• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First screens of Karateka

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Release date: November 14th

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Karateka/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8025841128c
boxartlg.jpg

ShuIB.jpg

hsgS4.jpg

HOQjE.jpg

ijMjS.jpg

yeImD.jpg

LsHWZ.jpg

I like it, though I'd prefer something flatter and seen from a distance with a neutral camera, like the old game. Hope it animates well and plays in the spirit of the old game, with added mechanical depth, of course.

I guess Mechner is not involved in this?

From an earlier news story last year, I believe he's about as involved as he was with PoP SoT.

edit: from a story last February.
Doesn't specify capacity of involvement, but he's directly involved somehow.

Acosta

Errrr...

Not what I expected :(

Karateka is one of my most beloved memories with the CPC. I'm sad, I expected something more stylish and alike to that.

Floex

From PRINCE OF PERSIA creator Jordan Mechner, the original side-scrolling karate classic comes to XBLA with art by Jeff Matsuda (BATMAN: The Animated Series) and music by Grammy-winning composer Christopher Tin (CIVILIZATION IV). Fight to save the lovely Mariko from the evil warlord Akuma and reunite her with her True Love!

Can't say I know this game but the artist and creator has perked my interest but those screens really do look like something from iOS. It looks exactly like an Infinity Blade game

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Noooooooooooo! Not the fucking shitty cartoon ape style!

yeah, gritty realism would suit Karateka better.

edit: after reading the thread I can conclude that graphics were the most important feature of Karateka

AzaK

Eww. That looks like a fighter as opposed to a beatem up that the original was. Almost all the shots are 3/4 instead of profile.

Acosta

edit: after reading the thread I can conclude that graphics were the most important feature of Karateka

It was important. The animation was one of the defining aspects of it and it was visually a league on its own compared with other 8 bits.

I would have liked something more like the original, with smaller characters, fixed camera and trying to capture the spirit of the original with extra detail and richer combat system.

GrayFoxPL

Don't make me laugh.
Not gritty realism, but decent art style. Was Karateka was about deformed samurai dudebros with arms longer then legs?

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
It was important. The animation was one of the defining aspects of it and it was visually a league on its own compared with other 8 bits.

I would have liked something more like the original, with smaller characters, fixed camera and trying to capture the spirit of the original with extra detail and richer combat system.

you haven't seen animation yet. Besides that Mechner was talking about some unique gameplay mechanic they came up with. So I'll reserve my judgement until I see some gameplay.

Don't make me laugh.
Not gritty realism, but decent art style. Was Karateka was about deformed samurai dudebros with arms longer then legs?

no, it was about boring dudebros in karate costumes. And yeah, it sounds like gritty realism IS the art style for Karateka sequel.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Looks bleh. SSFIV quality art style would probably fit well. That dodgy looking Kung Fu Strike game on Steam sort of uses that.

Lol @ people saying we want gritty realism just because we call this art style what it is, sub par. Cartoony has been done better.

ArjanN

Name a game "KARATEka", fill it with bunch of Chinese looking characters.

Thanks again, white people.

What about them is Chinese looking?

I'll agree the art doesn't look much like old game. The old game, like the original Prince of Persia was going for fairly realistic look/animation style.

Name a game "KARATEka", fill it with bunch of Chinese looking characters.

Thanks again, white people.

Well, to be fair, most games with Asians of any kind, even from actual Asian countries, are of the hodge-podge/pan-Asian variety for stylistic purposes and for concerns of broader appeal. Anyway, it's an improvement over the awesome but interesting cover art that graced the original.
iPMAZNGSFyjDf.jpg

I mean, most of the customers were geeky white teens and men on those early computers so I get the idea of appealing to your audience.

Not digging it. Loved Karateka on the Apple II C... this looks like he lost the plot. The original, probably because of it's limitations, was kinda scary and menacing, this doesn't look like either.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Well, to be fair, most games with Asians of any kind, even from actual Asian countries, are of the hodge-podge/pan-Asian variety for stylistic purposes. Anyway, it's an improvement over the awesome but interesting cover art that graced the original.
iPMAZNGSFyjDf.jpg

I mean, most of the customers were geeky white kids on those early computers so I get the idea of appealing to your audience.

They should have played on this angle and tried their damndest to make the game look just like this. Airbrush effect and all :)

This really low-quality, subtitled .gif is oddly appropriate here:

dBrUR.gif

It looks like a bad Mark of Kri knockoff or something. Augh.

Acosta

you haven't seen animation yet. Besides that Mechner was talking about some unique gameplay mechanic they came up with. So I'll reserve my judgement until I see some gameplay.

I'm not judging animation here, never said so. I am just stating my opinion that visuals were important in the original one.

Wiseblade

Because the dude that owns it wanted to make another? If we only got what the "world" was itching for, we'd never get enough interesting and good stuff.

But still, this game doesn't seem to have anythnig other than the novelty of "Hey, remember Karateka? Well, here it is again!" It's not like the game really has a core concept that stands the test of time. Just because the guy who owns the franchise wanted to make it doesn't mean it's a good idea.

eso76

is it still an action/fighter/adventure or just a fighter ?
i remember playing the original so late and thinking pop stole its style and many ideas from it...heh.

But still, this game doesn't seem to have anythnig other than the novelty of "Hey, remember Karateka? Well, here it is again!" It's not like the game really has a core concept that stands the test of time. Just because the guy who owns the franchise wanted to make it doesn't mean it's a good idea.

Aren't you judging just a little too early? We haven't even seen this in motion let alone heard details on the gameplay.

Top Bottom