• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Relics of the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
As a joke I with a bunch of others used that MSChat IRC client in a room I'm a regular in. What was shocking is that I discovered that people were still make avatars for it. The software for making the avatars doesn't even work on a modern Windows OS.

ruxtpin

Banned
Can't get a screenshot, because I don't have one available... BUT...

Microsoft Gaming Zone - Way back when it first started, this was the best way to play Close Combat: A Bridge to Far and Close Combat 3: The Russian Front (2 of the best RTS games I've ever played).

equap

Banned
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ImagiNation_Network
6a0120a85dcdae970b0120a86dc362970b-pi

one of my first internet experiences.

Zapages

I know not the internet but any of you remember this? I played this in highschool..same time when the internet blew up.

Pillwar.png

there was a windows version of BOLO. O_O My friends and I used play this on old Macs that we had in middle school... So much fun. Making groups and go all out. :)

Cipherr

Old school File sharing with Direct Connect+

DC_en.jpg

I remember the UI looking different than the above, so Direct Connect probably had many revisions and updates, but I remember this from way back.

-KRS-

Nostalgia overload in this thread. The internet was so different back in the 90s. These days everything is so streamlined and easy.

There is sort of a way to get that 90 Internet experience today though, and that is to use hidden services on Tor and eepsites on I2P. A lot of them are built basically like 90s websites because most of the users of Tor/I2P block javascript and the like for added privacy. And the (lack of) speed is also there. At least when you first connect to a hidden service and it has to build the connection. It can take like a minute to connect to a hidden service! And there are guestbooks to sign and simple chatrooms to visit and completely text-based forums etc. It's pretty magical. It's just a shame there isn't more interesting content on there yet.

And for the Swedish gaffers:
Funplanet
Lunarstorm

Funplanet was probably one of the first websites I used to visit regularly. They had cool browser games and chatrooms. I always spent my time in those chatrooms. Some fun times were had there for sure. I provided a link on archive.org, but it's still online at http://funplanet.se

And I think everyone my age had a Lunarstorm account at one point. It was basically a Swedish/Scandinavian precursor to Facebook. I have no idea what became of it but it seems to be down these days.

Not a big "relic" and not sure of its relevance today, but in the mid 2000's I went all apeshit for stardock and object dock. I had my girlfriends computer looking like this during christmas time. We loved it.
BMa6pl.jpg

I know not the internet but any of you remember this? I played this in highschool..same time when the internet blew up.

Pillwar.png

Yeah, we had an AppleTalk (and then ethernet) LAN at home and played all the time with friends. Was well out of school by the time WinBolo came along.

The author of Bolo, Stuart Cheshire works at Apple with the job title "Wizard without portfolio". He does a lot of work with zero-configuration networking ('Bonjour').

coldvein

Banned
i think participating in AOL/yahoo chat rooms so much at relatively young age may have done severe social damage to me.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
The AOL message boards...

YOAPjh.png

Holy moley. Really was a nice message board interface, as I recall. Looks like you found the one screenshot of it on the internet!

mclem

This thread drove me to finally hunt down a picture story I recall reading the start of in the mid-90s but never completed - all I could recall is that there was one page which rhymed "Jerry can" with "pelican", with a character going through a checklist which suggested that the *only reason* he had the Jerry can was *so* it could rhyme with pelican.

It'd been nagging me for a long time since I knew it had a complicated name, but couldn't actually find what from that scant information... until now.

Concuspidor & the Grand Wizard of Many Things

Also:

0RNjd.jpg

ferr

9e716be8ebd611e1ba8122000a1e878c_6.jpg

Those dreaded AOL punters... bad times when you had to dial up again after getting IM-bombed.

Wow, that's screwed up- I was about to post the same image.

I was looking for FateX3, though.

Who remembers WaReZ in chat rooms and getting emailed MP3s??

Not a big "relic" and not sure of its relevance today, but in the mid 2000's I went all apeshit for stardock and object dock. I had my girlfriends computer looking like this during christmas time. We loved it.
BMa6pl.jpg

Oh gosh I remember StarDock. I always wanted to customize my desktop with cool theme and I got a bootleg version from Napster I think since I don't remember the old file sharing name though.

Good times

Oh I remember another one.

Yrvx5.gif

for softwares.

Ah the 90's.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom