• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OPM: All the PS4 launch game rumors we can find

I severely doubt all these will make launch for the PS4 (if so it would be the best launch in the history of launches), but I thought this could be a fun discussion and scratch our next-gen itch a little.

OPM page
woto.jpg

Whore of the Orient
This one has been knocking around for a while, but the 2015 launch date may just tickle the back end of PS4’s launch window. Or we hope so, at least. OPM broke this way back in August, when Team Bondi spilled the scoop-beans about an interactive action adventure set to take place in ‘the most corrupt and decadent city on the planet’. LA Noire was heralded as one of the first games to truly bridge the gap between film and video game – rather charitably, if we’re honest – but this follow up from Brendan McNamara shows glittering bags of promise.

YaibaNGZ.jpg

Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z
All of our nerd boxes are well and truly ticked by the prospect of Ninja Gaiden Z. We’ve got zombies from Dead Rising creator Keiji Inafune, a sprinkling of robots, ninjas and limb-severing swordplay – the only thing missing is pirates, and we wouldn’t rule them out. On current gen machines Dead Rising already managed an impressive bustle of undead – that’s the collective term – so imagine what would be possible on PS4. And, with developer Spark Unlimited listing a job for “a third-person action shooter on next generation consoles”, we’re prepping those geek glands for a good ol’ rupturing.

rainbow-6.jpg

Rainbow 6 Patriots
We saw a gritty, wife-bagging glimpse of Rainbow 6 Patriots a while back, shortly before it went AWOL – losing a loved one will do that to you. Now it looks likely to have been pushed back, and when questioned about the possibility of it going next gen, Ubisoft president Yves Guillemot replied “there’s a good chance it can be.” That’s game dev for ‘yes’. He’s confirmed that the team are still working on it, but don’t expect to see anything on PS3 – given the development cycle is in full pedal, expect this one to coincide with the launch of PS4.

thief4.jpg

Thief 4
Eidos Montreal announced Thief 4 around a million years ago, but since then it’s sat resolutely in the shadows, flexing its fingerless-glove fingers. However, the CVG scrying pool has been in full effect, confirming rumours that the game is now being held back until next-gen. Moreover, a job listing at Eidos Montreal has been seen for a next gen game focussing on “player choice” and “stealth”. Very Thief-y. And given that this has been in development for over four years – okay, the million years was a mild exaggeration – a release in the launch window seems likely.

mafia-4.jpg

Mafia 3
The wheels of the crime-wagon are in motion for this one, with 2K Czech hiring for a ‘top secret, super interesting’ project that’s so secret that it’s definitely Mafia 3. Make your own minds up about the interesting bit. With regards to it being a launch title, sources suggest that the game will release in 2013. And if you’re expecting a PS4 any earlier than that, you’re already drowning in a half-full glass of your own optimism.

killzone1.jpg

Killzone 4
Guerilla are currently wrestling with a couple of projects, and there’s a strong chance one of them is a Killzone game. It’s pretty much essential to have a solid FPS to accompany the launch of any new console, and with that leaked Killzone script still floating about internetland, it doesn’t seem like wild speculation to think that a fourth outing against the Helghast could accompany the launch of the PS4.

lbp.jpg

LittleBigUniverse
Yeah, that’s what we’re calling it. Media Molecule undoubtedly has its fabric fingers in numerous pies, including an unannounced titles on the way that’s apparently a toy – no, really – and job adverts suggesting some diversion from their standard Sackboy fare. A recent position advertised for a community manager required candidates to have a knowledge and passion for MMOs, and the LBP universe is a perfect stitched fit for this kind of expansion; given the user-generated content and bubbling community atmosphere, it’s practically one already. It’s widely known that Media Molecule are working on next gen projects; what could better showcase PS4’s power than a groundbreaking first-party MMO.

MX.jpg

Untitled Tantalus Project
Okay people, this is the big one. Forget your Killzones and Uncharteds: the MX vs ATV developer is working on a triple-A title for next gen machines. Could it be a sequel to Cars: Race-o-rama? Or maybe that difficult follow up to Spongebob Squarepants: The Yellow Avenger? The Tantalus jobs page mentions that they’re “about to start a new AAA Next-Gen title and is therefore looking to fill several contract positions.” Cliffy B is now free from the claws of Microsoft. Maybe he’s the man for a PS4 follow up to Funky Barn.

just_cause.jpg

Just Cause 3
Just Cause developer Avalanche Studios have made zero effort to hide their interest in developing games for the next cycle of consoles. A job listing on Gamesutra lists a vehicle designer role and makes specific reference to the work Avalanche is doing on ‘next gen’ games. It’s all speculative stuff, but with a Just Cause movie on the way in 2014, it could all tie in perfectly to smash heroically through the PS4 release window.

Ready-At-Dawn.jpg

New Ready at Dawn IP
We’d love to be able to tell you more about this one, but this is all we’ve found so far. Ready at Dawn are advertising for a stack of next dev jobs, specifically for a next action-adventure IP that will come to next generation consoles. The developer has previously hinted that they may be following Uncharted’s dusty trail, creating a story-driven, cinematic adventure that sounds pleasingly like Naughty Dog’s classic quip ‘em up.

Cyberpunk2077.jpg

The Witcher 3/Cyberpunk 2077
CD Projekt Red has previously shied away from developing for Sony’s machines, but a recent interview has confirmed that they’re creating two next gen titles that will be both be multiplatform. The first looks likely to be The Witcher 3, the second a futuristic new game named Cyberpunk 2077, based on an old pen-and-paper RPG. Specific reference is also made to their desire to get The Witcher onto PlayStation, but not during the current generation. Expect the full force of the PS4’s wonder engine to render some deeply realistic rogue-rutting and trangressive cyberpunk seduction.

MW41.jpg

Modern Warfare 4
Like it or not, Call of Duty is the biggest franchise in the world, and Activision love making stacks of money. We know from this resume that Infinity Ward are currently working on an unannounced multiplatform game that looks highly likely to be a COD, and that in addition to the standard formats, it’s being developed for PC DX11 and ‘TBA’. In our language, ‘TBA’ definitely means ‘PlayStation 4’. It’s not too much of a leap from their to suggest that the new Modern Warfare game could land within the launch window of PS4, riding high on the hype that only comes with the release of a major now console.

I know it's not actually an image from it or anything, but I would kill for a game in proper HD with the art style on display in that Ninja Gaiden Z example.

XenodudeX

That doesn't really sound exciting to me. :/

Hopefully there's a secret Uncharted game under wraps for launch.

Just Cause 3 is next gen now? Dang.

They should make the next LBP in space. That would justify the lousy floaty controls. (edit: beaten like a rented mule)

Xater

What a bunch of horse shit. I can also list a bunch of potential next-gen games and say: "Look at all those games that could launch with a new console!"

Also:

This one has been knocking around for a while, but the 2015 launch date may just tickle the back end of PS4’s launch window.

When the fuck do they expect that thing to launch? End of 2014? Sony should just bow out of the game early if that is the case.

One thing I got out of this thread is that CD Projekt Red might make me buy a new Graphics card when The Witcher 3 drops(GTX 670)

Cornbread78

All I know, is take my money Sony...... Well, that is if you don't try to put out a friggen $700 system at launch, if you are not smart about it, this may be your last and help sink the Sony battleship ultimately....

Also, a 2014 launch would be a disaster, it must be next year around the holidays with more than enough units available.

Eideka

Banned
What a bunch of horse shit. I can also list a bunch of potential next-gen games and say: "Look at all those games that could launch with a new console!"

Also:

When the fuck do they expect that thing to launch? End of 2014? Sony should just bow out of the game early if that is the case.

Indeed, Late 2013/early 2014 or burst.

What recent interview are they getting that Cyberpunk is multiplat?

It's totally drawing bullshit conclusions, but I do think CDPR has been dropping hints that "maybe" Witcher 2 will come to PS3 eventually. They could just be extrapolating from there.

Still bullshit, but there's probably a seed of actual investigation going on there.

I'm not excited about any of those games.

Where is Wipeout? Where is Jet Moto? Where are the fresh new concepts? Let studios like Media Molecule, guerilla games and Polyphon Digital do something other than same old lbp, killzone and gran turismo over and over again.

18-Volt

I wonder if any of them will look significantly better than PS3 prequels. Mafia 2 wasn't the best looking game on PS3. Neither was Just Cause 2. And Ready at Dawn was mainly PSP developer, only thing they did on home console was okami Wii port.

I really don't want PS4 to be PS3,5. Something's gotta feel different. Just like SD PS2 to HD PS3 transition.

It's totally drawing bullshit conclusions, but I do think CDPR has been dropping hints that "maybe" Witcher 2 will come to PS3 eventually. They could just be extrapolating from there.

Still bullshit, but there's probably a seed of actual investigation going on there.

The Witcher 2 Full HD Extra settings at PS4 launch could be a good move

ArjanN

I look forward to playing most of these on PC before the PS4 is out. :p

is Team Bondi really going to attempt to market a game called Whore of the Orient? :p

I hope so, but they'll probably have to change it for political correctness.

Whore of the Orient is a nickname for Shanghai, by the way.

Dusky

I'm not excited about any of those games.

Where is Wipeout? Where is Jet Moto? Where are the fresh new concepts? Let studios like Media Molecule, guerilla games and Polyphon Digital do something other than same old lbp, killzone and gran turismo over and over again.

Psygnosis :(

Not sure what am more excited for Their 4 or Sadness.

Also I've decided that whoever launches first will have a pretty poor launch line up. The second generation of titles launching with the second console same day as the first will be the real 'launch' of these two systems.

Also COD4 or COD7? Guess we'll see how quickly they want to move on from MW.

MW4 is so coming to the current-gen consoles

There will be ports.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I wonder if any of them will look significantly better than PS3 prequels. Mafia 2 wasn't the best looking game on PS3. Neither was Just Cause 2. And Ready at Dawn was mainly PSP developer, only thing they did on home console was okami Wii port.

They also did the HD ports of their two God of War games.

slider

Media Molecule is not working on LBP. A slight bit of research would have revealed that to them.

Maybe I'm misreading* it gofreak but they don't specifically say "LBP" do they? From what I can see from the OP (and I haven't clicked any links) they're just rehashing the MMO rumour. It's just that they've tacked on the "LBP universe" by which I'm guessing they mean aesthetic.

I hope Sony and MS have strong line-ups at launch. Although, as lots of folk noted with the Vita, sustaining it is another thing. And, of course, no one wants competent titles getting lost in a launch window through a combo of lots of competition and a limited userbase.

*I'm ill and feverish so may be missing something.

Musiol

The Witcher 2 wont' be out on PS3. The Witcher 3 WILL be on PC and next gen consoles. Cyberpunk is now only for PC, but CDP is thinking about port to next gen consoles.

Top Bottom