• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Screenshots from the standalone version of DayZ

http://dayzdev.tumblr.com/post/33639244299/interior-work-in-progress-screenshots-taken-from

Please note these are work-in-progress shots, with only basic texture work and initial lighting passes. I picked a random town in the game and took screenshots of a few of the houses. The screenshots are taken on “Normal” graphic settings (medium texture resolution) and are unaltered and uncropped.

Our artists have been very busy, methodically going through all buildings in Chernarus and adding interiors. The task can be pretty difficult, when the buildings where made interiors were not considered so it an be a challenge for the artists to make the interiors both look correct and work properly.

The village I used to take the screenshot in now has all its buildings enterable, including the sheds. Most focus has so far been on the buildings that are situated outside of the center, but focus now is turning to doing interiors for the city buildings. This is complicated by our desire to dramatically increase performance, and given the scene complexity inside cities we need to balance this with the desire to increase building scavenging opportunities inside the cities.

This was really just a very quick drop of a few screenshots, I’ll try to put forward some more screenshots of our artists work in the next few weeks.

tumblr_mbxt4qQVAM1rd90z0o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mbxt4qQVAM1rd90z0o2_1280.jpg

tumblr_mbxt4qQVAM1rd90z0o3_1280.jpg

tumblr_mbxt4qQVAM1rd90z0o8_1280.jpg

More at the link.

Developers from both DayZ and WarZ playing catchup to top each other's announcement/release. Not sure if I like that, but competition is good for all, I suppose!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Something seems "off" with the lighting?

DTKT

Man, I wish they would have made the switch to the ARMA III engine. This looks fine, but really similar to the current version of DayZ.

legacyzero

Banned
Looks fantastic. Perhaps TOO fantastic.

They need to bloody it up some. Make it LOOK like a zombie outbreak has occurred.

Stat!

I'm kind of interested in DayZ - I love that massive world to explore and discover. But I keep hearing about hackers, and to be honest, I like the idea of it being a massive survival world but other players can't kill other players.

And while I know that is a huge draw of the game, I prefer co-op and not losing my stuff because some guy out of my range had a sniper.

World War Z had me interested but I don't know if I have a good enough computer to run it and the fact that just because I have a private server, I won't get the "good" loot stuff (said in a recent interview), it kinda left me down in terms of trying these games.

I'll be interested to see if DayZ can improve in areas in the standalone version.

Varna

They need to bloody it up some. Make it LOOK like a zombie outbreak has occurred.

This is true... I don't care too much though. This is suppose to be an alpha right? The only thing I want is for the zombies to actually look and move like zombies... no more flash zombies.

jett

D-Member
I feel sorry for these guys, the WarZ dev stole their idea and thunder pretty much, now they are forced to show these crappy early screens.

antitrop

My 10 hours or so of DayZ were spent fighting with the game systems. Then falling 2 feet off a stone walkway and breaking both my legs and crawling around in the forest until I died.

So I said fuck this game and I haven't played it since.

DayZ is janky as fuck, straight up.

Hoo-doo

Banned
My 10 hours or so of DayZ were spent fighting with the game systems. Then falling 2 feet off a stone walkway and breaking both my legs and crawling around in the forest until I died.

My first 2 hours were about the same as yours, but then I played with a friend with Skype and it turned into absolute magic.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Haven't played the mod but wish they would move over to the ARMA III engine. Glad I waited for the standalone version instead of buying Arma II at 40% off during the summer sale.

Oreoleo

I feel sorry for these guys, the WarZ dev stole their idea and thunder pretty much, now they are forced to show these crappy early screens.

Idk dude, seems the more people find about WarZ the less people actually want to play it.

Screens look pretty good. Still kinda down on Chernarus+ though.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!

Janky sure, but 10 hours spent fighting the game? Come on now, part of that is on you. Took me and everyone else I was playing with a couple of hours at most.

Will the mod version of DayZ still work on it's own, or are we going to have to purchase the stand alone version if we want to keep playing?

Wonder if the system requirements will be the same. It'd be great if there were some optimizations done so it wasn't was demanding.

KissVibes

Banned

So you walked into a hardcore Zombie mod built for a military sim are are mad that it had sim tendencies?

Well, you have fun with The War Z, I guess.

Midou

Janky sure, but 10 hours spent fighting the game? Come on now, part of that is on you. Took me and everyone else I was playing with a couple of hours at most.

Yes, and while there are instances where you will die at random, like he falls while climbing a ladder or something, it's early game and it's not so common. I looked up a couple of quick videos on how to start playing before I got into it, and I guess it went a long way. I would love the equipment system and such to be more accessible and easy to operate, but the core gameplay is awesome and unlike anything else.

Valnen

Still regretting my Arma 2 purchase.

If after 2 hours you still can't get something to work quite right, it's not a good mod. Simple as that.

Piggus

This. The wallpaper in that house is peeling off, there's dirt all over, and the walls are cracking and yet there is a perfectly placed, perfectly clean table cloth there. Those little details really add up.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
DayZ team doesn't need to feel threatened at all by War Z. No need for these early shots. The only game that could even be considered competition is ZombiU and that is a completely different type of Zombie survival game that suits two different kinds of play. I'm buying both.

I just hope that they take their time with this. No need to rush it in the face of competition. The superior game will always win out eventually.

Atomski

If after 2 hours you still can't get something to work quite right, it's not a good mod. Simple as that.

Its a mod that was in alpha.. and honestly it is not that hard to run if you can read and follow directions.

Anyways pretty hyped. I really enjoyed my time with Dayz. The only thing that ruined it for me was the hackers. If standalone fixes that I will be happy.

Valnen

Its a mod that was in alpha.. and honestly it is not that hard to run if you can read and follow directions.

IDK. Was trying to play with a friend. We joined this one server that wouldn't let us move or anything. Odd. Tried another server. Perpetual loading screen that just froze the game. Tried another. Same thing. After about 2 hours of trying and not finding a server that just works...well fuck that.

Dayz Commander.

My time playing Dayz has finally started to slow down after ~90hours in the past 3 months. I have had a great time despite a number of frustrating deaths(Hackers). Can't imagine the time I will put into the standalone if the current issues are ironed out.

EDIT: Posted just after you, seems you have different issues. FYI, I solved most my loading screen freezes by always waiting for the BattleEye initializing messages to come and go before pressing OK. Some can be instant, some can take 10 seconds or so.

Top Bottom