• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Ridge Racer Type4 the Greatest Arcade Racer Ever?

Let me get one thing out of the way, there can be no argument: it's a masterpiece.

I mean everything from the cars, those sleek menus, to the ridiculously good soundtrack and awesome gameplay were all top notch for its day. It's style was unparalleled and the game still holds up 14 (!) years later. What do you think, GAF, where does this one stand amongst some of the other great arcade racers ala Need For Speed/PGR/Burnout?

53205-R4_-_Ridge_Racer_Type_4_(J)-1.jpg

Reiko2--article_image.jpg

37479-Ridge_Racer_Type_4_%5BU%5D-3.png

90281-r4-ridge-racer-type-4-playstation-screenshot-wouldn-t-be-a.jpg

Ridge-Racer-3DS-Screenshots.jpg

90273-r4-ridge-racer-type-4-playstation-screenshot-if-you-thought.jpg

mollipen

Still one of the greatest racers ever, as well as one of the best soundtracks ever. This is also the game that made me a fan of Ridge Racer.

Amagon

Greatest arcade racer? No, though it is up there in that level for me along with Outrun 2 and Rallisport Challenge 2.

I'd probably say that Sega Rally 2 is my favorite arcade racer. I spent so much time playing that on the Dreamcast. Competing with the HardcoreGaming forums in time trials through Sega's old SR2 site.

As far as RRT4 goes. I'd say that Rage Racer is a better game than it. But RRT4 ended up being more memorable because it just looked and sounded so good. Rage was pretty bland overall in those areas.

DiscoJer

It's probably the best in the Ridge Racer series. But I liked Tokyo Xtreme Racer 3 the best. I'm not sure that is an arcade racer exactly, but probably my favorite racing game.

It's a really good game. But even in its sub genre, Outrun 2 is better. That game is so good.

Branching out, Wave Race 64, Excite Truck, and Uniracers would also come before it for me.

It's definitely my favourite RR game, ran at nice framerate on PSX, the intro was a classic and the music was so good I used to listen to it at night (Naked Glow FTW). The racing aspect was brilliant too. It's my second best racer after Gran Turismo (PSX). I believe it's very cheap on PSN.

Edgeward

Still my favorite racer. The Grand Prix mode, while simplistic, was done well and the stories for them were good enough. Plus, the portraits for the managers were really unique and fit well with the cool vibe of "Garage Talk," one of my favorite tracks

Still have it on my psp just so whenever I feel the itch of racing on a track with a nice sunset and listen to a cool ost. When it clicks, you just feel in the zone and one with the track.

I think that belongs to Burnout 2...

But hell, in this trying and desperate time for the arcade racer scene, let us celebrate each title with orgiastic love.

Great game.

Sgblues

Well while not the "greatest" arcade racer, it is certainly up there and its one of my favorites and favorite ridge racer in general.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I had one of these for it.

ZVzMt.png

It was made a big difference.

Jonnyram

Dear God, too many launch day memories.
PGR3 on Live during launch was fun.

On topic, I've had more fun with RR6 than RR4, Angelus was a mofo.

Kamata_Angelus_Mk_III.jpg
That's 7, not 6 :p
RRV was my favourite overall, though. Mainly because of the PS2 launch memories that it brings back.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
The last game before they went fully into the autodrift direction.
They've kind of been doing the same things for 6, 7, and the two PSP RR games. If they just made a high res version of Ridge Racer V I'd probably buy a next gen console for it.

I have many fond memories of it. I think it would be hard for people who didn't play it when it released to go back to it and enjoy it like we can.

The soundtrack is incredible!

Ridge Racer peaked with R4

This game and Rage Racer are still my favorites in the series. I have to admit I was pretty disappointed with RRV on the PS2. It's pretty much what got me out of the series. I'll always have a soft spot for R4. I don't need those new games with their damn fancy graphics.

Skunkers

I was tempted to immediately say yes, but on reflection there are other arcade racers I've enjoyed more; Burnout 2, 3, and 4, TXR3, Initial D Arcade v3, PGR3, etc.

Even though it may not make sense, I have to say: even though I had more fun with some of those games, I don't consider them to be masterpieces like I do R4. There's something truly special about how pitch-perfect R4's presentation is and how purely it embodies the fanfare of arcade racing.

It's a damn pity despite it's success and acclaim, none of the sequels really took that template and went further with it. In fact, it's the only game in the series I really like. I mean what happened? Did the team change? Did the management of the series have them do things different?

Ban Puncher

I would enjoy a Ridge Racer HD Collection of sorts, containing Ridge Racer Arcade (and upgrade variants), Ridge Racer Revolution and Ridge Racer Type 4.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
RRT4 oozes with style. Excellent track design, groovy soundtrack from the Namco Sound Team, and it's fun as hell to race forever. I was over the moon that RR2 on PSP had every circuit and music track from RRT4.

The game was the pinnacle of the series.

Not just that, it's also tied for my favourite game of all time as well. Everything is near perfect - handling, music, setting, cards, tracks. Paid a lot of money to import it when it came to Japan and never regretted it. As close to perfection as you can get.

RRT4 oozes with style. Excellent track design, groovy soundtrack from the Namco Sound Team, and it's fun as hell to race forever. I was over the moon that RR2 on PSP had every circuit and music track from RRT4.

The game was the pinnacle of the series.

It sure fell apart after. I don't know why RRV, RR6 and RR7 didn't follow the path it laid out.

This song still gives me nostalgia chills:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M98SX3B-SnU (LUCID RYTHYMS)

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I had one of these for it.

http://i.imgur.com/ZVzMt.png?1[IMG]

It was made a big difference.[/QUOTE]
WHOA. I totally forgot about those.

Also, if we're including futuristic racers in with arcade racers, then F-Zero GX is the best ever.

Elixist

great game op one my faves. my absolute fave is Burnout 3 or Revenge tho. and holy shit PGR still looks stunning, 360 had a good launch lineup loved the hell out of it and cod2.

Top Bottom