• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve clarifies "Steambox", Xi3 Piston one of many prototypes/options

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Apparently the Piston is one of many.

Polygon said:
A Valve official tells Polygon that they plan to spend their week at the Consumer Electronics Show meeting with hardware and content developers in their booth and showcasing "multiple" custom hardware prototypes.

On Monday, Valve grabbed the CES spotlight when hardware partner Xi3 announced plans for their "steam box" Piston computer game system. The still-in-development Steam-optimized mini PC, backed by an "investment from Valve Corporation", will offer up to 1 TB of internal storage and modular component updates.

Reached for comment this morning about the forthcoming piece of hardware, Valve marketing director Doug Lombardi told Polygon that Piston is just one of many hardware prototypes they brought to the show.

"Valve will be at CES to meet with hardware and content developers in our booth space," Lombardi said. "We are bringing multiple custom (hardware) prototypes as well as some off-the-shelf PCs to our CES meetings."

Lombardi described the prototypes as "low-cost, high-performance designs for the living room that are great candidates for Steam and Big Picture.

"We will be sharing more information to the press and public in the coming months," he added.
Source: http://www.polygon.com/2013/1/8/385...ware-and-content-developers-at-ces-piston-one

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Why an announcement in a couple months? If hardware is already being shown then speak up. This isn't something entirely clear like say an Xbox3 so why not tidy up the message, inform the public of what all this nebulous big picture stuff is?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So I'm guessing a blowout of sorts is being saved for E3, then. Perfect time to demo the units with Half-Life 3, too. ;)

Why an announcement in a couple months? If hardware is already being shown then speak up. This isn't something entirely clear like say an Xbox3 so why not tidy up the message, inform the public of what all this nebulous big picture stuff is?

"Coming months" in Valve Time can mean anything.

Orayn

Makes sense, and supports the comparisons I and others have made between Valve's coming Steam ecosystem and Android. There will be a variety of Steamboxen with different specs and form factors, just like Android devices.

Also:
Meltdowns and jeering at meltdowns are both premature at this stage, since there's no reason to believe this is the only Steambox project Valve was working on or what the engineer was talking about earlier.

Occam's Razor man. Valve has been discussing special hardware for Steam in the last months. A company and Valve announce a hardware product, a gaming box made for Steam - as well as a direct investment to Valve. Which of the two options do you pick

1. This is not the Steam box, because Valve has in fact multiple hardware projects ongoing, possibly with a different partner, and they will announce the real Steam box later. This is something else they were involved in.

2. This is the Steam box.

Just because it has a 35W TDP, 350FLOPs gaming performance and the vendor has priced it previously at $999 should not force all logic out of the window.

ibngUkV670Zdcn.gif

Dibbz

Why does anyone wants a Steam box? You guys really that desperate to tie your hardware down that much? Just buy a console.

Interfectum

Why does anyone wants a Steam box? You guys really that desperate to tie your hardware down that much? Just buy a console.

A high end PC with Steam and a "console" with Steam that share accounts, friends lists and some games is pretty appealing to me. A SteamBox would probably go on a secondary TV depending on it's media streaming options.

That being said, Valve isn't really targeting me. They are trying to get more people on Steam such as people who are less willing to build a PC or stick a desktop in their living room.

Piers

As long as its neat and compact, and below £500-400 that'd be great. PC gaming is too annoying and expensive for me imo, so if this can sort of help ease someone like me into it that'd be great.

The Boat

Unless one of the Steamboxes has a very attractive price and allows me to use it as a media center/PC on the go, I can't see myself getting interested.

JaseC

I don't think this is aimed at PC gamers or people already in Valve's Steam ecosystem.

Indeed. If you're already on Steam, you're already Valve's customer and are not the intended audience of the so-called Steambox.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Doesn't dissuade from the idea that it's a SteamOS and these are 'just' PCs that will happen to come preloaded with it. Rather reinforces that idea perhaps.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Makes sense, and supports the comparisons I and others have made between Valve's coming Steam ecosystem and Android. There will be a variety of Steamboxen with different specs and form factors, just like Android devices.

Also:

ibngUkV670Zdcn.gif

That goddam razor never works dammit

HoosTrax

A mini-ITX version that can actually take off-the-shelf parts, but is cheaper than what I can build myself due to the economies of scale. And I might actually be interested.

Weenerz

Banned
So all the games not officially ported to Linux would use Wine? Does that make sense at all? I know WoW can use Wine and work fine.

Orayn

Indeed. If you're already on Steam, you're already Valve's customer and are not the intended audience of the so-called Steambox.

At least not the main audience. I can still see a decent number being sold to current Steam users who want them for HTPC+comfy couch purposes, but whose living arrangements don't allow hooking up their main PC to a larger entertainment center.

I dont want to deal with Nintendo, Im tired of how Microsoft puts online gaming (and all of their apps) behind a paid wall, and Im tired of discs. I've been using steam for a very long time now, and Valve has always been a good company to be in business with. They have great deals, its all digital, and I feel safe in saying that I believe they wouldn't do a customer wrong.

Draft

I hate this so much. I'm on the verge of building a new PC but want to wait until Valve unveils where it's headed. Argh.
Unless your plan is to build a HTPC the Steambox shouldn't impact your timetable. Even if the plan is to build a HTPC, what's the worst that could happen? The thing won't be out for a year, and unless Valve heavily subsidizes the retail cost, a tech savvy user could build something similar for about the same cost.

chiablo

I don't care if it plays games. What I want is a box that I can plug into my PC and stream game video from my main desktop and control it with an XBox controller from my couch. Think OnLive, but local instead of over the internet.

JaseC

At least not the main audience. I can still see a decent number being sold to current Steam users who want them for HTPC+comfy couch purposes, but whose living arrangements don't allow hooking up their main PC to a larger entertainment center.

Sure, I didn't mean to imply those already on Steam wouldn't be interested in the device/s; rather just that they're not the point of focus -- Valve's goal here is undoubtedly to expand Steam and, in doing so with the Steambox, cultivate Linux itself as a viable gaming platform.

Dibbz

Two words: Steam sales.

A high end PC with Steam and a "console" with Steam that share accounts, friends lists and some games is pretty appealing to me. A SteamBox would probably go on a secondary TV depending on it's media streaming options.

That being said, Valve isn't really targeting me. They are trying to get more people on Steam such as people who are less willing to build a PC or stick a desktop in their living room.

This just makes no sense to me. You have steam on your PC, you can upgrade you PC whenever you want. Having a secondary, smaller box will do what exactly? I'd understand if it were portable or some sort of netbook type thing but this I just don't get.

li bur

Seems like valve is going to do steambox the "android way". More feasible than producing console hardware in my opinion.

Joe Molotov

Says you, I'm camping out in front of the Valve Store for the next 10 months so I can make sure I get the first unit sold.

This just makes no sense to me. You have steam on your PC, you can upgrade you PC whenever you want. Having a secondary, smaller box will do what exactly? I'd understand if it were portable or some sort of netbook type thing but this I just don't get.

This is better than both because it can be upgraded. Its essentially the next evolution of the HTPC.

Interfectum

I have multiple TVs and I don't want multiple gaming desktops in my house. There are people, like me, who have a gaming PC and an Xbox / PS3 / Wii. A SteamBox could potentially wipe out my need to buy a console at all.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
I don't care if it plays games. What I want is a box that I can plug into my PC and stream game video from my main desktop and control it with an XBox controller from my couch. Think OnLive, but local instead of over the internet.

Don't they make HDMI streaming devices?

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Steam box does seem pretty much pointless to me. You can build your own PC you can connect that PC to TV and get a controller. Why would you would to buy some company made box. It's the antithesis to PC gaming. Unless you want valve to release exclusive games for it, how is it any different from buying an overpriced alienware.

SparkTR

This has been poorly handled. Does Valve not have PR?

This is pretty much how Valve does things. They go small and slowly, gradually building their platform. Don't be surprised if the 'Steambox' is limited to only 5000 systems initially.

JaseC

Says you, I'm camping out in front of the Valve Store for the next 10 months so I can make sure I get the first unit sold.

I said intended audience! The phrase carries with it the implication that there are people beyond the particular demographic being targeted, which I clarified above. ;)

Top Bottom