• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sir David Attenborough warns that humans are a plague on Earth

Status
Not open for further replies.

JollyWolf

We're a plague to each other also. Just turn on the tv and look at all the murders, rapes, wars, torture, thievery, etc. that we perpetuate on one another every single day.

Well watching TV where only negative stories get broadcast over and over is your first problem.

DarkKyo

There's also plenty of birth, life, acts of charity and kindness, etc.

Seriously is this the Depression thread 2.0? I can't imagine anyone who hates humanity not also hating themselves.

I'd estimate there are a dozen evil acts to every act of kindness. Humans are animals and so many of them treat each other as such. Man is innately rotten.

I'd estimate there are a dozen evil acts to every act of kindness. Humans are animals and so many of them treat each other as such. Man is innately rotten.

And you base this off of absolutely nothing.

Also, if human beings are rotten because we are animals, then shouldn't all sentient life be destroyed? What kind of stupid logic is that?

I reiterate that misanthropy has its roots in self-hatred. Stop being so depressed and maybe you'll change your mind.

JollyWolf

I disagree, I think the opposite true, the problem is that the media has filled your head with only the evils of the world. If your thinking was true, civilization would never have survived for 10,000 years,

IronChef

Banned
Whatever David Attenborough advocates or don't advocate ultimately does not matter.

Whatever humans do or don't do ultimately does not matter. We are just another element subject to the forces of natural selection. We like to (arrogantly, unconsciously) think we can control the fate of humanity, and ultimately the fate of this planet. We cannot, at least not to any appreciable and predictable degree (from the planet's point of view). Any large scale action we do will have numerous unintended consequences.

The laws of natural selection and competition will dictate the amount of humans (and other species) on this planet. The natural world will do indeed do it for us.

Conclusion: I don't worry about it. It is beyond my control. It is beyond David Attenborough's control. It is beyond any conscious political body's control. There are far more immediate matters that I do have control over in my own life. Those are the things I rather expend my mental energies and attentions on.

And you base this off of absolutely nothing.

Also, if human beings are rotten because we are animals, then shouldn't all sentient life be destroyed? What kind of stupid logic is that?

I reiterate that misanthropy has its roots in self-hatred. Stop being so depressed and maybe you'll change your mind.

All of nature is rotten. It's red in tooth and claw. All life on Earth should probably be destroyed.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
There is only one fate left to us. To live in space.

wow, ya'll are a bunch of miserable cunts.

No one is happy! We live in an age where a person can visit the world's wonders in less than a day and the greatest depositary of knowledge is available at our fingertips.

Gannd

Banned
He's wrong. He'll be dead and no one will remember all the bullshit he said like all of the people that believe this claptrap. It is a completely inhumane thing to say and quite racist too. He doesn't want too many undesirables breeding.

Tesseract

Banned
He's wrong. He'll be dead and no one will remember all the bullshit he said like all of the people that believe this claptrap. It is a completely inhumane thing to say and quite racist too. He doesn't want too many undesirables breeding.

pretty much.

Gannd

Banned
We're a plague to each other also. Just turn on the tv and look at all the murders, rapes, wars, torture, thievery, etc. that we perpetuate on one another every single day.

Just taking the United States, crime is at historic lows including violent crime. Crime is the exception, not the rule.

Why will Earth be better?

Why would it not be? You don't think the earth and its surviving species would be better off without a species unnaturally filling its air, water, and ground with poison? Our trash, our carbon, and our chemicals? The nuclear waste byproducts that take thousands or millions of years to degrade? The species that die needlessly, not because they are in our food chain but rather they are in the way of our runoff? Not to mention the forests we destroy, the habitats we waste. I'm simply agreeing we are a plague. The species of earth would be better off without us. It's only a matter of time.

Gannd

Banned
I think someone would like a word with this asshole:
3066946-3x2-340x227.jpg

Gannd

Banned
Why would it not be? You don't think the earth and its surviving species would be better off without a species unnaturally filling its air, water, and ground with poison? Our trash, our carbon, and our chemicals? The nuclear waste byproducts that take thousands or millions of years to degrade? The species that die needlessly, not because they are in our food chain but rather they are in the way of our runoff? Not to mention the forests we destroy, the habitats we waste. I'm simply agreeing we are a plague. The species of earth would be better off without us. It's only a matter of time.

handgun.jpg

You first.

neoism

What's wrong with thinking highly of ourselves? It's pretty fucking special that we exist at all, the way that we do.

most definitely... but we are no more special than anything else on this earth but we are definitely the worst....you don't see the other thousands, and thousands of other species fucking the earth and each other over as much as US....

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
People that say stuff like this more often than not are more likely to point to other people when pointed out. "So, we should limit birth/save resources/etc etc."

"Humans are a plague!"

"Yeah, but you are human too."

"But I am special, I don't count! And don't take my privileges away!"

JollyWolf

most definitely... but we are no more special than anything else on this earth but we are definitely the worst....you don't see the other thousands, and thousands of other species fucking the earth and each other over as much as US....

That's because you don't monitor the other species.

I will stress this again, everything we do is thank to what nature has given us. Everything we do is within the natural laws of the universe. So if you want to blame anyone for fucking the Earth over, it's the Earth.

Gannd

Banned

Where do these beliefs come from? Yes. We are more special than anything else on this year. Humans are more important than anything else.

Mozart, Rembrandt, Harper Lee, and Shakespeare says otherwise. Is this the new teenage angst that I'm missing?

Reuenthal

Banned
Frankly I am impressed by the lengths of neogafers misanthropy. I did not expect so many.

Count me as another one in the humans are special and important category.

Where do these beliefs come from? Yes. We are more special than anything else on this year. Humans are more important than anything else.

Mozart, Rembrandt, Harper Lee, and Shakespeare says otherwise. Is this the new teenage angst that I'm missing?

Some guys writing a few shitty songs or painting a few paintings is supposed to balance out all the Hitlers and Stalins of the world?

Gannd

Banned
People that say stuff like this more often than not are more likely to point to other people when pointed out. "So, we should limit birth/save resources/etc etc."

"Humans are a plague!"

"Yeah, but you are human too."

"But I am special, I don't count! And don't take my privileges away!"

You're exactly right. It's the ultimate form of privilege. I never hear someone who say this hokum ever follow through with their beliefs. If you believe this garbage you know the answer. Start with yourself. Humans are a plague and ruining the earth. They won't follow through because they don't like OTHER people. They love people that agree with them. They are environmental fascists. It's all the poor brown people they can't stand. Rich, (by and large) white progressives like themselves are fine. If only if everybody could as progressive and forward thinking as they could. They are assholes. We shouldn't entertain these jackasses. Anytime we hear this stuff we should hand them a pistol and ask them to follow through with their beliefs.

Gannd

Banned
Some guys writing a few shitty songs or painting a few paintings is supposed to balance out all the Hitlers and Stalins of the world?

It has nothing to do with even the greats of our people. It's the mother taking her child for a walk in the park. Humans are a wonderful species with so much love and everything you want to point to is the exception and not the rule. We are less violent today than we were in the past. We have better lives today than we have ever had. Things are going to continue to get better as long as people don't fall for the hokum that you preach.

EDIT: This strain of leftism is dangerous. Much more dangerous than anything the tea party preaches. We should ridicule these beliefs just like we do them but more so.

I can't tell if you're being serious or you really just hate yourself that much.

Someone on this very page just posted an example of a man who arguably saved a billion lives from starvation. But maybe that's a bad thing in your view. Also, if humans are so bad, wouldn't mass murderers be good things in your view?

Maybe I just don't get it.

That's the easy, black and white view of things, devoid of any effort to push for a better world or look for a silver lining. I'll present my changeable view on this, or at least the one I stick to for now. There's more to humans than our problems, there's more to the Earth than us, and we're more than capable of sustaining and maintaining the Earth just as much as we're capable of destroying all life on it. We're at a point in our history where we've made even stronger progress toward making a better future. And we can keep working toward that goal as long as possible, and as hard as possible, until the Universe destroys us. It's not a fight, because fights are winnable. It's an unending effort. Ignorance is becoming the way of the past, and ignorance is what caused us to wreck the Earth. We're continually working toward ways to keep from wrecking the Earth, and even repair it, and if it's at all possible, we will. Humanity is trying to make things right and make our existence right.

No, but the Pasteurs or Borlaugs of the world sure do.

Trey

Indeed they will, further proving how meaningless we are. But we will be gone sooner, and the earth will be better for it. And then it, too, will die.

Instead of thinking in the grand scheme of the universe, think in the context of humanity. "Meaningless" has no meaning unless we give it one.

I dismiss the prevailing misanthropic view demonstrated in this thread. It takes a weak constitution to observe the vast possibilities that is our universe and instead see only how insignificant we are.

bonercop

Whatever David Attenborough advocates or don't advocate ultimately does not matter.

Whatever humans do or don't do ultimately does not matter. We are just another element subject to the forces of natural selection. We like to (arrogantly, unconsciously) think we can control the fate of humanity, and ultimately the fate of this planet.
We literally covered the planet with our shit and are in the process of destroying it.

But eh, whatever, I can already see those goalposts moving.

Zee-Row

Banned
Do you think us as a species has a time limit where we need to find a way to populate the other planets in the solar system before the earth can no longer sustain us?

I think if we manage to populate other planets, we should return to our old planets and make absolutely sure to repair them and their ecosystems to the best of our ability at that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom