• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hurricane Season 2010: Getting a jump on June 1st

Status
Not open for further replies.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Many models are showing the high blocking Danielle now. Whoops. Expect a frenzy tomorrow if it verifies.

ECMFW still showing the weakness. Man what a mess. I am just gonna sit down and see how shit goes down for the next 12-18 hours.

Relix said:
Many models are showing the high blocking Danielle now. Whoops. Expect a frenzy tomorrow if it verifies.

ECMFW still showing the weakness. Man what a mess. I am just gonna sit down and see how shit goes down for the next 12-18 hours.

So it's going to shift back toward the East coast? damn. I see Earl is still moving west but they still expect that system to turn NW soon sending it well north of Puerto Rico and toward Bermuda. Now time to watch Fionna. Its going to form soon off Africa.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
perfectchaos007 said:
So it's going to shift back toward the East coast? damn. I see Earl is still moving west but they still expect that system to turn NW soon sending it well north of Puerto Rico and toward Bermuda. Now time to watch Fionna. Its going to form soon off Africa.

Nah as of now Danielle will be a non event for anyone, not even Bermudas. It sped up a bit and will soon move N away from Bermudas and EC. As of now I declare it a fish storm =P. Something could happen but it's quite unlikely. Earl should be a USA player. I don't see it fully pursuing Danielle's path. It's moving west and it reformed the center to the southwest but doesn't seem like an Antilles event.

97L just got declared off the coast of Africa. This will be Fiona. It looks GOOD. We should have a storm in 48 hours or less. Models once more want to put it recurving. I don't buy it yet. Next wave off Africa has a good chance as well. Let's see how it goes. CV season is in full gear.

Relix said:
Nah as of now Danielle will be a non event for anyone, not even Bermudas. It sped up a bit and will soon move N away from Bermudas and EC. As of now I declare it a fish storm =P. Something could happen but it's quite unlikely. Earl should be a USA player. I don't see it fully pursuing Danielle's path. It's moving west and it reformed the center to the southwest but doesn't seem like an Antilles event.

97L just got declared off the coast of Africa. This will be Fiona. It looks GOOD. We should have a storm in 48 hours or less. Models once more want to put it recurving. I don't buy it yet. Next wave off Africa has a good chance as well. Let's see how it goes. CV season is in full gear.

lol if Danielle slows down, maybe we could get 4 systems in the Atlantic at one time!

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Hitokage said:
Nature reads my posts apparently!

Relix said:
It's been the quietest northern season (Pac and Atl) in over 100 years. Still... Season will soon pick up. Looks like 1995 and 1998 and 1950. Slow starters. Lots of hurricanes. The season is still prime, everything is set for explossion. The elements holding it back are nearly gone as well.

Relix said:
It was related to that weird High setup in Russia. It caused a 60+ day heatwave there and that strange setup was inhibiting development in part. Also, there were an awful lot of Uper Level lows that create lots of shear for systems. Most systems so far have been affected by them. It was something unexpected and we'll need to wait some more months before scientists and meteorologists can determine what and why. There's a lot of stuff we don't know yet. So far it seems that we have once more an AB High setup in the north which will keep storms moving west from CV, unless a trough comes. One will come out soon which will allow our new CV wave to recurve to the sea. But it's all about timing, no one's sure yet. ULLs are less common now so we will probably see a rise in storms soon

Told ya :lol

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Srsly said:
How's that call of Danielle heading for New York working out for ya?

Hey, at the moment it seemed like a 50/50 chance. It's better to talk about possible risks than taking things for granted. She sped up a fair bit as well.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
30cnlap.gif

24 hour Danielle movement this past August 26th

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
perfectchaos007 said:
Did Earl track a little more south recently? PR back on alert perhaps?

Yeah it dropped from 15.9 to 15.7. Now seems to be back on course with the center around 15.8. A MLC is to the north so maybe the COC will relocate. Trust me I am on watch XD. Not expecting anything direct TBH, (25% chance at the moment IMO), but some gusts and good rain are very probable.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Yo PUERTO RICO FOLKS

Expect a close brush (100 miles or less) or even a direct impact from Earl as a Hurricane. There's the possibility of it being a major by then as well. No alarm, it's a 50/50 chance. Things are panning out bad for us atm.

NHC says the center is a 16N but... for fuck's sake... there's NO turning at all in 16N. The COC relocated to 15.7 or 15.6

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
DMPrince said:
what's the eta on when it'll hit?

and Danielle looks lovely from that image :lol.

Well I won't say HIT per-se. But close call... or ... probably a landfall. I expect it to be a Hurricane by tomorrow and some models predict it to be Cat 2 or even Cat 3 if it passes sightly north of us. I see the track growing closer to us. At 5AM we will see changes. A HH Aircraft should investigate tomorrow and give us the definite information.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Puerto Rico!!

Brace for a Cat 1 or Cat 2 direct impact. The weakness has closed sightly. We are in the line of fire right now. Like straight on. So watch out.

Relix said:
Puerto Rico!!

Brace for a Cat 1 or Cat 2 direct impact. The weakness has closed sightly. We are in the line of fire right now. Like straight on. So watch out.

eh, at least you guys won't get the dirty side unless it doesn't turn. It is kinda ominous seeing it still going straight west, but I'm sure the NHC got it right. they usually do 2/3rds of the time

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
perfectchaos007 said:
eh, at least you guys won't get the dirty side unless it doesn't turn. It is kinda ominous seeing it still going straight west, but I'm sure the NHC got it right. they usually do 2/3rds of the time

They do I trust them. But I am expecting even more west shifts :lol

Relix said:
They do I trust them. But I am expecting even more west shifts :lol

are you seeing a pocketless high pressure blocking it or something? Maybe the NHC just sees it as a weaker high than you do??? For your sake I hope there is a pocket there :)

I would hate to live on an island. No where to evacuate to. lol

darksunpr

goddamn total hysteria, went to buy some stuff lines were long as F U C K! no water at most stores, no batteries, gas stations completely crowded

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Well, I'm glad that I'm back home in St. Maarten to help secure things, our house is more than hurricane ready, but we got a LOT of potted plants in our big yard, took hours to move everything into safe places...

Looks like it'll pass either directly over us, or right next to us regardless - yay, it's been like since 1995 or something since I've been in a hurricane...

darksunpr said:
goddamn total hysteria, went to buy some stuff lines were long as F U C K! no water at most stores, no batteries, gas stations completely crowded

In Puerto Rico? Man we go vacation shopping there all the time, I can't imagine anything actually selling out there, people would really have to be losing it for that to happen.

perfectchaos007 said:
Too early to tell but Earl has potential to be a New York storm! Major hurricane in New York city, thats something you don't see every day.
Unlikely climatologically.

However, this one definitely bears watching.

GregLombardi said:
Unlikely climatologically.

However, this one definitely bears watching.

well yeah I know it's almost impossible for any northern east coast state to be direct hit by a storm due to the curvature of the north atlantic drift, but this one does have potential

darksunpr

Skilotonn said:
In Puerto Rico? Man we go vacation shopping there all the time, I can't imagine anything actually selling out there, people would really have to be losing it for that to happen.

Yup, when theres a storm nearby ppl get fucking crazy down here

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
darksunpr said:
Yup, when theres a storm nearby ppl get fucking crazy down here

yeah I went out and it was chaos.

Well, thing is.... Earl is moving WNW. Should miss us by 180 miles or more. We will be lucky to feel anything now =P

Zapages

If it comes to NJ/NY area... Now that would be really weird... Never experienced a hurricane and I live on the 2nd floor.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
PRIR.JPG

Crap. It's getting pretty bad here. I live in the north coast a few miles west of SJ and a mile or so away from the beach. Fuuuuuck. This is worse than I expected. Heavy squalls, TStorm-like gusts, heavy rain, many places without power, downed trees, flooding. Wow. At least I have power and a generator in case but damn.

gcubed

a hurricane usually hits up in this area of the east cost (PA/NJ/NY) once every 7-10 years it seems. The last i remember that was bad was 1999 Hurricane Floyd (im in Philly)

Shit man I'm on Long Island. Haven't seen a big storm in a long time. Maybe if I'm lucky, work will close down. Unlucky if I have to drive in it. REALLY unlucky if it hits hard and power is out for a few days since I'll be on vacation starting that weekend + a new PS3 to play :lol Damn you Earl.

DarK SouL

Relix said:
Crap. It's getting pretty bad here. I live in the north coast a few miles west of SJ and a mile or so away from the beach. Fuuuuuck. This is worse than I expected. Heavy squalls, TStorm-like gusts, heavy rain, many places without power, downed trees, flooding. Wow. At least I have power and a generator in case but damn.

Take pictures man!!!

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
DarK SouL said:
Take pictures man!!!

I have a cell phone vid when I was doing some storm hunting but I missed the best part of the squall =P. Still, metro area of PR is completely frozen and stuck thanks to a useless government who wanted to continue the day as normal. Then when things progressed they canceled everything when everyone was at work or school. Idiotic. People are under tropical storm conditions in a 1 hour long bottleneck in different highways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom