• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSB4: many new characters & all characters will have new skills

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Correct Translation:

Actually, as most had expected, Sakurai's speech was mostly a retrospective of his history in the game industry. He did manage to slip in mention of the new Smash Bros., though. As quoted at Famitsu.com, Sakurai mentioned the new title just once, saying "It's fun making new skills for new characters."

I'm not sure if it's accurate anymore.

Sakurai from HAL Laboratory, producer of Kirby and Smash Bros. series had an hour of keynote speech at CEDEC developer conference, he mentioned that in the upcoming Smash Bros title, all characters will have new skills, there are many new characters, and it is fun to work on these features.

Source: http://www.the-magicbox.com/gaming.htm

Cramoss

4OEN3.gif

Sakurai from HAL Laboratory, producer of Kirby and Smash Bros. series had an hour of keynote speech at CEDEC developer conference, he mentioned that in the upcoming Smash Bros title, all characters will have new skills, there are many new characters, and it is fun to work on these features.
Really hope this stops people acting like SSB4 is going to either cut a lot of people from Brawl or have next to no newcomers.

Wondering what he means by new skills?

DR2K

Banned
Really hope this stops people acting like SSB4 is going to either cut a lot of people from Brawl or have next to no newcomers.

If there's going to be many new characters and he's gone on record to say the final roster number is going to be similar(or was it ideal) to brawl. . . .

Maybe moves that fit better the characters.

Like Luigi could have his vaccum instead of his rocket move or his cyclone attack and Ganondorg could have a sword.

also

Banned
Strange, Andriasang reported this differently.

http://andriasang.com/con2a3/sakura_cedec_keynote/

Smash Bros. and Kirby creator Masahiro Sakurai delivered the keynote address to kick off this year's CEDEC developers conference in Yokohama earlier today. Sakurai's speech was titled "Why Do You Make Games?". Which means... a full hour of Smash Bros. 3DS and Wii U revelations including first trailer footage!

Actually, as most had expected, Sakurai's speech was mostly a retrospective of his history in the game industry. He did manage to slip in mention of the new Smash Bros., though. As quoted at Famitsu.com, Sakurai mentioned the new title just once, saying "It's fun making new skills for new characters.

EDIT: That was posted on August 20th, while MagicBox posted on the 25th, so maybe some new new info surfaced...

Ohh... lol sorry :/

Well I really hope Ganondorf and Lucas have their own movesets now!
It's cool!

And while I'd argue Lucas is fairly unique from Ness, Ganondorf being a Falcon clone is beyond a joke now. If they desperately want that moveset kept in the series, just give it to Black Shadow and make Ganondorf not as much of a joke as he is in Brawl.

D-Pad

Don't do this, Sakurai. Don't hype me up this early. :(

I'm glad the characters are getting new skills. Should keep things fresh. Hopefully this means more than Mario's Fludd machine, lol

Edit - That Andriasang report does make it sound different.

TRAILER TRAILER TRAILER?????
I think the trailer line was a (rather bad) joke going off the tone of that first sentence.

Though if he really did announce the title, I'm going to guess either Super Smash Bros. Royale or Super Smash Bros. U-Niverse. Do I win anything if I'm right?

Sakurai in a room with game developers? Surely, there's someone there who can show him an online game and how it's supposed to work. Right?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Dixie Kong and King K Rool (DKC1 style) or bust.

Actually, I don't mind King K Rool.

Ohh... lol sorry :/

Well I really hope Ganondorf and Lucas have their own movesets now!

I hope so too. It would be nice if Ganondorf would get his moveset redone.

Maybe moves that fit better the characters.

Like Luigi could have his vaccum instead of his rocket move or his cyclone attack and Ganondorg could have a sword.

Exactly, and Luigi should have moveset from Luigi Mansion.

Strange, Andriasang reported this differently.

http://andriasang.com/con2a3/sakura_cedec_keynote/

Yikes, I guess we'll take the magicbox news with grain of salts, until third report pop up to see what they had to said.

It's cool!

And while I'd argue Lucas is fairly unique from Ness, Ganondorf being a Falcon clone is beyond a joke now. If they desperately want that moveset kept in the series, just give it to Black Shadow and make Ganondorf not as much of a joke as he is in Brawl.

I have been suggesting that Black Shadow should absorb Ganondorf moveset.

It's cool!

Yeah, I always hated how one of Ganondorf's taunts in Brawl was him taking his sword out. It was like they were shoving it in your face.

I think the trailer line was a (rather bad) joke going off the tone of that first sentence.

Though if he really did announce the title, I'm going to guess either Super Smash Bros. Royale or Super Smash Bros. U-Niverse. Do I win anything if I'm right?

Super Smash Bros Universe seems too obvious. And they never used the name of the console in their names.

I just hope they're not going to do it MK7-style and name it Super Smash Bros 4.

EVOL 100%

Sakurai in a room with game developers? Surely, there's someone there who can show him an online game and how it's supposed to work. Right?

The ones getting their hands dirty seems to be mainly Namco so maybe we'll get SC5's netcode which is pretty good.

Roo

If there's going to be many new characters and he's gone on record to say the final roster number is going to be similar(or was it ideal) to brawl. . . .

I'm sure the final roster will be similar to Brawl's but they will expand it with DLC after a few months. Mark my words

Super Smash Bros Universe seems too obvious. And they never used the name of the console in their names.

I just hope they're not going to do it MK7-style and name it Super Smash Bros 4.

The four stands for how many playable characters you can expect in the final game.
50+ roster in the final game, LET ME BELIEVE DAMNIT

Also while he's not one of my absolutely must-haves (that's reserved for Goroh, Mac, Mega Man and Ridley), K. Rool would be excellent fanservice if they work in his blunderbuss and pirate persona. Final smash could be him faking his own death too.

I'm sure the final roster will be similar to Brawl's but they will expand it with DLC after a few months. Mark my words
unless Nintendo keeps their promise about not going over-board with shitty DLC practices I, no offense intended, hope you're completely wrong.

The ones getting their hands dirty seems to be mainly Namco so maybe we'll get SC5's netcode which is pretty good.

I hope we get options also. It's pretty shameless that for all of Sakurai's customization fetishes, the online section of Brawl had a paltry selection of modes and options. Not that any of them were playable because of lag.

BlackJace

Jesus, can you imagine the hype leading up to this game? It's a new Smash, which alone warrants massive hype, but this is also it's first foray into high definition.

Better hardware should dictate better physics, more intricate stages...

Awwwwwwwww yeah!

Cramoss

Jesus, can you imagine the hype leading up to this game? It's a new Smash, which alone warrants massive hype, but this is also it's first foray into high definition.

Better hardware should dictate better physics, more intricate stages...

Awwwwwwwww yeah!

You can hear the hype train from the distance getting closer and closer..

Hopefully as big as SSB64 -> Melee was.

I may be in the minority (online anyway) that prefers Brawl to Melee, but I can't deny just how great it was to pick up Melee after playing SSB64 for the past couple years just to have a game which felt both familar and completely new at the same time. Brawl in comparison was far easier for me and my friends (we're all pretty casual towards fighting games for a frame of reference) to pick up and play, even with the new characters.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well it gives him an easy excuse to revamp PIt's moveset to include all his new moves.

Would people be happy if all characters got a new move set even if it meant removing some characters?

Top Bottom