• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okay. What the f*ck is going on with Wii U hard locks.

Satchel

Banned
Yep. So mine hard locks now. Had no,issue for the first 6 days, now, one day after my Zombi U game glitches, I start hard locking.

3 of them in 20 minutes.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
If your machines are hard locking then get them replaced. They are not going to magically repair themselves. Nor will a firmware update help.

Madouu

I must be the 5% I have not yet had one hard lock

The console seemed to be very susceptible to hard locks a few days after release and this is when most have been reported. Since then, things seem to have improved greatly but there's quite a few owners still experiencing them.

I haven't got a single hard lock since the two I reported way back in November.

Dozens of hours clocked, and I've only had one hard lock, and that was the session directly after my GF accidentally unplugged the Wii U when I was browsing on the tablet.

NeoRausch

Sonic Allstars totally super crashed yesterday. But that was an 100% software crash.

but a wonderful crash screen. somewhat reminded me of the old C64 loading screen. :3

img_1718deqsa.jpg

beje

Banned
My first console bricked (dead motherboard) but the one I got back from Nintendo has never ever locked up, even with intensive multitasking. Only "problematic" game I have is Zombi U though, but it hasn't locked up the console either.

Didn't had a hardlock either, at least not what people describing (noise from the speaker), one time when exiting to the Wii U menu it didn't showed up, the spinning circle didn't stopped spinning, so I am pretty sure this was a software issue. Nonetheless the power button didn't worked any more, the console crashed very deep, had to unplug it. Never happened again.

BDGAME

No hard locks for me too.

The only thing that bugs me is the loading in Miiverse. Sometimes it's fast (3 to 5 seconds), but other times, the same screen can loading for a minute or more. When that happens I think it has a hard lock, but if I waiting, the loading ends ok.

That inconsistent loading times is the only problem I have right now.

Grampasso

Could it be an issue linked to some interaction attempted with the gamepad and going nuts? I haven't had any hard lock up to now, but as some of you may remember I got the gamepad stolen after 4 days so I only used the WiiU with the Wiimote and mainly playing Wii games. This could be a hint to the reason (just saying, that wouldn't solve anything anyway).

braves01

Banned
First hard lock (first two actually, back to back) since the update. Blops 2 campaign replay, pyrrhic victory when you're walking around with Woods after you find him in the container.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Dozens of hours clocked, and I've only had one hard lock, and that was the session directly after my GF accidentally unplugged the Wii U when I was browsing on the tablet.

About the same amount of time, maybe 4 or 5 hard locks. ZombiU, NintendoLand and browsing Miiverse.

They're all unacceptable but only one really pissed me off (I was about 30 mins into a ZombiU sesh and doing pretty well).

Wow!!!
All these hard lock stories about a NINTENDO system??? They used as reliable as a tank. What the hell happened to Nintendo quality???

Yamauchi retired. Nintendo's been cheap-o central since then, and I'd say it's been getting worse over time.

Could it be an issue linked to some interaction attempted with the gamepad and going nuts? I haven't had any hard lock up to now, but as some of you may remember I got the gamepad stolen after 4 days so I only used the WiiU with the Wiimote and mainly playing Wii games. This could be a hint to the reason (just saying, that wouldn't solve anything anyway).

As far as I've seen - limited to internet anecdotal evidence, to be sure - all hard locks occur when an internet connection (stored on the Wii U, that is) is present. Delete that connection so the console doesn't try to connect, and hard locks don't happen. It's a network-related problem.

Anyone know otherwise? Anyone have a hard lock with no connection settings on their console?

Just got another one, trying to boot up the NBA 2K13 demo. It's stuck on the splash screen, playing the dribbling/cheering sound over and over lol. Buttons are unresponsive, but the power button did shut off the Gamepad... and only the Gamepad. Power button on the console itself is unresponsive as per usual with the locks. Time to cross my fingers and pull the plug again...

Indeed, i would instantly return the system after a few locks, since it is a faulty system

If you've downloaded any games, and you return your system to the store, you'll lose those games. Returning it to Nintendo is your only choice if you want to keep them. Has anyone here actually tried getting a Wii U replaced by Nintendo because of these hard locks? They may not even be willing to do that, because at this time, it does appear that these hard locks are a software issue, not a hardware one.

I had a few locks very early on (in November), but I've had zero since the last update in December. Play it almost daily too.

Its definitely software/network related and I think its a thing of the past. Moving on.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Mine used to lock up every single time I went to the Campaign menu on Black Ops. Googled and no one else had the same problem. It's magically fixed now, just randomly went to menu and it didn't lock up.

ozfunghi

Mine locked up about 5 times since launch (EU). Once with the Youtube channel, and a couple of times playing ZombiU and AC3.

Medalion

Banned
I am afraid to play a game on this system anymore cuz of these... I want to use this system more but it won't let me... it won't LET ME!

To those of you experiencing locks: if it's feasible (ie. you're not trying to use Netflix, for example), try deleting your internet connection from the system. If you're just trying to play an offline game, that should fix the problem in the short term.

lamaroo said:
Mine used to lock up every single time I went to the Campaign menu on Black Ops. Googled and no one else had the same problem. It's magically fixed now, just randomly went to menu and it didn't lock up.

I had the same problem with Nintendo Land for about a day. It would crash 15 seconds after I started, every single time, exactly. It fixed itself. It's because the problem is net related. If the Wii U can't connect to whatever it's trying to, it may lock up. Once the other end is available again, for whatever reason, the problem goes away (for now).

nasos_333

If you've downloaded any games, and you return your system to the store, you'll lose those games. Returning it to Nintendo is your only choice if you want to keep them. Has anyone here actually tried getting a Wii U replaced by Nintendo because of these hard locks? They may not even be willing to do that, because at this time, it does appear that these hard locks are a software issue, not a hardware one.

I dont know, seems a lot like a hardware/software problem, otherwise they would have patched it already

Spinluck

I average at least 2 hard locks a day browsing YouTube, and using Netflix.

Even when I'm not doing these things I experience locks. It's kinda ridiculous.

I dont know, seems a lot like a hardware/software problem, otherwise they would have patched it already

Nintendo's not exactly fast off the draw with this sort of stuff. It took them a month to patch Skyward Sword, two years to patch in real SD card use for the Wii, 3 months to patch in a store and browser on the 3DS...

Give them some time. Have they even acknowledged the problem yet? They're slow. Really, really slow. But I still think it's a software issue, and they'll eventually fix it.

Seems like it has to do with the internet connection. I've now experienced a couple hard locks, all while browsing, and it seems like most people have the issue while using streaming apps or utilizing online features in games.

Dunkelgrau

I’ve got the same issue with Sonic Allstars Racing Transforemd - but only since a few days.

Is this the classical hard lock everyone is talking about? weird mentioned, it is a software issue.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
]blacky[;47175713 said:
I’ve got the same issue with Sonic Allstars Racing Transforemd - but only since a few days.

Is this the classical hard lock everyone is talking about? weird mentioned, it is a software issue.

Might be a bad GPU.

GringoJB

Yeah, I hard locked on Sonic, what, about two weeks ago? Played a metric buttload of BLOPS this past weekend without a single lock.

*Then*, last night, I go to turn off my Wii U, and it hard locks presumably as it was just getting ready to finally power itself down (and turn the light on the front from blue to red). Like, it had gotten far enough to cut off the video feed through the HDMI cable (there was a "no signal" message on the TV), but it just couldn't get any further and completely power off. Had to pull the AC from the back of it... holding the power button on the front did nothing.

GAHHHHH.

Roo

My first Wii U hardlock ever :O
And it was really weird because I was playin Tatsunoko vs Capcom on Wii Mode
I thought it was a just a issue with Wii U games/mode.
I guess not :O

]blacky[;47175713 said:

No, that's definitely not the hard lock the rest of us are talking about, which most likely is a software issue. That looks more like a hardware problem - bad GPU, like Andrex said. I'd get that system replaced by Nintendo while you're still in warranty.

Dunkelgrau

No, that's definitely not the hard lock the rest of us are talking about, which most likely is a software issue. That looks more like a hardware problem - bad GPU, like Andrex said. I'd get that system replaced by Nintendo while you're still in warranty.

Are you really sure?

I have not played on my Wii U since two weeks, so I haven’t got the chance to test this issue. But I want to be sure, that everything works fine when “Monster Hunter” and “LEGO City Undercover” arrive, because I have holidays from work at this time.
I don’t want to send my Wii U to Nintendo. :-(

A few more responses would be nice.

Top Bottom