• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okay. What the f*ck is going on with Wii U hard locks.

I'm sort of guessing he's saying he hasn't updated his console. Lock-ups don't happen until after the day 1 update.

okay, thanks. is the day one update vital to to using the console if you wish to remain offline? can you still patch games or does the console require the patch before it allows you to go online?

Sanctuary

I have had 3 hard locks in about 40 hours of play. Seems par for the course with current gen.

I've never had a single lockup with either of my 360's, although my somewhat barely used original 360 suffered RROD due to a power failure in my house (weather). I have however had lockups on the PS3, but it has only ever been with Darksiders 2, so it seems more like an issue with the game than the system.

I've had five hard locks with the Wii U, but it's always in the same place, and I purposefully tried to recrate it after the initial one.

Locked up twice tonight for the first time in 2 weeks: both in Nintendo Land when trying to play Luigi. Of note (Maybe?), it crashed shortly after I viewed a profile from a dude in Spain which had foreign characters

Eyothrie

Either set the language to English only in game (Nintendo Land), or delete your wifi connection completely. The former might reduce the lockups, but the latter will eliminate them.

DrLazy

Have had 6 lockups in a hour with Nintendoland. Is it to do with Miiverse?

I just had 4 lookups back to back in Nintendoland. Two in the park, two playing the donkey kong game. I have it set on English only. At this point I might have to disable the Internet :( :(. I love the miiverse, use the Netflix, etc.

hachi

Banned
Still not a single lock up, launch-day Wii U with daily use.

I use Nintendoland and its Miiverse functions constantly. So, clearly God and Iwata love me more than the rest of you.

Got a Wii U a couple days ago. First day it hard locked once. Today it has hard locked constantly... usually within a couple minutes.

MarkusRJR

I am fucking done with this piece of shit console.

I brought it over to a friends house and plugged it in via component (in 720p). I exit the settings app and get a hard lock. We spend the rest of the day playing Nintendo Land with a few odd lock ups throughout the day.

I bring the console home and set it back up to work with HDMI. I exit to settings app and it gives me another lock up. I've been testing it for the last 30 minutes and I've come to the conclusion that just by exiting the settings app (without even making any changes) my Wii U will always hard lock. Who the fuck designed this terrible OS? They should be fired. I feel like my brand new console is going to fall apart at any moment.

So fucking disapointed. This console needs a patch ASAP. I feel like a shitty beta tester that isn't getting paid anything.

I brought it over to a friends house and plugged it in via component (in 720p). I exit the settings app and get a hard lock. We spend the rest of the day playing Nintendo Land with a few odd lock ups throughout the day.

I bring the console home and set it back up to work with HDMI. I exit to settings app and it gives me another lock up. I've been testing it for the last 30 minutes and I've come to the conclusion that just by exiting the settings app (without even making any changes) my Wii U will always hard lock. Who the fuck designed this terrible OS? They should be fired. I feel like my brand new console is going to fall apart at any moment.

So fucking disapointed. This console needs a patch ASAP. I feel like a shitty beta tester that isn't getting paid anything.

This is why you don't buy consoles at launch. I've bought PS2, Xbox 360, Wii, and WiiU at launch. All but my WiiU have had problems right away. I had to get a new PS2 because of a disc read error issue the day I got it. My 360 just flat out died 3 days after I got it and my Wii stopped reading discs after 2 weeks. So far I've gotten two hard locks on my WiiU but then again I still get hardlocks all the time on my current 360.

GrayFoxPL

ipHh2EMCctgIn.jpg

Davey Cakes

For those experiencing hard locks on a regular basis, I recommend deleting your internet connection, at least when you plan to play with other people (as to not ruin the experience), and also isolating Miiverse functionallity to America-only and English-only for the language.

The hard locks make for an unfortunate situation, and I hope that Nintendo is able to fix the issue with a patch. That said, going by my experience and what others have noted, the problem is likely internet-related, most specifically when it comes to dealing with international connectivity. No guarantees, but at least there are some preventative measures available.

pestul

Just sounds like you got a lemon dude. I've had one hard lock so far and it was only because I got a little excited in the browser and clicked a gmail contact icon like 10x fast. Another GAF poster later told me that Netfront NX browsers have difficulty with gmail anyway..

MarkusRJR

Okay. Since posting that I decided that I'll try one more time before calling customer service. I closed the settings app without doing anything. I decided to let it do it's thing on the loading screen where it usually just hangs (and I can't turn off the console due to the power button not responding). I come back 15 minutes later to find it still on the loading screen. Just as I'm about to unplug it (20 minutes of just the loading screen at this point) it goes to the main menu.

So, it's not even locking up. It's just the console taking 20 minutes to exit the settings app. What the fuck...?!

EDIT: I restarted the machine again and it seems to only take 5-8 minutes to close the app on average but I also learned that it's the same on every game/app, and not just exclusive to the settings app. Slow loading all around. :(

NeoRausch

Still not a single lock up, launch-day Wii U with daily use.

I use Nintendoland and its Miiverse functions constantly. So, clearly God and Iwata love me more than the rest of you.

same here.

my wife is a miiverse addict, we marathoned trough nsmbu this weekend, worked on out nintendoland skillz for hours today and i smacked some zombi skullz in.

not one single lockup or anything.

it's a euro system btw. with all updates (system and games/apps) installed.

is the euro update safer?

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Just experience my first Super Wii hard-lock. >>;; Happened after winning a grand prix in Sonic Racing. >>; Now I gotta do this all over again! >> <<;

Spine E Lobster

Neo Member
So I just experienced this with the family right now. 3 times in a row at almost the same area in Pikmin on level 3. The console just shuts off all the way and one of my wii remotes wont stop vibrating and another still has the blue light on even though the console is off. I have to turn the system back on to get it to stop.
Really sucks. I'm going to try and do the miiverse fix and maybe disconnect the internet when we want to play nintendoland. We play NSMBU just fine though.

beje

Banned
Ok, I have a case of console stuck closing an app (Youtube) to the point of not responding and I had to unplug it from the wall.

Now it won't turn on. If I try to power it on with the front button or a wii remote the light goes blue for a couple of seconds then automatically shut down again. If I try to power it on from the Gamepad, I get an error in the gamepad where it says it couldn't connect to the Wii U console and to move closer (but the gamepad is ABOVE the console right now).

I already tried unplugging from the wall for 5 minutes, but it's still doing the same. I got a botched console, right? Guess I'll unplug for longer and then call Nintendo tomorrow if it doesn't fix itself.

Kyou

Worth throwing out there that in 25 hours of AC3 I haven't had a single lockup.

I think at this point it's undoubtedly linked to Miiverse

nickcv

Ok, I have a case of console stuck closing an app (Youtube) to the point of not responding and I had to unplug it from the wall.

Now it won't turn on. If I try to power it on with the front button or a wii remote the light goes blue for a couple of seconds then automatically shut down again. If I try to power it on from the Gamepad, I get an error in the gamepad where it says it couldn't connect to the Wii U console and to move closer (but the gamepad is ABOVE the console right now).

I already tried unplugging from the wall for 5 minutes, but it's still doing the same. I got a botched console, right? Guess I'll unplug for longer and then call Nintendo tomorrow if it doesn't fix itself.

damn, it really sucks beje...
wonder what really brick your console...
i never use the youtube app (wii u browser is far superior), but in case that it really has something to do with what happened to you i'll just uninstall it

i think they kinda fixed it... i've been playing with both nintendoland and nsmbu for two days and i never had a problem.

Blue light of death, yes.

MarkusRJR

I think you might've had a similar problem to me. My apps randomly started taking super long to close (3-20 minutes). It seems like a hard lock at first due to the fact the power button on the console is disabled, but it'll eventually go to the home menu if you wait it out. I guess you pulled it out while it was closing and it was doing something important and it fucked up and bricked. That sucks. Hopefully the repairing process is painless. I'll be phoning customer service myself tomorrow to see if I need to get my console repaired/replaced.

Does anyone know if they transfer your Wii saves, VC/WiiWare games, and Wii U saves over to the repaired Wii U? I'd hate to lose it all. :(

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to

I'm inclined to agree. Somewhere the unoptimized OS/Miiverse is overflowing the RAM methinks.

I think you might've had a similar problem to me. My apps randomly started taking super long to close (3-20 minutes). It seems like a hard lock at first due to the fact the power button on the console is disabled, but it'll eventually go to the home menu if you wait it out. I guess you pulled it out while it was closing and it was doing something important and it fucked up and bricked. That sucks. Hopefully the repairing process is painless. I'll be phoning customer service myself tomorrow to see if I need to get my console repaired/replaced.

Does anyone know if they transfer your Wii saves, VC/WiiWare games, and Wii U saves over to the repaired Wii U? I'd hate to lose it all. :(

They should, just be extra specially sure to mention it to them that you want stuff from both the Wii U and Wii transferred over.

Pineconn

I haven't had a lock in a week. Yesterday I played a good amount of Nintendo Land, too, which was the main culprit. I wonder if they're cleaning things up behind the scenes.

nickcv

what actually can be causing the slow down?
the internal memory is actually flash, so that should not be it...

I'm inclined to agree. Somewhere the unoptimized OS/Miiverse is overflowing the RAM methinks.

that's beyond unoptimized if they are running out of memory on 1 GB.
maybe just some awful garbage collection?

Czigga

I left mine unplugged overnight when I had same problem (froze up, unplugging couple mins / restarting did not help, Gamepad couldn't connect error). But when I left it off overnight, that seemed to fix it for me. No problems since (knock on wood)

Good luck

MarkusRJR

what actually can be causing the slow down?
the internal memory is actually flash, so that should not be it...
I'm not even sure. The OS just seems hilariously unoptimized. I think it might just be a bug or something that can be fixed via software updates but I'm way to impatient a person to wait for games/apps to close. It started happening the moment I put the Wii U on component cables and not HDMI. It was originally on a TV with HDMI and I had to change video out settings with the GamePad. When I went to close the settings app I thought it hard locked but it was just taking a millenia to close. Since then everything takes forever to close.
I left mine unplugged overnight when I had same problem (froze up, unplugging couple mins / restarting did not help, Gamepad couldn't connect error). But when I left it off overnight, that seemed to fix it for me. No problems since (knock on wood)

Good luck
My console isn't bricked, but your post gave me the idea to leave my console unplugged for the day to see if it does anything. Probably won't, but it won't hurt to try.

hwy_61

Banned

First, I want to say I'm sorry for what you're going through. It really sucks ass.

Second, I'd like to thank you, because its the early adopters that I wait for to see if there are any problems I should be wary of. You're helping the working man, my friend.

I haven't had a lock in a week. Yesterday I played a good amount of Nintendo Land, too, which was the main culprit. I wonder if they're cleaning things up behind the scenes.

I get at least one lock every time I play, and I just bought the system last week when it finally came back in stock at Target. It's pretty crappy that the only way to fix the hard locks is by unplugging it and plugging it back in. They should at least let you do a hard reset by holding down the power button like most electronics.

I've had one lock up during Nintendo Land, it was right at the start when they're asking you to click on the first ? block thing lol.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
And I was just about to order this console from gamespot too. I think I shall wait now. I know Nintendo have one of the best customer service and return policies in the business, but I want a version of Wii U that is prepatched with all of the crap it needs to run correctly.

Is anyone keeping track of the OS update numbers when comparing the amount of lock-ups? I need to know which OS version is finally devoid of these inconvenient lock-ups.

hwy_61

Banned
And I was just about to order this console from gamespot too. I think I shall wait now. I know Nintendo have one of the best customer service and return policies in the business, but I want a version of Wii U that is prepatched with all of the crap it needs to run correctly.

Is anyone keeping track of the OS update numbers when comparing the amount of lock-ups? I need to know which OS version is finally devoid of these inconvenient lock-ups.

Don't worry, I too call it GameSpot every single time.

DeVeAn

I have had 3 hard locks. It always happens in Sonic Racing when I play as Joe Musashi from Shinobi.

Cherubae

I've only had one lockup since launch, and that was when I was trying to access Netflix last night. It started loading Netflix (red screen with the loading indicator) and then went to a black screen. I could turn off my tablet using the Power button, and turn it back on, but the console wouldn't respond to its power button and would only display a black screen.

Earlier I kept getting messages on the tablet about losing connectivity to the console, even though I was sitting 10 feet away :p It kept interrupting my DK crash course run.

Spine E Lobster

Neo Member
So like i said earlier after 3 random shutdowns in the same spot on level 3 in pikmin, i ended up switching miiverse to English only. Tried again and thankfully no more shutdowns. Played nintendo land for an hour straight afterwards too with no problems. Hopefully that can hold me and the family over till a patch comes out.

LiK

people are still having hard locks? hopefully they'll fix this soon now that it's out in Japan.

dazzgc

Banned
This seems like a fairly widespread issue. for myself personally i have yet to experience any hard locks.
most of my time has been spent playing zombi u and mario. apart from the sluggish os, it's all been smooth sailing..
have any pal users had hard lock issues or is it mostly people in the us so far?

Drago

I got my hard drive today and ever since plugging it in I've had 4 hard locks since. Only had one before this, back on launch day. Haven't tried it after unplugging the hard drive yet...

Really hoping it was due to the HDD not running through a y cable (waiting for it in the mail, pretty sure it needs one to work properly) and not with the system itself :<

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
This seems like a fairly widespread issue. for myself personally i have yet to experience any hard locks.
most of my time has been spent playing zombi u and mario. apart from the sluggish os, it's all been smooth sailing..
have any pal users had hard lock issues or is it mostly people in the us so far?

I'm in the UK and I've had four hard freezes in total. Once while browsing the web, once while in the youtube app and twice while playing NSMBU on launch day. ZombiU and Sonic have been crash free so far, although I haven't played too much of the latter.

Adr1an

Experienced a hard lock after updating a patch for Assassin's Creed 3. As the Game pretty much started it was having massive slowdowns and there was no sound coming out either than the whole system froze.

MrMephistoX

Experienced a hard lock after updating a patch for Assassin's Creed 3. As the Game pretty much started it was having massive slowdowns and there was no sound coming out either than the whole system froze.

Just got the game and its locked up 3 times already. Half tempted to find a store that's out of stock and return it for a gift card or something.

Top Bottom