• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Go On |OT| Matthew Perry's character's wife died, let's laugh about it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tuesdays on NBC @ 9

tumblr_m92slfljVH1rvs979o1_500.png

Matthew Perry ("Friends," "Mr. Sunshine") stars as Ryan King, a recent widower and sports talk radio host ready to get back to work after the loss of his wife. Ryan's alpha-male boss, Stephen, played by John Cho ("Star Trek," "Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle"), has a different plan in store for Ryan, making him attend grief counseling before returning to the air. A reluctant Ryan finds himself in a support group for "life change," where he meets an oddball cast of characters, all with their own backstories filled with varying degrees of loss.

On his very first visit, Ryan convinces the group to deviate from their normal session and starts a tournament-style competition (March Sadness!) to find out whose story is the worst. Ryan's total lack of interest in "the healing process" proves distracting and he soon butts heads with the by-the-books group leader, Lauren, played by Tony Award-winner Laura Benanti ("The Playboy Club"). Back at work, Ryan is confronted with the fact that he hasn't really processed his grief and realizes Lauren and the other members of the group might be key in helping him move on. Also starring are Tony Award-Winner Julie White ("Transformers") as Anne, Bill Cobbs ("The Muppets," "Night at the Museum") as George and Suzy Nakamura ("Dodgeball") as Yolanda.

"Go On" is a touching new comedy created by Emmy Award-winning writer/executive producer Scott Silveri ("Perfect Couples," "Friends"). Todd Holland ("Malcolm in the Middle"), Karey Nixon ("Free Agents," "Miss/Guided") and Jon Pollack ("Up All Night," "30 Rock") also serve as executive producers. The pilot was directed by Holland.

"Go On" is a production of Universal Television, Dark Toy Entertainment and Silver & Gold Productions.

Apparently, it's actually pretty good. This one's for you, ivysaur12!

ivysaur12

Banned
My favorite fall comedy.

Go On > Mindy > Neighbors (yes, I'm serious) > everything else

Boop boop boop boop boop she's dead!

I've liked the first 3 episodes (didn't catch tonight's yet), it's definitely a show I've got on my schedule this year, it's got a pretty interesting dynamic.

t-ramp

I saw the commercial-free preview whenever that showed and wasn't very impressed. No plans on catching further episodes, but who knows.

ultron87

I enjoyed the first 3 episodes. Didn't catch tonight's yet.

I like that it actually manages to have some emotional moments.

jiggle

the show is surprisingly pleasant
maybe not the radio part
the weirdo and the lesbian from transformers are the standouts so far
did they ever reveal who the asian doctor from modern family lose?

they need to cast courtney cox as the dead wife

TripOpt55

Yeah this has been good so far. Really growing on me. Best new show I have seen this season, but I have not seen much yet to be honest.

Ok, what is the deal with the creepy guy with the beard? I'm only two episodes in, but that dude is hilarious and hilariously creepy. I was surprised that Ryan didn't invite the old man (George?) to stay with him in his house since he isn't able to stand being alone there and the old guy hates the nursing home and got robbed. They could have been roommates.

Last night's episode was pretty weak save for the hot figure skater at the end. Jokes weren't funny at all. Props to the promoters leaving out fugly blonde lady from the promo pic. Dunno how long the premise of this show can last...you'd have to figure they'll get over their issues eventually, right? Assistant lady at the station is hot. Waiting for the inevitable Perry/counselor hook up.

ivysaur12

Banned
The scene with Anne and Ryan when they were talking about how they couldn't move on was really something. What a great scene.

"Yo soy lesbiana. I looked it up for this."
"Oh no, one day I tell you what that means."

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I watched the preview after the Olympics a few months ago, and I wasn't impressed. It seems to have a solid premise (I guess), but the acting/emotions was forced at times, and the plot seemed to jump all over the place. Maybe that has more to do with the setup of the preview more then anything else, but I doubt I'll actively seek out the show, so unless I see it on TV and I'm bored; already a miss for me.

I watched the pilot and really enjoyed it, I think I'll stick with it. Ivysaur, I'm trusting in your Mindy and Neighbors enjoyment, I'll add them to my Hulu queue.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Caught up with the last 3 episodes on Hulu today.

After the pilot I wrote the show off. Thanks to GAF I picked it back up I'm enjoying it.

freshair

Cho + Miller + Perry. Hilarious scenes

tumblr_mamr4jZgmZ1rgcsgxo1_500.gif

Steven: I make okay things good and good things great. He wants to get a beer, I say let’s get two beers. He wants to go to dinner, I say let’s go to Vegas. I’ve never had to make something sad less sad. I want to be able to help. I think I can.
Carrie: Can you?
Steven: You tell me.

tumblr_mar2n1Mzn81qmib84o1_250.gif

tumblr_mar2n1Mzn81qmib84o2_250.gif

Vert boil

Apart from the second episode I've enjoyed (and actually lol'd at) every episode so far. Nice to see Gelmania on tv.

It seems strange that Owen freely talks now. Choosing to ignore it and just watch for the funny.

Watched the third and fourth episode today. Really liked them. The angry cool lesbian is awesome. And Matthew Perry does look a lot like Rachel Maddow.

I think my favourite moment so far is in the third episode where the group seems angry at him and someone asks what a big shot like him usually does on Thursday nights, and it cuts to Perry's face and he looks like he's about to fall apart. Lauren notices and changes the subject only for Perry to make a crack about the Porsche. I really liked that. This show does the sad and the funny balance really well.

jb1234

It's good to see it's gotten better. The only comedy pilot this year I enjoyed (The New Normal) got worse and worse to the point where I fast-forwarded through chunks of the last episode. Won't be returning to it.

jiggle

nooooo that's not monica!
the crazies still work without perry
radio part still boring
and no hot assistance to redeem it

Managed to catch this week's episode (started with the one from two weeks ago and missed last episode). Commercials won me over and the show didn't disappoint. Feels good to be excited for next Tuesday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom