• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Turning flash games on its head with Westerado (Wild ARMs meets Red Dead Redemption)

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
bHEGKGS.png

So I'm surprised there wasn't a thread for this snazzy little creation. I'm currently running through it and enjoying it thoroughly. The controls may seem a little obtuse at times, but you get the hang of things within the first 10mins. Also that music~ *swoon*

http://games.adultswim.com/westerado-action-online-game.html

Have at you!

Yes, this is made by 3rd year classmates of mine and they have done a great job. Especially seeing the core team was only four and the art was made by only one guy!

It is really cool and it has evolved amazingly in the months they've spent making it.

I'm so proud!

dreamfall

So I just played this for more than an hour, and I'm super impressed. I wish there were Safe houses to save progress, and I died before visiting the Haberdasher. I love reloading individual bullets, and all the missions so far have been great.

I would totally buy this. I wish they'd put it up to Greenlight or something.

If they had more combat options to shoot up instead of just horizontally, it'd be incredible. If we could ride horses throughout the map instead of just fast travel, it would be even more rad. The music is completely fitting, and the dialogue is really awesome. The interiors of the houses/Saloons are perfect- and playing cards was also a great surprise.

Had to draw a gun to get her to stop talking. Gah- so perfect! Thanks for creating the thread, speedpop!

ie5o6GXvTcDLo.png

Corum

Brilliant - would buy it if an Android version was released.

1 question, the first job given from the sheriff in Clintwood to help at Bob's ranch, Bob turned on me so I had to kill him - can I still complete the job?

Quoting one of the members of the team (from Facebook, ha!);

The future holds many things, and the winds carry many blessings, and if all goes well, we find the time, and Adult Swim's cool with it, anything is possible.

the TMO

Sorry for bumping this thread but I think that this game deserve more love. Is funny and in some way very innovative.

Art is amazing!

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
It seems like a cool game but I wish I could play with a controller rather than a keyboard.
Use one of the many available remapping programs and just set the stick/d-pad as your arrow keys and the face buttons to the interact/draw & holster/cock & fire keys. I don't think flash natively supports controllers and if you learn to do it once it's then very easy to adjust for all sorts of different games that don't support controllers, flash or otherwise, so it's worth learning.

The game is great for what it is, a really cool freebie, but I don't get all the people saying they want to pay for it on a console. The gameplay is way too simplistic, for a commercial release it needs a complete remake with tougher gunplay, smarter enemies, more complex interactions in general, likely remade level layouts to match the new gameplay, etc.

It's worth playing through as is in its current freebie state though.

This game really proves that limitation can be incredibly useful in ensuring such a vivid atmosphere.

That mustardy yellow colour used for the sand really encompasses a nice comfortable feeling.

I LOVE THIS GAME!! Thanks for sharing.

i think i've won. i confronted the murderer and shot him and was presented with a "The End" screen rather than a "Game Over" screen, so i guess that's it?

this game could have probably benefited from saves, but then again if this were real, you'd only get one shot to find the person who murdered your family anyway. :p overall, i enjoyed this game. i would love to see it ported to consoles/handhelds/phones with some expanded content or maybe a sequel.

Weiss

Banned
dat soundtrack

That scene at the beginning with your brother is just all kinds of messed up.

I would definitely buy a copy of this, if only to get a save function.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
If they wanted saves they could have implemented them in flash too. They just wanted this rogue-like-like twist I guess. It does save visited locations you can fast travel to when you choose to continue to get to places faster etc.

Spazznid

Wow, I went on a rampage as soon as I found out you can kill important npcs... and some lady came and tried to shoot me back, but I'm okay, I got her!

drspeedy

A tad late on this thread, but I love games like this and had to comment. Add me to the list hoping this gets an extended release outside adultswim. Fantastic all around!

Fjordson

Just checked this out after Giant Bomb's recent quick looks. Just had to as a western junkie.

I absolutely love it. Impressive how effectively they create that classic western atmosphere despite the simplistic graphics. Would buy the shit out of this if it was on sale somewhere.

SummitAve

Banned
As somebody who likes Westerns and serving justice with a 6-shooter, this is the greatest flash game ever. I hope the Giantbomb quick look will get more people to play it it definitely deserves some attention.

Top Bottom