• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New FFXIV Trailer: A Realm Reborn

Toth

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLwvvQdIKN8&feature=player_embedded

More information here:

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/51261

We’re busy preparing a little something special for the upcoming 25th anniversary of FINAL FANTASY, and getting ready for the FFXIV alpha test. The heat is on—figuratively and literally.

Like I wrote last time, there’s been a lot going on. The new teaser site’s gone live, the new game title’s been announced, the new logo’s been revealed, and a new trailer’s been released. We’ve thrown a bunch of stuff out into the public, and now we’re finally shifting into full-blown A Realm Reborn mode.

There’s tons of topics I’d like to get into with you—what’s on the teaser site, what’s in the trailer, the imagery of the new logo, the meaning of some of the keywords we’ve been dropping… But in this letter, I’m just gonna talk about what’s going on in the trailer. Hope that’s cool for now. The title of the trailer is The Fate of Eorzea, and in editing, the cuts, voiceover, and music were put together with the aim of appealing to people all around the world in a big way. That’s why it might look a little different from other FF series stuff you’ve seen up till now. We tried to make it as much like a hit Hollywood blockbuster trailer as we could.

I know you’re all jonesin’ for some in-game footage, though, and I promise it’s on the way. We’re going to be introducing some of the new content and features, doing walkthroughs on some maps, and showing the overhauled combat and Battle Regimen systems. It’s all going to be coming gradually as part of A Realm Reborn’s marketing leading up to release. I know that’s a bit longer than some of you would like to wait, but I hope you’ll bear with us and keep an eye out for it all!

FFXIV: A Realm Reborn isn’t meant for any one region or specific generation of gamers. Whether you know FF or don’t, whether you’ve ever played it or not, whatever hours you keep, whatever language you speak—it’s a game meant to be enjoyed by anyone in any part of the world.

I hate to repeat myself, but I really want to show the appeal of A Realm Reborn in a gradual and easy-to-understand way, even to people who don’t know anything about the FINAL FANTASY series.

Still, I admit there’s a bit of a persistent traditionalist in me. I did want to use the FF Crystal Theme in the BGM of the trailer, but in the end I decided that it just didn’t fit the vibe. This first trailer really needed something with more punch.

So after really having that inner voice nag at me for a while, I decided to have another trailer made up, which we did thanks to the hard work of the Visual Works crew, Masayoshi Soken and the others from our sound team, and our marketing and PR teams.

For old-school FF fans out there like me, I hope that you can feel a nice mix of the old and the new—some nostalgia and some novelty. This is the second trailer for the game. The last one was The Fate of Eorzea. Let’s go ahead and call this one A Realm Reborn. Boom. That just happened.

edit: Can a mod change my title please? The trailer should be called a A Realm Reborn. My bad!

glaurung

Looks epic.

But considering the soul crushing chore that FFXIV was when I first bought it, I remain skeptical. My sub ran out in July and I am not going to try to be eligible for Legacy either any more.

Plus the fact that COMING SOON probably means that they'll have another CG trailer at E3 2013.

Looks epic.

But considering the soul crushing chore that FFXIV was when I first bought it, I remain skeptical. My sub ran out in July and I am not going to try to be eligible for Legacy either any more.

Plus the fact that COMING SOON probably means that they'll have another CG trailer at E3 2013.

I think it was officially stated that there would be gameplay at gamescom, but i could be wrong.

Nilaul

Why are we back to the medival ages, when the other games before were really really sci-fi and futurisitc? Are these games set in chronological order?

DaBuddaDa

Why are we back to the medival ages, when the other games before were really really sci-fi and futurisitc? Are these games set in chronological order?

Every numbered/mainline Final Fantasy game takes place in a different world. Some are medieval, some are sci-fi, some are steampunk, some are a hodgepodge of everything.

Nilaul

Every numbered/mainline Final Fantasy game takes place in a different world. Some are medieval, some are sci-fi, some are steampunk, some are a hodgepodge of everything.

ooo...not sure If too like that part of the story. however I understand why thiey opted for this. I thought the reborn signified thatt these events take hundreds of years after an ancolapytic event.

Thoraxes

ooo...not sure If too like that part of the story. however I understand why thiey opted for this. I thought the reborn signified thatt these events take hundreds of years after an ancolapytic event.

It takes place right after an apocalyptic event.

Whoa whoa whoa, the games in the FF series are not all set in the same universe.

What's going on in FF XIV has nothing to do with any other game.

Arc07

Are they rerolling everything or adding "new" servers? I don't feel like coming back when everyone is a beast and I'm level 13.

jiggle

Are they rerolling everything or adding "new" servers? I don't feel like coming back when everyone is a beast and I'm level 13.

no, all current stats/characters carry over
they are even giving ppl the option to redo their avatar without losing anything

there'll be new servers for new players i believe

Where are they getting these narratives from?

anyway... yes I like this trailer much more better than the last one.

OMG can't wait to see the gameplay videos kicking in :D

TheMink

Around the same time. Beta for it should come out before Christmas.

Really??

I'll be back on as soon as I can l, I'm already legacy anyways.

Look for me Gaf
Eleaus Ffamran

I was going to play all the way up to the 2.0 release but then i had a class out of town for two weeks and when i came back i was already booted from the gaf ls lol, so ill just wait for a realm reborn :p

To be fair I didnt tell anyone I would be gone though. XD

TheOddOne

I like the reaction in the trailer.

ixRu3wDjLFQoX.gif

Haunted

At this point people just need to see someone simply playing the game for an hour or two.

These CG trailers serve to raise awareness, sure, but that's not what FFXIV needs right now. You need to reassure players that this is going to be a good game above all else.

glaurung

At this point people just need to see someone simply playing the game for an hour or two.

These CG trailers serve to raise awareness, sure, but that's not what FFXIV needs right now. You need to reassure players that this is going to be a good game above all else.
Good god, no!

If they release a video of someone playing the current version, people will kill themselves. Imagine a 10m video of a player gathering ore. He approaches the node, clicks it. It takes five seconds for the contextual menu to open. He clicks the first choice. Wait five seconds. Rinse and repeat ten more times.

The average player has bought three copies of WoW in that time.

No gameplay again?

Gameplay is expected to be shown at Gamescon 2012. Until then, he did say:

I know you’re all jonesin’ for some in-game footage, though, and I promise it’s on the way. We’re going to be introducing some of the new content and features, doing walkthroughs on some maps, and showing the overhauled combat and Battle Regimen systems. It’s all going to be coming gradually as part of A Realm Reborn’s marketing leading up to release. I know that’s a bit longer than some of you would like to wait, but I hope you’ll bear with us and keep an eye out for it all!

Good god, no!

If they release a video of someone playing the current version, people will kill themselves. Imagine a 10m video of a player gathering ore. He approaches the node, clicks it. It takes five seconds for the contextual menu to open. He clicks the first choice. Wait five seconds. Rinse and repeat ten more times.

The average player has bought three copies of WoW in that time.

I think he meant someone playing 2.0. :p

Loona

If only this was a CG movie and not a mmorpg...

Surely it won't take long for someone to compile all story cutscenes and youtube them - and with the game's default graphics, those will look pretty good by themselves.

As for the concern about starting new while the game is full of veterans, most veterans probably haven't levelled all their classes (and some new ones seem to be planned, as in-game there's a guild of gun users, but no class is available to players yet), and when you take on a new class it's at level 1, regardless of the other you have, so it's still possible for someone new to party with veterans on almost equal footing.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Odin looks awesome.

Just have to gauge which design I like more between VIII, Type 0, and XIV.(Love em all)

Hopefully GILGAMESH makes it in. I would love that.

Top Bottom