• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Downloaded game from PSN. Excited to play. Patch detected.

So I downloaded Sideways: New York (via PS Plus) from PSN last night and I was excited to play it today after work but after I launched the game, a mandatory patch/update was detected and it was 700+ MB. Pissed off, I decided not to play.

And this also happened with games I actually bought. Scott Pilgrim I think, when I bought earlier this year, had a patch after I downloaded it.

Why doesn't Sony just replace the versions of games on PSN with the most updated versions when a patch is released? This way, those who purchase the games will be able to download the latest versions and won't have to patch the games before being able to play.

Edit: Yeah, I know about hitting circle and continuing to play.

Still, these games aren't being patched for nothing. Bugs are fixed, stability improved, etc. so it would be nice to buy the most updated version of a game.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Hit circle, cancel. Play game.

Yup, unless the game needs to be online, or even for a PS3 firmware you don't mind not being online to play the game you can just update stuff later.
People make way too big a deal out of something you don't actually have to do at the time most of the time, lol.

jet1911

I bought a PS3 last week and every game I played required a patch before I could play. Even the digital version of Infamous 2. It dies get annoying.

Yeah, I know about hitting circle and continuing to play.

Still, these games aren't being patched for nothing. Bugs are fixed, stability improved, etc. so it would be nice to buy the most updated version of a game.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Hit circle, cancel. Play game.

And we're done here. This should've been the first post.

OP said:

Then update. You have to do the same shit with XBLA titles that you buy later on if they have title updates. The only difference there is their patch size/download speed is smaller/faster than PSN but that's a PSN/Sony issue and not a game issue.

Mikor

Needless drama thread.

Well, it was a very indirect way of saying Sony should be providing up-to-date versions of thier titles when you initially download them. I agree. Having to patch immediately after finishing the download/install is a waste of the player's time, and a waste of Sony's bandwidth. Doesn't make much sense from that perspective.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
so it would be nice to buy the most updated version of a game.

I'm guessing that would require more testing and certification, separate from patches themselves. Sony could change the was it is done one assumes.

dsigns1

Sometimes the patches are in the 20 mb range. If Sony replaced the whole versions then you would have to redownload the whole game each time a small patch came out.

DBT85

Which is why I welcome PS+ so very much! Automatic patch download is a blessing.

I too like that aspect of PS+. However that doesn't detract from the fact that you download a new game from the server and it immediately needs a patch. Even worse if it needs several which are game fixing patches.

Is GT5 available on PSN?

Skilletor

Well, it was a very indirect way of saying Sony should be providing up-to-date versions of thier titles when you initially download them. I agree. Having to patch immediately after finishing the download/install is a waste of the player's time, and a waste of Sony's bandwidth. Doesn't make much sense from that perspective.

Does XBL do this? I think I can recall needing to update a game I just downloaded.

LuchaShaq

Banned
This nonsense is one of the 2 biggest reasons I buy/play 99% of multiplatform games on 360/PC.

When there is a patch/update it will take less than a minute on 360/steam and can randomly take over an hour on psn even with a small file size.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
They probably don't replace the old versions with newer versions due to certification issues. Stupid, I know, but that's probably the reason.

amar212

Is GT5 available on PSN?

With 19 patches and total size of +10GB, you don't want to download that car.

Opt for GT5 Academy Edition (PAL only) which nets you 2.07 on disc and only one mandatory update or GT5XL Edition (US NTSC) with 2.0 on disc and 7 updates to endure.

Also notice you will get additional performance boost (loading, etc) if you opt to install game from disc upon booting. It will bless you with additional 40 minutes of your life to to something smarter than playing video-games.

Enjoy.

Prezhulio

it is dumb that they aren't the most current version of the game on the store (especially given ps3's update structure, albeit alievated by ps+ overnight patching, but still if i want to play with online right then that's not much help). even if it's a limitation by cert for what's listed on the store, there should be a relatively simple workaround that downloads patches as seperate files that can be queued (since ps+ is obviously capable of doing this in the background of sorts)

when i downloaded littlebigplanet 2 i think the patches it needed were almost 2 gigs, ridiculous. that reminds me i need to throw mgs4 in and set the autoupdate to on for that so it can dl the trophy patch o/n for me.

sony has so many minor things they should have learned this generation in regards to DD and how they made the whole experience really cumbersome. i really hope they take them to heart for next gen.

Carl

If they were to put up the most recent version the game would have to go through QA and testing etc again, which takes a lot of time and (i imagine) costs lots of money.

LiK

yea, it's weird. if you decide to delete the game for space and grab it again later, gotta go through this process again.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Yeah, I know about hitting circle and continuing to play.

You sound like one of my old friends, I think he just enjoyed complaining.

Sure, it would be nice if everything is updated and we didn't have to download some of these big patches, but at the end of the day it isn't like that and the forum has had this discussion like a million times at this point.

You could play the game unpatched but you want the patch but don't have the time or bandwidth so you could cancel and just play it but you don't want to because you want the patch.
It is an endless circle of you standing in the way of you playing the game you were apparently excited for but instead of just patching later and playing now you had a hissy.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
ITT No one will answer the valid question in the middle of OP

Prezhulio

If they were to put up the most recent version the game would have to go through QA and testing etc again, which takes a lot of time and (i imagine) costs lots of money.

patches already go through QA and cert, no?

see: every dev complaining about cost to certify patches (thanks sony, EA, and double fine for making an unfinishable version of brutal legend)

Some games already come patched, I downloaded KoF XIII last week and the downloaded version was 1.02.

I have Sideways and I stopped playing due to massive slowdown issues, so hopefully that patch fixes it.

Some games already come patched, I downloaded KoF XIII last week and the downloaded version was 1.02.

I have Sideways and I stopped playing due to massive slowdown issues, so hopefully that patch fixes it.

Well at least some games are updated. Also, thanks for the heads up on Sideway's slowdown issues.

TheMan

borrowed a ps3 from a friend last summer and I agree, the patching process is ridiculous and annoying as fuck. one of the things I hope sony fixes with their new system next year.

When there is a patch/update it will take less than a minute on 360/steam and can randomly take over an hour on psn even with a small file size.
I'll never understand these speed complaints. I don't get 7mb/s with PSN like I do with Steam, but it's still pretty fast. I was playing Tokyo Jungle (~2.5gb) within 30 minutes of starting the download.

As for OP, I'm sorry... that you were excited to play Sideways NY.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Wondered this a couple of times already.... Why are patches for PS3 often THAT huge? I've never had to download a 360 patch longer than 30 seconds. For PS3 it's always like 4 times 200 MB if you've haven't played a game for some time.

I swear to god when I bought Little Big Planet (long after release) I had to download patches for like 30 minutes or longer. I mean, what the hell is this for?

Which is why I welcome PS+ so very much! Automatic patch download is a blessing.

mine doesn't always patch all the games i have installed. it probably goes through each and checks, but if there's a server timeout while it's going through the list it skips over those games.

seriously. i start up some of my games and they aren't patched despite just seeing my Automatic Download message come up during startup saying it did things overnight.

Sony needs to have these patches applied to the games on the servers themselves so when we download a game we know it's already got the current patches. (within a reasonable time frame. we can't expect them to instantly apply a patch that came out within a few days, especially when some patches apparently break games and need followup patches...)

ITT No one will answer the valid question in the middle of OP

This?

Why doesn't Sony just replace the versions of games on PSN with the most updated versions when a patch is released? This way, those who purchase the games will be able to download the latest versions and won't have to patch the games before being able to play.

Because Grace Chen may break the link.

That and I believe that it's easier for the game to pick up that it needs patching (some games use their own method of patching and may or may not be compatible if store updates the file all-together). Patch is universal to the game, while the stores are not. PSN Store in EU might not have the patch added while PSN Store in US might, etc etc.

TL;DR: Grace Chen.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I'll never understand these speed complaints. I don't get 7mb/s with PSN like I do with Steam, but it's still pretty fast. I was playing Tokyo Jungle (~2.5gb) within 30 minutes of starting the download.
It has to do with your peering and whether or not the ps3 is connected via wifi / ethernet and what model it is.

It's fucked up. I also get full speed from my connection but there are people that are in unfortunate (for PSN) locations.

Wondered this a couple of times already.... Why are patches for PS3 often THAT huge? I've never had to download a 360 patch longer than 30 seconds. For PS3 it's always like 4 times 200 MB if you've haven't played a game for some time.

I swear to god when I bought Little Big Planet (long after release) I had to download patches for like 30 minutes or longer. I mean, what the hell is this for?

In LBP's case you were downloading assets for things they added to the game, such as water.

Hari Seldon

As for OP, I'm sorry... that you were excited to play Sideways NY.

They are true. PSN is often extraordinarily shitty. I don't know why. All I know is, I barely turn on my consoles anymore because this patch shit just puts me into a rage. The console experience these days just fucking blows.

Top Bottom