• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hurricane Season 2010: Getting a jump on June 1st

Status
Not open for further replies.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
A friend of mine is in that bottleneck...

44734_435433007000_552032000_5559999_4888564_n.jpg

:lol :lol

Well storm hunting time!!! Be back!

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
And now we have FIONA!

BEGIN
NHC_ATCF
invest_RENUMBER_al972010_al082010.ren
FSTDA
R
U
NONE
NOTIFY=ATRP
END

DarK SouL

I love hurricanes too, I hope one makes it to Dallas this season, sadly houses here are made out of cardboard, not concrete like on the island :/

DarK SouL said:
I love hurricanes too, I hope one makes it to Dallas this season, sadly houses here are made out of cardboard, not concrete like on the island :/

I'm pretty sure thats impossible. I think even a cat. 5 storm disappates into a tropical storm once it gets a couple hundred miles inland. Dallas is about 350miles from the coast. Not happening. You guys need to worry about tornados more.

darksunpr

Relix said:
I have a cell phone vid when I was doing some storm hunting but I missed the best part of the squall =P. Still, metro area of PR is completely frozen and stuck thanks to a useless government who wanted to continue the day as normal. Then when things progressed they canceled everything when everyone was at work or school. Idiotic. People are under tropical storm conditions in a 1 hour long bottleneck in different highways.

damn the government failed, wtf were they thinking??!?! anyways here in Juncos ( 40 min southeast of San Juan) heavy rain since early morning and strong gusts of wind, a few trees down and no power since 10:00 am.

Yeah, there was chaos on Ponce as well. I got stuck in traffic for hour and a half because everyone got sent back to their homes. I heard some kids from public schools had to walk a great distance ti their homes in the rain because there was no one to pick em up.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Government failed hard :lol :lol

Well, Metro PR should get the worst at around 8PM. The storm seemed to have stalled at the moment, it's the battle of the ridges. Whatever happens now decides if it affects the people in the East Coast.

Srsly

Banned
Xeke said:
It still hasn't made a turn for the north.

lol wat? It's not going to suddenly start moving north or even northwest. Earl will gradually gain more of a northward component over the next couple of days.

WNW -> NW -> NNW -> N -> NNE -> NE

And there will be lots of wobbles

Xeke

Banned
Srsly said:
lol wat? It's not going to suddenly start moving north or even northwest. Earl will gradually gain more of a northward component over the next couple of days.

WNW -> NW -> NNW -> N -> NNE -> NE

And there will be lots of wobbles

What I mean is I believe it will track farther west than the forecasts are currently saying.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
perfectchaos007 said:
NYC. It's destined

That would suck. Still at least where I live I didn't lose any power. Felt some strong gusts but nothing of another world. Looking at Fiona she's curving out. Now the one behind... possible Gaston... has evil intentions.

(You got banned. My Hurricane Season companion NOOOO!!)

Bad_Boy said:
whats the path of earl? i was planning on being at the beach in nc this saturday :(

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/08/31/tropical.weather/index.html?hpt=T1

North East should know by Friday what to look for

I'm on the 4 floor of a loft building with huge windows, I don't think these are very Hurricane proof

sure as I kid I was excited about Hurricanes but as a grown man who has been homeless a few times I do not wish any harm to my place now. Worked too hard to settle here

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Earl is moving at a 295-300 heading. It's south and west of the models as well at the moment. I'll be honest... NHC blew it HARD with Earl. It was supposed to curve 400 miles away from PR and look at that... 100 miles to the north and leaving tropical storm condition over us. Yes they are the pros, but if it keeps trending west the EC is on target. NC probably. New york will get some rain and winds.

NYC is overdue of a hurricane though. It's a given thing one will pass at some point there. Will Earl be the one? Who the heck knows, but as someone living in NYC I would be on the look out each time a storm gets close to the EC.

Srsly

Banned
Relix said:
Earl is moving at a 295-300 heading. It's south and west of the models as well at the moment. I'll be honest... NHC blew it HARD with Earl. It was supposed to curve 400 miles away from PR and look at that... 100 miles to the north and leaving tropical storm condition over us. Yes they are the pros, but if it keeps trending west the EC is on target. NC probably. New york will get some rain and winds.

NYC is overdue of a hurricane though. It's a given thing one will pass at some point there. Will Earl be the one? Who the heck knows, but as someone living in NYC I would be on the look out each time a storm gets close to the EC.

NHC didn't blow it hard, Earl has been within the cone of uncertainty for its entire life. Forecasting is an inexact science and the average 4 and 5 day error on point forecasts is 200 and 300 miles, respectively.

Meadows

Banned
You guys are mad, seriously. But anyway, I'm sure with you Earl lovers around this won't matter but I'm getting hit with a bad tropical storm/low cat 1 called Lionrock in Kaohsiung, Taiwan, seems pretty bad but will get worse.

By bad I mean mildly unpleasant btw, not like omg I'm going to die.

Mully

Gloria back in '85 was the last Hurricane to hit us. We got the remnants of Floyd in '98 and Isabel back in '03.

"Intense" Hurricane Earl prompts hurricane watch for part of North Carolina coast, the National Hurricane Center says. - CNN

seems hard to avoid it now can only sit and wait

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Srsly said:
NHC didn't blow it hard, Earl has been within the cone of uncertainty for its entire life. Forecasting is an inexact science and the average 4 and 5 day error on point forecasts is 200 and 300 miles, respectively.

Yes they blew it, and it wasn't in the cone. Of course it will always be in the cone when you constantly move it west. It was supposed to pass 300 or more miles east of the islands. Where is it now? About 150 miles west. That's a 450 margin and completely unaceptable. Of course we all know it's not an exact science, anyone with logic knows it, but the NHC is trusting the models too much. They won't budge their forecasts unless a model changes it, that didn't happen in the past. Yes we know it will take a general motion, but as I said... over 450 miles is a big margin, and especially when private meteorologists who don't rely on models were saying days before it could be an East Coast event. The NHC blew it, there's no way to defend them. I trust them of course, shit happens. Nature does what she wants to do.

Meadows said:
You guys are mad, seriously. But anyway, I'm sure with you Earl lovers around this won't matter but I'm getting hit with a bad tropical storm/low cat 1 called Lionrock in Kaohsiung, Taiwan, seems pretty bad but will get worse.

By bad I mean mildly unpleasant btw, not like omg I'm going to die.

That Typhoon has the most kick ass name ever. Fucking Lionrock.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Smiles and Cries said:
"Intense" Hurricane Earl prompts hurricane watch for part of North Carolina coast, the National Hurricane Center says. - CNN

So far and after so many days it finally is taking that NW course. Seems like NYC should be safe but these things are assholes. Models call for 150-300 miles off NC shore so you should feel safe for now. Get scared if it gains a WNW motion for a few hours, but as of now it's moving at 305, nearly due NW which is 315.

Macattk15

So should I be worried yet here on the coast of Connecticut?

I work for the power company ... and I'll be god damned if some hick named Earl is going to come here, fuck shit up and make me work all weekend.

MrJames

Smiles and Cries said:

As long as the storm stays offshore you should be fine. The current forecast is for a strong CAT2 by then and you'll only be dealing with the western side of the storm.

2w5nfgk.gif

I believe this updates automatically

tfwind.png

Odds of sustained winds of 39mph or greater.

Dark green is 5%; light green 10%; even lighter green, 20%
light yellow, 30%, dark yellow 40%, brown 50%
orange 60%; reddish, 70%.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Mandatory evacuations:

# Dare County officials on Wednesday morning ordered the evacuation of visitors on Hatteras Island.

# A mandatory evacuation is under way on neighboring Ocracoke Island in Hyde County. The first ferries began evacuating people to the mainland shortly after 6 a.m.

A mandatory evacuation means if you decide to stay behind, you will be without emergency services for the duration of the storm. All residents of Eastern North Carolina should double check supplies and be ready in case of a track shift.

--------------------

In Related News:

-Fiona has surprised by strenghtening to a 60mph Storm. How the fuck she did it we all question. But the HH read that from her. Oh and she wanted to die last night. She will go NW slowing down and may even loop in the north seas. Or so the NHC expects.

-98L has 80% chance of becoming GASTON and if things pan out this is a Caribbean/Antilles event since it will be a LOW tracker. High will block the path to the north. Oh and he has warmer water than Earl, Danielle or Fiona since he's south of where they formed. This storm has gigantic destructive potential if it materializes (and it will). Incredible to think it had no model support 48 hours ago.

pestul

East Coast is going to see crazy wave action. I'm guessing 15-25ft crashers. There are buoy measurements out at sea as high as 50ft nearer to the storm centre.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
TD9 has formed at least in the Internal System of the NAVY

I am happy NHC nailed Fiona by the way! =)

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
WTNT34 KNHC 011453
TCPAT4
BULLETIN
TROPICAL DEPRESSION NINE ADVISORY NUMBER 1
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL AL092010
1100 AM AST WED SEP 01 2010

...ANOTHER TROPICAL DEPRESSION FORMS IN THE EASTERN ATLANTIC...

SUMMARY OF 1100 AM AST...1500 UTC...INFORMATION
-----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...12.4N 35.8W
ABOUT 830 MI...1335 KM WSW OF THE CAPE VERDE ISLANDS
ABOUT 1720 MI...2770 KM E OF THE LESSER ANTILLES
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...35 MPH...55 KM/HR
PRESENT MOVEMENT...W OR 275 DEGREES AT 15 MPH...24 KM/HR
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...1006 MB...29.71 INCHES

WATCHES AND WARNINGS
--------------------
THERE ARE NO COASTAL WATCHES OR WARNINGS IN EFFECT.

DISCUSSION AND 48-HOUR OUTLOOK
------------------------------
AT 1100 AM AST...1500 UTC...THE CENTER OF TROPICAL DEPRESSION NINE
WAS LOCATED NEAR LATITUDE 12.4 NORTH...LONGITUDE 35.8 WEST. THE
DEPRESSION IS MOVING TOWARD THE WEST NEAR 15 MPH...24 KM/HR. THE
CYCLONE SHOULD MOVE TOWARD THE WEST OR WEST-NORTHWEST AT A SLOWER
FORWARD SPEED DURING THE NEXT TWO DAYS.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR 35 MPH...55 KM/HR...WITH HIGHER
GUSTS. SOME STRENGTHENING IS FORECAST AND IT IS LIKELY THAT THE
CYCLONE WILL BECOME A TROPICAL STORM DURING THE NEXT 48 HOURS.

ESTIMATED MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE IS 1006 MB...29.71 INCHES.

HAZARDS AFFECTING LAND
----------------------
NONE

NEXT ADVISORY
-------------
NEXT COMPLETE ADVISORY...500 PM AST.

$$
FORECASTER LANDSEA/BLAKE

145313W5_NL_sm.gif

besada

Banned
DarK SouL said:

If you're "lucky" you might get a tornado. Sort of a dumb thing to wish for, though. Tornadoes are exciting until you realize one is bearing down on you.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Lionheart1827 said:
Hey Relix, I'm on long island, you think earl will clip us in suffolk/nassau county ?

If it passes 75W start worrying =P. It's at 72.1°W and speeding up a bit. 75W would open a whole new ballpark. Also I am not a meteorologist so don't trust me :lol It's my main hobby though. I haven't closed my eyes really well for a while now thanks to these systems. With Gaston looming over it'll give me a few days of rest.

Still, NHC expects Earl to go North tomorrow so it all depends on the timing. Just wait until tomorrow. You will surely get some rain though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom