• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recommend me cult/obscure PS2 games

Rygar !

Rygar.boxart.jpg

Because it's an underrated action game that needs more love.

eXistor

I'm sure it's been mentioned, but Michigan: Report from Hell is amazing from the looks of it. Still trying to find it myself, it's only been released in Europe and Japan.

Rapstah

I'm sure it's been mentioned, but Michigan: Report from Hell is amazing from the looks of it. Still trying to find it myself, it's only been released in Europe and Japan.

Every tenth voice clip in the seres of terrible voice acting on Youtube is from that game.

Balphon

Is Shadow Hearts: From the New World recommendable? I've never played a SH game and I have that.

It more or less retains Covenant's battle system, but adds a few extra elements that I thought introduced some interesting nuance to the combat. Story-wise, it maintains the dark-but-humorous tone of the other two SH games, and probably has the most ridiculous cast of playable characters of any of them, which is saying quite a bit. The plot references events in Covenant but is otherwise pretty much entirely disconnected from the other games. I'm rather fond of FtNW, but I have a soft spot for the SH games and their particular brand of absurdism. Basically, it's worth playing if you really liked Covenant, but doesn't do much that Covenant didn't do at least as well if not better.

eXistor

It really isn't.

I dunno, I know the controls are supposedly terrible and it looks like shit, but it's the definition of a cult game. It's got a great concept and some weird-ass shit going on. Sometimes that's enough for a certain group of people. I count myself amongst them, it may be a trainwreck, but it's always interesting to look at. I might be wrong about this one of course, I haven't even played it, but I sure do wanna give it a go someday.

random scene:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uCvZMen5Ww

Gomu Gomu

Even if they were already posted im going to post my list anyway
2a6cb340dca0e948a4313010.L.jpg
Oooooh maaaan. I've been thinking about that game sometime ago. I wanted to see youtube videos of it, but couldn't, for the life of me, remember it's name. I guess it's off to youtube for me now.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Man this thread has made me realize that the PS2 classics section on the PSN store fucking sucks, there's like 30 games there and only a handful that are interesting. Maybe i should buy a PS2 after all...

ferr

Oh I hated Shadow of Destiny, the characters were so flat.

I was going to mention this pretty obscure PS2 game, but for the life of me I can't remember it's name. It's that obscure. It was a mix between an RPG and card game where you had to collect cards that were used as spells in battles. hrm

Sadly I missed out on most of the PS2 library as during its heyday I was a PC and gamecube gamer. So many original and mindfuck PS2 games.

Forkball

This thread really shows that obscure/middle tier games are more or less died out. It seems to be big budget franchises or you got digital downloads for cheap.

For strategy RPGs, I recommend Phantom Brave and Makai Kingdom. They are developed by Nippon Ichi, known for Disgaea. While Disgaea became their flagship series and let towards almost annual SRPGs, PB and MK are woefully underlooked. Phantom Brave has an interesting story, insane customization, and a really unique battle system that really makes you think about every turn. Makai Kingdom has great classes, and a cool vehicle/building system that sets it apart.

The Mark of Kri also had a sequel, Rise of the Kasai. The battle system is really love/hate though.

Yuterald

Holy shit, this is like my favorite kind of thread. I think PS2 is my all time favorite system. People here posted SOOOOO many good games! I know a lot of the following games have already been mentioned, but I'll second/third/fourth them because they are some of my personal favorites too.

Obscure/Underrated/Underplayed PS2 RPGs:

431703_19988_thumb.jpg
533276_6062_thumb.jpg
472311_21754_thumb.jpg
466244_26255_thumb.jpg

561476_52989_thumb.jpg
197244_50262_thumb.jpg
197239_42095_thumb.jpg
471668_50836_thumb.jpg

King's Field: the Ancient City
Shadow Tower Abyss (Import)
Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land
Tsugunai: Atonement
Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter
Evergrace
Eternal Ring
Forever Kingdom

Obscure/Underrated/Underplayed PS2 Alternatives:

918839_57019_thumb.jpg
552265_44790_thumb.jpg
914436_51770_thumb.jpg
471626_44183_thumb.jpg

919760_36721_thumb.jpg
560778_44921_thumb.jpg
924655_59069_thumb.jpg
928477_67560_thumb.jpg

Bujingai: The Forsaken City
Galerians: ASH
Sub Rebellion
SkyGunner
Shadow of Rome
Gungrave
Haunting Ground
Trapt

I could list SO many more, but I'll keep it at 8 games between my two "groupings"...and yes, OP, all of the games you listed (other than Obscure, lol!) are worth playing. Disaster Report/Raw Danger are some of my favorite games on the PS2 as well.

This thread really shows that obscure/middle tier games are more or less died out. It seems to be big budget franchises or you got digital downloads for cheap.

So they didn't die out, they migrated to downloadable platforms. A part of them, that is, the other part accounts for all of those B games that were coming from Japan. Most of those games are not on home consoles anymore, they're on handhelds because that's where the bulk of the Japanese audience is these days.

That said, this generation has still seen a fair amount of B games/future cult classics.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
These were two of my favorite PS2 games that I would consider cult games. Maybe not as obsure:
The_Suffering_coverart.jpg

The_Suffering_-_Ties_That_Bind_Coverart.jpg

First one was great but the sequel was so boring... Putting guys enemies with guns in a horror game first happened here.

Not sure if obscure but:

256px-UrbanChaosRiotResponse_ps2.jpg

Ah from Rocksteady, the guys who would come out of nowhere with Arkham Asylum. I actually have this game on XBox.

Never released in North America.

join the Earth Defense Force !

256px-Global_Defence_Force_PS2_Cover.jpg

Never released in North America.

Never released in North America!

Annoying, irritatingly never released in North America.

Seriously, fuck North America release policies. Also, Tokyo Jungle, Siren: New Translation, Fatal Frame 4, and Aquanaut's Holiday.

Myriadis

I think Wild Arms 3 is really not that known, at least here. Shame, because I think that it is a great RPG with some of the best dungeons I've ever seen in RPGs.
Man, I love some obscure underrated games. They feel so unique to me.

252px-Blood_will_tell.jpg

Blood Will Tell: Tezuka Osamu's Dororo, is a PlayStation 2 game released by Sega. It is based on the Japanese manga series Dororo, which was created by Osamu Tezuka. It concerns a hero named Hyakkimaru, who has had much of his body stolen by forty-eight fiends, and has prosthetic replacements. Along with his ally, the thief Dororo, Hyakkimaru must defeat all forty-eight fiends.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gX_qh4prdY

Pretty cool game, it starts out black and white until you get your eye back from the first boss.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Ha I was just thinking about this game the other day having forgotten the name

I have the JP version of this. I didnt even know it came out in the US till I reversed the wikipedia pages from JP to ENG lol

Oh I hated Shadow of Destiny, the characters were so flat.

I was going to mention this pretty obscure PS2 game, but for the life of me I can't remember it's name. It's that obscure. It was a mix between an RPG and card game where you had to collect cards that were used as spells in battles. hrm

Culdcept?

flattie

I post this in every PS2 thread. Wish someone else would admit to at least owning it.

Jade Coccoon 2. Kinda like Pokemon, random battles, you build up a 'team' of monsters. The really interesting part is the battles. There's a four sided wheel, that you spin during battle to select the monsters to use. The wheel has 4 elements, the monsters have strengths in 1 element, and limited strength in another. 3 monsters are usable, the center monster is only available in that element. The other 2 are available in a second element.

I'm horrible at describing it, you should really check it out. Awesome game.

My younger brother had the original on the first PlayStation. I quite enjoyed dipping in to it if truth be told. I think it was around that time I was discovering JRPGs with FF7. Loved them for a time, but FF10 killed that genre for me and I haven't been able to touch any since.

I've seen a lot of God Hand posts, but I didn't post it because I don't consider it to be an obscure PS2 title, just one of the best games of all-time. By all means play it though if you haven't.

kingkaiser

I absolutely hated it, and I was a huge fan of the first game. It's not a good game.

Well, "Drakan: Ancients Gates" is more of a western style action RPG (the best one beside Summoner 2 on the PS2 in my opinion) whereas the predecessor and PC exclusive "The Order of the Flame" is a true action-adventure game.

I agree that the combat was better in "Order of the Flame", but Ancients Gates addresses every other strength of its predecessor and improves on it. The "light" RPG Part was real fun and the possibility to specialize in melee or magic actually very good implemented.

The only real major flaw of the game was the terrible game-breaking bugs. It was almost like in a Bethesda game, where it's either you learn to save often and on different slots or the bugs are going to screw you real hard...

ferr

I have the JP version of this. I didnt even know it came out in the US till I reversed the wikipedia pages from JP to ENG lol

Culdcept?

Nope, it was less card-oriented in battle iirc. Pretty sure you played as a young blonde female. This is going to haunt me, might go through gamerankings list of PS2 games until I find it.

edit: on second thought, 95% chance it was actually the GC game Lost Kingdoms http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/ab/Lost_Kingdoms.jpg ooops

Dark Cloud and Dark Chronicle.

Or are they not obscure enough?

Dark Cloud died off into obscurity, pretty sure that would belong here.

edit: ohmygosh i just found jtinder while searching http://www.gamerankings.com/ps2/933137-buzz-the-sports-quiz/index.html

bjork

Don't fit in with your genre choices, but:

- Another vote for Kya: Dark Lineage. It's just a simple 3D adventure but it's got cool atmosphere and it's fun.

- Dog's Life, because it's the most fun I had on PS2. Plus you can poop on command, and the poop has its own physics.

Both great choices, especially Wizardry.

From made this? Tell me more.

Set in the Heian period of Japan. Three characters. Two are twins and you have to go searching for one. You can pick which character to start with but it seems the best to play in order. The other character is the assistant of a renowned exorcist who went missing. It's a fucking eerie, creepy game. Fatal Frame like clunkiness. I never finished it, but the time period and themes are really interesting.

I may have missed some details. I believe there is magic in the game to an extent. Demonic entities. You really have to check it out.

Top Bottom