• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hunted |OT| Never Make an Agent the Enemy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wes

venison crêpe
WARNING POST: Hunted begins October 4th in the UK on BBC1 and October 19th on Cinemax in the US. Posts in this thread may be out of sequence with your broadcaster and could be considered spoilers for those watching in the US!

TJ0sM.jpg

Synopsis
Sam Hunter, an operative for the elite private intelligence and security firm Byzantium, is finishing a mission in Tangier when an attempt on her life leaves her critically injured. Not knowing who tried to kill her, she disappears to a remote location to recover, regroup and retrain. Once she returns to the firm, she performs her secretive duties without knowing who to trust and who wants her dead.

Cast
Melissa George as Sam Hunter
Adam Rayner as Aidan Mars
Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje as Deacon Crane
Stephen Dillane as Rupert Keel
Morven Christie as Zoe Morgan
Lex Shrapnel as Ian Fowkes

Production
Created by: Frank Spotnitz (The X-Files, Strike Back)
Executive Producers: Stephen Garrett (Spooks), Jane Featherstone (Spooks, The Hour, Life on Mars), Alison Jackson (Ashes to Ashes, Eternal Law), Christopher Aird (Spooks)

Directors
Episodes 1 & 2: S.J. Clarkson (Life on Mars (UK), Hustle, Dexter, Heroes, House)
Episodes 3 & 4: Alrick Riley (Spooks, Hustle)
Episodes 5 & 6: James Strong (Doctor Who, Downton Abbey)
Episodes 7 & 8: Daniel Percival (Strike Back, The State Within, Walking the Dead)

Series Information
Number of Episodes: 8
Season 1 Main Location: London
(Each following Season will be based around a different city in the world).

Trailers
Season 1 Trailer (BBC)
Season 1 Trailer (Cinemax)

TripOpt55

I guess since this is on a premium channel it wouldn't say show up on iTunes would it? I have HBO and Showtime, but no Cinemax, but I really want to check this out.

I will subscribe to this thread which I will either be able to discuss the show in or will just taunt me and my inability to do so. Show looks really cool though.

Saw the first episode, was pretty unrealistic how she
literally walks right back into her old job.
I liked everything else. Plus it has Stannis as her boss.

Munin

Saw the first episode, was pretty unrealistic how she
literally walks right back into her old job.
I liked everything else. Plus it has Stannis as her boss.

Thought so too. And she's having a hard time selling the "tough", plus the sheer boatload of spy film clichés...but it's very well made. So I'll stick to it for now.

Wes

venison crêpe
I think I got the gist that she was/is their best agent and they couldn't do this latest mission without her, but you're right they could've done a lot better in making that point clear. Production values were good though.

It got 4.5m viewers (19% share), beating out ITV in the same timeslot so it started fairly well.

8bit

Knows the Score
Quite enjoyed it, but one sequence had me wincing
Hypodermic needle in the eye

Wes

venison crêpe
Third episode is tonight in the UK.

It's been quite slow thus far but there's definitely something simmering there and it's fairly tense at this early stage.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
>__>

Mo Ryan - Hunted

Though there's no time travel, "Hunted" reminded me a little of "Looper," in that if you poke at the structure of the thing too much, you'll just give yourself a migraine. But I was very willing to give the worthwhile "Looper" a break because so much of it made emotional and instinctual sense, and the same is true of this intelligent Cinemax drama. It's essentially interested in the ways in which lonely, damaged characters allow themselves to find comfort in a world that has no fixed moral moorings, and the wounded tenacity of these people is every bit as intriguing as the progress of that mystery briefcase.

Sounds like it's going to be a really fun show! I can't wait!

Munin

Now that the show has started on Cinemax I'll guess we have a bit of a spoiler problem with the BBC already being on episode 4 and all.

Anyway, as the AV Club review says, the series is visually stunning to a degree rarely seen on TV, but this being headed by Spotnitz I feel the writing could be a bit less trope-y. Curious to see how it develops, though.

Wes

venison crêpe
Now that the show has started on Cinemax I'll guess we have a bit of a spoiler problem with the BBC already being on episode 4 and all.

There doesn't seem to be too many of us Brits watching it so we can just spoiler our discussion of specific episodes.

I dug the premiere - just enough intrigue and backstory to get some good momentum to kick things off. Very well shot pilot, and I like the cast, too.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I really liked it! I can't remember the last time I watched a good spy film/show, even though I'm absolutely a sucker for anything espionage. I'd say that this show fills that hole nicely. The characters all seem pretty interesting thus far, and I'm really excited to see where it all goes from here. It also felt like a very substantial hour of television. It seemed to last far longer than 50 minutes - and not in a bad way.

As others have said, the show is beautifully shot. From the camera angles to the locations, every frame is just a pleasure to behold. Except for the flashbacks. Those were a flicker-y, headache inducing mess.

Melissa George is hot. She looks like a cross between Charlize Theron and Angelina Jolie.

Quite enjoyed it, but one sequence had me wincing
Hypodermic needle in the eye

Yeesh that scene was painful to watch.

I've been enjoying it, although mostly for how odd it is in places.

One thing I will add though is that Adam Rayner is an unfathomably shit actor. Close your eyes while listening to any of his lines, and you'd swear he was holding the script right in front of his face and was reading it for the first time.

Wes

venison crêpe
Fourth episode airs tonight in the UK. I think us Brits who watch it, seems to be a limited number, will just spoiler our discussion of it.

Like I needed more eyeball syringe action.

I'm going to guess Sam is some sort of Russian experiment to get super agents or something outlandish.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
She sure does sneak around a lot doesn't she? There were so many close calls in episode 2, I don't know how she managed to evade discovery every time. I hope episode 3 isn't like that; it's too tense!

She sure does sneak around a lot doesn't she? There were so many close calls in episode 2, I don't know how she managed to evade discovery every time. I hope episode 3 isn't like that; it's too tense!
Very tense episode and a lot of fun. It cracks me up that apparently the people living and running security in that house are the only ones that don't have cameras recording everything. :p

Wes

venison crêpe
Episode 6 aired in the UK last night. I think it's been the best one yet. It definitely gets stronger the longer the season goes on.

Episode 3 is on tonight in the US:
Hourglass

The Turner family travels to a country estate, where Jack Turner and other interested parties bid on the dam contract. As she tries to find out the amount of Turner' offer, Sam runs into a man from her past, whom she suspects might have something to do with the attempt on her life.

TripOpt55

Finally able to catch up on this show at least the US airings. Really love it so far. Fight scenes with Sam are really cool. And I agree with RatskyWatsky, Episode 2 was so tense. I was like how has no one bumped into her just walking around the house. Closing the door super quiet doesn't make you invisible! Liked the scenes in the hedge maze this week.

TripOpt55

Yeah I just watched 2 and 3 past two days and was like "What's with the hourglass stuff in the opening?" Now it makes a bit more sense.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Fight scenes with Sam are really cool.

I think so too, though I find them to be a little incoherent at times. I'm not always clear on which person got punched, who was thrown to the ground, etc. The fight scene between Aidan and the two goons (in episode 3) was pretty bad in that regard.

Liked the scenes in the hedge maze this week.

That was so badass. I was wondering why she grabbed so many of those maps though. I figured she was going to fashion some paper shurikens out of them, and/or use them to take down the bad guys somehow. Death by papercut or something. haha

Man this show has given me waaaaaaay too many "Oh shit!" moments. Biggest one was episode 3...you guys know what I'm talking about.

Like OH SHIT!! She is so fuuuuucked!

One thing I will add though is that Adam Rayner is an unfathomably shit actor. Close your eyes while listening to any of his lines, and you'd swear he was holding the script right in front of his face and was reading it for the first time.

Just in case anyone was wondering what all of Adam Rayner's lines sound like when strung together, this be them (minor spoilers for episode 2). Not as shit as I expected, but I guess when you remove the context created by the other (fairly decent) actors, the bar is automatically lowered.

http://youtu.be/MFwK_lrRfrA

Episode 4 airs in the US this evening:
Kismet

After Jack Turner is forced to bid more than he can afford, Sam aims to discover how he will raise the money in a short time. Turner appears to have hatched a diabolical plan with hedge fund manager Lewis Conroy (Richard Dormer), and Sam searches for the connection. Meanwhile, Aidan discovers some of Sam’s secrets and begins an investigation of his own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom