• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Producers of Minecraft Documentary upload their new movie to The Pirate Bay

http://pirateproxy.net/torrent/7946763/Minecraft__The_Story_of_Mojang

Greetings Pirate Bay!

This is 2 Player Productions here, and we hoped we could be the first to upload our new movie "Minecraft: The Story of Mojang". We've never uploaded a torrent before so hopefully this isn't all screwed up.

We wanted to come here first because we knew the movie would end up here eventually, and the best thing to do seemed to be opening a dialogue. Torrents and piracy are a way of life and it probably won't be going anywhere anytime soon. There are many people that want to punish you for that, but we have a more realistic outlook on things.

We've been there. We've all needed to do it at some point. Maybe you don't have the money. Maybe you want to try before you buy. Maybe you're pissed at us for premiering the movie on Xbox Live. These are all fine reasons. But if you feel that piracy is, in Gabe Newell's words, "a service problem," please consider that we are selling DRM free digital downloads that you can watch in whatever manner you please.

We're just three guys trying to make a living doing what we love. We love the world of video games, and we love making it real. If you buy the movie, you support those efforts. The reason we Kickstarted this movie in the first place was that we didn't have enough money to make it ourselves, and even then, we still put A LOT of our own money into it. Not to mention nearly two years of work.

Watch the movie. Hopefully you'll like it, and understand what we're trying to do. Please consider supporting us by buying the $8 DRM-free digital download of the movie at www.theminecraftmovie.com, or the $20 DVD from www.fangamer.net.

We've worked with a lot of amazing people in the games industry and had the incredible fortune to make some great films the way we wanted to make them. Please consider helping us continue on this path. The best has yet to come.

-2pp

please delete if this kind of topic/link is not allowed.

pretty cool tho

So its a free film then?
Cool.

Why they don't do 'pay what you want', I have no idea.
Same thing with Hotline Miami, its the best way to fund your efforts AND reach as wide an audience as you can.

EDIT: please, please tell me that the kick starter didn't promise copies to donate... Please.

Haunted

2PP are awesome.

For all you DoubleFine adventure backers, they're also going to be streaming the movie for free all Sunday long. The backer forum will have the links.

I'm kinda pissed after I spent money on this project and expected it to be exclusive to donators. It annoyed me that an emailed 'code' to redeem the download of the movie just redirects you to a generic sub domain anyway, that can easily be shared with anyone...

Übermatik;45679738 said:
I'm kinda pissed after I spent money on this project and expected it to be exclusive to donators. It annoyed me that an emailed 'code' to redeem the download of the movie just redirects you to a generic sub domain anyway, that can easily be shared with anyone...

So they did offer it with the kick starter?
Much like Hotline am getting annoyed at these naive people who ask more from those willing to support them than those are not.

I mean wtf? So yeah as my edit indicates, this is now 'not cool'.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Its not stealing.
Am I massively misunderstanding what their doing?

This isn't stealing. Their putting it on here themselves...
Com'on.

They're putting out on a pirate torrent in the hopes of converting those illegal downloads into legitimate sales.

Struct09

Very progressive of them. Hope this gets some people to think about what they're doing when they pirate and toss some money towards the creators.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Its not stealing.

Com'on.

It's going to end up that way anyways, these guys wanted to get the jump on it and provide the file themselves. As evidence has shown, if you treat pirates more like people than subhuman scum, they take to it rather well and will even go out of their way to buy your product. Piracy will still be rampant, but it is an excellent PR move.

It is still illegal - just because they put it up there themselves does not suddenly mean that the whole thing is free.

Guri

And the reaction of people...

Wow. You guys are awesome. I had a lot of respect for you before, but uploading your own production for torrent is just a new level. Just because of this, I will buy it. Well done on all your hard work; you deserve every penny no matter how good or bad this movie is.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
It is free. THEY uploaded it for free.

Just because it's a torrent doesn't make it illegal.

If it was free, it would have been on theminecraftmovie.com for free. It's not. They put it up on a torrent to beat the pirates and to publish their message

They're putting out on a pirate torrent in the hopes of converting those illegal downloads into legitimate sales.

Its not an illegal sale then. Illegal isn't an opinion, they are putting their film on a torrent to be widely available FOR FREE.

It is factually not illegal to download this freely available file.

On these reasons I think it'd be better to offer the chance to pay what you want so the higher payers make up for the lower.

Meanwhile its a bit of a 'oh lol' to their funders.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
Yeah, I have to say I'm not really seeing the illegal part of this scenario when they themselves have uploaded the torrent and said 'help yourself'. That being said, I think it's a pretty smart thing to do (from a marketing and goodwill standpoint) so hopefully it ends up making them some money in the long run.

la_briola

You don't know what you are talking.

It is the same as if I release my album on bandcamp and let you choose to pay or just download it for free.
They are basically saving bandwidth by releasing the free version as a torrent.

Guys, torrents themselves are not illegal. Many musicians and filmmaker release torrent downloads of their works, even those that cost money elsewhere.

If they have the rights to everything in the documentary, than it is not illegal for them to release it freely as a torrent. People can then download the torrent legally.

However, if Peter Jackson was like, "Hey guys, here's a free torrent for the Hobbit, enjoy!" then New Line Cinema and MGM would be likely suing Peter Jackson and removing the torrent right away.

Isn't the pirate bay full of spyware? I mean just the very act of enetring the page fires up most anti virus software.

So how do the makers expect prople to download the documentary?

If it was free, it would have been on theminecraftmovie.com for free. It's not. They put it up on a torrent to beat the pirates and to publish their message

You kick started them am guessing?
Its free, they've made it freely available.

Sure you can pay but there is nothing illegal in downloading the torrent.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Its not stealing.

Com'on.
They're putting it up on Pirate Bay because it would end up there anyway. This allows them a tiny amount of control where there is usually none (it will also help with getting more accurate download statistics).

It's still a commercial product that they're asking you to pay for. They're just telling you that they accept the inevitable and they won't attempt to ruin your life for downloading a movie.

Just because it is on the pirate bay doesn't make it illegal.

If you made a game and sold it on your site for $5, but also YOURSELF distributed it through a torrent on the largest tracker there is, is downloading the torrent illegal?

I'm pretty sure they'd prefer that you buy it, but they pretty much gave you a legal option not to do so.
I think they made a mistake by uploading it themselves if they didn't want it to feel like a legal free download.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The fact is, it is free. This is the model they have chosen.

Arguing which distribution method is best is irrelevant, they have chosen one and they have decided it would be free with a premium option to pay for it and support them directly. All they've done is embrace changing times and conformed their business model to the modern internet environment.

Just because it's distributed one way versus another does not make it illegal.

Haunted

How could the rights holder distributing the movie themselves, even encouraging people to download it and watch it, ever be illegal?

Skyzard

Banned
Pretty sure Wario64 is joking (then) trolling you guys..

If the devs upload it themselves.. torrents are a good way to save bandwidth.

edit - maybe he wasn't :S

Putting something on tpb doesn't automatically make it illegal.. - although can we even confirm it was them who uploaded it?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Fine, I'm wrong. But if it was free, it should be on YouTube or somewhere easily available than a torrent

Top Bottom