• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deathblow! Silicon Knights ordered to destroy all software with unreal code.

Xenon

Page 41 of the document found here.

58nsk.jpg

Game over man! Game over =(

I suggest everyone get Too Human while you have the chance! It's going to be a piece of video game history.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I bought Too Human on clearance for a tenner at Target and still returned it. I don't think I'm missing much.

Eusis

Man, I wish these sorts of decisions were about SURRENDERING the code rather than DESTROYING it. Hate the idea of destroying this stuff over a legal battle.

... Of course there's still the problem that they probably not really WORTH getting.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The ultimate backfire. Dyack ruining SK purely by his own hubris is impressive in its own right. At least the undoing of 38 Studios was by Schilling's sheer ignorance of the industry.

Xenon

Man, I wish these sorts of decisions were about SURRENDERING the code rather than DESTROYING it. Hate the idea of destroying this stuff over a legal battle.

... Of course there's still the problem that they probably not really WORTH getting.

It would be better if they had to turn the property over to Epic.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Holy shit, destroying the code?

I don't really like the sound of this. Too Human wasn't a great game by any stretch but it gave me some weird form of enjoyment. So, was it true that Too Human's game code was essentially all re-written unreal stuff? Seems awfully overkill to make them delete the game code otherwise.

Lime

Oh man, the ebay prices for Too Human will get jacked up! Talk about a rare collector's item...

Eusis

It would be better if they had to turn the property over to Epic.
Yeah. They'd probably sit on them (well, I guess if Activision cared they could call up for the X-men game), but at least it exists and could be exhumed at a later date.
That would require demand
You'll probably be finding copies in GameStop when they're doing buy two get two deals on 360 software 8 years from now.

Pooya

SK is going to get into further trouble because of this with publishers of XMEN and Too Human, it's not like the developer can return and destroy the game. I wonder what will happen. Bankruptcy seems imminent.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So, who pays to recall XMen Destiny? SK, or Activision?

The publisher, I'd imagine, seeing as it's the party responsible for pressing the discs and shipping them to stores. Acti could attempt to pass that cost on to SK, but the company has been surviving on contract to contract, so this would surely be a fruitless endeavour.

ezekial45

Banned
I'd better find a copy of Too Human while I can. I just have to have it.

But really, this is a shitty situation - having to destroy all your work like this. Not that they didn't deserve, but still.

Eusis

Yeah, wouldn't be publishers the ones that would be required to do this? They are the ones that sell those copies to retailers in the first place.
Wonder if it's possible for them to negotiate a deal to skip this crap. Or the plan is to bill SK for it, whatever.

Top Bottom