• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okay. What the f*ck is going on with Wii U hard locks.

Nyoro SF

Man, how many of the angry people in this thread have ever bought a console at launch before? I guess this is just telling of how much longer this past generation has dragged on, memories are short. I recall several issues back a few generations.Dreamcast launch was particularly gnarly (lots of game discs were duds)

Nintendo were wise to launch now, this is as close to the holiday as they can push it. As for waiting until next year, their hardware is gonna look old-hat when the other systems get announced. Their hands were forced, I don't think anyone can blame them.

Eh? I've owned quite a few consoles, and the only one that was troublesome on launch for me was the Xbox 360 (faulty power adapter). Dreamcast, PS2, DS Lite, Wii, none of these ever gave me annoyances. I don't have a Wii U yet, but it looks like there's a lot going bad here.

RagnarokX

Dang. My system was working fine since I got it at midnight launch, then today I went to download NSMBU off the eShop, the system froze for the first time, and now the system won't boot at all. I have to ship it in for repair.

One just happened to me. During Mario. Was at the 2nd lvl boss and lost, back to main hub, Nabbit appears, went to select lvl with nabbit and hard lock. Lost 3 lvls of coins and progress, about 30 mins worth, since I'm collecting all gold coins. Quite annoying.
So maybe its a bug. But if you're at the 2nd lvl Mario boss, don't click the nabbit until after completing and saving.

deviljho

The OS could run faster on an N64 cartridge.

I just returned from the UPS store; sent it in for repairs. Dramatic return of Nintendo launch hardware: Thanks for ruining Thanksgiving, Nintendo :p

Why are so many of u shipping for repair don't your local stores have 7 day or even 30 day return/exchange? I'd rather just get a new one.

Triz

Ive had 2 locks. One during a multiplayer Black ops match. Another when trying to boot up the web browser.

Dartastic

One just happened to me. During Mario. Was at the 2nd lvl boss and lost, back to main hub, Nabbit appears, went to select lvl with nabbit and hard lock. Lost 3 lvls of coins and progress, about 30 mins worth, since I'm collecting all gold coins. Quite annoying.
So maybe its a bug. But if you're at the 2nd lvl Mario boss, don't click the nabbit until after completing and saving.
I was just about to do this. D:

Triz

Well I already called Nintendo Customer Service and reported the locks. They took down my info. Why do I love dealing with them? Best CS I've ever dealt with by far.

This is pretty worrying, disappointing and very unexpected from Nintendo. I was thinking of picking up a WiiU at launch (Europe), but now I'll definitely wait until all these issues have been sorted out.

Well i just had two more pull the plug freezes in a half hour time span, this time both in Nintendo Land bringing me to a total of four since yesterday. Hopefully this can be resolved with software and won't require an exchange. Posted this on the WiiU, kind of surprised it didn't crash.

-KRS-

Wait, so when it hard locks like this, you can't even hold in the power button for 4 seconds to force a shutdown like on every other device? You really have to unplug the power cord? I know they had to do that on the GB stream, and someone mentioned it in this thread too, but is it confirmed or did they just assume that it wouldn't work since pressing the power button once didn't do anything? Though I seem to remember hearing Jeff say that Vinny was (among other things) holding the power button down during that first lockup and couldn't get it to shut off. Seems really odd that it could crash so hard that even the power button doesn't work.

I don't have a Wii U so can't confirm.

deviljho

Has Nintendo acknowledged any of this yet? Any of the issues at all with the OS? =\

LOL, no. Wouldn't want to sour the launch window...

System Freezes Unexpectedly While In Use

What to do:

Instances of system freezing are rare and unlikely to occur. If your system has frozen unexpectedly, do the following:

Reset your system by unplugging it from the wall for 10 seconds.

Ensure your system is kept current with available system updates (How to).

If additional assistance is needed, please contact us at 1-800-255-3700.

Well can u play around with console first make sure everything is working ok then make your NNID and do game transfer?

I'm not sure you understand the nature of the problem or how this thing works. Even if I could do that, it is too late. It's a day 1 console, so we are all flying blind.

And even if I wanted to return it to the store, the store would have to have it in stock. And if I did return it to the store, I wouldn't be confident in the level of support from Nintendo compared to just shipping the original console in for repairs.

Locked up again while playing Nintendo Land. Unlike the other one, that actually annoyed me because I was in the middle of breaking my F-Zero record :/

spookyfish

I had no lock ups on Sunday, played Mario for more than an hour.

Yesterday, I synced my gamepad to my TV and cablebox, played Mario for about the same amount of time and had a hard lock.

This may be quite a reach, but is anyone having their system hang who has NOT synced the gamepad to their TV?

andymcc

Banned
This may be quite a reach, but is anyone having their system hang who has NOT synced the gamepad to their TV?

you know what, i started having this issue when i synced my wii-u to my cablebox.

it hard-locked on me again, today, during mario while on the world map.

yesterday it locked up at the nintendoland lobby twice. the day before that during miiverse stuff.

i even considered that this may be an issue with miiverse integration but i dunno.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Froze up on me once during Nintendoland.

Inexcusable.

bluehat9

System just locked up playing Nintendo Land. Restarted the system and now it won't connect to the internet. Great. Really just need to get one of those adapters so I can have a wired connection I guess.

The increasing number of incidents is becoming worrying. What could be causing it? Does anyone think Nintendo will make a statement regarding the issue or isn't it widespread enough yet?

Damn. That happened to my Wii before, too.

And, fwiw, I've had a ton of hard locks on PS3 too within the last year, mostly due to Skyrim I think but also a couple during other games.

I had them A LOT on the 360; worryingly this was down to the power usage as the brick turned out to be at fault for the system breaking later.

Can't remember if it locked since then...but may have happened whilst playing Oblivion.
Wii U low power might be tough on somethings maybe(?); but very possible its a different issue.

Glass Joe

I got my first hard lock yesterday, playing that Octopus thing from Nintendoland. Got one today too, just after beating a level in NSMB U. For NSMB, I'm not sure if it locked when attempting one of those "would you like to post to MiiVerse" things or not.

I think it is pretty widespread, so it's probably that the Day 1 patch has issues. Looks like they were working on that until Zero Hour and maybe didn't test it all properly? Oh and someone mentioned pairing the GamePad to your cable box. I didn't pair my cable box (only the tv) until day 2. I don't really see how that could be related though. I think it's more of a MiiVerse thing. Either with the console's patch or the individual game patches.

Jarsonot

I've put quite a bit of time on mine, no locks.

My cousin has had one, during black ops campaign.

Not worried - figure it'll get sorted soon. Will get more worried the longer it's not fixed. =)

Top Bottom