• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okay. What the f*ck is going on with Wii U hard locks.

I remember my 360 locking up several times at launch and after the first week it was fine (well until it finally red ringed). Can't even remember if it locked at all after the first week. So as annoying as it might be I'd be pretty sure it'll stop happening soon.

Orca

I had none until today, then I got three hard locks in about 45 minutes of play in Nintendo Land. Get a sick feeling every time I pull the plug, worried it's not coming back on.

Are any of these lockups with a console not connected online or is it a mix of both?

And if it's only for those who are online, then I'd like to know if you use a wired or wireless connection.

I might as well expand on that and ask some more questions.

Do you use a SD card and/or external HDD?

Have you synced the gamepad with your TV or whatever equipment you can sync it with?

smr00

Banned
So whats the deal if you have to send your wii in? How is the process? Because i have no idea where my receipt is (i assume you don't need one).

Luckily i have yet to get hard locked but with all these problems popping up here and people having to send theirs off i am getting quite scared and want to be prepared in case i do need to send off.. Do you call and give them your serial? account? I have never had to sent a nintendo console in.

And if it's only for those who are online, then I'd like to know if you use a wired or wireless connection.

Have you synced the gamepad with your TV or whatever equipment you can sync it with?

Agreed everyone needs to posts specifics.

Reallink

Wait a second, why are people sending/returning consoles over this? Are Nintendo claiming it's hardware failure instead of the much more likely glitchy software?

hachi

Banned
Still zero lockups or other bugs here. I don't understand how none of these threads matches my experience. The initial update was slow; that's still my sole complaint, several days in now.

MarkusRJR

Wait a second, why are people sending/returning consoles over this? Are Nintendo claiming it's hardware failure instead of the much more likely glitchy software?
Yeah, the a lot of the lock ups are caused by Nintendo Land from what I've been reading on GAF. That game seriously needs a patch.

NSMBU just froze on me after I completed the 7th Castle. When the boss was beat, and I returned to the outer world map, the game screen froze and emitted a low pitch audio buzz. I had to pull the power to get the WiiU up again.

I'm guessing it's similar to the 3DS situation during the first month or so. The 3DS OS had a glitch that could cause any game to crash when the wifi was turned on.

Eyothrie

I'm tempted to send in my console (5 hard locks today), but this thread gives me hope that it's software related and fixable via a patch.

What say you, GAF? Send it to Nintendo or wait for a possible patch?

totowhoa

Banned
Just had the third hard lock today. But this one was different. For the last two, sound stopped playing. This one, sound kept playing, and it was on a loading screen... it was like it just wouldn't load, and it kept playing the music forever. Couldn't power it down with the button either so I had to pull it from the wall like before.

What happened was my fiance ejected Sonic to put Mario in while I had the gamepad... after ejecting Sonic (while the software was still running), the insert disc prompt came up, and right after that came up I hit the close software button on the home menu. It went to the all white "Wii U Menu" OS load screen and just never did anything but play that tune.

For all three of my hard locks:

-Online via wifi
-Nothing in the USB slots
-Synced with only my Panasonic

My other 2 hard locks were in NSMBU. Nothing in Nintendo Land so far, but I've played it least of the four games I own.

I'm tempted to send in my console (5 hard locks today), but this thread gives me hope that it's software related and fixable via a patch.

Do you need to register your console in any way to receive a warranty on the system from Nintendo?

falconzss

I have a slim PS3 and when i get hard lock i can just hit the power button on the console. I have never unplug it...

My reply was more regarding the lack of the power switch on the PS3 Slim. I also had several hard locks where my last option was to pull the plug because the system didn't respond to pressing the button or anything else anymore.

Hopefully these lockups aren't an indication for a hardware-related issue and can be fixed by applying a firmware update.

Eyothrie

Do you need to register your console in any way to receive a warranty on the system from Nintendo?

It's registered on club Nintendo with a 1 year warranty. I was just wondering if someone more in the know thinks that the freezing might be software related. I can wait for an updates if so (it's happened to me in Nintendo land and NSMBU)..

But if its hardware related, I want to go ahead and send it in so I can actually play the games I've paid for. Basically, I don't want to sit around and wait for a fix that may never come.

vilmer_

I haven't checked this thread enough to warrant a basic vs deluxe comparison regarding these locks, in any case I've pretty much had this thing on for 2 days straight tinkering around with everything, downloading from the e-shop, browsing the web, playing smb and I haven't had one issue yet. For reference, using the basic white sku.

It's registered on club Nintendo with a 1 year warranty. I was just wondering if someone more in the know thinks that the freezing might be software related. I can wait for an updates if so (it's happened to me in Nintendo land and NSMBU)..

But if its hardware related, I want to go ahead and send it in so I can actually play the games I've paid for. Basically, I don't want to sit around and wait for a fix that may never come.

Thanks for the info on the warranty. I thought I read, potentially on this thread, that someone contacted Nintendo and they said to wait for an update next week that should address the hardlocking issue..So for you, I'd at least wait until then to see if that fixes your problem. If it doesn't, then I'd send it in.

Is it happening with all games, or just NintendoLand? I haven't played NintendoLand, but considering all the lock issues I've heard about it I think I might just wait and keep playing ZombiU. Thankfully I haven't had any locks yet with ZombiU.--Playing on a black deluxe model.

Glass Joe

It's almost certainly software related, and if so you'd just be wasting your time. With time, someone will figure out a setting that prevents those crashes, and/or Nintendo will identify and fix the piece of software that causes the glitch. If it DOES turn out to be hardware, you'll have a year warranty so that's plenty of time to get the issue sorted out. I'm just thinking if you jump the gun you'll end up no better off since a replacement console running the same buggy software would yield the same results.

I haven't checked this thread enough to warrant a basic vs deluxe comparison regarding these locks, in any case I've pretty much had this thing on for 2 days straight tinkering around with everything, downloading from the e-shop, browsing the web, playing smb and I haven't had one issue yet. For reference, using the basic white sku.

Yes, and I have since encountered 2 more lock while playing NSMBU. Tank! Tank! Tank! and Nintendoland have not locked yet, but I have nowhere near the same hours played on those as I do on NSMBU.

FYI: Deluxe set.

Do you use a wired or wireless connection?

Have you synced the gamepad with your TV?

Eyothrie

Do you use a wired or wireless connection?

Have you synced the gamepad with your TV?

Wireless connection, and the gamepad is synced to the TV. No external HDD at the moment, but I do have two Wiimotes and a Wii U Pro controller synced. The Pro Controller also charges via one of the Wii U's USB ports.

My Gamepad 'froze' twice while in setup. Should I be worried? This seems less reported that the WiiU freezing up, but it's still an issue people have talked about.

I've been problem free today, and have played lots. Had a hard lock yesterday due to communication being lost to the hard drive... Y cable fixed that. I actually had a Y cable before, but swapped it out for a regular usb cable, thiking it may be faulty. Have also removed my SD card for the time being.

Roo

Wireless connection, and the gamepad is synced to the TV. No external HDD at the moment, but I do have two Wiimotes and a Wii U Pro controller synced. The Pro Controller also charges via one of the Wii U's USB ports.

I think it is software related
but I wouldn't be surprised if the hardware had some flaws.

Orca

Online, wifi. Using the game pad each time. All three were in Nintendo Land - twice in games and once in the plaza. No USB or other devices attached.

bh7812

Banned
I've had only one lock up so far, and it was yesterday with Nintendo Land. It happened during the intro part to the Donkey Kong attraction. It just froze hard and made a super loud buzzing noise, which unfortunately I had my headphones on so I had to take those off in a hurry to unplug my Wii U fast. I took the disc out and I'm definitely not touching that game again until they patch it. I'd kinda suggest others who got a lock up with that game do the same. I'm disappointed, the 15 minutes I did see of that game are some of the most creative I've seen in a game in a few years easily. A fair amount of the lock ups are happening with Nintendo Land, so I'm sure they'll address it. Shortly before the lock up, Monita's voice was cutting in and out a bit and doing weird stuff with that so I figured the lock up was coming but not quite as suddenly as it happened. The cutting in and out of audio just right before the lock up tells me this is probably all software related.

I haven't had any other lock ups since-my OS and other games seem to be a-ok.

After doing some reading around I'm starting to lean heavily towards this: The hard lock ups are being caused by Mii Verse and the games that support Mii Verse connectivity. Meaning, when you're playing a game that integrates with Mii Verse, either Mii Verse is not liking something within the actual game code for the games, or something in the game code is not liking something to do with Mii Verse. At that point Mii Verse and the game code are locking horns and the crash happens. After the reading up I've done, I'm 95 percent sure it's a software-side issue that will be patched and they might wanna do that by next weekend for the Europe launch. IF that's the case, and again I'm fairly confident it is based on the level of tech knowledge I DO have with this stuff, a patch should fix everyone up.

If what another poster said in this thread is true about how this day 1 update and that December update got split in half to be able to get the online stuff up and running: Stupid, stupid move. It wouldn't surprise me if parts of the OS are looking for the TVii stuff as part of full connectivity and freaking out because it's not there. Look, I realize the online components are a huge part of this system but if this theory's true look what's happened due to possibly chopping it in half? All these issues happen and it's just frustrating people and making them very angry. If it's a choice between, me personally, having all the online features day 1, or wait until the FULL update is ready-one that has been tested, checked, and all parts are there working correctly-I'm sorry but I'd rather have waited until next month to get the online connectivity guys. While Mii Verse IS amazing, it coulda waited a few weeks.

As much as some here do not like GameFAQs, I did read one possible solution that is having some success judging from some who've tried it:

In Mii Verse itself, in the Options menu, try changing the language setting to English Only.

In Nintendo Land, Super Mario U, and any other Mii Verse supported games, also try changing the Mii Verse language setting to English Only.

The theory behind these suggestions is Mii Verse is having trouble with foreign character strings right now, and some who've tried this suggestion have had their issues resolved so I thought I'd throw that suggestion out there.

Since my only lock up was with Nintendo Land, I'll at least change my Mii Verse language setting to English Only for now. I'm honestly afraid to even try booting into Nintendo Land again until they issue either a patch for the game or full OS Update. FANTASTIC game from what I've played. But it's not worth the risk of a second lock up and possibly bricking.

I've never had a Nintendo system hard lock even once so I was surprised yesterday to say the least. They WILL look into this and fix it guys but you need to be patient with them. I do NOT envy their OS or Mii Verse teams in Japan right now or the people responsible for the Nintendo Land game code because now all of them have to get into the OS, Mii Verse and game code, figure out what's causing the horn locking, come up with a fix and then do testing out the butt end until they're sure they have got it fixed. They will probably spend a majority of their work time this next week trying to fix this. A lot of hours and not easy work so please be patient with them and cut them a small break. I wouldn't want their job.

So far I have had 5 total locks now, 1 in nintendoland, 1 while I was booting up sonic racing, 2 in mario (lost a bunch of save stuff since it doesn't let you save until a castle..) and 1 in assassins creed. I decided to lay my system down (doubt it matters).

God I hope this is a firmware issue, not hardware related.

hongcha

They WILL look into this and fix it guys but you need to be patient with them. I do NOT envy their OS or Mii Verse teams in Japan right now or the people responsible for the Nintendo Land game code because now all of them have to get into the OS, Mii Verse and game code, figure out what's causing the horn locking, come up with a fix and then do testing out the butt end until they're sure they have got it fixed. They will probably spend a majority of their work time this next week trying to fix this. A lot of hours and not easy work so please be patient with them and cut them a small break. I wouldn't want their job.

You act like they're some charitable non-profit organization. They're a business trying to make as much money as possible. They screwed up so they should fix it and you shouldn't feel sorry for them about that. No one forced them to release the console before the bugs were ironed out.

zashga

I've had a couple of hard locks so far, both in Nintendoland while (trying to) play multiplayer. Not a great feeling; hope there's a fix for this soon.

Darko

So far I have had 5 total locks now, 1 in nintendoland, 1 while I was booting up sonic racing, 2 in mario (lost a bunch of save stuff since it doesn't let you save until a castle..) and 1 in assassins creed. I decided to lay my system down (doubt it matters).

God I hope this is a firmware issue, not hardware related.

if its a hardware issue nintendo is fucked.

ive only had it happen to me in nintendoland though.

Top Bottom