• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okay. What the f*ck is going on with Wii U hard locks.

MarkusRJR

I got my Wii U on Tuesday and have been playing New Super Mario Bros U, Sonic Racing Transformed, and ZombiU pretty constantly. Along with that I've watched a bit of Netflix and YouTube here and there.

I haven't had a single hard lock. Are you guys putting the system on bare carpet and/or resting your monitors on top of it? I Remember seeing a gaming set up thread a few years ago where people had actually set their small TVs on top of the Xbox 360 covering some of the vents. I imagine these same people were those who got the red lights and had no idea why.

Makes me wonder sometimes.
Mine is out on a table with nothing near the vents (or around the system in general). The hard locks aren't an overheating/hardware things either, it seems to be software related. Just because you haven't had problems yet doesn't mean the rest of us are doing something stupid with our machines. :/

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
No freezes yet for my Wii U on Nintendoland, but I haven't updated my firmware.

Has to be a firmware/mii-verse integration issue. I want to upgrade my firmware, so fix this crap, Nintendo.

Eyothrie

My Nintendoland hard locking goes away when I delete the wifi connection in my system settings and play it offline. I'm wondering if this is miiverse integration causing the issue.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
I had my first hard lock while trying to access Miiverse. I unplugged my console and restarted it and it rebooted as normal.

My Nintendoland hard locking goes away when I delete the wifi connection in my system settings and play it offline. I'm wondering if this is miiverse integration causing the issue.
I will try this next and report back with my results. I sure hope it works because I have a frickin' game to review.

And to answer an earlier question, yes, to some degree this has to factor into the score.

hatchx

Banned
Mine Wii U hard locked, but I accidentally spilled a bottle of coca-cola on it.

I spilled coke on other consoles before and nothing happened.

WTF Nintendo

Mudkips

Banned
My Gamepad kept freezing. I was hoping it was a software thing, but after not seeing it widely reported I exchanged it for a new one at Target. The old one froze a total of 10 times in less than 24 hours - twice during setup, twice during Miiverse (in a row), then 5 times during ZombiU. This one hasn't frozen once.

Another guy at the official forums (http://techforums.nintendo.com/message/78333) also confirmed that exchanging his WiiU for a new one fixed his issue. This seems to totally rule out firmware.

So, to be clear, there seems to be a hardware issue with some of the Gamepads that causes them to freeze constantly. That's pretty terrifying.

There is absolutely no evidence to suggest that it's a hardware problem. My Wii U crashed 3 times within 30 minutes on day 2. It hasn't crashed since.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Just hard locked twice trying to play multiplayer Nintendo Land. I've read a lot of similar complaints in the Nintendo Land OT.

M_A_C

Reporting my first lock up since I got the console on Nintendoland.

same, never had a problem till just now. 3 locks in a row... WTF?

Ok, looking at the MiiVerse, looks like a lot of people are having problems today. Must be server related or something.

TheQueen'sOwn

insert blank space here
My (deluxe) system has locked up 8 or so times. Almost all of those happened on launch day (Sunday) and Monday during (or while loading) Nintendoland. One lockup happened while loading Miiverse and produced a high pitched noise from both the TV and gamepad. I think the issue is network related.

Eyothrie

My (deluxe) system has locked up 8 or so times. Almost all of those happened on launch day (Sunday) and Monday during (or while loading) Nintendoland. One lockup happened while loading Miiverse and produced a high pitched noise from both the TV and gamepad. I think the issue is network related.

Yep, it sounds like an air raid horn. Here's a video I found on Nintendo's support forum, and this is the exact thing that happened to me before I disconnected the system from the Internet:
http://youtu.be/z2UhaepkdFI

same, never had a problem till just now. 3 locks in a row... WTF?

Ok, looking at the MiiVerse, looks like a lot of people are having problems today. Must be server related or something.

Likewise, never had a lockup till tonight, then 2 in a row. Nintendo is obviously having some growing pains... I'll forgive them for it for now.

BooJoh

I got my Deluxe system Wednesday, had my first hardlock tonight, while playing Nintendo Land, then it proceeded to lock up every time I got ~15-30 sec into Nintendo Land. I tried setting the Miiverse settings to English Only and set my Nintendo Land plaza to English Only visitors and was able to continue playing.

FWIW I haven't had any hardlocks before now, and they only happened to me in Nintendo Land. I've been playing tons of Scribblenauts with lots of intermittent Miiverse reading/posting, played Skylanders for a while, and have played an hour or two of NSMB all without lockups.

The two unique circumstances that changed before my hard locks started were that visitors arrived to my Nintendo Land park, and I synced a Wii Remote to my Wii U for the first time. I think the lockups have something to do with the former since the regional settings fix seems to have worked for me (at least for now.)

Nintendo Land in specific is freezing at an eerily frequent rate right now, and is happening for a lot of other Miiverse users as well. In fact if there were actually some hard evidence or an article or something, it would probably deserve its own thread.

Only had one lockup so far, but was able to power down the system from the main power button. It happened while playing Black Ops II after I tried hitting the home button while the game was transitioning from the multiplayer menu to the campaign menu. It never loaded and just froze at the loading screen.

Other than that, no issues and I played the system quite a bit, especially on Sun-Tues.

Edit: No Nintendo Land or Assassin's Creed III here, and no hard lockups, just the one described above.

LiK

a lot of people on my Twitter are pointing out hard locks right now. can't be a coincidence. i'm gonna assume it involves something with the online causing it.

braves01

Banned
I've had zero problems with NSMB U itself. Miiverse, browser, basically anything requiring Internet has been a mixed bag. I've had two lock-ups over three days and about 18-20 hours of heavy use. I think these lock-ups are network related somehow. NintendoLand has heavy Miiverse integration right?

IMACOMPUTA

Wii U is a turd.
I had a really hard time buying it, and have been struggling with major buyers remorse.

I've had 4 hard locks in 2 hours. It's unplayable.

Nintendoland every time.

I think i'm going to return the system.

Medalion

Banned
I have had my Wii-U freeze up 3 times while playing Ass Creed 3, and only one other time while I was in the friend list

This is getting kinda crazy

It's garbage netcode. Disconnect from your network and the lockups go away.

Wii U is a turd.
I had a really hard time buying it, and have been struggling with major buyers remorse.

Nintendoland every time.

It's not the hardware. It's the software.

Darko

Wii U is a turd.

Nintendoland every time.

I stopped playing nintendoland and havent had a problem since...

About 30 mins ago upon starting Nan Assault Neo my system powered down twice in a row before even getting into the game. Remembered that I had my sdcard inserted from playing Wii VC last night, pulled it out, game worked fine. Leaderboards are down though.

Come on Nintendo, let us use "vitual" sdcards for the Wii mode, or better yet, expand the Wii's memory for Wii mode.

Right now, Nintendoland hard locks for me exactly 45 seconds after launching it, every time, no matter what I'm doing. It's been working since launch just fine. Patch has been in since day 2.

But, if I delete my internet connection from system settings, then it works fine. But with a wired or wireless connection, either one, it hard locks in 45 seconds.

I haven't had any other lock-ups, just this exact one in Nintendoland.

I think the Miiverse connection is crashing it. WTF?

This is some bad net code for sure. It's like someone forgot to program in some contingency for when an expected miiverse connection can't be made.

Mine locked twice tonight while trying to play Nintendo Land.

This is some bad net code for sure. It's like someone forgot to program in some contingency for when an expected miiverse connection can't be made.

I think that's what happened with mine. I went up to a Mii in the plaza to see what they had to say and it said to connect to Miiverse via the main menu or something. I know I already had it set up though because I've been using it all along.

BooJoh

Right now, Nintendoland hard locks for me exactly 45 seconds after launching it, every time, no matter what I'm doing. It's been working since launch just fine. Patch has been in since day 2.

But, if I delete my internet connection from system settings, then it works fine. But with a wired or wireless connection, either one, it hard locks in 45 seconds.

I haven't had any other lock-ups, just this exact one in Nintendoland.

I think the Miiverse connection is crashing it. WTF?

Try loading it up, hitting Home as soon as it loads, then go to Miiverse and set it to only display English messages. Then when you get back to NLand go into settings and set it to English visitors only. See if it works after that.

I hope they really do have a fix patch coming soon.

Try loading it up, hitting Home as soon as it loads, then go to Miiverse and set it to only display English messages. Then when you get back to NLand go into settings and set it to English visitors only. See if it works after that.

I hope they really do have a fix patch coming soon.

Doesn't fix it.

Definitely let us know. I'm really curious if you get similar results as me
Wonderful -- this seems to have (hopefully) completely fixed the problem. So clearly it appears to be something do with the internet connectivity that is breaking the games.

I certainly do think it is Miiverse related. Makes sense that if you first exclude foreign Miis from interacting with your games, it massively reduces the odds of you failing to connect to whatever server is responsible for that data. That's why that step initially fixed the problem for many of us. But since it can also happen with domestic Miis, the foreign Mii disabling only works sometimes and for some situations.

Who would have thought, Nintendo screwing up internet connectivity?! ;-)

For now, the only real solution appears to be to completely disable Wi-Fi, or perhaps to completely disable Miiverse (if that's at all possible?)

Thanks for the workaround!

Medalion

Banned
Just for reference

I use the LAN adaptor and still get these lockups

so it's not just WIFI but probably internet in general

This is what I think too. I've had zero problems when internet access isn't involved.

It's gotta be the Miiverse communication code. Take that out of the picture, and the lockups magically go away. It's scary that a bad connection leads to a console needing to have the plug pulled. That needs a patch.

Zoe

I got my Wii U on Tuesday and have been playing New Super Mario Bros U, Sonic Racing Transformed, and ZombiU pretty constantly. Along with that I've watched a bit of Netflix and YouTube here and there.

I haven't had a single hard lock. Are you guys putting the system on bare carpet and/or resting your monitors on top of it? I Remember seeing a gaming set up thread a few years ago where people had actually set their small TVs on top of the Xbox 360 covering some of the vents. I imagine these same people were those who got the red lights and had no idea why.

Makes me wonder sometimes.

Did you just blame the RRoD on user setups?

Yeah, I mean disabling any network connection at all. Makes sense that it would apply to all network connections, as the netcode in question is very likely subject to hardware abstraction that doesn't care how the console connects to the network. It's higher-level than that and the problem is above the device driver/management code.

Very good to have the first shred of evidence that this is, in fact, purely software-related.

Top Bottom