• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Relics of the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
there was a windows version of BOLO. O_O My friends and I used play this on old Macs that we had in middle school... So much fun. Making groups and go all out. :)

This is one of my favorite memories. Playing this during lunch in high school in the computer labs (on macs of course).

The first gaming website I have ever visited...

uvfz3.gif

Lothar

Banned
Holy moley. Really was a nice message board interface, as I recall. Looks like you found the one screenshot of it on the internet!

Nah, that was a screenshot I made today. I saved a bunch of old posts in the 90s by AOL's filing cabinet system.

You know how people were looking for Michael Jackson and got a song that was actually by Weird Al?

He tried to download Pearl Jam and got a wife instead.
lol Actually I was downloading a song from The Never Ending Story (not the main theme with the singing). It's one of my favorite childhood movies and I was running out of things to download and this text pops up saying something like "Tangerine Dream is amazing huh?". Tangerine Dream was a group that did the soundtrack I found out later, but we started talking. I guess I was downloading the song from her. I thought she was a guy because she used her co-worker's account. I was excited to know someone in the videogame industry so we became friends. Once I found out she was a woman, beautiful and only the next state over, everything changed.

We now have a baby and our 11 year anniversary is this Sunday. So that thin thread of fate changed my life forever.

Chuckl3s

lol Actually I was downloading a song from The Never Ending Story (not the main theme with the singing). It's one of my favorite childhood movies and I was running out of things to download and this text pops up saying something like "Tangerine Dream is amazing huh?". Tangerine Dream was a group that did the soundtrack I found out later, but we started talking. I guess I was downloading the song from her. I thought she was a guy because she used her co-worker's account. I was excited to know someone in the videogame industry so we became friends. Once I found out she was a woman, beautiful and only the next state over, everything changed.

We now have a baby and our 11 year anniversary is this Sunday. So that thin thread of fate changed my life forever.

Wow...that is awesome dude. Crazy how things fall in to place like that. It was fate.

This is awesome.

Gaming on MSN gaming zone, or "The zone" like people were talking about earlier.

Age of Empires 1,2, Rainbow Six (original!) clan battling like crazy... Good shit.

And of course HELLO MY FUTURE GIRLFRIEND.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Gaming on MSN gaming zone, or "The zone" like people were talking about earlier.

Age of Empires 1,2, Rainbow Six (original!) clan battling like crazy... Good shit.

And of course HELLO MY FUTURE GIRLFRIEND.

Second this. Back in 2000-2001, the most gaming fun I've ever had was hosting multiplayer team Rogue Spear games at MSN gaming zone on my dorm's T1 connection. Many late nights. God I miss that shit.

genjiZERO

Oh man, the last headline on that page:

"Square Returns to Nintendo Systems"

I remember that so clearly, and it was over 10 years ago. Time flies, life is short.

Were you ever a poster there? I was Genji. Man I loved that place. Well until Brooke killed Double Agent...

Pre

Not so much an Internet thing, but when I was a kid, my dad bought a Packard Bell computer that had all sorts of awesome software on it. Using a computer in the 90s was exciting, man.

Navigator:

pbnav35livingroom.png

Fuji Golf:

fujigolf-640x375.png

My First Encyclopedia:

a5c_8c521f17e9.jpg

Also, I used to kill so much time on this website:

lastshooting.gif

Altazor

Not so much an Internet thing, but when I was a kid, my dad bought a Packard Bell computer that had all sorts of awesome software on it. Using a computer in the 90s was exciting, man.

Navigator:

pbnav35livingroom.png

that looks "great". I mean, it's obviously not photorealistic but still... I kinda miss the late 90s/early 00s computer graphics with all the dithering and low resolution. It's just nostalgia, I know they don't hold up by today's standards.

They remind me of a very important time of my life, that's all.

Sajjaja

stickdeath.com

The violent stick games and animations, man.... Blue vs. Green. It introduced me to Robb Zombie.

Escape from Greenville and SWAT (Sticks With Ass-kicking Tactics). RIP

The webmasters of that now run Cyanide and Happiness I think.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Twisted Humor - the guy with all the naughty hilarious videos.

Cheerilee

The Anime Web Turnpike (in case you can't read gif).

This was the definitive phonebook for everything anime that existed on the internet in the 90's.

Edit:
Popular Series
Dragonball, Card Captor Sakura,
Rurouni Kenshin, Sailor Moon,
Gundam Wing, Digimon,
Fushigi Yuugi, Evangelion,
Ranma 1/2, Slayers

cajunator

Banned

Thats an awesome story. I remember only once did someone message me while I was using that program. I didnt know it could do that and it freaked me out.

that looks "great". I mean, it's obviously not photorealistic but still... I kinda miss the late 90s/early 00s computer graphics with all the dithering and low resolution. It's just nostalgia, I know they don't hold up by today's standards.

They remind me of a very important time of my life, that's all.

I love that dithered look. It was so warm and inviting in a way. Today honestly with all the obsession over clarity and resolution, everything feels so sterile. Its just cold and uninviting by comparison. I really miss that Windows 95 look.

The Anime Web Turnpike (in case you can't read gif).

This was the definitive phonebook for everything anime that existed on the internet in the 90's.

Edit:
Popular Series
Dragonball, Card Captor Sakura,
Rurouni Kenshin, Sailor Moon,
Gundam Wing, Digimon,
Fushigi Yuugi, Evangelion,
Ranma 1/2, Slayers

OMG ANIPIKE!!!! <3

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
get yo cyber on
meQfp.jpg

Also, the old AIM noises are the biggest internet nostalgia bombs for me. I guess because I stopped using AIM years ago, so I don't know if they changed them.

Xero

I never fully understood the point of YTMND, but I'll admit, this one did crack me up when I first saw it...

Youtube wasn't really popular yet. Once youtube really started to kick off it obviously took much of the thunder out of ytmnd. YTMND was the beginning of a ton of memes back then too.

Anyone remember that MMO legend of zelda link to the past game? That was good stuff. Ran like shit though.

Also

j4lqJ.gif

Flying toasters.

Navigator:

pbnav35livingroom.png

reminds me of iOS with all its "bookshelves" and "leather-etuits" etc.
metaphors work, but visual representations of actual furniture or something is always tacky

Here's a tough one...

Does anybody remember what IGN was called before it became IGN? I used to visit it daily back in '96 or '97. I remember the pages were kind of color coded, one of the writers was a guy with Buddy Holly glasses, the other was a busty woman named Leah (who I recall worked at IGN for years and had like an advice column).
It's been bugging me for well over a year because it just totally fucking escapes me what it was called back then. It's just completely lost down the memory hole. Haha.

Cheerilee

Here's a tough one...

Does anybody remember what IGN was called before it became IGN? I used to visit it daily back in '96 or '97. I remember the pages were kind of color coded, one of the writers was a guy with Buddy Holly glasses, the other was a busty woman named Leah (who I recall worked at IGN for years and had like an advice column).
It's been bugging me for well over a year because it just totally fucking escapes me what it was called back then. It's just completely lost down the memory hole. Haha.

It used to be N64.com. Then Nintendo got mad at them. Then it became IGN64.com. Then it just became IGN.

Willectro

Banned
stickdeath.com

The violent stick games and animations, man.... Blue vs. Green. It introduced me to Robb Zombie.

Escape from Greenville and SWAT (Sticks With Ass-kicking Tactics). RIP

The webmasters of that now run Cyanide and Happiness I think.

Came here to post this, but I wasn't aware of the Cy&H connection. Interesting.

terrisus

The Nintendo Power Source on AOL

npmousepad.jpg

(That being a mousepad with the mainpage layout of the area, since, of course, all of that is long since gone, and there's nothing similar to archive.org that's going to work with anything that was only located on AOL).

That was one of the main things I was excited about going to when I first got the internet back in 1996.
AOL used to have a number of great things on it (not the least of which being a couple of MUDs, such as Terris)

I remember Battleground Halo before it became part of Gamespy. BGH was a fun site, but, it sorta died when Halo 2 came out, people on there hated halo 2 and gamespy mods started banning the regulars. The community was large, and hostile, but, it was a fun place to go. We also had several Halo:CE pros on there, so it was really well known.

Went back and today none of the regulars are there. None of the original mods or admins. Most the "pros"from Halo:CE aren't even there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom