• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Face-Off: Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge on Wii U

Nibel

Use "Flying Lotus Golden-Noodle-Cage-Lock" move if old

Some quotes from the Eurogamer article; you can read the rest if you click on "Source" below.

It's very rare that we come across a console conversion that radically improves the experience to the point where swathes of text in the original review - not to mention the score - no longer seem relevant, but that's exactly the state of affairs we encounter with the release of this new "Razor's Edge" edition of Ninja Gaiden 3.

The newly restored technical combat system has much in common with the last game, skills progression is back via a reworking of the Karma system, a choice of weapons is available throughout the game and the difficulty level is restored to a level that fans of the series should appreciate, retaining a beginner 'hero' mode for more casual gamers. Bloody dismemberment and brutal decapitations are also back on the menu, and - yes - bosses have a life-bar now.

But that's not all: the hated QTEs are mostly gone and the faintly ludicrous Kunai climbing system has been tweaked. In the process, the game is vastly improved and the character of Hayabusa himself is less compromised than once he was in the older, nerfed edition of the game. The notion of our highly trained combat master continually being "surprised" by goons jumping out at him (triggering a pointless QTE) along with the even more bizarre sight of a master ninja falling off a wall are now removed completely. And as for the enemy begging for his life? Team Ninja sidesteps that one adeptly simply by removing the offending sequence in its entirety.

With no real performance conclusions, we turn to the gameplay comparison in order to find answers. Here we confirm that Xbox 360's tearing issues really impact on the visual quality of the game, and that while significantly reduced, it's still something of an issue on PlayStation 3 too. Wii U continues to run with v-sync engaged, and for the first half of our comparison it manages to do so while keeping pace with the other versions in terms of raw frame-rate too. However, on later stages we find the Wii U version taking a significant hit to frame-rate for reasons unknown - especially on the helicopter boss battle.

Instead, what we have is a title that radically improves on the original game by taking on board the criticism levelled at the original release, ripping out the unwanted changes and transplanting the story, locations and opponents into something that more closely resembles a Ninja Gaiden game the fans would actually want to play. It takes courage to admit that you got it wrong, and Team Ninja deserves kudos for going back to basics and handing in what is an outstanding example of pure fan service. At the same time, it's pleasantly surprising that Nintendo itself would bankroll the exercise and publish a game that is so entirely at odds with its established image and brand values.

In conclusion, it's fair to say that Razor's Edge is now so far removed from the original Ninja Gaiden 3 that almost all of the criticism contained in the original review simply can't be applied to this revised edition. However, while the game is significantly improved, we'd still hesitate to recommend it as an essential purchase for Wii U owners; level design, game structure and narrative haven't changed after all. But series veterans - those who were the most brutally let down by the launch version - should definitely check it out.

Source

This makes me rethink about my feelings towards this version.. As someone who loved NG1 and NGB + who misses NG games, I think that either this or the Sigma 2 Vita will get a spot on my shelf - or maybe both!

Dali

It takes courage to admit that you got it wrong, and Team Ninja deserves kudos for going back to basics and handing in what is an outstanding example of pure fan service.

Wait... what? Hayashi kept his head up his ass and doubled down. People complained about the QTE's and wallclimbing from the moment it was shown, lol. They didn't muster up the "courage" until his turd bombed.

Sounds like Wii U generally comes out ahead technically (no tearing, comparable framerate/variable res to PS3 / better than 360, reworked lighting), though all 3 have odd/unique performance issues. I didn't touch vanilla NG3 but RE can definitely chug in the framerate department. I haven't played it in quite awhile but it does seem comparable NG2 in that regard imo.

I'm surprised DF didn't make any mention of decapitation putting additional stress on the engine though? Seems like a change that would be worth pointing out in a technical analysis?

dmr87

I like Ninja Gaiden but seeing the abomination that is 3 on 360/PS3 made me lose hope, hopefully this will win me back. Does anyone know if there is a demo planned or if it's out already?

Wait... what? Hayashi kept his head up his ass and doubled down. People complained about the QTE's and wallclimbing from the moment it was shown, lol. They didn't muster up the "courage" until his turd bombed.

And yet they could've just did nothing and moved on to the next game like most other developers would've.

kinggroin

Banned
This should prove to be a great filler title during the upcoming drought. If I'm done with Cod and Zombie U by January, I may pick this up if the price drops.

that's all she wrote. if the game hadn't bombed, they wouldn't have so drastically changed the game on the wii u.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
While the framerate really is bad in a lot of places, in this case it comes down to pick your poison: insane screen tearing on 360 to the point you can't walk forward in an empty room without the screen splitting, or stuttering in many places on Wii U. Overall, to me it seems the game's engine is intrinsically unoptimized (especially since Ninja Gaiden II also suffered from unexplainable frame drops and slow motion regularly).

However, other than that, after playing it I'd agree gameplay, content, and features are night and day compared to the vanilla version. Mind you, that doesn't mean it's Ninja Gaiden Black suddenly, far from it.

But where vanilla was just plain repetitive and boring to play, this version is actually interesting and overall a quality action-fighting game in general.

While the framerate really is bad in a lot of places, in this case it comes down to pick your poison: insane screen tearing on 360 to the point you can't walk forward in an empty room without the screen splitting, or stuttering in many places on Wii U. Overall, to me it seems the game's engine is intrinsically unoptimized (especially since Ninja Gaiden II also suffered from unexplainable frame drops and slow motion regularly).

However, other than that, after playing it I'd agree gameplay, content, and features are night and day compared to the vanilla version. Mind you, that doesn't mean it's Ninja Gaiden Black suddenly, far from it.

But where vanilla was just plain repetitive and boring to play, this version is actually interesting and overall a quality action-fighting game in general.

Are we talking No More Heroes PS3 grade tearing on Xbox? Because that made me puke.

Definitely interested in the WII U version of this game.

After checking it out, it's definitely on my Xmas list for new Wii U games. Didn't think I'd say that about any version of NG3 after GAF's impressions and various reviews elsewhere.

framerate problems once again!!!!
this is starting to become a recurring issue with all these ports

uuuugh
NG3 had framerate issues originally though. The U version is just as inconsistent and all 3 seem to have problems in different areas.

Really from the DF analysis, it sounds like the 360 version comes out worst with extreme tearing (to the point of impacting gameplay) and generally lower variable resolution. PS3 and U are pretty comparable performance wise, though PS3 still has some tearing and U reworks (improves?) some lighting and textures. I believe NG3 is also the first DF face off where PS3 was the lead dev platform.

omonimo

Banned
NG3 had framerate issues originally though. The U version is just as inconsistent and all 3 seem to have problems in different areas.

Really from the DF analysis, it sounds like the 360 version comes out worst with extreme tearing (to the point of impacting gameplay) and generally lower variable resolution. PS3 and U are pretty comparable performance wise, though PS3 still has some tearing and U reworks (improves?) some lighting and textures. I believe NG3 is also the first DF face off where PS3 was the lead dev platform.
Lol no.

jett

D-Member
What was the last hack n' slash action game that actually had a stable frame-rate?

Devil May Cry 4?
Ninja Gaiden Black?

Dante's Inferno, if you want to count that. :p It's sad, really. Very few fucks are given about stable 60fps today.

Fredrik

Oh my that was surprising, I've seen lots of praise for the game on Miiverse but didn't ever think I would see it on DF, now the wait for the much delayed EU version is even worse.

I hope TTT2 is the next face off. I'm interested to see if the claims of lower variable res and reduced background geometry really hold or not.

Kai Dracon

Are we talking No More Heroes PS3 grade tearing on Xbox? Because that made me puke.

Definitely interested in the WII U version of this game.

We're talking tearing to the point that you lose track of which enemy you're slashing cuz one guy's upper body is halfway across the screen from his legs.

It has comical tearing.

Edit: In this version if somebody's legs are on the opposite side of the screen, it's for the awesome reason rather than the stupid reason.

Log4Girlz

framerate problems once again!!!!
this is starting to become a recurring issue with all these ports

uuuugh

Its been brought up that the Wii U architecture is too advanced to run these engines without heavy optimizations. Next generation engines should run far better.

scitek

We're talking tearing to the point that you lose track of which enemy you're slashing cuz one guy's upper body is halfway across the screen from his legs.

It has comical tearing.

Edit: In this version if somebody's legs are on the opposite side of the screen, it's for the awesome reason rather than the stupid reason.

I consider that to be broken. I can't stand screen tearing, so the Wii U version would be the winner by default.

Its been brought up that the Wii U architecture is too advanced to run these engines without heavy optimizations. Next generation engines should run far better.
It's like PS3 all over again. :/

Will wait for Sigma 3 on 360. Thank you Wii U Beta-2 testers!
Enjoy what's likely to be the worst version of the game with unplayable screen tearing and limb dismembering frame drops. Though maybe you'll get pink mist lucky instead. :)

DR2K

Banned
It's like PS3 all over again. :/

Enjoy what's likely to be the worst version of the game with unplayable screen tearing and limb dismembering frame drops. Though maybe you'll get pink mist lucky instead. :)

Well they have more experience with PS3 hardware than WiiU hardware.

Kai Dracon

Actually a Sigma 3 version of this would present an interesting puzzle: Sigma branded games traditionally cut back gore and use their own purple magic mist theme (right down to the menu colors) as a trademark.

But if Sigma 3 shows up on the xbox side as well, what will happen?

Will they have purple smoke on PS3, and ropes of flying blood on Xbox?

Will PS3, in fact, get "grey sweat edition'd"!

Those were dark times when PS3 couldn't run PS2 ports without serious frame-rate issues.

I remember it like it was yesterday! XD

Anyway, I've noticed a common trend in all of these reviews...in the U version, Vsync is on. I wonder if Nintendo is mandating vsync for all games?

Those were dark times when PS3 couldn't run PS2 ports without serious frame-rate issues.
You mean this year (ZOE HDC)?

Actually a Sigma 3 version of this would present an interesting puzzle: Sigma branded games traditionally cut back gore and use their own purple magic mist theme (right down to the menu colors) as a trademark.

But if Sigma 3 shows up on the xbox side as well, what will happen?

Will they have purple smoke on PS3, and ropes of flying blood on Xbox?

Will PS3, in fact, get "grey sweat edition'd"!
Maybe they'll split the revision this time? Pink Misty Ninja Gaiden Sigma 3 for PS3 and Framedrop Decap Ninja Gaiden 3 Black for 360?

Log4Girlz

You mean this year (ZOE HDC)?

Maybe they'll split the revision this time? Pink Misty Ninja Gaiden Sigma 3 for PS3 and Framedrop Decap Ninja Gaiden 3 Black for 360?

Port after port its been the same. The PS3 can barely run PS2 games. Worse still it struggles to exceed the last generation graphically. Just compare God of War 3 to God of War 2. Only nerds with magnifying glasses can tell the difference.

kunonabi

I'm loving ng3 on the wii u. Haven't played as much as I like but it might be my third favorite wii u game so far behind NintendoLand and Zombi U.

Port after port its been the same. The PS3 can barely run PS2 games. Worse still it struggles to exceed the last generation graphically. Just compare God of War 3 to God of War 2. Only nerds with magnifying glasses can tell the difference.
Well, compared to last gen Wii U is currently one better (MH3) and one worse (EM2). Having slower RAM than Wii must be killing these ports!

Also, have you actually read this DF face off? Or are you just doing your usual routine in here?

omonimo

Banned

I don't know if you are ironic or unintentional comic, because wii u architecture has nothing of so advanced, really.

Backfired trolls are the best kind of trolls.

This game is good enough that I am probably going to track down the sigmas for Vita now and replay. NG is so good portable.

Top Bottom