• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titan submarine for Titanic tourism - Nightmare fuel

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Well I guess the moral of the story is: who needs science, physics and experts when we have innovation?
0Fp560b.jpg

murmulis

Sure - paying 250k and stepping into that death trap isn't a good idea. But what alternatives are there for deep-sea tourists?

As far as I know - the only other people who have this tech are the military, various scientific organisations and oil/gas companies. Neither of them want to ferry tourists around. They also prefer to use unmanned subs if possible. The crew size of their manned subs is usually 1 or 2. So they could not accept tourists even if they wanted to.

So if you are someone with more money than sense - what could you do other than buying/building a sub yourself?

I am learning a lot of things in this thread and I will do more research since its interesting. Can anyone tell me what caused the implosion? I know the water force but what is the very starting point of it before even that? Also anyone know how long the trip to the titanic was supposed to be and aprox how long would the trip last till they return?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Sure - paying 250k and stepping into that death trap isn't a good idea. But what alternatives are there for deep-sea tourists?

As far as I know - the only other people who have this tech are the military, various scientific organisations and oil/gas companies. Neither of them want to ferry tourists around. They also prefer to use unmanned subs if possible. The crew size of their manned subs is usually 1 or 2. So they could not accept tourists even if they wanted to.

So if you are someone with more money than sense - what could you do other than buying/building a sub yourself?
Well if there's no viable source for deep sea touring for the general public that is bonafide safe to use, the logical thing to do is dont bother.

If someone says they built a lava proof sub and it can cruise inside an active volcano, why would anyone do that just because they got a quarter mill on them to blow?

Last edited:

CGNoire

I am learning a lot of things in this thread and I will do more research since its interesting. Can anyone tell me what caused the implosion? I know the water force but what is the very starting point of it before even that? Also anyone know how long the trip to the titanic was supposed to be and aprox how long would the trip last till they return?
It was from 6am-5pm for the tour.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Can anyone tell me what caused the implosion? I know the water force but what is the very starting point of it before even that?
Water pressing more and more, at some point somewhere there is a crack and the difference between inside and outside pressure causes instant explosion.

baphomet

As someone who's worked on and repaired carbon fiber for the last decade for aerospace and other industries, their strain gauge to check for hull integrity would have done literally nothing. The nanosecond that there's any sort of delamination on the hull, water would have immediately torn the thing apart. I have no idea what sort of resin they used, but in my experience, once it delams, you can pull that shit off with your hands.

You couldn't have paid me the million to get in that thing.

HoodWinked

Gold Member
I brought up the Kursk couple days ago and it ended up being the same kind of thing where the passengers were already long dead while the public was still clinging to a possibility that it was a race against time as oxygen was being depleted.

also that James Cameron interview is nuts, he's very very connected in this field and knew many things before the public.

Now knowing they did make it a few times down there in the past, it explains at least why some were willing to do down there last week.

Still wouldn't do it personally, like even in a legit sub, fuck that shit

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
I brought up the Kursk couple days ago and it ended up being the same kind of thing where the passengers were already long dead while the public was still clinging to a possibility that it was a race against time as oxygen was being depleted.
In case of Kursk they actually did survive and locked themselves in a compartment that was not flooded.

nkarafo

Can anyone tell me what caused the implosion? I know the water force but what is the very starting point of it before even that?

From what i can tell by reading here and there, without me being an expert, it was the materials used for the hull, in combination with it's shape.

All other submersibles use hard steel hulls that are sphere shaped. The Oceangate one was a cylindrical tube shaped carbon fiber. Apparently they needed this shape so it can fit more people and they needed to change the material because they couldn't make this shape and size with hard steel.

Now i don't think you need to be a scientist to understand that when it comes to pressure resistence, some shapes are better than others. The sphere is pretty much the best for this because the pressure is applied evenly around it. Imagine trying to squeeze something that's shaped like a sphere an then do the same with a cylinder. Obviously, the long part of a cylindrical shape is it's weaker point and will be much easier to squeeze than it's semi-spherical sides. Pressure is not applied evenly unless it's walls are thicker when they need to be, which didn't seem like that being the case?

And apparently, the material simply wasn't as strong for this task as well. Probably just strong enough to barely pass a few tests while operating at it's limits.

Last edited:
Sure. But it did fail in the end. So i'm going to take a wild guess and bet the hull was operating at it's limits and weakened with every dive so it was a time bomb.
I've read it should be a one time use for the fiber.

But they did take 28 people down there in 2 years so these billionaires aren't as stupid as people are making them out to be.

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
It wouldn't surprise me at all if the carbon hull was supposed to be single use. The spacecraft I'm currently working on is rated for 5 uses for it's carbon frame, and space is nowhere near as unforgiving as the bottom of the ocean.

For us humans at the moment it's the ocean that's the final frontier, not space.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
From what I’ve been hearing Oceangate were warned against using a composite hull but they went ahead with it anyway.

I know carbon fibre is strong and light but having used a number of carbon fibre components on my bike I know it’s not unbreakable and prone to delaminating.

I just don’t understand why they would continue pushing to use a material that isn’t fit for its intended purpose.

I’m sure this will all come out in the investigations.
As someone who has replaced many front splitters from tracking one of my cars, it can crack very easily.

BlackTron

Gold Member
As someone who's worked on and repaired carbon fiber for the last decade for aerospace and other industries, their strain gauge to check for hull integrity would have done literally nothing. The nanosecond that there's any sort of delamination on the hull, water would have immediately torn the thing apart. I have no idea what sort of resin they used, but in my experience, once it delams, you can pull that shit off with your hands.

You couldn't have paid me the million to get in that thing.

Just from my knowledge of carbon fiber in cars I was shocked it was used in a sub.

The CEO said that carbon fiber is three times better on a strength-to-buoyancy basis than titanium and "underwater, that's what you care about". Actually man, when I'm underwater I care a lot more about not imploding. Just because the ratio is better, doesn't mean it is stronger than titanium, or strong enough.

He also mentioned how much cheaper it was. Ha, ha. I guess that's why he picked the Logitech gamepad too.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Imagine, this is slowed down for visual purposes. I had 30 ms in a previous post but experts have chimed in since the and its way more violent than that, it’s in the range of 1ms or less

The occupants wouldn’t even have had a visual cue something happened as they would be dead before their visual nerve would sent signal to brain in the 13ms range.

Mohonky

I've been considering the use of the carbon fiber as the hull. Carbon fiber is incredibly strong but also very brittle. Carbon won't take stress fatigue in quite the same way as a metal and only a small variation or defect would be catastrophic.

I was curious to metal though; which it's not necessarily as strong, under under pressure it's essentially being cold forged, curious what metal they typically use for a deap sea submersible?

X-Wing

I don't agree with takes celebrating deaths but a lot of people die trying to cross the sea to reach Europe to run a way from war and poverty and no one bats an eye, these people were on a vanity activity, their lives didn't depend on this.
I hope that company gets shutdown.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I don't agree with takes celebrating deaths but a lot of people die trying to cross the sea to reach Europe to run a way from war and poverty and no one bats an eye, these people were on a vanity activity, their lives didn't depend on this.
I hope that company gets shutdown.
All except the teenager who went because he didn’t want to disappoint his dad and was having doubts about going inside.

HoodWinked

Gold Member
In case of Kursk they actually did survive and locked themselves in a compartment that was not flooded.
I couldn't remember all the details so I looked it up says 23 out of the 100+ sailors did lock themselves in a separate compartment but after 6 hours oxygen ran low, so they tried to replace the oxygen cartridge but an accident caused that to explode which burned the remaining men and consumed what oxygen was left. Pretty much by the time most knew of the story I think they were all dead.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
The more I read into all of the various flaws regarding the sub I am genuinely shocked someone could be so stupid as to believe that something like that was safe to go underwater in at all let alone down 10 thousand fucking meters.

Last edited:

HoodWinked

Gold Member
I've been considering the use of the carbon fiber as the hull. Carbon fiber is incredibly strong but also very brittle. Carbon won't take stress fatigue in quite the same way as a metal and only a small variation or defect would be catastrophic.

I was curious to metal though; which it's not necessarily as strong, under under pressure it's essentially being cold forged, curious what metal they typically use for a deap sea submersible?
After watching a couple James Cameron news interviews (which now makes me an expert lol) it seems that they use titanium. For this sub while they did use titanium for the ends the mid section was a composite and he believes that's what failed. The problem he states is that the cycling causes stress and cracks so after a couple dives it would get weaker and weaker.

He said when looking at the wreckage that the two titanium end caps looked like they were rammed into each other.

61BI30XmK3L.jpg

one of the interviews that i didn't see posted yet.

I couldn't remember all the details so I looked it up says 23 out of the 100+ sailors did lock themselves in a separate compartment but after 6 hours oxygen ran low, so they tried to replace the oxygen cartridge but an accident caused that to explode which burned the remaining men and consumed what oxygen was left. Pretty much by the time most knew of the story I think they were all dead.
How did the compartment work exactly? wasnt the kursk underwater already?

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
After watching a couple James Cameron news interviews (which now makes me an expert lol) it seems that they use titanium. For this sub while they did use titanium for the ends the mid section was a composite and he believes that's what failed. The problem he states is that the cycling causes stress and cracks so after a couple dives it would get weaker and weaker.

He said when looking at the wreckage that the two titanium end caps looked like they were rammed into each other.

61BI30XmK3L.jpg

Well that would certainly make sense considering the already more vulnerable part of the chamber, the cylindrical part, was made of this expired composite shit.

The people at this company are/were such massive, massive shit heads.

Last edited:
Is it just me or is this press release from OceanGate kinda weird?

James Cameron just shot themselves in the foot
I don't know how much the rest of you know about deep sea diving (I'm an expert), but equity and inspiration are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in patriarchy where you can be successful by being a 50 year old white guy. If you mansplain someone in deep sea diving, you bring shame to titanium, and the only way to get rid of that shame is to add carbon fiber.
What this means is that deep sea divers, after hearing about this, are not going to want to use titanium for submersibles, nor will they go to see Avatar movies. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but James Cameron has alienated an entire market with this move.
James Cameron, publicly apologize and stop mansplaining deep sea diving or you can kiss your movies goodbye.

Mohonky

61BI30XmK3L.jpg

Ah they found the rest of the wreckage.

Makes sense, titanium is incredibly strong but also titanium alloys also have a high tensile strength.

CGNoire

I had read that one of them, besides the CEO, had been on this trip multiple times and was a huge Titanic historian. At least he died doing something he truly loved.
They where 300+ meters above Titanic before it imploded . Nowhere near close enough to see anything. Still pitch black when it happened.

Top Bottom