• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies about submarines are awesome

Status
Not open for further replies.
How is it every movie about submarines is fucking awesome? Obviously at the top are Das Boot and Hunt For Red October, but then there's K-19, Crimson Tide... hell, even U-571 and Below were entertaining.

Even movies where subs only make a brief appearance are instantly better. Firefox, The Life Aquatic, The Abyss and their little mini subs.....

Anyways. We need another sub movie - it has been way too long. Anything in production?

images
= MORE

Down Periscope never existed.

Jb

Das Boot is so fucking good. I watched it recently and it holds up incredibly well, even if it is a little exhausting. Then after Tony Scott's death I watched Crimson Tide and man did that one feel like a TV movie. The central conflict wasn't exactly gripping and the tension over the launch of the nuke basically nonexistent for the same reason MI: Ghost Protocol was: they're never going to have it actually blow up.

SUPREME1

Banned
I saw The Hunt for Red October at the Cinerama Dome on Hollywood when it premiered and they used the entire screen, which was rarely ever done.

EPIC.

Great movie.

Also like Cromson Tide very much. Saw it about a dozen times at the theater... since I worked there during highschool.

AkuMifune

Banned
I went through a brief submarine film phase. There's like 5 of them, then I had to give it up.

Aside from the ones mentioned, The Hunley was cool.

Poster_of_the_movie_The_Hunley.jpg

I have a 1941 shirt at home. I still need to see it, though, since my father was the one who bought the shirt.

But don't get me wrong, GAF. I have seen the full cut of Das Boot in one sitting, and it was glorious. Same goes for Red October, which completes the awesome sub-movie duo.

Jackpot

Banned
U571 spat on the memories of the servicemen who gave their lives. It'd be like if the UK made a film about the taking of Iwo Jima and replaced it all with the British Army.

JoeMartin

Das Boot is pretty much the only one remotely close to the real thing (and even then, largely not applicable to today's nuclear powered Navy), everything else being a tremendous amount of hollywood sensationalization overshadowing whatever truths may be therein.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Ice Station Zebra is so good. Borgnine was also in many other sub related movies. Torpedo Run, possibly Neptune Factor might count, Poseidon Adventure kind of. I mean as long as he was in the water I think it counts.

Danneee

Any good sci-fi submarine movies? With, like, monsters and stuff? 40000 leagues under the sea and the abyss are the only ones I know of.

Das Boot is pretty much the only one remotely close to the real thing (and even then, largely not applicable to today's nuclear powered Navy), everything else being a tremendous amount of hollywood sensationalization overshadowing whatever truths may be therein.

True - but that's kind of a given. I'll go to books for realism. I read The Ice Diaries a few months back which is a pretty spectacular account of the Nautilus.

images

Even the books are great. Subs can do no wrong.

ultron87

Any good sci-fi submarine movies? With, like, monsters and stuff? 40000 leagues under the sea and the abyss are the only ones I know of.

I'd imagine that most people that are going to do a sci fi sub movie end up just doing a space ship movie, as it presents a pretty similar circumstance in most cases.

This is pretty good if you like the hokey stuff. The utterly terrible science (THE ENTIRE SKY IS ON FIRE) just makes it more fun.

MPW-71429

'One-room' movies are usually my favorites, which is why I tend to like submarine movies. Clue is essentially a submarine movie. As is Rear Window.

I love Hunt for Red October and Das Boot (especially the extra long tv-version).

One of my all time favorite scenes is the rise aftert the submarine drops to the botton of the Strait of Gibraltar and they have to do repairs while nearly running out of oxygen. A really tense and exhausting scene. Then they surface and slip through the English lines. One long "Fuck yeah!"-scene with amazing music at the end:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oqek9Ktuwy8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom