• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS can use 128GB SDXC cards

The_Lump

Banned

Wait, this trick won't work with the Wii U because the FAT32 format doesn't support files bigger than 4GB. Nintendo might get around this limitation by splitting their backup format but I really doubt they'll do something like that.

Thanks. Maybe won't have to reformat on Wii U? It's designed to work with external HDD/SDD so hopefully will work?

Really don't want an HDD sat next to my WiiU :(

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Nintendo could support the SDXC default format (exFAT), but then they'll have to pay a licence fee.

donny2112

Maybe let us have video clips longer than 10 minutes? Has anyone found a workaround for this yet?!

Watch them in a row?

Still hoping they'll allow full 3-D movies to be bought on the system. There's a 12-minute 3-D video for $2 on the eShop, so the paid for movies certainly don't have the 10-minute restriction.

DR2K

Banned
Sony has lost so much money on digital sales from me for fucking up their memory. Utterly ridiculous.

Skelter

Banned
Necrobump!

My 32GB SD card only has around 30,000 blocks left. Pokémon X/Y are 14,000 blocks. Anyone know a decent SDXC card I could buy? Reading Amazon reviews and well worries me a bit before taking a plunge.

I saw this one but like I said the reviews are mixed. I don't mind spending a good amount just not something obscene.

617Dl8Tb1eL._SL1000_.jpg

Also don't give me shit for downloading.

Glass Rebel

Necrobump!

My 32GB SD card only has around 16,000 blocks left. Pokémon X/Y are 14,000 blocks. Anyone know a decent SDXC card I could buy? Reading Amazon reviews and well worries me a bit before taking a plunge.

I saw this one but like I said the reviews are mixed. I don't mind spending a good amount just not something obscene.

Also don't give me shit for downloading.

From my experience you want
1) a Class 10 card
2) from Sandisk or Kingston

Which would make this the cheapest option.

It's been a while since I used Kingston cards though and Sandisk is definitely perferable.

edit: for some reason, SDXCs seem to be a tad bit overpriced on Amazon.com. I can get a Sandisk Ultra (Extreme and Extreme Pro are overkill on 3DS) 128GB for ~$125 in Switzerland.

Skelter

Banned
1) a Class 10 card

It's been a while since I used Kingston cards though and Sandisk is definitely perferable.

Thanks. I'll probably end up getting this before Pokémon then. I don't feel comfortable having such little space left.

Except the part where you can store your Vita games on your PC.

No need when we actually have space on our cards. $116 for a $128gig is still better than any Vita card.

Glass Rebel

Thanks. I'll probably end up getting this before Pokémon then. I don't feel comfortable having such little space left.

I added something in my post, here it is again so you don't miss it:

edit: for some reason, SDXCs seem to be a tad bit overpriced on Amazon.com. I can get a Sandisk Ultra (Extreme and Extreme Pro are overkill on 3DS) 128GB for ~$125 in Switzerland.

So I'd rather recommend this one

But look for a better price at a different retailer. I'm not familiar with the US market.

SmokeMaxX

1) a Class 10 card

No need when we actually have space on our cards. $116 for a $128gig is still better than any Vita card.
If you browse through available sellers, that card is $90 from Amazon (but ships in a few weeks) and $82-85 from a 3rd party seller.

EDIT: And $80 with free shipping for a used card. One of the used cards has prime shipping available so you can get it within a few days.

Hey, necrobump alert for those not looking at timestamps.
I just almost accidentally quoted someone 2012.

Sandisk may seem like the usual, generic SD provider, but I haven't had any problems with them. So I'd agree with people recommending Sandisk.

I personally end up buying stuff from Samsung even though it probably doesn't make any sense. I've become too into buying Samsung products.

But really, Sandisk sounds right.

OctoWara289

Neo Member
I don't care how large of a card you can put into the 3DS, the fact that there is still no account based system means that all of that data could become corrupt and you'll never retrieve it back. Next.

Skelter

Banned
I don't care how large of a card you can put into the 3DS, the fact that there is still no account based system means that all of that data could become corrupt and you'll never retrieve it back. Next.

False. I have redownloaded my games twice already. I had forgot to back up when I upgraded my SD card twice.

Korosenai

I've got a 32 gb and I don't think I could ever fill it up... i'd never need a 128 gb though I could see it being useful for digital only people.

diaspora

You can re-download your purchases onto a new SD card, so you can retrieve it back. Next.

I don't think you understand how digital works on Nintendo systems.

The only risk is if you have your system stolen or broken. In the case of stolen you MAY be able to get your account restored to a new system if you file a police report.

Has Nintendo said anything about these cards being supported? My friend would buy these huge (at the time) 3rd party memory cards for ps1 and I think they corrupted all his data more than one time. Since according to this thread Nintendo only said 32gb I'm a little worried.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Has Nintendo said anything about these cards being supported? My friend would buy these huge (at the time) 3rd party memory cards for ps1 and I think they corrupted all his data more than one time. Since according to this thread Nintendo only said 32gb I'm a little worried.
You can always put the save files on your computer beforehand in case that does happen.

Skelter

Banned
I've got a 32 gb and I don't think I could ever fill it up... i'd never need a 128 gb though I could see it being useful for digital only people.

Well like I said mines is almost full!

Officially no but that's kind of the point of this thread. Reformatting the SD card will allow the 3DS to use it.

Kolma

You could film a lot of 3D videos with that lol. It's too bad the music app is pretty bad at indexing the file system, because otherwise that would be a good use for it too.

All at 10 minute intervals...
*Sticks to Evo 3D for 3D video capturing in 720p

I'm considering an upgrade to an 8GB, I tend to get cards when they're uber cheap (got the 4GB one at like $7 and was by Duracell IIRC).

Also, I should expand my Wii U's storage, what's a good cheap option? And don't I have to format it beforehand? Never had to with SD Cards for my 3DS.

C.T.

Well like I said mines is almost full!

Officially no but that's kind of the point of this thread. Reformatting the SD card will allow the 3DS to use it.

man with that many games you really should consider using folders. Looks like a mess.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Wot? I've felt invincible with my 32gig card up until now.. :(

Also on #team-no-folders

Skelter

Banned
man with that many games you really should consider using folders. Looks like a mess.

I like the game icons and I have them arranged alphabetically so it's not hard finding a specific game. I have it zoomed in to 3 rows just zoomed out so you can get an idea of how many games I have downloaded. I hate using folders.

Wot? I've felt invincible with my 32gig card up until now.. :(

Also on #team-no-folders

giphy.gif

games on psn plus is still better than spending 40 euros on a single game,not to count offers,discounts,etc put that into equation if you wanna talk about savings

False. I have redownloaded my games twice already. I had forgot to back up when I upgraded my SD card twice.

well if you lose your console,gets broken or sell to another person you are fucked without remision,nintendo account system is ABYSMAL

Skelter

Banned
games on psn plus is still better than spending 40 euros on a single game,not to count offers,discounts,etc put that into equation if you wanna talk about savings

Subjective and at least I get to play some new games regularly instead of ports. I like Persona but still not worth an entire console for a game I've played.

Steam > PSN so what's your point?

well if you lose your console,gets broken or sell to another person you are fucked without remision,nintendo account system is ABYSMAL

I agree. What's your point? I'm an adult I understand how bad not having an account system is and you know what? It's my money.

GulAtiCa

I still have 187,774 blocks open on my 32GB card, so I think I still have a while before I need to upgrade. Downloading Pokemon X will surely dent it a little of course.

King_Moc

Banned

I've never understood the 'sell to another person' argument. Who the hell sells their console, but keeps the games? What are you going to play them on?

Skelter

Banned
The other model of the same console? You know like Nintendo always does 3+ times every generation with their handhelds.

Then not_so_special would be wrong wouldn't he? Just system transfer before selling the 3DS with the downloaded games. What's the problem? Charge more if you're selling it with the games.

King_Moc

Banned
The other model of the same console? You know like Nintendo always does 3+ times every generation with their handhelds.

Still don't understand. I upgraded from a 3DS, to a special edition Mario one, to a 3DS XL and transferred everything each time. I also transferred from a Wii to a Wii U just fine.

Top Bottom