• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 3: The Story So Far

Eideka

Banned
Have they hired a writer since the beginning of the series ?

Dead Space 1/2's stories are dreadfully bad written it's not even funny anymore.

I hope that DS3 is more sophisticated and "deep" story wise.

Grisby

Nice. I just finished my Zealot run through DS2 a day or so ago. Didn't take long because I had tons of upgraded stuff.

Dead Space 1/2's stories are dreadfully bad written it's not even funny anymore.

Dreadfully bad written? I wouldn't say that.

Eideka

Banned
Dreadfully bad written? I wouldn't say that.

I wish I could say it was good, I really do but at the end of the day the whole plot is too simplistic and underdevelopped for my taste.

Naively I hope things will improve in DS3...Riight.

Next-generation better put the emphasis on good story-telling.

fanboi

Banned
I like DS story (never finished 2nd... was @ the end but just quit...).

And compared to other games its above average.

Yea im not terribly psyched for the 3rd game but id play it eventually to continue to story. the Mythos is one that i enjoy quite a lot. I hear the books are good as well (only read the comic book)

Dude what are you talking about. There is nothing wrong with the writing.

Sadist

Writing of the first of the first game is the best

But Isaac didn't say anything during the first game

Exactly

The first game is a high quality work compared to its sequel. Extraction is the best out of the series thus far.
Dude what are you talking about. There is nothing wrong with the writing.
Ah, I see someone is giving the gift of humor this Christmas.

About the co-op and single player thing, how's the story gonna work in Dead Space 3? I mean, if you play in single player mode the other character will vanish from the story?

Eideka

Banned
The first game is a high quality work compared to its sequel. Extraction is the best out of the series thus far.
That I agree with, but even the first one did not click on me. I never found myself amazed by the plot development, the main character or even the setting. I love Aliens and anything remotely linked to science-fiction but this....this is just not interesting imo.

8byte

Banned

There's great irony in someone harping on writing by using the phrase "dreadfully bad written".

dead space 2 maybe, but the story in dead space 1 was and still is pretty darn great. I'm honestly a little surprised you found it dreadful. what didn't you like about it?

Eideka

Banned
There's great irony in someone harping on writing by using the phrase "dreadfully bad written".

That can easily be explained by the fact that I'm not a native speaker of English. I don't even live in an English speaking country for that matter. My opportunities to practice this language are scarce, I don't think it's fair to knock me for my wonky English.
Where I live English is almost an alien concept.

greycolumbus

The success of others absolutely infuriates me.
That I agree with, but even the first one did not click on me. I never found myself amazed by the plot development, the main character or even the setting. I love Aliens and anything remotely linked to science-fiction but this....this is just not interesting imo.

Dead Space always struck me as standard stuff. I don't know what jumps out as you as "dreadfully bad". Something I don't understand is how you think DS3 looks any better. It looks like a regression of sorts, honestly.

Gestahl

I was cracking up everytime Issac had a lovers spat with his psychotic ghost girlfriend in 2, and somehow I don't think that was the effect they were going for

Eideka

Banned
Dead Space always struck me as standard stuff. I don't know what jumps out as you as "dreadfully bad". Something I don't understand is how you think DS3 looks any better. It looks like a regression of sorts, honestly.

My mind can't even process the thought of a worse story than DS2. Seriously I don't think it's humanly possible unless it's deliberate.

Those issues notwithstanding I thoroughly enjoyed both games and am looking forward to the third one.

I was cracking up everytime Issac had a lovers spat with his psychotic ghost girlfriend in 2, and somehow I don't think that was the effect they were going for
This shit didn't help.
ib0rKCimGDNiyt.jpg

My mind can't even process the thought of a worse story than DS2. Seriously I don't think it's humanly possible unless it's deliberate.

Those issues notwithstanding I thoroughly enjoyed both games and am looking forward to the third one.
Oh, there is worse stuff out there.

I liked the story in deadspace 1. By that, I mean the back story and the the comics that were associated with it (i liked the animated ones quite a bit). Crafted a creepy and interesting backstory that I enjoyed. desolation, being alone, etc... these feelings that were reminiscent of Alien.

The games execution on top of that was less than perfect and I did not care to much about what was going on beyond the creepy stuff revolving isaac and his gf.

I have no idea what happens in 2 and 3. perhaps i should look that up one time

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
The story in 2 was laughable. The first game did more with less, the second just tried to do too much and ended up a predictable mess.

I expect 3 will be even worse, there is simply too much story in this franchise now. Extraction got the balance right between story and atmosphere, since then they've gone off the rails.

Grisby

I thought DS2 was way better than 1 in the story department by just having a talking protagonist. And Isaacs VA did a good job of sounding like a normal dude freaking the f out.

I'm not saying these games are masterpieces in their writing but at least they're doing something with their extended fiction. As opposed to say, Killzone, another universe I find interesting but Guerrilla hasn't done anything with.

Having just replayed the game I'd say DS2 still holds up in the writing department. It was nothing Oscar worthy but it never made me groan aloud either (which is a huge feat when you think about it).
This shit didn't help.
ib0rKCimGDNiyt.jpg
That sort of stuff is creepy to me. When your in the elevator and she slowly turns from the corner and comes at you not speaking.

The problem I had was it was a pain in the ass to hear her every time she spoke. It was too static-y. Never did turn on subtitles.

You people are all high.

Dead Space is a horror game, taking cues from horror movies. The horror genre in general isn't known for great writing- in fact it leans on the cast doing inexplicably stupid things to keep the scares coming- and the scares and action are what's important.

Dead Space 1 is better than 2, but both are about what I'd expect out of a similar movie within the genre. Go watch Event Horizon, The Thing, or Sunshine, and Dead Space is right on par.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Having just replayed the game I'd say DS2 still holds up in the writing department. It was nothing Oscar worthy but it never made me groan aloud either (which is a huge feat when you think about it).

I don't think ever rolled my eyes at a game as hard as I did when Ellie came back to rescue Isaac. As if Isaac is some great character that we couldn't bare to see die. I would have given zero shits if they'd used a totally new character like Extraction. The focus on Isaac was a distraction and damages the game, all the segments regarding his dead girlfriend simply annoyed me, as did his connection to the marker.

He was a man in a spacesuit and never needed to be more than that, just like Samus in the Metroid series.

I thought DS2 was way better than 1 in the story department by just having a talking protagonist. And Isaacs VA did a good job of sounding like a normal dude freaking the f out.

I'm not saying these games are masterpieces in their writing but at least they're doing something with their extended fiction. As opposed to say, Killzone, another universe I find interesting but Guerrilla hasn't done anything with.

That sort of stuff is creepy to me. When your in the elevator and she slowly turns from the corner and comes at you not speaking.

The problem I had was it was a pain in the ass to hear her every time she spoke. It was too static-y. Never did turn on subtitles.

I agree with you.

As for the static-y Nicole, it was supposed to be filtered through Isaac's memory of her video message, hence the static and glowing eyes. It didn't fully work cause she was too unintelligible (I always turn subtitles on though), but I liked it.

I actually really love the story of Dead Space 2. And I prefer it because it has a talking, more active protagonist that makes sense. Gunner Wright, who plays Isaac, did a great job as the character. Everything felt pretty coherent to me.

My only wish is that they fleshed out the Sprawl and Teidmann more. But it made sense that Isaac pretty much comes at the tail end when everything's gone to absolute hell. It was a pretty pulse pounding ride for me.

The extended universe for DS is pretty great too. Agree with Grisby that at least Visceral does interesting stuff with the universe it created for the series.

Edit: Manmademan makes a good point.

You know... if you want to get rid of something in space, you shoot it into the sun, not burry it on some planets. Who the f*ck writes stories like this?

You know... if you want to get rid of something in space, you shoot it into the sun, not burry it on some planets. Who the f*ck writes stories like this?

You forget the part where most of the human enemies are psychotically crazy religious fundamentalists or psychotically crazy government agents.

But yes, that's true. Why not shoot the Marker into the sun?

Hell, forget that. Most of the Markers are in out-of-the-way backwater sites, like Aegis VII, right?

Why not just... nuke the Marker site.

nuke_it_standard9zudp.jpg

Bad Writing or not, The line Issac yells at the Final Boss was one of the most cathartic moments in games that I've played. Few games match that moment in my eyes. Extraction as a whole was a very enjoyable experience as well (even playing on ps3 with the gamepad). Maybe it just hits the right notes for my tastes.

I actually really love the story of Dead Space 2. And I prefer it because it has a talking, more active protagonist that makes sense. Gunner Wright, who plays Isaac, did a great job as the character. Everything felt pretty coherent to me.
Yeah no, he did a bad/mediocre job. Some of his line deliveries are rather irksome. "You're not Nicole!" Everyone else seemingly did a better job with their lines, so I don't think the voice director was to blame. Though in his defense, the dialogue for Isaac in particular was bad.

The story has potential, it's up to the developers to take advantage of it.

Since there isn't an over abundance of horror sci-fi games out there, they have a default element of uniqueness in their franchise that can attract people and keep them interested, the marker and the mysteries that surround it are intriguing as is unitology, but it's going to get real stale if they keep pushing Necromorph outbreaks ala Resident Evil and oversaturate the game with action setpieces and creature reveals without any insight into the actual plot.

The story has potential, it's up to the developers to take advantage of it.

Since there isn't an over abundance of horror sci-fi games out there, they have a default element of uniqueness in their franchise that can attract people and keep them interested, the marker and the mysteries that surround it are intriguings as is unitology, but it's going to get real stale if they keep pushing Necromorph outbreaks ala Resident Evil and oversaturate the game with action setpieces and creature reveals without any insight into the actual plot.

Apparently, this time they're tackling "the source", so I'm hoping for some answers this time.

Dead Space: Aftermath spoilers
One of the only ways to destroy a Marker is to launch it into a star or something equivalent like a ship's engine.
Whaaaaa, no he was awesome.
Sure, sure.
You forget the part where most of the human enemies are psychotically crazy religious fundamentalists or psychotically crazy government agents.

But yes, that's true. Why not shoot the Marker into the sun?

Hell, forget that. Most of the Markers are in out-of-the-way backwater sites, like Aegis VII, right?

Why not just... nuke the Marker site.
A nuclear weapon, at least not a modern one, would be enough to destroy a Marker. As far as I know.

Dascu

I don't even remember most of the stuff from this video. Was it all tucked away in audio logs or something?

By the way, it sounds awful. Why did they have to turn this nice self-contained story from the first game into some massive conspiracy and religious drama that has apparently been going on for hundreds of years?

Apparently, this time they're tackling "the source", so I'm hoping for some answers this time.

I hope you're right, because thus far we're getting more information of what's going on from expanded universe stuff than the games themselves, I like the fact that the franchise has an EU at all but the storyline needs to get meatier, they need to focus in atmosphere and storytelling as much as in gameplay if they want to keep people invested in this series.

I don't even remember most of the stuff from this video. Was it all tucked away in audio logs or something?

By the way, it sounds awful. Why did they have to turn this nice self-contained story from the first game into some massive conspiracy and religious drama that has apparently been going on for hundreds of years?
The end of the first game already hinted at all of this, with the revelation that
there were many markers out there and that unitology was a lie.

zoukka

The most important thing: you could progress while the story was told most of the time. So I overlook the cheese in this series.

That's been part of the series since the first game. The first game was hardly self-contained.

I don't think ever rolled my eyes at a game as hard as I did when Ellie came back to rescue Isaac. As if Isaac is some great character that we couldn't bare to see die. I would have given zero shits if they'd used a totally new character like Extraction. The focus on Isaac was a distraction and damages the game, all the segments regarding his dead girlfriend simply annoyed me, as did his connection to the marker.

He was a man in a spacesuit and never needed to be more than that, just like Samus in the Metroid series.

Not only was he supposed to be just some dude kind of. Just some normal guy. Hence why his skills and offensive prowess in the first game seems so gimped.

Btw, i am fine with the isaac girlfriend story. It was good in dead space 1 and gave a reason for isaac to not crawl into a ball and commit suicide.

K' Dash

Dead Space it's one of a kind game, currently there are no action horror sci-fi games, I will always support Visceral for the EXCELLENT work they have done with Dead Space IP, I'm sure DS3 will be a fucking awesome game.

Also, DS2 rocks my socks, Brilliant game, come at me Salsa >:)

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
The story in these games has always been highly convoluted and I always got the feeling they were making it up as they went along. I'm not really excited for DS3's story because I get the feeling it's going to be pretty underwhelming either way.

Top Bottom