are collecting all these WoW subs and cashing out once a year? On what exactly do they have deferred revenue?

Retailers don't pay publishers until 3-6 months later, and receive their stock for "free" up front.

InertiaXr

Bloomberg said:

Interesting that digital sales were a full third of their revenue, especially since a huge portion of their CoD sales would be retail ps3/360, yes? Though I guess WoW subscribers would generate a ton of 'digital' revenue too...

codhand

Been on quite a few ATVI calls, this is the most positive sounding one in years.

*They always sound positive, but the street never agrees.

**"Free To Play Micro transaction Chinese CoD"???

Top Bottom