• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Top 20 games purchased on Wii U eShop

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Interesting that Rabbid land performing so badly. It was Ubisoft's most popular franchise on Wii.. could be indicative that more casual Wii owners aren't upgrading. Will be interesting to see if the retail charts compare.
Or that even casuals are burned out the annual Rabbids shovelware.

JoelFB

Vice President, Frozenbyte
I would personally be interested in a sale for this game and I'm sure a lot of others would too. I haven't heard of any sales yet for the NA Wii U eShop. Do you know what Nintendo's strategy is for this? (Either inferred or what they've directly stated to your team.)
I do not know, and I wouldn't be able to tell even if I did. :) I'm sure there's something coming though.

Glad to hear of the success! Blink twice if you can't release your sales figures on the eShop.
;) :) ;) (just me assuming though, I don't think it's the Nintendo style to reveal numbers, and we're too happy to protest against that - and truth be told I don't think we would say them anyhow.)

VariantX

Interesting that Rabbid land performing so badly. It was Ubisoft's most popular franchise on Wii.. could be indicative that more casual Wii owners aren't upgrading. Will be interesting to see if the retail charts compare.

They'll hopefully be buying Rayman legends instead. Seems Ubi Pushed legends and Zombi U way harder than Rabbids land.

pestul

;) :) ;) (just me assuming though, I don't think it's the Nintendo style to reveal numbers, and we're too happy to protest against that - and truth be told I don't think we would say them anyhow.)
Thanks for your effort and involvement in the community. Please don't be mad at me if I now wait a little bit to purchase since you hinted at a 20% discount. ;)

Nah, I'll probably buy it as soon as I get home from work at $20. I tried the PC demo on Steam and really enjoyed it. As long as I can hide it from the wife. She's going to kill me for all the money I've spent on gaming lately..

Fox Mulder

I don't understand buying full retail game at full price through DD. At least the disc version will have some resale value down the road when you get tired of it. That's just me though.

Not everyone resells their games, but I think this console really would benefit from having a digital library, especially more than the others. You could pick up the game pad and play anything away from a couch and tv. Swapping games would be a menu away.

I'm just not going to buy anything in the eshop until they fix their awful account stuff.

They'll hopefully be buying Rayman legends instead. Seems Ubi Pushed legends and Zombi U way harder than Rabbids land.
Do consumers see them as the same brand or even universe anymore? I wonder. Feels like Rayman was cut at the umbilical cord after the first game.

Ydahs

We are happy to see Trine 2: Director's Cut up there. :) The sales have been good and we're loving the user comments. :)

I agree. We originally wanted to do a -20% discount in North America too - just like we are doing in Europe right now - but it wasn't possible just yet.

We're thinking of doing the -20% for the Holidays though... nothing certain yet but we think it makes sense, although I'm not sure if there's enough time since the launch to not anger anybody... Maybe we'll time it with the update that we plan to bring in mid-to-late December (featuring Voice Chat, Wii U Pro Controller support, minor fixes, new languages like BR-PT, and additional vividness to the graphics so it will look even more awesome). We also plan to bring the demo in December.

Let's see how it goes... Looks like everybody's happy with the game so we have good reason to be too. :)

- Joel, Frozenbyte team

That really does sound awesome, but why is there no Trine on the Australian eShop? I was really looking forward to downloading it on launch :/

Haunted

Rabbids were new and hilarious in 2006. I guess this muted reception to anything Rabbids is what 6 years of annual releases can do to a franchise (even though Go Home was great).

Of course, it's probably a combination of those two. How are the other 2 shovelware party game collections doing on WiiU?

JoelFB

Vice President, Frozenbyte
Nah, I'll probably buy it as soon as I get home from work at $20. I tried the PC demo on Steam and really enjoyed it. As long as I can hide it from the wife. She's going to kill me for all the money I've spent on gaming lately..
[marketing speak]Get her hooked on Trine 2 and she'll forgive you. :)[/marketing speak] The GamePad should be really intuitive so co-op should be fun (although admittedly using Wii Remotes + Nunchuks is not super ideal because there's just not enough buttons).

That really does sound awesome, but why is there no Trine on the Australian eShop? I was really looking forward to downloading it on launch :/
Sorry! :( There's going to be a small delay... We submitted the game too late to the age ratings board. It should be in the process now and if there's any luck we (Nintendo) should be able to just push a button to make it live once we have the rating. We're estimating the game will be available by mid-December... This was totally our own fault, it was just so crazy at the time that this was neglected a bit too long sadly. :(

Wow, Trine 2 does look good! Now i hope thegameplay is better than the first one. It was a bit easy and boring after a while.p imo. But dayum, this game looks good on Wii-U.

bumpkin

I've yet to partake of any eShop goodness, but I have some strong contenders for what'll be my first purchases. Nano Assault and Mighty Switch Force are the forerunners, for sure. Has anyone seen Wii U eShop pre-paid cards in stores like Best Buy yet?

onilink88

Ok, who else thinks we should petition nintendo to release the Japanese garden tech demo as a free download on the eShop? I'm a sucker for soothing ambient demos, I must have spent hours in Flower just contemplating the stages attract mode.

Yes, please!

This is something Nintendo probably shouldn't have given third parties freedom over. I expect all PS4/720 games to be on PSN/XBLA as well as having their retail versions.

I agree with this. Sometimes being dicks to devs for the benefit of your consumers is a good thing. 360's mandatory demos for every single XBLA title for example.

By the way, does the eShop rating let you rate even retail games as long as they are played for one hour?

Yep.

I gave Nintendo Land to my sister since she was gifted the basic set and really wanted to play Nintendo Land so I downloaded one as my own

By the way, does the eShop rating let you rate even retail games as long as they are played for one hour?
Yep. 1 hour playtime retail and digital to rate.

Speaking of ratings, here's the current totals for the US eShop:

Nintendo Land (3000)
New Super Mario Bros. U (2398)
ZombiU (1150)
Nettlix (979)
Call of Duty: Black Ops II (524)
Assassin's Creed III (359)
Scribblenauts Unlimited (299)
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed (266)
Nano Assault Neo (199)
Little Inferno (196)
Trine 2: Director's Cut (182)
YouTube (167)
Batman: Arkham City Armored Edition (157)
Hulu Plus (148)
Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge (145)
Amazon Instant Video (102)
Tekken Tag Tournament 2: Wii U Edition (93)
Darksiders II (69)
Mighty Switch Force! Hyper Drive Edition (67)
Disney Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two (58)
Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper (50)
Mass Effect 3: Special Edition (48)
Madden NFL 13 (40)
Skylanders Giants (30)
Rabbids Land (24)
Tank! Tank! Tank! (24)
Just Dance 4 (21)
EA Sports FIFA Soccer 13 (17)
SiNG Party (14)
Chasing Aurora (12)
NBA 2K13 (10)
Transformers Prime: The Game (8)
ESPN Sports Connection (7)
Your Shape: Fitness Evolved 2013 (6)
Funky Barn (3)
Game Party Champions (2)
Wipeout 3 (2)
Ben 10 Omniverse (1)
Uplay (1)

I agree with this. Sometimes being dicks to devs for the benefit of your consumers is a good thing. 360's mandatory demos for every single XBLA title for example.
Also not Steam-like. :3

test_account

XP-39C²
Thanks for the info :) Sales info wise, that is a bit pity. There will be no real indication what the minimum amount of copies that are sold through the eShop, except for the games that only excist on the eShop of course. Not a big problem for me personally though, as the minimum number doesnt tell much about about how much in total a game as sold. But i still enjoy those small tidbits about digital sales, at least we will have them for games that are only available through digital download, that is good :)

EDIT: By the way, how does the rating works if the game doesnt excist on the eShop, like Black Ops 2. Is there a own seperate list where you can see the ratings?

Pitmonkey

So far I have purchased Nano Assault and AC3 thought the E-shop, I need to pick up Trine though. The AC3 download and install was BRUTAL though. Nintendo needs to work on that. Totally takes away the concept of "eh, i'll just buy it and download it tonight." It's not worth the wait. honestly, 6-7 hours download/install on a 50 down connection.

Meelow

Banned
Really happy about this list (even though Tekken should get more sales), hopefully this will convince companies to put they're games on the eShop and to convince that Nintendo fans/Wii U owners like to play core games.

olimpia84

The only title I downloaded so far is Nano Assault and I'm extremely impressed, imo is a must have title for all WiiU owners considering how good it is and how cheap. Also I cant' believe they packed everything into 80MB.

I think my next purchase will be Trine 2.

A bit surprised to see Trine 2. A week after Wii U's launch, with everyone scrambling to play and review the system itself and its more high profile games, I never saw a Trine 2 review. I literally know nothing about the game except that it's very good-looking in screenshots. :p

I really want to know how the ratings and sales are related. On 3DS, I just assume the sales are at least 10x the ratings, but it's likely more (like 20x on average). Of course, it's not accurate at all, but still.

Thanks for the info :) Sales info wise, that is a bit pity. There will be no real indication what the minimum amount of copies that are sold through the eShop, except for the games that only excist on the eShop of course. Not a big problem for me personally though, as the minimum number doesnt tell much about about how much in total a game as sold. But i still enjoy those small tidbits about digital sales, at least we will have them for games that are only available through digital download, that is good :)

EDIT: By the way, how does the rating works if the game doesnt excist on the eShop, like Black Ops 2. Is there a own seperate list where you can see the ratings?

The game exists on the E Shop, it just doesnt have a download. You can view videos and screenshots, as well as game info.

I know the numbers are small and the available games limited, but outside of Japan that's the first video game sales list in a while that makes me want to post that Jack Nicholson nodding in approval gif.

I really want to know how the ratings and sales are related. On 3DS, I just assume the sales are at least 10x the ratings, but it's likely more (like 20x on average). Of course, it's not accurate at all, but still.

I recall with the Wii someone was getting the Wii Shop sales numbers off Nintendo's webpage data. I used to keep track of the sales vs. ratings but I believe it turned out to be pointless as the differences were an order of magnitude and didn't seem to follow any major patterns (other than casual games = more sales per ratings, and over time more sales per ratings). I wonder if I still have that excel file somewhere.

EDIT: Doesn't look I do. It would be different anyhow with the Miiverse and more familiarity with DD these days. I wouldn't be surprised though if the differences in sales per rating are still huge.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
The only title I downloaded so far is Nano Assault and I'm extremely impressed, imo is a must have title for all WiiU owners considering how good it is and how cheap. Also I cant' believe they packed everything into 50MB.

I think my next purchase will be Trine 2.
Fixed for you. ;)

Nintendo Land (3000)
New Super Mario Bros. U (2398)
ZombiU (1150)
Nettlix (979)
Call of Duty: Black Ops II (524)
Assassin's Creed III (359)
Scribblenauts Unlimited (299)
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed (266)
Nano Assault Neo (199)
Little Inferno (196)
Trine 2: Director's Cut (182)
YouTube (167)
Batman: Arkham City Armored Edition (157)
Hulu Plus (148)
Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge (145)
Amazon Instant Video (102)
Tekken Tag Tournament 2: Wii U Edition (93)
Darksiders II (69)
Mighty Switch Force! Hyper Drive Edition (67)
Disney Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two (58)
Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper (50)
Mass Effect 3: Special Edition (48)
Madden NFL 13 (40)
Skylanders Giants (30)
Rabbids Land (24)
Tank! Tank! Tank! (24)
Just Dance 4 (21)
EA Sports FIFA Soccer 13 (17)
SiNG Party (14)
Chasing Aurora (12)
NBA 2K13 (10)
Transformers Prime: The Game (8)
ESPN Sports Connection (7)
Your Shape: Fitness Evolved 2013 (6)
Funky Barn (3)
Game Party Champions (2)
Wipeout 3 (2)
Ben 10 Omniverse (1)
Uplay (1)

this is me :3 many hours ago heh heh

So glad Trine 2 is doing well and getting updates soon, also thank you so much @Captain N for being ahead of me in the insane rush to fill my 2TB HDD
3AQmK.gif

I just bought Trine 2 last night. I've only played it for a tiny bit, and only on the Gamepad, but hot damn it was looking pretty. I played and enjoyed the original (although not to completion) I've been waiting on the Wii U version due to it sounding like a great port, and due to the gamepad being ideal for the wizard. Previously I have picked up Sonic and Nano Assault Neo from the store.

JoeFu

Banned
I'm waiting for the digital deluxe promo to kick in before I buy another retail game. Probably going to get TTT2 for 45 whenever it happens.

BD1

Banned
Go Trine2! Go Nano Assault!

I'll download Trine 2 once I get through the retail games I bought at launch. Working my way through Armored Edition, right now...

PhantomR

Banned
I'm waiting for the digital deluxe promo to kick in before I buy another retail game. Probably going to get TTT2 for 45 whenever it happens.

Remember, the ddp is retroactive and counts all purchases from launch. Even if you buy titles now they will still count towards the ddp.

JoeFu

Banned
Remember, the ddp is retroactive and counts all purchases from launch. Even if you buy titles now they will still count towards the ddp.

I know, but I'd rather spend less on my next game as I'm not sure what the next eshop purchase I'm going get after Tekken is.

Also eshop music too relaxing. I could listen to it all day

Top Bottom