• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 40, 2012 (Oct 01 - Oct 07)

Pleased to see RE6 sell well

Some ridiculously low review scores IMO Its one of my favorite games of the year, despite some serious issues.

nickcv

PS3 took that long to get to 1 million? Never knew that. How long did it take the 360 and the Nintendo and Sega systems? I don't think the Xbox ever got there.

Wii : 6 weeks
3DS : 13 weeks
DS : 4 weeks
GBA : 3 weeks
PS2 : 5 weeks
PSP : 14 weeks [correction]
GCN : 17 weeks
X360: 176 weeks

PSV : 43 weeks

data coming from garaph. when mediacreate data was not found famitsu data was used.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I posted this in one of the RE6 threads last week and I'm glad it's being borne out:

Honestly I hope this game sells more than RE5 just to spite people.

RE6 is a great game with a really deep combat system, so I'm glad to see it's getting some recognition (albeit not in its reviews). It's the kind of game that seems inaccessible at first, but once you spend more time with it you realize how much fun it is to play. I'll be interested to see how it does in the West, where reviews were generally much less favorable. It will show us whether review scores really have that much of an impact on the sales of large franchises.

PSP : 5 weeks

data coming from garaph. when mediacreate data was not found famitsu data was used.

PS2 was actually 48 hours.

Edit: was actually 980,000 but close enough.

liger05

PSP : 5 weeks
X360: 176 weeks

43 weeks but well on target according to sony.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'm actually curious if this is the new norm for Vita with no releases, a slight negative bump because hardware dollars were spent elsewhere this week, or a sign of a major downward push for the next few weeks of no/few games.

Near as I can tell, people who don't like RE6 go "I didn't like this game, here's why."

While the people that do like RE6 are going "THIS IS WAR, BURN THE UNBELIEVERS"

So RE6 on PS3 almost doubles on the RE5 PS3 opening, but on the 360 sales have dropped to about 1/3 of RE5 360's opening week. It's going to be really, really hard for MS to have any worthwhile presence in Japan in the future imo. They were making some progress a few years back, but they've basically flushed it all away. I really don't envision the next MS console even being marketed much in Japan at all.

well, 360 did much better, what like 3x plus better hardware wise, than xbox in japan. what if the next console does 3x 360 again? that's still only 4.5m, but you're getting somewhere.

but you're right in general of course. it's just the japanese non-handheld market evaporated to such an extent this gen, that 360 might outsell ps3 worldwide without it, which going into the gen i never thought was possible.

anyways i kinda thought a lot of japanese retailers had simply stopped carrying 360 a couple years ago, limiting any possible upside to its hardware and presumably software sales these days. kinda surprised to see it do 4k for that reason.

anyways, i didn't know RE still had this much punch. hell it might be like the only worldwide popular japanese franchise left soon lol (besides maybe gt and ff, both which seem kinda trending down). it seems to be doing well in america too judging by youtube circles. but we'll see about that i guess in npd.

anyways, i didn't know RE still had this much punch. hell it might be like the only worldwide popular japanese franchise left soon lol (besides maybe gt and ff, both which seem kinda trending down). it seems to be doing well in america too judging by youtube circles. but we'll see about that i guess in npd.

I take it you're ignoring Nintendo again.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
well, 360 did much better, what like 3x plus better hardware wise, than xbox in japan. what if the next console does 3x 360 again? that's still only 4.5m, but you're getting somewhere.

I think you are into sometning. 4500k 450k should be a lock for next xbox.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.

Last gen Microsoft launched first and enticed some Japanese developers early. That was also when Nintendo was at a very low point. That isn't happening again, even if they tried.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I am really curious to see what MS does next gen in Japan. I don't see them outright not selling it, but they certainly aren't going to make LO or Blue Dragon again.

Fularu

Banned
Looking it up more, it seems more than half those units were sold through Sony themselves so they wouldn't count on those charts.

They were sold online and it took weeks for them to be delivered. Saying they were sold within the first 48 hours was a PR move by Sony to crush Sega's Dreamcast in Japan (and got the hype rolling worldwide, you had to witness the craze around PS2's release, even though most games within the first 4-5 months were just awfull)

Wow at Resi6, did not see that happening... played it and immediately became even more grateful for "Revelations"

3DS showing it's dominance, with new bundles coming + Holidays I see sub 5K numbers coming for the Vita.

Last gen Microsoft launched first and enticed some Japanese developers early. That was also when Nintendo was at a very low point. That isn't happening again, even if they tried.

and this gen they moneyballed some high profile jrpg's early, which they may not do next gen.

like i said though, the japanese console market is already somewhat irrelevant worldwide though.

what could help microsoft is if their next console dominates usa and eu so much it becomes pretty much the dominant player, and the only real console choice (feel this could happen if the durango hardware is right). in that case japan might be forced to go along to some extent. that's the way i could see my 4.5m number happening. which would still be a failure by normal japanese console standards of course.

japan ltd numbers in this next gen scenario might look, just pulling out of my ass:

wii u 9m
ps4 4.5m
360 4.5m

durango dominates worldwide, japan takes ball and goes home (flees console market even further, almost completely)

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Near as I can tell, people who don't like RE6 go "I didn't like this game, here's why."

While the people that do like RE6 are going "THIS IS WAR, BURN THE UNBELIEVERS"

You're ignoring the litany of reasons fans of RE6 list in their defense of the game, chief among which is the deep and complex combat system.

disco

The 3DS can only keep climbing until Monster Hunter 4.

The Vita I think may continue to fall but will probably start to climb up around mid November when the holidays push sales.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
what could help microsoft is if their next console dominates usa and eu so much it becomes pretty much the dominant player, and the only real console choice (feel this could happen if the durango hardware is right). in that case japan might be forced to go along to some extent. that's the way i could see my 4.5m number happening. which would still be a failure by normal japanese console standards of course.

japan ltd numbers in this next gen scenario might look, just pulling out of my ass:

wii u 9m
ps4 4.5m
360 4.5m

durango dominates worldwide, japan takes ball and goes home (flees console market even further, almost completely)

Seriously, stop predicting.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
and this gen they moneyballed some high profile jrpg's early, which they may not do next gen.

like i said though, the japanese console market is already somewhat irrelevant worldwide though.

wii u 9m
ps4 4.5m
360 4.5m

I've never seen a nickname as appropriate as yours. XD

I think Microsoft has a good chance to improve their sales in Japan, if Sony and Nintendo go 3rd party and Microsoft sells a Durango to every person in Europe and the US.

Dragon

Banned
You're ignoring the litany of reasons fans of RE6 list in their defense of the game, chief among which is the deep and complex combat system.

You call with a deep and complex combat system, I raise with horrible controls that haven't been fixed with six mainline games.

Seriously, stop predicting.

Why? Isn't that part of what this thread is about? The arrogance of some of you people is astonishing.

muu

People continue to say this and I fail to see why. Just looking at the numbers seem to indicate a much healthier market: 500k+ first weeks still happen with a fair amount of regularity in Japan, whereas US NPD results point us to monthly, console/handheld/PC totals that come up to 200-300K. Considering year-end boosts happen in Japan as well I'm not sure there's much of an argument in stating Nov/December is the only months that matter, either.

Dragon

Banned
There's a difference between predicting and pulling shit out of the air.

As far as predicting next gen we're all pulling shit out of the air. Of course it's a crazy prediction but so was people predicting the Wii to destroy the PS3 initially. Then the people who predicted the PS3 to turn it around were mocked and so forth. I don't agree with the dude but it doesn't foster discussion when you just stick your nose in the air and walk off in a huff.

And then Xbox 1440 does 3x Xbox 720, that's 13.5 million. Not PS2/PSP level, but what if Xbox 2880 does 3x Xbox 1440? 40.5 million. DS days as JP's top selling game console/handheld are numbered.

GAS

Neo Member
Is this the first time the 360 outsold the Wii?

Also; holy shit, what an RE6 opening.

It's not true.

Wii - 16.973
360 - 25.334

Week n° 7 of 2009 (2/16/09 to 2/22/09)

mc-1-total-weekly-pie-117.png

DATI SOFTWARE (top ten)
1 (360) Star Ocean 4: The Last Hope (Square Enix) 162,232 / (Nuovo)
2 (NDS) Mario & Luigi RPG 3 (Nintendo) 61,781 / 255,000
3 (PSP) Idolmaster SP: Perfect Sun (Namco Bandai) 46,474 / (Nuovo)
4 (PSP) Idolmaster SP: Missing Moon (Namco Bandai) 39,523 / (Nuovo)
5 (PSP) Idolmaster SP: Wandering Star (Namco Bandai) 35,376 / (Nuovo)
6 (NDS) Shining Force Feather (SEGA) 30,581 / (Nuovo)
7 (PSP) Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G (PSP the Best) (Capcom) 17,775 / 435,000
8 (PS2) Sacred Blaze (Flight Plan) 17,586 / (Nuovo)
9 (PS3) Street Fighter IV (Capcom) 17,416 / 103,000
10 (PS3) Demon's Souls (SCE) 15,581 / 78,000

DATI HARDWARE
Console- Questa7|.Scorsa7|Tot.2009.|.Totale
1. NDS - 51,814 | 68,293 | 731,816 | 25,851,459
2. PSP - 29,552 | 34,256 | 441,334 | 11,805,353
3. 360 - 25,334 | .9,833 | .99,072 | ...929,612
4. WII - 16,973 | 21,016 | 301,990 | .7,780,891
5. PS3 - 16,149 | 18,656 | 195,488 | .2,817,916
6. PS2 - .5,029 | .5,332 | .50,797 | 21,450,321

saichi

Why? Isn't that part of what this thread is about? The arrogance of some of you people is astonishing.

if the person gives good reasoning.

What he was saying is like I'm predicting RE6 is gonna sell 2 million units in Japan with re-release and re-re-release because it opens 2x of RE5's first week and RE5 is a little over (or under) 1 million in Japan with all the releases.

On a side note, just saw Famitsu score for Fable: the Journey and it's 8/8/8/8. OK I'm fully convinced now Famitsu reviews are bought. :O

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
You call with a deep and complex combat system, I raise with horrible controls that haven't been fixed with six mainline games.

Shows how much you know, the controls are completely different. Tank controls are gone and the melee/shooting/traversal system is all new.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
As far as predicting next gen we're all pulling shit out of the air. Of course it's a crazy prediction but so was people predicting the Wii to destroy the PS3 initially. Then the people who predicted the PS3 to turn it around were mocked and so forth. I don't agree with the dude but it doesn't foster discussion when you just stick your nose in the air and walk off in a huff.
I'm sorry, what's the turn around of the PS3 that was so true? It is still a failure and financial disaster, it's still millions of hardware and software behind the leader, and it's still fighting for second place worldwide.

It's selling better, because the price has been slashed to more than half of it's initial price (more than the GCN ever was). You can buy a new PS3 with a game for $250 today and it launched at $500-$600 without games included.

Also, there were A LOT of people predicting the doom of the PS3 after the price announcement, because, you know... common sense...

And yes, at this point, there is no way that the next Xbox outsells the 360 in Japan, and unless some really big megaton happen, it will keep that way...

RE6 came out with a demo of all 3 campaigns, so its not like people were fooled into buying it

also, some reviews gave strong scores so why should the lowest ones be taken any more seriously than the higher ones.

no need to be hating - borderlands 2, xcom, dishonored - great time for gaming

It was an online store. Sony didn't even have so much in stock.

http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/pdf/000306.pdf

edit: too late.

They did it to cut out the retailer profit. They knew it would sell out so they made a shit ton extra by selling it themselves at launch.

I am really curious to see what MS does next gen in Japan. I don't see them outright not selling it, but they certainly aren't going to make LO or Blue Dragon again.

Personally I think they should totally ignore Japan and spend that money instead on Europe.

They were sold online and it took weeks for them to be delivered. Saying they were sold within the first 48 hours was a PR move by Sony to crush Sega's Dreamcast in Japan (and got the hype rolling worldwide, you had to witness the craze around PS2's release, even though most games within the first 4-5 months were just awfull)

Yeah, the launch titles for PS2 were pretty much garbage with only Ridge Racer 5 being decent quality. Not only that, launch units lacked a HDD bay... but they did come with memory cards packed in.

boingball

Wow, PS3 selling almost 10 times the amount of the Wii (and even the 360 is selling more, RE6 thank you). On the other hand, 3DS selling almost 10 times the amount of the Vita. The PS3 bump is temporarily, the Vita downfall permanent I fear.

Top Bottom