• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NOAA predicts an 'above average' Atlantic hurricane season, with 5 to 9 hurricanes

Warm sea surface temperatures and a weak or non-existent El Niño will contribute to an above-normal hurricane season in the Atlantic this year, NOAA announced Thursday, saying that 11 to 17 named storms, five to nine hurricanes and two to four major hurricanes are possible.

The predictions came in the official forecast by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) for the hurricane season that begins June 1.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/25/us/weather-hurricane-season-forecast/index.html

MGrant

I'm worried about the pacific, too. We had several big typhoons last year in Taiwan, and this year is warmer than last year.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Damn, we have our first cruise booked for the western Bahamas this October 1st - 8th. Hope the season is done by then.

Pagusas

Elden Member
That date is still peak time my friend.

Blah. Well at least the port is in driving distance and we didnt have to book any hotels or flights, so the cruise would be refunded if it got canceled due to a hurricane.

As long as it doesn't happen today, I'm flying home from Florida in a few hours. Since I've been here there have been 3 flash storms come through, probably 40mph winds, lightning storms.

You crazy Florida, I'm out.

Damn, we have our first cruise booked for the western Bahamas this October 1st - 8th. Hope the season is done by then.

October is hurricane alley for that area. You'll probably be fine though.

Xe4

Banned
I'm worried about the pacific, too. We had several big typhoons last year in Taiwan, and this year is warmer than last year.

Shouldn't a weak El Nino mitigate that though? I'd actually expect weaker typhoons this year because of a cooler sea surface temperature.

For what it's worth for the past several seasons they have warned about it being above average and worse and it ended up being below average and mostly fine (no Katrina level events). I think these people hype it up to stay employees and when they are correct it is just coincidence.

Top Bottom