• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Exec: Sexism isn't keeping women out of the industry

Electronic Arts executive vice president and chief talent officer Gabrielle Toledano has sounded off on sexism in the gaming industry. In an editorial at Forbes, Toledano said when it comes to sexism, there is a "big disconnect between perception and reality," noting it's not men who keep women out of the business.

"It’s easy to blame men for not creating an attractive work environment," Toledano said. "But I think that’s a cop-out. If we want more women to work in games, we have to recognize that the problem isn’t sexism."

Toledano said she does not take issues around sexism or harassment lightly. In fact, as the head of human resources at EA, she said she enforces a "very strict code of conduct" and leads regular employee training initiatives to ensure a safe environment for all.

Her biggest issue is that the game industry is perceived as more sexist than other male-dominated workplaces, when in fact this may not be the case. At the same time, she acknowledged EA employs far more men than women, and this is an "issue to fix."

"Rather than blame the majority just because they are the majority, I believe the solution starts with us: women," she said.

Toledano laid out three "dirty little secrets" about women in the game industry, the first of which is that many women play games. "Nearly half of all gamers are female and yet I still continue to hear on a weekly basis that 'the only people playing games are boys in their basements.' It’s just not true. So if you like to play games, wouldn’t it be fun to make them?"

The second "secret" Toledano spoke of is that the industry wants to hire more women. She said a company cannot be successful if a team "looks and acts and thinks the same." She said embracing a more diverse culture is not simply a "feel-good message," but rather it is a requirement to continue making successful games.

The third and final "secret" Toledano said is that there are not enough women to hire, especially in the engineering department, at least not yet. She said to change this, support is needed for educational institutions that encourage women to pursue STEM (science, technology, engineering, mathematics) careers.

"The longevity of our industry and the infusion of new and diverse ideas that appeal to all consumers depend on getting more women into engineering, math, design, and other STEM-related disciplines," she said.

Toledano ended her note acknowledging sexism is a reality of the modern day workforce. However, this should not keep women from entering the industry, she said.

"Sexism is an unfortunate reality of our times, but as women we must seek the power and ability in ourselves to change the dynamic. Cast aside the preconceptions, and look for the opportunities and places to make an impact. And I can tell you firsthand that in the video game industry women are not just welcome, we are necessary and we are equal."

Source

And then in Activision, Kotick gets fined for sexual harassment.

But, yeah, need more female Software Engineers to curb the problem. Management is filled with men, but as they grow older, the ratio should be better since a better gender ratio will be taking charge.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
TBF some professions will most probably almost always be screwed to one gender for cutural reasonsand unless someone wants to tackle those reasons (which is a whole another kettle of fish) it will probably remain so.

With video games being more widely accepted than in the earlier decades this is probably the best chance to make a gender shift.

params7

Banned
I'll go as far as to say I don't even see sexism in the industry. Yeah, there's a lot of stereotypes, just like they are in Hollywood. In media, everything is always glorified, Sexuality is glorified. Features are glorified. Characters have no acne. Male characters are ripped, broad shouldered and chiseled with deep voices. Females have low bodyfat, prominent chest, sharp model like facial features. This isn't sexism. And there have been games that break the stereotype. Half life, Mirror's Edge, Beyond Good and Evil, etc.

Infact its a videogame, where I have seen the best role for a female from across all the movies and games that I have played. The Boss from MGS3. This game's storyline left a mark, very intense stuff and great character development.

Also this video:

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/yluvyt/hey-ash--whatcha-playin---tomb-raider

Guevara

Also working in the gaming industry by all accounts sucks. Low job security and pay, high hours and stress, and most people will never get the chance to be the next Ken Levine or Miyamoto. Work on that stuff, game industry, and the women will come.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Now is that because of sexism, or because women generally aren't interested in being engineers

In general males have typically take on the majority of maths based courses with engineering having the largest skew, and I honstly doubt sexism has much to with the reason for it. It's most Probably because it's a job with masculine connotations. Like a builder probably not to the same degree. Probably like male nurses

Rubius

Its not sexism if we objectify both men and womens at the same time.
3382605_o.gif

Her recommendations are good and should be encouraged but they aren't mutually exclusive with the idea that women get sexist treatment within the industry.

Now is that because of sexism, or because women generally aren't interested in being engineers

It's partly because of endemic sexism in society that discourages little girls from pursuits like mathematics.

and the OP? She's not right just because she's a woman. Some women deny even enjoy functioning in sexist environments. There are definitely sexist attitudes in the industry but like all of society it's rapidly improving.

params7

Banned
In general males have typically take on the majority of maths based courses with engineering having the largest skew, and I honstly doubt sexism has much to with the reason for it. It's most because it's a job with masculine connotations. Like a builder. though probably not to the same degree.

Microsoft's Computer Entertainment's division VP came to my university to talk last month. He stated: any videogame begins and ends with programmers, and essentially, a programmer is all you need to create any videogame. The designers, artists etc, are there to provide guidance, but overall everybody in the studio recognizes programmers are the key to the game's development and once released, only the programmers stay there to keep up the support+patching. Nobody messes with programmers, but programmers can mess with others.

Tl;dr - Once females start embracing the major of computer science, they'll crowd up video game development studios as well.

Rubius

In general males have typically take on the majority of maths based courses with engineering having the largest skew, and I honstly doubt sexism has much to with the reason for it. It's most Probably because it's a job with masculine connotations. Like a builder probably not to the same degree. Probably like male nurses

Yeah. I worked in a hospital and 90% of the staff was female, and 10% was male.
And the majority of the males were doctors with only few male nurses.
Some jobs attract more of one sex than the other, because its pushed over and over since childhood, with toys or Tv show, that males do X and Female do Y. And females who do X are weirds, and X who do Y are "obviously gay".

But I agree that some jobs are "reserved" to a class of people, like police or firefighter. The strong category, and males are usually stronger than females so we get more males in the police.

Its not sexism if we objectify both men and womens at the same time.
3382605_o.gif

Ah yes, the game with like 10 women in thong armour and one man (that plays up his freaky gropey BDSM appearance and isn't at all equatable to the women). Nice!

This is a form, or rather symptom, of sexism.

Nicktock

Neo Member
Game industry version of Nora Ephron's quote, "Above all, be the heroine in your own life, not the victim."

This is one of the most sensible, frank and honest statements about women in the industry and sexism; optimistic too!

It's partly because of endemic sexism in society that discourages little girls from pursuits like mathematics.

I can see that, but if they're doing what they enjoy, who are we to say they're wrong? If they're free to choose what they want, who am I to say Engineering is a better choice for you than, teacher or librarian, to name a couple of generally female composed occupations.

pa22word

The third and final "secret" Toledano said is that there are not enough women to hire, especially in the engineering department, at least not yet. She said to change this, support is needed for educational institutions that encourage women to pursue STEM (science, technology, engineering, mathematics) careers.

This is hardly a "secret" to anyone who's ever ventured into the engineering department on their campus of choice. It's just swept under the carpet because I guess it's easier (and louder) to blame everything on sexism.

Her "three little secrets" aren't exactly secrets so much as they are obvious truths that pretty much everyone who thinks seriously about these issues already knows.

I also disagree, somewhat, with her premise:

We’ve all heard the debate – many have accepted as an article of faith that sexism keeps women out of game studios.

As an insider, I find this argument is misguided. It’s easy to blame men for not creating an attractive work environment – but I think that’s a cop-out.
Saying that sexism keeps women out of the industry is not the same thing as blaming men. She's equating the two, as though an accusation of sexism is tantamount to attacking men, and it's not. The issues that came up and were discussed extensively during #1reasonwhy cannot be so simply distilled down to "blaming men," and it's a disservice to the discussion that she appears to do so here.

params7

Banned
Damn can you imagine if a guy said this statement how neogaf would react.

Would have been blown apart by now. But yeah, I'm glad women in the industry are starting to speak about it. I think the situation is being way fucking overblown, like with that Dead island CE off the market.

Emitan

And then in Activision, Kotick gets fined for sexual harassment.

But, yeah, need more female Software Engineers to curb the problem. Management is filled with men, but as they grow older, the ratio should be better since a better gender ratio will be taking charge.

Give me a few years, I'm working on it.

BeauRoger

Unconfirmed Member
If it was a man saying this people would not take it seriously, accuse him of "being part of the problem" and perhaps even accuse him of being sexist himself.

Mechazawa

This is hardly a "secret" to anyone who's ever ventured into the engineering department on their campus of choice. It's just swept under the carpet because I guess it's easier (and louder) to blame everything on sexism.

I don't think the better alternative is to say "women are biologically predisposed not to want to become engineers"

It might not be outright sexism, but there are probably large social gender constructs that have to be overcome to get women into more fields like that.

and the OP? She's not right just because she's a woman. Some women deny even enjoy functioning in sexist environments. There are definitely sexist attitudes in the industry but like all of society it's rapidly improving.

No she is also right because she is Electronic Arts executive vice president and chief talent officer Gabrielle Toledano!

Rubius

Like? What is stopping females from picking up STEM in the Western hemisphere?

Themselves and the people around them mostly. Most people dont like to know there will be a hassle and constant explanation. Its kinda like telling people "Oh my hobby? Video games." Because you just know that they will look at you weird and think you are some kind of sociopath or have some mental issue.

Also working in the gaming industry by all accounts sucks. Low job security and pay, high hours and stress, and most people will never get the chance to be the next Ken Levine or Miyamoto. Work on that stuff, game industry, and the women will come.
Yep, all coming from the company responsible for EA Spouse. When people can raise families and have relationships happily the games industry will be a lot better off. I wish there was more of a movement for free range games. To my understanding Pixar made a lot of changes after Toy Story 2, like maximum working hours.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Ah yes, the game with like 10 women in thong armour and one man (that plays up his freaky gropey BDSM appearance and isn't at all equatable to the women). Nice!

This is a form, or rather symptom, of sexism.

Yeah but it's something that'd take several decades maybe even centuries to fix. labelling it as sexism is the easy way out, with ideas so cuturally ingrained and complex as they are to put such wide sweeping terms with negative connotations. For example for most jobs you won't really find a lot of people admitting to or even really thinking for example being a nurse is a females job. And that is easily intentifiable sexism, the issue is for you yourself if your a male to actually want to do a job like that. And if barely anyone makes the jump that stigma won't change regardless how society evolves. The push is needed but often the push needs to be extremely large for a sizeable amount to jump.

I imagine that one of the primary reasons why there aren't as many female developers is because there aren't as many female computing majors. It's something like 15% of computing graduates being female in the last few years. And this is not some underlying patriarchy thing, women used to be 40% of graduates, and it's been dropping sharply since the 1980's. It's like they just aren't interested.

Tideas

Banned
it's true though...

how can a company hire someone if they don't apply? In my engineering class, it was 99% guys, 1% girls.

Are companies supposed to automatically hire those 1% girls to match a diversity quota? no. they're supposed to hire the best.

So, perhaps girls should start becoming more computer programmers?

I imagine that one of the primary reasons why there aren't as many female developers is because there aren't as many female computing majors. It's something like 15% of computing graduates being female in the last few years.
But the industry is art dominated now, especially with all the middleware. Is there a shortage of women in other creative fields?

faridmon

That is a very intelligent read and it is true, The more Female workers there are in the industry, the better the communication between the two genders. Yes, it used to be male dominant market, but now that, ''gaming'' is mainstream, more females will be programmers, engineers, heck, even managers and directors and this will just bridge the gap the sex have in the industry.

I imagine that one of the primary reasons why there aren't as many female developers is because there aren't as many female computing majors. It's something like 15% of computing graduates being female in the last few years. And this is not some underlying patriarchy thing, women used to be 40% of graduates, and it's been dropping sharply since the 1980's. It's like they just aren't interested.
Hang on, are you saying that Female demography have dropped lower than before when it comes to programming? I thought, it got higher :/

params7

Banned
The exact same things that would have stopped you from becoming a male nurse or male flight attendant (should you have wanted to)

I don't think that's a comparable case anymore. Specially with the nerd/geek stereotype suddenly becoming 'cool' within the last 10 years, but if it never stopped males, it shouldn't have stopped females. Specially today, women engineers, coders don't have that stigma or taboo they may have had, if ever.

Infact, I'll make the argument male flight attendants and nurses being more of a violation of the status quo than female programmers.

Kazerei

Banned
I don't think that's a comparable case anymore. Specially with the nerd/geek stereotype suddenly becoming 'cool' within the last 10 years. Women engineers, coders don't have that stigma or taboo aspect if they ever once did.

Infact, I'll make the argument male flight attendants and nurses being more of a violation of the status quo than female programmers.

Male nerds/geeks sure, but the attitude towards female nerds/geeks isn't so nice.

Computer work was originally envisaged as being a "female job" because many saw it as an extension of typing and similar clerical work that was female dominated at the time. I found this quite interesting given modern preconceptions of the field.

Hang on, are you saying that Female demography have dropped lower than before when it comes to programming? I thought, it got higher :/

Yep. The figures I was just looking at say 15%, down from 40% in the 80s.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The fact is that the "STEM" disciplines are still male dominated. I don't know how you make women want to take computer science and learn about P vs NP or sorting algorithms or whatever, but it's been a problem for decades and stems from something in our early education system.

Biology, in a very broad sense, is probably the most "equal" of the sciences in terms of gender disparity, but that's probably due to a wide variety of factors (including the fact that Biology is the typical path to Med School).

Rubius

Nothing's stopping them, but cultural upbringing means that less females are interested in STEM in the first place.

I did a IT class once upon a time. We had 4 female in the class.
One was a 46 yo ex prostitute drama queen who didnt know how to use a computer (Not exaggerating)
Two young girls who were pretty mediocre with computers
And a cute singer girl who was also mediocre with computers who failed the class twice.
And when I say mediocre, I mean that they all failed programming, Cisco, analyse, Dos, Mac, Networking ect and had to often pass test twice. The 46 yo had to redo the entire Year and a half course because she failed 80% of the classes.

I think the main problem was interest. None of the girls really liked computers, they were there to have a job and IT give a great pay in companies.

Any stats for proportion of people working in a given company being technical vs non-technical?
Sorry can't cite anything specific. I thought maybe the annual Gamasutra industry survey would break it down but it's only available in the subscription. I'm fairly confident most studios are artist dominated now though, too much HD modeling and surfacing to be done. Remedy is one of the exceptions I know of that is programmer driven.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
it's true though...

how can a company hire someone if they don't apply? In my engineering class, it was 99% guys, 1% girls.

Are companies supposed to automatically hire those 1% girls to match a diversity quota? no. they're supposed to hire the best.

So, perhaps girls should start becoming more computer programmers?

Rather society should start representating female programmes in a more glamorous light. I mean law by itself isn't particularily glamours as any lawyer would tell you but public perception of it is. which is why it tends to be oversubscriped. Media generals perception of these things would need to change before we get anywhere.

The fact is that the "STEM" disciplines are still male dominated.

Depends on the STEM in question. At least for my university, Computing and Engineering are massively male dominated. Physics is male dominated. Chemistry is split down the middle. Biology is slightly favoring women (60-40 roughly). Psychology and Sociology are massively female favored (80-20).

On average, yeah, more men in STEM than women, but you need to look at the sub-components to get a clearer idea.

params7

Banned
Male nerds/geeks sure, but the attitude towards female nerds/geeks isn't so nice.

You're kidding right? I don't see this the case at all. Why the hell else is it so cool and announce yourself as 'Girl gamer' and not 'Guy gamer' ?

All girls who I know are gamers never try to hide the fact that they are gamers, they're quite proud of the hobby. Infact its the guys I know that often try to hide their nerdy hobbies in new social groups.

Top Bottom