• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 3: The Story So Far

The story in these games has always been highly convoluted and I always got the feeling they were making it up as they went along. I'm not really excited for DS3's story because I get the feeling it's going to be pretty underwhelming either way.

How so? It's practically about an
alien artifact that turns dead people into monsters, that then seek the device back to trigger some kind of "convergence event" with yet unknown effect. The artifact ironically enough produces a dead space field that nullifies the monsters it creates at a range for yet unknown reasons.
all these elements were present on the first game, and the last stages of the game indicated they pretty much knew where they were going from the very beginning.

Btw, in terms of story;

Dead Space Extraction >>> Dead Space >>> Dead Space 2
I agree.
Not for nothing, but are you out of your fucking mind?

I mean we're talking about thriller/chiller writing, and all the ds game plots and dialogue have been more than serviceable, certainly better than the equivalent ilk we see in other games (resident evil 6 takes the cake for laughably bad dialogue and storytelling).
More than serviceable? 2? *laughs* Don't call him crazy when even crappier series are lowering your standards.

Eideka

Banned
It would seem he has higher standards than you and I can't fault him for that.

My statement was hyperbolic all things considered, especially for the first one but I was so disappointed by how the psychological side was handled in DS2. I did not feel any real tension nor suspense, I was waiting for a climatic moment that never came. A revelation, an epiphany, a turning point that could change the way Isaac confronts his environment.

What about really scary psychotic episodes ? Lenghty hallucinations that would have a real impact on the gameplay. See, that's where next-generation has to improve : gameplay and story have to be intertwined in a more suble and diegetic way. This is what I would have loved to see in Dead Space and given Isaac's condition I can't help but think this is a missed opportunity.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Really surprised to see all the hate for 2's story. I expected to dislike it going in but wound up liking it a lot.

I think people expected it to advance the plot further, I felt they kind of made justice to Isaac's character arc but everything else was left hanging.

Eideka

Banned
I think people expected it to advance the plot further, I felt they kind of made justice to Isaac's character arc but everything else was left hanging.

That was my impression as well and I'm not alone in this. I understand that writing comes distant second in their mind and the lackluster story has never prevented me from enjoying DS1 & 2.
At this point it's a bonus and not a requirement. If they want to put the narration forward one day that's fine by me. I'm a sucker for story/character driven games, hence why the new Tomb Raider is one of my most anticipated games of 2013.

Btw, in terms of story;

Dead Space Extraction >>> Dead Space >>> Dead Space 2

My man.

If DS3 was a not-on-rails co-op like in DS:Extraction without all the dudebro I would definitely feel it more. Maybe something like making Lexine the other playable character since she seems to have interesting psychic abilities like they are trying to do with dudebro Carver now.

I always thought they would go for the Lexine co-op arc because she also plays a big part in Extraction and the DS2: Severed DLC. Shame if they don't do anything with her in the games and I hope Visceral doesn't push her story off into one of those horrible expanded universe things I don't like.

The Dead Space series is league better then many other horror games when it comes to quality, writing, and overall production. The hate, while to each their own, really makes me think..."SAY WHATTTTTTTTTT????"

scitek

dead space 2 maybe, but the story in dead space 1 was and still is pretty darn great. I'm honestly a little surprised you found it dreadful. what didn't you like about it?

It was incredibly unoriginal, that's the only problem I had with the story in the first game. It was just a mash-up of Alien and Event Horizon.

EDIT: BTW, Isaac speaking was a great move because of the quality of his VA. Easily one of the best performances in a game I can remember.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I like Dead Space best at its core. I never really needed the 'oh here's all these characters' of extraction or even partially DS 2. The best parts of Dead Space are just when it's simply 'you're alone, this place is fucked, and you don't know why, but you know it's gonna get real bad, real soon'

Less dialogue and cutscenes please. All I need is recorded messages. And I don't want returning characters like Isaac. I have no attachment to you. I'm attached to your awesome suit.

Also the line 'he managed to escape but just barely...' is redundant.

Kinyou

My mind can't even process the thought of a worse story than DS2. Seriously I don't think it's humanly possible unless it's deliberate.

Those issues notwithstanding I thoroughly enjoyed both games and am looking forward to the third one.
haha, jesus christ. I guess you never played any of the call of dutys or every other kind of dudebro games out there.

DS2 story is hardly one of my favorites but that the main plot was actually about Issac dealing with the death of his girlfriend is rather commendable. Usually are game stories just straightforward

I like Dead Space best at its core. I never really needed the 'oh here's all these characters' of extraction or even partially DS 2. The best parts of Dead Space are just when it's simply 'you're alone, this place is fucked, and you don't know why, but you know it's gonna get real bad, real soon'

Less dialogue and cutscenes please. All I need is recorded messages. And I don't want returning characters like Isaac. I have no attachment to you. I'm attached to your awesome suit.

Also the line 'he managed to escape but just barely...' is redundant.

You realize you can't make anything else but some kind of one shot story like that right? There are series about the gameplay and series about atmosphere and storytelling, which do you think Dead Space falls into?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
You realize you can't make anything else but some kind of one shot story like that right? There are series about the gameplay and series about atmosphere and storytelling, which do you think Dead Space falls into?

What are you talking about, Silent Hill did that for years. It's why they had a new protagonist with no relation or little relation to the prior ones. Resident Evil 1 and 2 did the same thing. You can absolutely do that more than once.

What are you talking about, Silent Hill did that for years. It's why they had a new protagonist with no relation or little relation to the prior ones. Resident Evil 1 and 2 did the same thing. You can absolutely do that more than once.

You can, doing one shots as I said. If you want to have an overarching story you need returning characters and good storytelling.

Sadist

My man.

If DS3 was a not-on-rails co-op like in DS:Extraction without all the dudebro I would definitely feel it more. Maybe something like making Lexine the other playable character since she seems to have interesting psychic abilities like they are trying to do with dudebro Carver now.

I always thought they would go for the Lexine co-op arc because she also plays a big part in Extraction and the DS2: Severed DLC. Shame if they don't do anything with her in the games and I hope Visceral doesn't push her story off into one of those horrible expanded universe things I don't like.
Lexine is great, it's still a big bummer they haven't done anything with her except for the DS2 DLC. Which I didn't play :( The characters in general are great, but Extraction gave us a bit more backstory about the Ishimura and the mining colony.

The reason why I'm a bit dissappointed by Dead Space's story is the lack of including the Church of Unitology. I know Michael Altman the founded the church, I know about their obsession with the markers and Isaac's mother is (was?) a high ranking officer within the church. But there is no background on other high ranking officers, conspiracy theories and if they truly know about the Necromorphs. Isaac's fight is essentialy a duel with a faceless enemy. In this particular case, I'd love to see a real nemesis.

Lexine is great, it's still a big bummer they haven't done anything with her except for the DS2 DLC. Which I didn't play :( The characters in general are great, but Extraction gave us a bit more backstory about the Ishimura and the mining colony.

The reason why I'm a bit dissappointed by Dead Space's story is the lack of including the Church of Unitology. I know Michael Altman is the founded the church, I know about their obsession with the markers and Isaac's mother is (was?) a high ranking officer within the church. But there is no background on other high ranking officers, conspiracy theories and if they truly know about the Necromorphs. Isaac's fight is essentialy a duel with a faceless enemy. In this particular case, I'd love to see a real nemesis.
You should read Dead Space: Martyr if you haven't yet. An interesting look at the origins of Unitology and the truth of Michael Altman.

The reason why I'm a bit dissappointed by Dead Space's story is the lack of including the Church of Unitology. I know Michael Altman the founded the church, I know about their obsession with the markers and Isaac's mother is (was?) a high ranking officer within the church. But there is no background on other high ranking officers, conspiracy theories and if they truly know about the Necromorphs. Isaac's fight is essentialy a duel with a faceless enemy. In this particular case, I'd love to see a real nemesis.

Unitology is significantly expanded upon in expanded universe media, the first book in particular shows you how the church was founded and that
Altman was just a normal guy trying to stop the black marker much like Isaac, then he was murdered and made a martyr

But I agree, they have to leave the character's individual story arcs aside and develop the Marker/Unitology/Necromorph plot further, seeing the trailers however it seems they are dwelling into the hallucinations/psychological part again with carver at least.

Sadist

Huh, the more you know.

But I'm not to big on reading books or checking on other media products about games. Let me put it this way; I absolutely hated the two Dead Space animated features. :p

Draft

Dead Space, like a lot of mass consumption ready sci-fi, is really compelling at first when most of the back story is hints and whispers. What's the marker? What are these monsters? What is going on with Nicole? Answering those questions always hurts the story. Not knowing isn't intrinsically better, but vague plot points are easier to make interesting. Once the story gets bogged down in specifics things usually go to shit.

When things get bogged down in specifics AND the narrative now needs to support a sequel? Forget about it.

DS1 had the best story because it had the least story. The lack of details, silent protagonist and small cast all came together and created an immersive experience that allowed the players imagination to fill in the blanks. I don't think the DS2 story was bad but talking Isaac and the expanded cast didn't do the story telling any favors. Now that DS is going to have some dude tagging along the entire time? More dialog, more details, more plot points, but the experience will be lesser for it.

You should read Dead Space: Martyr if you haven't yet.

No one should read Dead Space: Martyr.

Dead Space, like a lot of mass consumption ready sci-fi, is really compelling at first when most of the back story is hints and whispers. What's the marker? What are these monsters? What is going on with Nicole? Answering those questions always hurts the story. Not knowing isn't intrinsically better, but vague plot points are easier to make interesting. Once the story gets bogged down in specifics things usually go to shit.

When things get bogged down in specifics AND the narrative now needs to support a sequel? Forget about it.

DS1 had the best story because it had the least story. The lack of details, silent protagonist and small cast all came together and created an immersive experience that allowed the players imagination to fill in the blanks. I don't think the DS2 story was bad but talking Isaac and the expanded cast didn't do the story telling any favors. Now that DS is going to have some dude tagging along the entire time? More dialog, more details, more plot points, but the experience will be lesser for it.

No one should read Dead Space: Martyr.

So much truth in just one fucking post. I salute you good sir!

Now that DS is going to have some dude tagging along the entire time? More dialog, more details, more plot points, but the experience will be lesser for it.

You really haven't been following up on this have you. You play solo on single player. So there isn't another character tagging along the whole way. Geez lol

That was my impression as well and I'm not alone in this. I understand that writing comes distant second in their mind and the lackluster story has never prevented me from enjoying DS1 & 2.
At this point it's a bonus and not a requirement. If they want to put the narration forward one day that's fine by me. I'm a sucker for story/character driven games, hence why the new Tomb Raider is one of my most anticipated games of 2013.
Oh you poor dear.
It was incredibly unoriginal, that's the only problem I had with the story in the first game. It was just a mash-up of Alien and Event Horizon.

EDIT: BTW, Isaac speaking was a great move because of the quality of his VA. Easily one of the best performances in a game I can remember.
How.

Replicant

Have they hired a writer since the beginning of the series ?

Dead Space 1/2's stories are dreadfully bad written it's not even funny anymore.

I hope that DS3 is more sophisticated and "deep" story wise.

Good storytelling does not necessarily need to be deep. Just because a story is simple, it doesn't mean it's bad.

Oh you poor dear.

How.

Cause not having any reaction to the unimaginable and Lovecraftian horrors happening around you while the love of your life commits suicide and people experiment on you and mysterious alien relics fuck around in your brain is a lot less immersive than actually having something to say about it.

Though if you meant the actor, personally I thought he did a fantastic job.

FUCK YOU! AND FUCK YOUR MARKER!
- one of the best line deliveries in action games.

That just felt good to hear.

ArjanN

Cause not having any reaction to the unimaginable and Lovecraftian horrors happening around you while the love of your life commits suicide and people experiment on you and mysterious alien relics fuck around in your brain is a lot less immersive than actually having something to say about it.

Though if you meant the actor, personally I thought he did a fantastic job.

Isaac does have good VA and the writing isn't terrible either. Maybe the character they gave him is a bit too generic, but the exection wasn't bad.

Exactly my feelings. I actually ended up liking how they developed Isaac.
Although, I don't really think Dead Space writing is above average. It's not below average either, but it's just ok. I actually ended up preferring DS2 for the character development in this regard.

Thing is, the writing is pretty competent for a survival horror in the AAA ecosystem so let's hope they are at least able to keep DS3 in the same vein of quality, beyond that I hope next generation provides another breath of fresh air.

Grisby

Goddamn that part was still awesome. There's also one little bit, I can't remember if it's before going
on the Ishamura
again or not, where he just sounds a bit defeated. Great for Visceral to knock his VA out of the park for the first go around.

I'm glad Ellie's back too in DS3 (or at least I assume she will be) and it would be neat to have Lexine back in there too. Considering that she seems to be 'special' for some reason or another.

I also went back through Severed. Such a weak piece of content.

Erethian

The story in 2 was laughable. The first game did more with less, the second just tried to do too much and ended up a predictable mess.

I expect 3 will be even worse, there is simply too much story in this franchise now. Extraction got the balance right between story and atmosphere, since then they've gone off the rails.

I see what you did there.

Goddamn that part was still awesome. There's also one little bit, I can't remember if it's before going
on the Ishamura
again or not, where he just sounds a bit defeated. Great for Visceral to knock his VA out of the park for the first go around.

I'm glad Ellie's back too in DS3 (or at least I assume she will be) and it would be neat to have Lexine back in there too. Considering that she seems to be 'special' for some reason or another.

I also went back through Severed. Such a weak piece of content.

Severed was alright, but I wish it were longer and a lot more fleshed out. But on its own, it's an okay short story to Dead Space 2's novel. I hoped that there would be more DLC packs like Severed showing off other stories and stuff, but it's a shame that didn't happen.

Hell, I would not have minded a Severed that was like... half the length of Dead Space 2 focused on Gabe's journey across the Sprawl to save Lexine. Could have fleshed out Vic, Gabe, and Lexine a lot. It did feel a bit abrupt. I wanted to spend more time with Gabe and his wicked RIG. I wouldn't have minded traipsing through more before-and-after versions and some new areas of the Sprawl as Gabe. Maybe add in more of the conspiracy stuff, some better boss battles.

tumblr_lowtdvWbyj1qzke7mo1_500.jpg

Will Lexine be appearing in Dead Space 3's main story? I recall a screen shot of a group of individuals talking to Isaac, but I don't think Lexine was in it. She's obviously still important to the storyline.

Really should've moved on from Isaac in a big way. He's uninteresting, as is Nicole. the first game was fantastic but his story really didn't need to continue on from there.

Agreed that Extraction's story is the best one, by the way.

Jac_Solar

The horror genre in general isn't known for great writing- in fact it leans on the cast doing inexplicably stupid things to keep the scares coming- and the scares and action are what's important.

That type of scenario in horror movies was perhaps considered scary in the first movie that featured it, but nowadays few people find those kinds of movies scary, and rightfully so. They tend to be silly, really-bad, and occasionally, mediocre, slasher films. They might provide jump scares, but that's certainly not the same thing.

The genre of horror doesn't really have an identity nowadays, anyways. (Well, it's always been a confused genre.) The name of the genre rarely significes the content of the movie, or what it's about.

dr_rus

I think the most we can hope for is the end of Isaac's story.
We can hope for an end of the whole franchise and a start of a new IP in Visceral with next gen. This shit with unlimited sequels to a rather limited and contained story really needs to stop.

We can hope for an end of the whole franchise and a start of a new IP in Visceral with next gen. This shit with unlimited sequels to a rather limited and contained story really needs to stop.
Dante's Inferno didn't pan out, so I wouldn't count on a new IP coming out of them for a while.

Have they hired a writer since the beginning of the series ?

Dead Space 1/2's stories are dreadfully bad written it's not even funny anymore.

I hope that DS3 is more sophisticated and "deep" story wise.

They are above average compared to the vast majority of games in terms of writing though?

Top Bottom