• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deathblow! Silicon Knights ordered to destroy all software with unreal code.

The problem is that getting rid of Dyack would be getting rid of one-fifth of the current SK staff. They're circling the drain, and nothing can stop it.

True. But Nintendo could just keep the company around and restaff it completely like they did with NdCube. Though Nintendo would have to buy out all the shares.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
when the mayans said humanity would be killed on Dec 21st, they surely meant "Too Humanity"

huah huah.

Gameboy415

I loved Silicon Knights back in the Gamecube days (Eternal Darkness & MGS: Twin Snakes were fantastic!) so it's a little sad to see them go out this way.

I don't really care about the resale value (I doubt there will be any) but I've decided to snap up copies of X-Men Destiny & Too Human while I still can.
I grabbed a PS3 copy of X-Men for $18 from Amazon and I'm going to try to snag a pre-owned copy of Too Human @ Gamestop for $2.99 sometime this weekend.

PgKLQ.jpg

$5.99 for a new copy, not too shabby. Though I doubt I'll ever put any serious time into it. And frankly, I think this has all been a ploy to sell a bunch of copies of Too Human.

But seriously, I'm doubtful stores will clear out their clearance and destroy any remaining copies.

But you never know.

PgKLQ.jpg

$5.99 for a new copy, not too shabby. Though I doubt I'll ever put any serious time into it. And frankly, I think this has all been a ploy to sell a bunch of copies of Too Human.

But seriously, I'm doubtful stores will clear out their clearance and destroy any remaining copies.

But you never know.
heh. That's how much I bought it for a few months after release. There was a gem of a game in there, and much fun was had for the time.

Why the hell do they have to "destroy" the code? In what universe does that make sense?

Eusis

Is there any redeeming quality or reason to pick up X-Men: Destiny as well? I literally never heard of this game before today.
While it sounds like Too Human's OK, X-Men sounds like it was absolute trash. I'm going to ignore it.

And I MEANT to get a new copy at GameStop, even bringing the new case up, but I was given the pre-owned game anyway. Well whatever, it'll be a shame for anyone coming in trying to buy new but maybe the new copy will be bought back and destroyed instead, and the case was beat up as if it were a used game anyway.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Wait, so Silicon Knights sued Epic in the first place? How the fuck did shit back fire so bad they are now having to recall and destroy next to everything they've done in the past 10 years?

SK abandoned its UE3 license and then proceeded to use it as a foundation for its "proprietary" engine.

I guess I'll just ignore the Xmen game. While Too Human could at least be viewed as an oddity frozen in time, Xmen will likely be regarded as just another bad licensed game, and not even particularly noteworthy as a collectible.

Eusis

SK abandoned its UE3 license and then proceeded to use it as a foundation for its "proprietary" engine.
I do suspect they'd have fared better if they stuck with the engine even when suing. It seems like it's not an unusual practice to continue business arrangements amidst a lawsuit, plus in the case of failing would be far less destructive.
I guess I'll just ignore the Xmen game. While Too Human could at least be viewed as an oddity frozen in time, Xmen will likely be regarded as just another bad licensed game, and not even particularly noteworthy as a collectible.
For the record, the Metacritic results. Although being on Wii DOES make me wonder how well that came out visually if it's really on a derivative of the UE3 engine. I'm sort of curious to check that version out now.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
heh. That's how much I bought it for a few months after release. There was a gem of a game in there, and much fun was had for the time.

Why the hell do they have to "destroy" the code? In what universe does that make sense?

It's theoretically the same thing as destroying illegal printed copies of a book that infringe the author's copyright, or sticking a bunch of bootleg DVDs into a shredder.

If I remember correctly, wasn't this xmen game the one that started as a completely different game and then at the end they just reskinned the characters as xmen characters?

Eusis

It's theoretically the same thing as destroying illegal printed copies of a book that infringe the author's copyright, or sticking a bunch of bootleg DVDs into a shredder.
I think it's a little different simply because those are illicit full copies of a work, the creative work would still be out there. This is probably more akin to a movie that didn't bother sorting out the rights to use music but tried to mix it in a way it wouldn't be immediately be recognized, and copies with that music were ordered to be destroyed. And somehow it's too much of a pain to edit the music out so there won't be a version without that music.

Eusis

btw, who owns the Too Human IP? SK or Microsoft?
If SK does they probably won't when this is all over.

Then again people would probably want to buy the Eternal Darkness IP from Denis, not the Too Human one. And if he doesn't own that... well, I'm not sure what he has to offer anyone.

FyreWulff

btw, who owns the Too Human IP? SK or Microsoft?

I believe SK technically owns the IP but Microsoft has the publishing rights to it and to the next two sequels (that will never get made at this point). So you'd have to buy out their contract, which nobody is going to do. EA at least had an incentive to pay to get the ME1 publishing rights off MS.

Rubius

So, I ordered a new sealed copy of Too Human when the news came out.
Was happy. Now today, I get an email that my order was canceled because "The seller could not ship to my address".
I think "Oh well, will buy a another one they are all at .... WHAT"
The price went from 15$ new and sealed to 60$ new and sealed.
I had to buy a used one for 10$ with a "like new" to get the same price.

Seriously, the re sellers really really try to make a buck with this game. At least I will get my copy of X-Men.

NZNova

I feel bad for the people who used to work at SK, but it sure is hard to feel sorry for Dyack after he's shown himself to be a complete twat on numerous occasions.

Rubius

I feel bad for the people who used to work at SK, but it sure is hard to feel sorry for Dyack after he's shown himself to be a complete twat on numerous occasions.

Lets hope it wont affect the next game, which they said is the most asked game they have, which will be for the Wii U.
So Eternal Darkness 2 for the Wii U.

"In November 2011, Silicon Knights claimed they wanted to focus on one of their most requested titles for the next generation of consoles. This combined with the fact Nintendo had trademarked the title once again, spawned rumours that another Eternal Darkness game would be made as a launch title for the Wii U.[43]"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternal_Darkness:_Sanity's_Requiem

Lets hope it wont affect the next game, which they said is the most asked game they have, which will be for the Wii U.
So Eternal Darkness 2 for the Wii U.

"In November 2011, Silicon Knights claimed they wanted to focus on one of their most requested titles for the next generation of consoles. This combined with the fact Nintendo had trademarked the title once again, spawned rumours that another Eternal Darkness game would be made as a launch title for the Wii U.[43]"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternal_Darkness:_Sanity's_Requiem

Silicon Knights is done for, there is no next project.

Eusis

"Retro Studio presents : Eternal Darkness 2 "
If Sillicon Knights die, this need to happen.
Bonus if Nintendo can hire most of the old SK staff... though I guess it'd have to be a new Canada studio (unless the Punch-Out/Mario Strikers studio will branch out). I probably wouldn't be enthusiastic about moving to the US from Canada if I was in their shoes!

Nekofrog

Banned
Any news on that or is it simply speculation? Silicon Knights have Ontario giving them millions over millions, and so will the Quebec if they move here.

So sure, its a big blow, but they can still go over it.

They have 5 people on their staff.

They're done.

element

I believe SK technically owns the IP but Microsoft has the publishing rights to it and to the next two sequels (that will never get made at this point). So you'd have to buy out their contract, which nobody is going to do. EA at least had an incentive to pay to get the ME1 publishing rights off MS.
MS has first rights of refusal on sequels of Too Human. They passed on it, which allowed SK to take it to other publishers to pursue. No one wanted it.

Cheerilee

Any news on that or is it simply speculation?
Large Kotaku article.

http://kotaku.com/5955223/what-went-wrong-with-silicon-knights-x+men-destiny

TL:DR: SK is dead, and had less than five people left (including Dyack) before they were ordered to shred their games.

And the fan-favorite game was Eternal Darkness 2. Nintendo owns the rights, but SK was stealing development resources away from Xmen Destiny to make it anyways (if you build it, they will come), until Activision forced them get back to working on what they were getting paid to work on.

Silicon Knights have Ontario giving them millions over millions, and so will the Quebec if they move here.

So sure, its a big blow, but they can still go over it.
Ontario didn't give them money. They promised they would, but then they said the SK didn't meet the requirements, so they didn't.

http://www.vg247.com/2012/03/31/sil...-canadian-government-withholding-grant-money/

Eusis

... Ah hahahaha. To be honest, yeah, I can't blame Activision this time. You got paid to make a specific game, make that damn game.

Rubius

So, I have to start asking Nintendo for a Eternal Darkness 2? This will be kind of hard, since they are already asked for F-Zero, Star Fox and 100 other titles.
Dammit.

Stat!

I was so hyped for Too Human prior to the 360 launching. It (and Mass Effect) were planned trilogies at the time. I *knew* I would love Too Human. At it's initial E3, I defended SK as they were "forced" to bring an unfinished demo, but then it just didn't click.

Rubius

You will take fatal frame 5 and you will like it mister!

Eternal Darkness had the only Survival Horror gameplay I liked. I hated Resident Evil 0,1,2. Eternal Darkness is a diamond in a coal mine of games. Never tried Fatal Frame though. Hope its good.

Top Bottom